Start by marking “The Trees in My Forest” as Want to Read:
The Trees in My Forest

The Trees in My Forest

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Ina book destined to become a classic, biologist and acclaimed nature writer Bernd Heinrich takes readers on an eye-opening journey through the hidden life of a forest.
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Trees in My Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trees in My Forest

Thom Jones
Compared to The Mind of the Raven, this Heinrich book has a much greater focus on ecosystem than individual species biology. It is excellent. It approaches the book which is my favorite in this category, Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac. The book is a beautifully written collection of essays and observations on Heinrich's forest, property he purchased more than three decades ago, in the north Maine woods. Heinrich makes well the argument for conserving natural forests and critiques the plant ...more
Amy
This was an easy, entertaining and informative read. Heinrich immerses you in his 300-acre forest in Maine where he has lived for over 20 years at the time of writing. He invites you to walk with him among the stately giants in his forest and simply observe, taking in the simple yet profound wonders of the natural landscape. He knows his trees as intimately as good friends. His immense knowledge of forestry along with his poetic and philosophical writing style help to convey his sense of awe at ...more
Kellyann
Re: the blurb: there's no "virgin forest" in this book, as Heinrich makes very clear. Also, the blurb-writer needs to look up "elegy," because there is really nothing elegiac here either.

What there is is fascinating insight into forest ecology (of a once burnt or clear-cut, regrown forest, as most New England forests are) in a rather haphazardly organized manner (just makes it more fun to read!). There are discussions of ancient equisetum forests 100 feet tall, the history of the use of white pi
Sridhar
Heinrich details the lives of plants and their animal companions in his 300 acre forest in Maine, with rich, but not too intricate or cumbersome detailing. Club mosses (lycopodium) and fungi, conifers and oaks, ants and wasps, woodpeckers and apple trees all have their part to play in the drama of life in this forest. The book is written in an easy, flowing style and accompanied by lovely line drawings and attractive colour plates of some sketches.
Heinrich is also critical of human efforts to '
Dustin
I had the great privilege of reading this book under the tall canopy of trees in the northwest United States. The log cabin we were staying in didn't hurt either. I'm certainly not a tree expert, or even a tree aficionado. I just simply wanted a book that mirrored the environment I was in.

This book did just that, adding depth and complexity to the forest around me.
Staff Favorites
From the DNA contained in an apple seed to the great towering branches far beyond a young boy's reach, Heinrich explores a natural world in scientific and personal terms.

A scientist whose words speak with the power and grace of a poet, Heinrich uses this gift and his knowledge of his 300 acres of Main forest to expose the forest's rhythms. In doing so, he illustrates the vital but tenuous link amoung men, trees, birds, insects and all the creatures of the forest.

This author is famous for his i
Doug Gordon
This book is a great treatise on northeastern trees. It is memorable in its discussion of the biology and interconnectedness of trees and their growth and development through the seasons.
Michael Blackmore
A nice blend of information and thoughtful musings about nature and people in context of the forest the author knew and worked with for years.
Maryanne
The Trees in My Forest 11242007 Bernd Heinrich
Susan Beecher
Wonderful book about the trees and other plants and animals living in the author's Maine woods. He is a fabulous writer.
Joseph
I haven't read anything by this guy I haven't yet liked. I think Bernd Heinrich may be my hero! He has done everything that I have dreamed of doing at various points in my life but lacked the courage, motivation or talent to achieve. Biologist , naturalist, artist, world class runner, outdoorsman, pragmatist, dreamer, and writer. Yikes.

This book, as are his others, is like reading a cross between Thoreau and Darwin. A great summary of evolutionary ecology with touches or personal warmth. An exce
Rob
Your Sand County Almanac of Maine.
Teri-k
Though there was some interesting information in this book a great deal of it was either too technical or just not interesting enough to keep my attention. I was disappointed not to find it as good as his book "Winter World", which I loved.
D
A very pleasant discussion of tree biology. This book is not very technical and he does an excellent job of explaining interesting pieces of tree and forest biology to the non-scientist. I would have found it more engaging if I wasn't already familiar with many of the topics. I still enjoyed the book though and would recommend it to those looking for a well written nature book or with an interest in plants.
Marianna Monaco
delightful illustrations, thoughtful essays
In 1977 Bernd bought by chance a plot of 300 acres of overgrown farm and recently cut-over woodland in Maine. The book contains wonderful sketches and thoughtful essays (chapters) and little experiments on a broad range of tree/forest topics: getting by on less, evolution of small vs. big trees, trees as individuals, time to a tree, ants and trees, etc.
Joan
Although a but dry at times, the precocious young b Heinrich is an easy hero to appreciate and fall a little in love with. Perhaps unintentionally, the child heinrich seems in need of affection, attention and some warm cookies. Instead, we find him brooding in the forest alone but for the bounty of nature, a passion which becomes his life's work and passion.
Wendy
A detailed and loving account of 300 acres in Maine which the author bought in 1977 soon after it had been logged, then gradually restored to health. He concludes: "There is a famous Jewish proverb that if you save one life, you save mankind. Similarly, by saving one species of animal or one piece of forest, we save the world."
Rachael
amazing!, I should have read this a long time ago. I've never read a more interesting description of apical dominance! Covers an amazing variety of topics (even mentions fungal endophytes!!) in little thought provoking essay/stories/chapters. also includes delightful sketches.
Drew
Part memoir, part science book. Even spiritual. I loved it. I presume the author sketched the amazing pictures of the trees and animals in his forest as well. I will never look at a tree or forest (or tree plantation) the same again.
Gavin.boyles
Closest I've ever come to really _loving_ a book that's really about trees. I mean, sure, it's one of only two books I've ever read that's just about trees, but still, it was better than the other. Mostly I'm just a big Heinrich fan.
Jamie
This was an interesting and well written book. I think the most informative bit was Appendix A, which warns of the beginnings of tree farming as a monoculture crop and the dangers of destroying complete ecosystems with it.
Lillian
(see 'Why We Run: a Natural History)
Interesting, but rambling/tangential style more intrusive to my enjoyment since the topic isn't as inherently interesting to me.
Tara
It was an interesting mix of light science/research and narrative about trees and forests. I learned a little and actually would like to visit Maine some time.
Janet
I read this in one sitting when I was at home during a storm. I love trees and have worked with dendrologists but still learned stuff from this book.
Gary Beckmann
A very good look at what makes up the woods in Maine. It was gift from Flora for me to read while at the family camp up in (you guessed it) the Maine woods.
Patricia
Well crafted little essays that explore seeds, acorns, fungi, tree shapes and so many other ways of knowing trees. Worth reading over and over.
Cassie
Really informative and engrossing. I felt like I was reading a textbook and sponging up just as much information.
Autumn
A beautiful book, covering topics such as acorns, apples, mushrooms, and ants. Lovely writing and illustrations.
Bo
Very interesting. I'd like to own a forest!
Laura Gray-Rosendale
Anything this man writes-- if you like naturalist/botanical stuff-- is just great!
  • The Tree: A Natural History of What Trees Are, How They Live & Why They Matter
  • Reading the Forested Landscape: A Natural History of New England
  • Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses
  • Seeing Trees: Discover the Extraordinary Secrets of Everyday Trees
  • Weeds: How Vagabond Plants Gatecrashed Civilisation and Changed the Way We Think About Nature
  • The Emerald Planet: How Plants Changed Earth's History
  • American Canopy: Trees, Forests, and the Making of a Nation
  • The Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior
  • The Bedside Book of Birds: An Avian Miscellany
  • The Private Life of Plants: A Natural History of Plant Behaviour
  • The Ghost with Trembling Wings: Science, Wishful Thinking, and the Search for Lost Species
  • Four Wings and a Prayer: Caught in the Mystery of the Monarch Butterfly
  • Wildwood: A Journey through Trees
  • Feathers: The Evolution of a Natural Miracle
  • John James Audubon
  • An Obsession With Butterflies: Our Long Love Affair With A Singular Insect
  • Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds
  • Why Birds Sing: A Journey Into the Mystery of Birdsong
Bernd Heinrich was born in Germany (April 19, 1940) and moved to Wilton, Maine as a child. He studied at the University of Maine and UCLA and is Professor Emeriti of Biology at the University of Vermont.

He is the author of many books including Winter World, Ravens in Winter, Mind of the Raven and Why We Run. Many of his books focus on the natural world just outside the cabin door.

Heinrich has wo
More about Bernd Heinrich...
Winter World Mind of the Raven: Investigations and Adventures with Wolf-Birds Why We Run: A Natural History A Year In The Maine Woods Ravens in Winter

“The very idea of "managing" a forest in the first place is oxymoronic, because a forest is an ecosystem that is by definition self-managing.” 10 likes
“Spraying to kill trees and and raspberry bushes after a clear-cut merely looks unaesthetic for a short time, but tree plantations are deliberate ecodeath. Yet, tree planting is often pictorially advertised on television and in national magazines by focusing on cupped caring hands around a seedling. But forests do not need this godlike interference... Planting tree plantations is permanent deforestation... The extensive planting of just one exotic species removes thousands of native species.” 6 likes