Start by marking “Shark Tales: How I Turned $1,000 Into a Billion Dollar Business” as Want to Read:
Shark Tales: How I Turned $1,000 Into a Billion Dollar Business

Shark Tales: How I Turned $1,000 Into a Billion Dollar Business

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The inspiring true story of "Shark Tank" star Barbara Corcoran--and her best advice for anyone starting a business. After failing at twenty-two jobs, Barbara Corcoran borrowed $1,000 from a boyfriend, quit her job as a diner waitress, and started a tiny real estate office in New York City. Using the unconventional lessons she learned from her homemaker mom, she gradually b ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Shark Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shark Tales

Lena
In preparation for going on Shark Tank last year, we read all of the books published by the sharks.

Corcoran's was by far my favorite. Her business story itself is fascinating - she started her namesake Manhattan real estate empire with $1000 borrowed from a boyfriend. The book is full of stories about how she grew that business, including how she hit upon the idea to publish the real estate report that gave her company such wide name recognition, her decision to take a full time second job to s
Andrea Samadi
I first saw Barbara Corcoran on "Shark Tank" and quickly saw how many businesses she skyrocketed to that next level of success. Time after time, she proves to be the "Golden Key to Success" for many entrepreneurs who stand in front of the Sharks. I had to pick up her book and learn her story. Who is Barbara Corcoran, and how does she dominate the BEST business decisions made on this popular show? I was completely taken back when I learned her story. I bought her book on Kindle, and listened to i ...more
Mediaman
This is the third version of the same book, written by Corcoran long before people knew her from Shark Tank, and it's mostly cute little stories about growing up. She comes across as very sweet but undereducated and unqualified for her chosen field. She used simplistic schoolgirl methods to grow a business, which may have worked for her but probably won't help most others.

There are two sections of the book: first is the old part, that she wrote in 2001 under one title and published again in 2003
Thomas Gardner
First, this is the SAME book as "If you don't have big breasts . . .", but with a chapter added about Shark Tank at the back.

Barbara is eminently likeable on the show, everyone's favorite. And her working class to riches story is really great. It's a very short book, which can be read in a few hours. Very entertaining. As a Broker myself, I found some of the tricks she used to get to the top a bit over the line ethically, and am not sure they would even be considered legal today. But those were
Janine
I have a goal to read more non-fiction books amongst the fluffy brain-vacation books I typically gravitate towards. I love watching Shark Tank. Not only is it entertaining, but I think you can learn a lot by watching how folks pitch their businesses. And Barbara is a great shark to watch! So I was curious about her story. This book was a quick read and very entertaining... but also full of great business advice. I admire Barbara's go get 'em attitude and her creative way of approaching and solvi ...more
Mari

I've decided to switch off between Friday Funnies and Friday Financials because every modern woman needs her checkbook online statement balanced once in a while. There's no better book to start with than Shark Tales by Barbara Corcoran with Bruce Littlefield. I've been a fan of Barbara's since watching Shark Tank, so when I learned she had written a book (a bestseller might I add) I quickly snatched it up. (Okay fine, my mom actually bought it for me to gi
Barbara Corcoran's business autobiography is a fascinating read, even for this liberal arts major! The story of how she built her business from nothing is fascinating, and she switches the narrative from her childhood to her business life seamlessly, showing how the lessons she learned from her mother helped make her the success she became.
Brad Rutherford
Lighthearted easy read

Lighthearted easy read

An unpretentious insight to the making of a mogul. Sharing snippets of her family instructions and obstacles, Barbara proves the foundations that guided her business decisions. An enjoyable lighthearted read that provides inspiration but not real business counsel
Erin Wicomb
I really enjoyed this personal story of triumph about how barbara grew her company struggling and challenging every step of the way. Also the lesson from what she has learnt being in shark tank were very valuable. I love the analogies she used with her moms lessons so cute and thoughtful.
Marsha
funnier than expected

Barbara Corcoran is definitely not the typical conservative real estate broker. A lot funnier than I expected. I like her management style, based on how she describes it in this book. I would recommend to anyone trying to grow their business.
Kimberly
Sep 29, 2014 Kimberly is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
When Mr. Trump took my hand, I filed it in my memory as the wimpiest handshake of all time. "I REALLY appreciate your coming over," he said cordially, sizing me up and whisking his puffed blond helmet to the side. "Have a seat."
p119
Julia Ray
Amazing story if success read by herself, Barbara Corcoran. A must read for anyone in Real Estate! Learned a lot!
Angelica
Not a lot of practical business advice but an extremely enjoyable and inspiring read.
Barry Mann
very enjoyable audio book, her tales from the shark tank and her own life lessons were instructive and entertaining
Celeste Mitchell
Very good read, both funny and inspiring.
Jordan Dossett
This book was published by another name and now updated to include info about Barbara's adventures on Shark Tales. I found the book to be a quick and enjoyable read. It reads as if she is sitting here telling me her story. I found pieces of business advice bur not a lot I can take from the eighties to today. The update for Shark Talks is not integrated but rather a "part two" and I enjoyed the stories. Barbara is a truly successful business woman and I applaud her risk/reward approach. I'd love ...more
Patric Welch
I normally would have rated this 4 or 5 stars but I recently heard Barbara speak at a conference and she told the same stories that were in the first 75% of this book. They are great stories but they were no longer new to me when I read this book. I did enjoy listening to the remaining 25% of the book when she describes her experience on the Shark Tank. Barbara is a fantastic speaker and I would see her again and/or buy any new book of hers in a heartbeat.
George Kiefer
Great book. The way she jumps back and forth from childhood stories and lessons learned and relates how she applied them to building her business and her business successes as an adult is really interesting. Would make a great movie. Found the detailed stories about her childhood and teenage years fascinating. Her explanations and methods on overcoming obstacles of all kinds is most valuable part of the book.
Michelle Tooker
Barbara's book is structured really well. She ties in anecdotes from her childhood and lessons her mother taught her with her success in starting and growing her business. I especially enjoyed reading about her hometown of Edgewater because my dad also grew up there, so I was familiar with the places she talked about. Now I have to have my dad read it to see what/who he recognizes! A great, inspiring read.
Christopher Herz
Big fan of Shark Tank and a huge fan of this woman after reading her book. It feels like she's talking right at you and gives you fantastic energy to move towards your dreams. If you're feeling like the world is up against you, I'd recommend this book as a big boost. Real world advice, great stories, and some serious laughter - which for me, is amazing to get from a book.

Read it.

-CH
Ryan
A wonderful, inspirational, and funny book! I loved every single page of it!
Alle Wells
In Shark Tales, Barbara Corcoran shares her life in an easy-to-know-her manner. Her everyday life to riches story conjures my utmost respect for this remarkable lady. She teaches by example the basics of kindness, business, real estate, life and good old common sense. After reading this memoir, I will see her differently on Friday night television.
Jenni Steele

Barbara Corcoran is an amazing woman. I first saw her on the today show reviewing the house market. While I was looking for an inspiring book to read while debating on opening my own business I came across this book. It not only made me laugh out loud, it showed me with enough determination anything can happen. Thank you Barbara.
Randi
I love Barbara Corcoran. In this book she interweaves stories from her childhood, lessons learned at all points in her life, with the tale of her ascent to very successful businesswoman. Barbara has a very natural writing style and it was a pleasure to read about her successes and how she deals with the corporate world.
Beth Ann
An entertaining story of how to make it in business (and life) told with humor and humility. I read it in a few days. Well worth your time if you own a business, are thinking about starting a business or love reading about successful, determined women.
This was a fun autobiography. Barbara does not bore us with details. The stories from her childhood are revealing. I enjoyed learning how she built her real estate business. This reads as though there was no ghost writer. Written very naturally.
Kurt Rusch
Very enjoyable book. It had a very down to earth flavor from such a successful business person. It was very inspiring to hear how she didn't let her obstacles stand in the way of her achieving great success in her business and life.
Heather Dufield
So far I'm really liking this book. I've seen her on the Shark Tank show, but did have a clue as to how she got to be there. She really is what the American dream is. She came from nothing and worked her way up.
Terry Jarrett
Easy but valuable read. One of the best books for entrepreneurs I've read. Many common sense strategies on building a successful business. Worth more than most other business books I've read
JParsons1974 Parsons
308 pages biography. Fun unexpected read. Barbra has a light hearted breezy style of writing. I have no idea if much of what she writes is true, but it is entertaining.
  • Wild Company: The Untold Story of Banana Republic
  • Built from Scratch: How a Couple of Regular Guys Grew The Home Depot from Nothing to $30 Billion
  • By Invitation Only: How We Built Gilt and Changed the Way Millions Shop
  • The Brand Within: The Power of Branding from Birth to the Boardroom (Display of Power)
  • How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It
  • Driven: How To Succeed In Business And In Life
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches - Third Edition
  • Idea Man
  • Ladies Who Launch: Embracing Entrepreneurship & Creativity as a Lifestyle
  • One Simple Idea: Turn Your Dreams Into a Licensing Goldmine While Letting Others Do the Work
  • The Best Science Writing Online 2012
  • Pitch Like a Girl: Get Respect, Get Noticed, Get What You Want
  • Start Something That Matters
  • Cold Hard Truth: On Business, Money & Life
  • The Myths of Creativity: The Truth about How Innovative Companies and People Generate Great Ideas
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • Word Hero: A Fiendishly Clever Guide to Crafting the Lines that Get Laughs, Go Viral, and Live Forever
  • Wisdom Meets Passion: When Generations Collide and Collaborate
Barbara Corcoran’s credentials include straight D’s in high school and college and twenty jobs by the time she turned twenty-three. It was her next job that would make her one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the country when she took a $1000 loan to start The Corcoran Group.

As one of the “Sharks” on ABC’s hit TV show, SHARK TANK, Barbara has ponied up her own money and invested in twenty-t
More about Barbara Corcoran...
If You Don't Have Big Breasts, Put Ribbons on Your Pigtails: And Other Lessons I Learned from My Mom Nextville: Amazing Places to Live the Rest of Your Life Barbara Corcoran's How to Buy a Home in Any Market CD How to Buy a House The Sell: The Secrets of Selling Anything to Anyone

“Taking chances almost always makes for happy endings.” 4 likes