Start by marking “Once Upon a Time” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Time

Once Upon a Time

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Ten of the top writers of fantasy present their views of the ways and byways of fairyland:
ISAAC ASIMOV -- A most unusual knight meets an even more unusual dragon.
TERRY BROOKS -- A boy and an elf discover courage conquers more than monsters.
C.J. CHERRYH -- Three wishes -- and the strangest love story ever told.
LESTER DEL REY -- The little princess didn't really believe in a
Published October 23rd 1991 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Time

Cheryl
Nov 20, 2013 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cheryl by: Friends of the Library
Picked it up on a whim and was delighted to find an interesting and varied collection that I thoroughly enjoyed. Hard pressed to choose a favorite, Prince Delightful made me laugh out loud and startle the dogs; Imaginary friends is one I would have loved to read to my children when they were little; Gwydion and the Dragon had a very satisfying ending; Thistledown was wonderfully heartwarming and the rest were equally great. Definitely a great read for anyone who enjoys fantasy and fairy tales.
Katie
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I placed a hold on this book to get it after someone else was reading it, but as soon as I read the discription in the preface saying this was a collection for older audiances who enjoy Fairy Tales, I couldn't wait for my chance to read it! Another bonus is one of the stories is by my favorite fantasy author Anne McCaffery! :0)

Updated 4/10/09:
Well, now that I have finished this priceless collection, I have to say Anne MacCaffery's was not my favorite. I l
Sandra Strange
This collection of fairy tales embraces all of the usual conventions, including fairy godmothers, unicorns, changelings, dragons and doughty princes and princesses galore. They're by the best of the fantasy authors of the 90's, including McCaffrey, Asimov, Brooks, etc. They're slightly updated (no shrinking princesses who need saving), and lots of fun to read.

Shadallark
This was the second time I read this book. This time I read it to my youngest at bedtime (took us about three months of inconsistent bedtime reading).

I loved most of these stories even the second time through and my youngest enjoyed them all. Two or three of the stories in this collection really resonated with me and I could come back and read them again and again.

I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for some modern fairy tales; not just for children.
Darya
This book is edited by Lester Del Rey and Risa Kessler. It is a collection of Modern Fairy tales from authors such as Isaac Asimov, Terry Brooks, C.J. Cherryh, Lester del Rey, Susan Dexter, Wayland Drew, Barbara Hambly, Katherine Kurtz, AnneMcCaffrey, and Lawrence Watt-Evans. Illustrated by Michael Pangrazio.

Delightfully modern and witty fairy tales.
James Hecker
This is a fantastic book of wonderful stories. I would read these stories to my kids when they were in their young teens. Now in their mid to late twenties they still remember fondly reading this together on vacation and the image on the cover that takes you into the worlds inside.

Sarah Hofhine
If you are a sci/fi fan this is for you, and if not it's still for you! 10 of today's top sci-fi authors wrote short stories, modern fairy tales, and they're just so cute and clever and entertaining. I mean, who doesn't love Isaac Asimov and Anne McCaffrey?
Julie
Story collections can be a mixed bag, but this is a nice mix of unique, cute, clever "fairy tale" style stories by authors that are well known and appreciated for a reason. The illustrations are awesome, too,
Erica
I confess I have this book only because I love looking at thie pictures (one fore every story). The short stories were ok. Nothing special. But it's worth finding just to look at the pictures.
Darya
This book is refreshing. It is full of modern day fairy tales that are witty and new. It also has graphics that are jaw-dropping. I loved it so much, it was the Christmas gift I gave to everyone.
Chance
Loved most of the stories in this book. Asimov's fairy tale was by far the best in the book, and McCaffrey's was to me the dullest, but they were all quick good reads.
Bryan Mcquirk
Great stories and wonderful illustrations.
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Biltung
Biltung marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Monica Davis
Monica Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Samantha Silver
Samantha Silver marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Rina
Rina marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
  • Year's Best Fantasy
  • Giant Bones
  • Wings of Fire
19739
Lester del Rey (June 2, 1915 – May 10, 1993) was an American science fiction author and editor. Del Rey is especially famous for his juvenile novels such as those which are part of the Winston Science Fiction series, and for Del Rey Books, the fantasy and science fiction branch of Ballantine Books edited by Lester del Rey and his fourth wife Judy-Lynn del Rey.

aka Philip St. John
aka Eric van Lihn
ak
More about Lester del Rey...
The Runaway Robot Tunnel Through Time Nerves Police Your Planet Badge of Infamy