Start by marking “Know Why You Believe” as Want to Read:
Know Why You Believe

Know Why You Believe (Christian Basics Bible Studies)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,624 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Know Why You Believe is the classic answerbook on the Christian faith.Have you ever asked:
-- Do science and Scripture conflict?
-- Are miracles possible?
-- Is Christian experience real?
-- Why does God allow suffering and evil?

These questions need solid answers. That's what a million people have already found in this clear and reasonable response to the tough challenges to
Published December 3rd 2005 by InterVarsity Press (first published November 30th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Know Why You Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Know Why You Believe

Christopher Goins
Dec 31, 2015 Christopher Goins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because it was on a "most influential books on evangelicals" list. I can see why it rightly was on that list. First, I'll briefly go over some positives; and then, some negatives.

"Are Miracles Possible?" was filled with tons of information that was new to me -- and the book is over 40 years old. This attests to either the author's creativity or to this reader's ignorance: I'd like to think it is the former.

The political scientists and analysts at the libertarian think-tank The C
Michael Ehrhardt
Dec 09, 2009 Michael Ehrhardt rated it liked it
Know why you Believe is written by Paul E. Little explaining the truth about what you believe in the Christian faith. Today's current copy has been enhanced and revised by Paul's wife since his unexpected death in 1975. Paul answers many common questions and gives reasoning behind your faith. The Bible is a very hard book to understand at times and can raise a lot of questions for a new believer. One of my favorite questions this book answers is why does God allow suffering and evil? Paul says t ...more
Mallory
Jul 11, 2012 Mallory rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
This book had been sitting on my shelf unread for too many years. I wish I’d opened it sooner. Paul Little takes 12 simple, common questions that both believers and nonbelievers ask about Christianity and, chapter by chapter, expounds on and answers those questions in an easy to understand manner. Each chapter is filled with historical and scientific details, plus memorable anecdotes and conversations from Little’s own life and work. Required reading for Christians and an excellent book for seek ...more
Dawn Roberts
Jul 07, 2012 Dawn Roberts rated it it was amazing
Continuing to preview books for dd for the David Quine "Starting Points" worldview course we plan to start this fall. This book looks at the twelve most-asked questions in a university setting that Paul Little encountered during his many years of ministry with Intervarsity Fellowship. When doubters or skeptics question, these themes arise with some consistency. They are questions all believers wrestle with as well, and every person answers in one way or another, in the course of their life:

1. I
E
Apr 03, 2014 E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If your faith grew faster than your reading level, chances are you might have never read books like this and others in its genre. It hits the sort of stuff covered in a class like Contemporary Christian Belief at a school like Taylor University.

Little faces questions like:
-is Christianity rational?
-is there a God?
-is Christ God?
-did Christ rise from the dead?
-is the Bible God's word?
-are the Bible documents reliable?
-does archaeology verify Scripture?
-are miracles possible?
-do science and Script
Chris Armer
Mar 07, 2014 Chris Armer rated it really liked it
The book would be good for new Christians or those wanting a basic introduction to Christian apologetics. Many of the arguments would not withstand modern skeptics, but it is a good primer for thinking through the issues.
Amanda Birdwell
Jun 10, 2014 Amanda Birdwell rated it it was ok
I finished it. But just barely.

I don't know if this book is bad or if I'm just unconvinced by apologetics generally...
Amber
Sep 09, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic read for Christians and non-Christians alike. It is an easy to understand form of questions and answers to some of life's biggest questions especially as they relate to faith, world religions, and belief in God. Christians should read this book to grasp better why they believe what they believe so they can share it more effectively with others. Those who are not Christians should read just so they can know what Christianity is about in a non-threatening, easy to grasp fo ...more
Calinda
This is an excellent book for either the Christian who is researching their own faith or for the non-Christian who is looking into the "why" of the Christian faith. It presents the logical, historical, philosophical, and archaeological supports for Christianity in concise manner and with clearly delineated topics. It is a small book and a quick read, and it includes a list of more in-depth sources as an appendix, for anyone who wishes to delve further into any of the topics.
Lindsay Ray
Sep 22, 2015 Lindsay Ray rated it really liked it
This book is great for believers and unbelievers alike. For believers, it will help you bring clarity and answers to some of the questions you may struggle with in your own faith or help you answer the questions asked of you by others. For unbelievers, this a great read to understanding Christianity and finding answers to your biggest objections to faith.
Ebookwormy
This book was recommended by our church for small group studies and we were excited to get into it. However, overall, we found it disappointing. The topics selected are strong, but it seemed to lead to the same conclusions without acknowledging the discomfort some of our answers produce(evil exists because sin entered the world through Adam, accept it).

The discussion questions were okay, not great. We just went with what people wanted to talk about and didn't try to cover all of them, which wou
Naomi
A great starting place for studying apologetics. Paul Little spent years on college campuses answering tough questions from students about the Christian faith and has filtered it down to twelve commonly asked questions, devoting one chapter to each in this book. Whether you're looking to arm yourself with knowledge, strengthen an existing faith or simply engage in some thought provoking theology, this is a great down-to-earth look at the Christian faith. And as Little says in his own words, yes, ...more
Mary Milliken
Apr 13, 2016 Mary Milliken rated it it was amazing
Great book especially if your search for why your believe in God or, why you should believe in God.
David
Oct 27, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good beginner book on apologetics. For someone who wants a deeper book I recommend: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist.
Krista Wood
Aug 20, 2014 Krista Wood rated it it was ok
I listened to an audiobook of this. That is probably not the best format for this type of book and because of the way it is arranged.
ANNA DEMETRA
Feb 04, 2016 ANNA DEMETRA rated it liked it
Another apologetics book soaked in. Love it.
Clara Roberts
Dec 31, 2009 Clara Roberts rated it it was amazing
This is a book of apologetics that I read thirty years ago. Here Little answers such question as 'Is Christianity rational?' 'Is there a God?' 'Is Christ God?' Did Christ rise from the dead?' Is the Bible God's word?' Are the Bible Documents reliable?', etc. The best chapter is the last Is the Christian Experience Valid? There he confronts his reader with the necessity to choose Christ.
Isaiah the Ox
May 08, 2015 Isaiah the Ox rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isaiah the Ox by: Sonlight
Shelves: christian
Interesting. I appreciated many of Little's chapters in this book, but I don't like his writing. His style was not that bad, the book was just, very dry. The book was better then Know What You Believe, but still wasn't the best Christian doctrine book I've read.
Melinda
Apr 11, 2012 Melinda added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a really great book. Especially for the new Christian. In my opinion, it helps to prove that Christians do not necessarily believe what the Bible says just because it says so. It points out specific examples where history and science coincide with Biblical events and offers it as proof as to the accuracy and believability of the Bible.
Cameron
Sep 24, 2013 Cameron rated it did not like it
The author ensures the reader that they don't have to kiss your intellectual integrity good-bye to be a Christian. While this book is definitely not the worst book on apologetics that I've read, I still feel that using most of the shoddy arguments found in this book as a base will, at the most, make a shaky Christian worldview.
Katie Moore
Feb 15, 2016 Katie Moore rated it liked it
Good as an overview or introduction, but leaves some topics unanswered and the reader dissatisfied at times. Not all examples are relevant or answer the questions proposed. However, most of the time clear, and makes complex issues easily accessible for students.
John
Jun 19, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
nice short book for entry-level apologetics. p. little covers anywhere from historicity/reliability of the gospels to issues of science and bible to philosophical arguments. it's a short book, so you won't find all the answers. but, it's a good way to start.
Onysha
Jun 19, 2014 Onysha rated it really liked it
More engaging than Know What You Believe. I thought the title of this book wasn't very accurate, though. It's not very much about "why" Christians believe, but more of what Christians believe. Not what I was expecting. I enjoyed reading it, anyway.
Jim Johnson
Jul 18, 2012 Jim Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author really tried to make a reasoned case for Christianity but just failed miserably. It didn't help that Little veered off on too many irrelevant tangents. This was a difficult read; not for its content but because it was so flawed.
Adam
Jan 09, 2014 Adam rated it liked it
Apologetics.
Linda
Oct 04, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
It took a while for me to finish this book. I read the first half quickly, but the second half took a turn in a direction that I find hard to reconcile with my beliefs and education. Only time will tell how much is true.
Becki Cronin
Another fairly quick read. My version is a bit out-dated. There are more current versions. A handy tool to help you (just as the title points out) know why you believe ... do you? It begs the question and makes you think deeper.
Jodi
Jun 07, 2016 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-on-kindle
I disagree with his approach and conclusions to science and faith and some other more minor points, but overall a helpful survey. Read for our home group while we're doing a year's focus on apologetics.
Kelly
Feb 24, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves:
Actually still reading and so is Joey but awesome book about Christianity. The title speaks for itself but it answers all the difficult questions about Christianity very knowledgeably and simply.
Holly Evans
Sep 25, 2015 Holly Evans rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-these
As a scientifically minded person, I like to examine the reasoning behind Christianity on more than just a faith-based belief. There is evidence and logic to it as well.
  • But Don't All Religions Lead to God?: Navigating the Multi-Faith Maze
  • How to Stay Christian in College
  • The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog
  • Reasonable Faith
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • What If Jesus Had Never Been Born? The Positive Impact of Christianity in History
  • The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ
  • Out of the Saltshaker: Evangelism as a Way of Life
  • Can Man Live Without God
  • True for You, But Not for Me: Deflating the Slogans that Leave Christians Speechless
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
Paul E. Little and his wife, Marie, worked for twenty-five years with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. Until his death in 1975, Little was also associate professor of evangelism at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois.
More about Paul E. Little...

Christian Basics Bible Studies (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Worship-- serving God with our praise
  • Lordship: Basic Discipleship (Christian Basics Bible Studies Series)
  • Christ's Body: The Community of the King (Christian Basics Bible Studies Series)
  • Decisions: Finding God's Will : 6 Studies for Individuals or Groups With Leader's Notes (Christian Basics Bible Studies Series)
  • Witnessing: How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Character: Who You Are When No One's Looking: 6 Studies for Individuals or Groups (Christian Basics Bible Studies)
  • Christ: Basic Christianity : 6 Studies for Individuals or Groups (Christian Basics Bible Studies)
  • Commitment: My Heart--Christ's Home
  • Excellence: Run with the Horses
  • Hope: Never Beyond Hope : 6 Studies for Individuals or Groups With Leader's Notes (Christian Basics Bible Studies)