Start by marking “Danny (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Danny (Volume 1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Danny (DANNY Quadrilogy #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The Jackson Moores have been tilling the land of Hope House Farm on the West Coast of Cumbria for many generations, but they have been harbouring a dangerous history of dark and sinister secrets for far longer: cancerous secrets, that have slowly eaten away at their family, their sanity and their very existence.

Nemesis comes in the shape of P.C. James Henderson, when he f
Published (first published January 1st 1998)

Jodie
Sep 20, 2010 Jodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite book of all time, when it comes to recommending DANNY I can't possibly word how amazing it is.

The book is the first instalment of many to come in the series and is such an enjoyable read that it should be compulsory. The book surrounds a farming family, where sex, murder, incest and violence are frequent occurrences.

Ian the middle brother, the runt of a family surrounded by lust, fear and lies, the one everyone ignores but quite possibly the very person they shouldn't take
mlady_rebecca
May 07, 2010 mlady_rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I'll note in advance that my "could not finish" shelf indicates that I didn't read the entire book. In fact, my impression all comes from an excerpt from the beginning of the book.

This "first page" excerpt had three different major style problems which made me stumble over the text. I think that that many "trip ups" so close to the beginning of the book is a sign poor writing or poor editing.

One was an issue with the main character's age. The second was an issue with how the time of day was repr
Julz
Ok, made it just under half way before giving it up. The writing isn't bad, but there's just too much I'm not having fun with and don't choose to spend my time with this one right now. Maybe I'll come back and finish some other time. If I do, it won't be to find out the end since there's tons more books to wade through with irritating numerical nomenclature (try "1", then "2", then "3", etc.) And while were on the subject of dislikes, the book covers (especially for number 2...or be that 2.1 ~ey ...more
Jenn
Nov 13, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in August and I am not sure how to review it. It was overwhelming; this book is so far out of the box from what I normally read. I knew it would be a shock-value kind of book, from the few reviews out there I knew I would love it or hate. The fact I couldn’t find but one copy in the US peaked my interest and I ordered from Posionpixie. The story slams you from the start and my jaw was on the ground for many pages. I was not quite sure what I had gotten myself into but I knew I c ...more
Maureen
Sep 15, 2010 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an IQ
I love books where the author is unafraid to delve deep into her characters' lives and motivations, and Danny has to be one of the bravest books ever written. It's simultaneously the darkest tragedy and the blackest comedy I've ever read, and it plays like it's been shot in grainy black and white.

Completely unsuitable if you are into YA or any of the light and frothy genres, but if you are prepared to delve deep into the darkest recesses of the human soul and watch the characters at their most
Tara Spears
Oct 12, 2015 Tara Spears rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled through this, made it to the end, and this first book will be all I ever read from this author. Nothing within surprised me, because, well, I've read, and written much darker stuff. My one star remains for the following reasons;

The blurb, and everything written about this book is a forgery of fact. It makes it sound like such an intriguing tale, when in all actuality the blurb is more interesting than the actual story itself. For instance; Inspector Henderson does NOT show up at Hope
Don
Nov 21, 2013 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone up for a wild ride who isn't too much of a prude.
Is anyone else submerged in the Danny series besides me? I was hooked from the first volume and can't get enough. It's 1,000 pages but once I started it, I didn't come up for air until I finished it a week later. I read volume 1 voraciously, even getting up at night to read for an hour or so when I couldn't sleep. Mind you, this isn't reading material for everyone. If sadomasochism, incest, violence, murder and lots of explicit sex aren't up your alley, I'd suggest you stay away. On the other ha ...more
Deanna
Sep 14, 2010 Deanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This was a frustrating book. I liked it, I was annoyed by it but ultimately I want to know more. So I will continue the series.

The characters: the majority are not likeable (not anti-heroes either). I did like James "Max" Conley, quite a bit. He joins the story about halfway through. The brothers/cousin are quite violent, but it is within reason due to their background. They lie constantly. So much so that even when truth is revealed, I'm not sure if I believe it. That was intriguing while being
Poison Pixie  Publishing
Sep 16, 2010 Poison Pixie Publishing added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those in touch with their dark sides
Shelves: modern-classics
Publisher's Review

When Detective Inspector James Henderson travels out to the lonely Hope House Farm to investigate a possible missing person, he stumbles upon a maggot’s nest of intrigue and deceit.

Where are John and Margaret Jackson Moore and why are their three sons running their farm? What exactly is going on behind the bedroom doors of the old farmhouse after dark? And can he be imagining things, or is the brothers’ love for each other a lot more than brotherly?

In a series of tense and shoc
Faith
Dec 07, 2010 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
shocking, dark, twisted, and absorbing! this one will tickle your brain and leave you wanting more.
Lisa Mitchell
Mar 24, 2013 Lisa Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sexually explicit is an understatement for this book. This is a different kind of love story. A novel filled full of dirty secrets, violence, and taboo. I would not recommend this book to the frail of heart or those deep in religious conviction. You will find this book a horrible waste of your money, time, and offensive. From page one deviant and sinful behavior grips a hold of the reader and leaves you blinking and staring at the pages in disbelief. I kept questioning myself: “Did I just read, ...more
Tami
Nov 03, 2012 Tami marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Barely into this one. Something like 10% and I honestly don't know if I can finish it. Sooooo disturbing.

Around 25% in, I had to shelve this one for a while. Not ONE character with ANY redeeming qualities in this book so far. It's LONG and so many twists and turns and who's doing who, it's giving me a headache! Ughhh!
Aspho
May 24, 2012 Aspho rated it did not like it
There comes a time in everyone's life when one has to decide whether to stubbornly go on or to cut their losses. I have just decided for the latter.

I had downloaded a sample of 'Danny' a while ago when it had somehow found its way on my Goodreads feed.

The sample is extremely deceptive. It's very long - several chapters are included and pretty good; dark, yes, disturbing, yes, but certainly intriguing enough to keep turning the pages. There's even a murder.

Things start to get really dull once yo
Diane
Jun 11, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Al
Dec 29, 2014 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very difficult to review, because I have no idea. I kept wondering if I just missed something major. In the end, I just lost interest. Maybe I will pick it up again one day and have another go.
J
Jan 23, 2015 J rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I admit it wasn't the content that I struggled with; it was the plotting, the pacing, the organization of the storyline. The book simply didn't work for me (but more power to those who enjoy it!).
Alexual
May 19, 2013 Alexual rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first written review. I usually just review with stars. I made it through 15% of the book and this is a book I just can't stomach anymore. That's saying a lot as I always finish a book. On a positive note, the author knows how to write the predatory sexual and abusive behavior of men well and her descriptions of rage, pending violence, violence, incest, etc are well done. It's just that every character is a sexual predator and, after now encountering 7 characters of this nature in the book, I ...more
Sasha Teeling
Dec 11, 2015 Sasha Teeling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danny 1.0, ironically titled Hope House, is the first part of the Danny Quadrilogy, one of the most original, daring and exquisitely plotted stories I've ever read. The author takes the time and space to develop her characters to the point that they feel so real you forget they are fictional. The writing is elegant in a sparse, smooth way. Danny is an addictive and intensely emotional read. But what I loved most was that it is utterly unpredictable throughout.

As others may have already pointed o
Charmaine Stephens
Now this was truly very twisted, taboo, dark, naughty & fun. And I can't wait to see what happens next! Review coming soon ...more
Poison Pixie  Publishing
Publisher's Review

Nemesis comes in the shape of P.C. James Henderson, when he first spies Danny - youngest son of the family - on his way to commit a crime - or at least to conceal one.
LOL_BOOKS
Aug 18, 2015 LOL_BOOKS rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
&danny;
Mandy
Jan 06, 2016 Mandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-misc-fic
I expected much better things from this book. It lacks character and story development. I couldn't find reason for anything that happened. It seemed the story left you with no explanation (maybe in the rest of the books). It seemed to me, everything that happened was too convenient. I cannot recommend this book.
Natasha
Dec 30, 2011 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally Loved! Review to come. Took me forever to read because I had to read so many things in between. LOVED IT! 18 and over read! :)
Mike
Great story, stretches the boundary a bit.
Annamin
Annamin marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Kikirocks
Kikirocks marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Queenb
Queenb marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Free_dreamer
Free_dreamer marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
  • Chronic Carnalli Complex (Carnalli Brothers, #2)
  • The Ultimate Submission
  • The Substitute (Guntram de Lisle #1)
  • Schadenfreude
  • The Brothers Bishop
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • Kraken
  • Bonds of Hate (Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse #1)
  • Daddy's Little Boy
  • Signal to Noise (Psionic Frequency, #1)
  • Stealing Ganymede
  • Tentacles for the Brides Bouquet
  • Gamble Everything (Gamble Everything #1-7)
  • The Brig
  • Junction X
  • As Spring Rain
  • Father Figure
  • Painting the Desert (Center of Earth and Sky, #2)
Chancery Stone likes wading about in darkness. She always has.

Equally well, she loves the magical powers of redemption, particularly self-redemption. She has a particular fondness for heroes (of either sex) who don’t let anyone fuck with them. This does not involve kick-boxing, vampirism, government agencies or a sociopathic knowledge of firearms. Instead this involves going their own way, in the
More about Chancery Stone...

DANNY Quadrilogy (5 books)
  • DANNY 2 - The Revenant: I'll Be Your Dog Edition (DANNY Quadrilogy, #2)
  • Danny 2.2 - Eilean Mhor (DANNY Quadrilogy, #2.2)
  • DANNY 2.3 - Road Movie (DANNY Quadrilogy, #2.3)
  • The DANNY Sampler