Start by marking “Such Is Life” as Want to Read:
Such Is Life

Such Is Life

Scientifically, such a contingency can never have befallen of itself. According to one theory of the Universe, the momentum of Original Impress has been tending toward this far-off, divine event ever since a scrap of fire-mist flew from the solar centre to form our planet. Not this event alone, of course; but every occurrence, past and present, from the fall of captured Tr ...more
Published April 21st 2010 by Ebookslib (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about Such Is Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Such Is Life

Marianne
it was a while back. I read it because it is labelled as an Australian classic, managed about two thirds of it but in the end was dreading getting up to read it, just not enough to grab me. Did not finish. And this is saying something, because I don't let many books beat me. After all, I read all of The Satanic Verses when many around me couldn't finish that. This, no, just couldn't muster up the will for the last third.....
Daniel
Dec 25, 2013 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can a comic novel be tiresome at times? Yes. Such is life.
Kelly
Mar 11, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Furphy’s narrator is a self-educated minor government official, who roams the outback in the company of a dog and two horses, crossing paths with drovers and swagmen and philosophizing all the while. The digressions can be long, boring, and sometimes infuriating, and yet I think they make the book what it is, and it would be an inferior book without them. It’s a reaction to the flowery language of writers like Marcus Clarke. You can imagine that it is exactly the way a self-educated bush philoso ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
This is a great, great bk. To people like myself who're acutely aware of how little respect working class intellectuals get in this society, this is a shining example of just how intelligent a working class person can be. This is one of my favorite novels of all time. It was written by a man whose job it was to drive bulls across the Australian countryside. It's full of wry observation about humanity & careful sober philosophy. & thoroughly entertaining to boot. I've even read it TWICE.
A. J. McMahon
This book is below average as a novel, but it does have some historical interest that increases its readability. It does have one of the best opening lines of any novel I have encountered, which is: Unemployed at last! Apart from that, there is little of note in Furphy's prose style. Its main interest for me was its portrayal of Australian bush life at the turn of the century (the nineteenth to twentieth century, that is), as I happened to have an interest in Australian history at that time. Wit ...more
John
Jan 17, 2017 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fictional diary of Tom Collins, a public servant working in a small area around the Riverina district in the 1870s, mostly dealing with bullock drivers and station owners, with a little contemporary politics of the era.

Most of the dialogue is in the vernacular and is difficult to understand as its not done all that well. It was done in the style of a magazine called "The Bulletin" aka "The Bushman's Bible", which was heavily inspired by the "Wild West" stories of the era in the US.
Rose O'Brien
Nov 11, 2014 Rose O'Brien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining eccentric Australian bush classic, written in 1902 about 1880s bullockies, drovers, squatters and swaggies. Full of Shakespeare quotes, Latin sayings and yarns of misadventures and romance.
Velvetink
50c @charity shop 30.4.2011
Honoria
Honoria rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2017
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2011
J
J rated it really liked it
May 06, 2013
Betty
Betty rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Rasmus Fiedler
Rasmus Fiedler rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Diego Barua
Diego Barua rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2016
Toem
Toem rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Ludo Ledieu
Ludo Ledieu rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2012
Sandra Munro
Sandra Munro rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2009
Susan Cowling
Susan Cowling rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Jason Ryan
Jason Ryan rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2010
Rod
Rod rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Kerrin
Kerrin rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Graeme Murrell
Graeme Murrell rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2017
Nathan Senn
Nathan Senn rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2015
Emily Handley
Emily Handley rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Bradley Gill
Bradley Gill rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013