Start by marking “Know Why You Believe” as Want to Read:
Know Why You Believe

Know Why You Believe

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,203 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Know Why You Believe is the classic answerbook on the Christian faith.Have you ever asked:
-- Do science and Scripture conflict?
-- Are miracles possible?
-- Is Christian experience real?
-- Why does God allow suffering and evil?

These questions need solid answers. That's what a million people have already found in this clear and reasonable response to the tough challenges to
Paperback
Published December 3rd 2005 by InterVarsity Press (first published November 30th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Know Why You Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Know Why You Believe

Michael Ehrhardt
Know why you Believe is written by Paul E. Little explaining the truth about what you believe in the Christian faith. Today's current copy has been enhanced and revised by Paul's wife since his unexpected death in 1975. Paul answers many common questions and gives reasoning behind your faith. The Bible is a very hard book to understand at times and can raise a lot of questions for a new believer. One of my favorite questions this book answers is why does God allow suffering and evil? Paul says t ...more
Dawn Roberts
Continuing to preview books for dd for the David Quine "Starting Points" worldview course we plan to start this fall. This book looks at the twelve most-asked questions in a university setting that Paul Little encountered during his many years of ministry with Intervarsity Fellowship. When doubters or skeptics question, these themes arise with some consistency. They are questions all believers wrestle with as well, and every person answers in one way or another, in the course of their life:

1. I
E
If your faith grew faster than your reading level, chances are you might have never read books like this and others in its genre. It hits the sort of stuff covered in a class like Contemporary Christian Belief at a school like Taylor University.

Little faces questions like:
-is Christianity rational?
-is there a God?
-is Christ God?
-did Christ rise from the dead?
-is the Bible God's word?
-are the Bible documents reliable?
-does archaeology verify Scripture?
-are miracles possible?
-do science and Script
Chris Armer
The book would be good for new Christians or those wanting a basic introduction to Christian apologetics. Many of the arguments would not withstand modern skeptics, but it is a good primer for thinking through the issues.
Amanda Birdwell
I finished it. But just barely.

I don't know if this book is bad or if I'm just unconvinced by apologetics generally...
Mallory
This book had been sitting on my shelf unread for too many years. I wish I’d opened it sooner. Paul Little takes 12 simple, common questions that both believers and nonbelievers ask about Christianity and, chapter by chapter, expounds on and answers those questions in an easy to understand manner. Each chapter is filled with historical and scientific details, plus memorable anecdotes and conversations from Little’s own life and work. Required reading for Christians and an excellent book for seek ...more
Calinda
This is an excellent book for either the Christian who is researching their own faith or for the non-Christian who is looking into the "why" of the Christian faith. It presents the logical, historical, philosophical, and archaeological supports for Christianity in concise manner and with clearly delineated topics. It is a small book and a quick read, and it includes a list of more in-depth sources as an appendix, for anyone who wishes to delve further into any of the topics.
Naomi
A great starting place for studying apologetics. Paul Little spent years on college campuses answering tough questions from students about the Christian faith and has filtered it down to twelve commonly asked questions, devoting one chapter to each in this book. Whether you're looking to arm yourself with knowledge, strengthen an existing faith or simply engage in some thought provoking theology, this is a great down-to-earth look at the Christian faith. And as Little says in his own words, yes, ...more
David
A very good beginner book on apologetics. For someone who wants a deeper book I recommend: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist.
Krista Wood
I listened to an audiobook of this. That is probably not the best format for this type of book and because of the way it is arranged.
Clara Roberts
This is a book of apologetics that I read thirty years ago. Here Little answers such question as 'Is Christianity rational?' 'Is there a God?' 'Is Christ God?' Did Christ rise from the dead?' Is the Bible God's word?' Are the Bible Documents reliable?', etc. The best chapter is the last Is the Christian Experience Valid? There he confronts his reader with the necessity to choose Christ.
Melinda
Apr 11, 2012 Melinda added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a really great book. Especially for the new Christian. In my opinion, it helps to prove that Christians do not necessarily believe what the Bible says just because it says so. It points out specific examples where history and science coincide with Biblical events and offers it as proof as to the accuracy and believability of the Bible.
Cameron
The author ensures the reader that they don't have to kiss your intellectual integrity good-bye to be a Christian. While this book is definitely not the worst book on apologetics that I've read, I still feel that using most of the shoddy arguments found in this book as a base will, at the most, make a shaky Christian worldview.
Andrew
Good book with a explanatory/logical based approach to faith for both new believers and long-time Christians alike. Worthwhile reading to get your mind around some areas of faith. Good starting place if you want to take a few of the explanations Little mentions and want to run with it.
John
nice short book for entry-level apologetics. p. little covers anywhere from historicity/reliability of the gospels to issues of science and bible to philosophical arguments. it's a short book, so you won't find all the answers. but, it's a good way to start.
Onysha
More engaging than Know What You Believe. I thought the title of this book wasn't very accurate, though. It's not very much about "why" Christians believe, but more of what Christians believe. Not what I was expecting. I enjoyed reading it, anyway.
Jim Johnson
The author really tried to make a reasoned case for Christianity but just failed miserably. It didn't help that Little veered off on too many irrelevant tangents. This was a difficult read; not for its content but because it was so flawed.
Adam
Apologetics.
Becki Cronin
Another fairly quick read. My version is a bit out-dated. There are more current versions. A handy tool to help you (just as the title points out) know why you believe ... do you? It begs the question and makes you think deeper.
Kelly
Feb 24, 2007 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Actually still reading and so is Joey but awesome book about Christianity. The title speaks for itself but it answers all the difficult questions about Christianity very knowledgeably and simply.
Jonathan Harmon
Very cool, easy to read, I appreciated the emphasis on rational defense of Christianity without downplaying the spiritual confidence we have by the gift of God in our faith.
Pete Bartel
Simple apologetics/evidence for intelligent faith. Little seems to be of the opinion that miracles and supernatural gifts are a thing of the past, though.
Elizabeth
Great book, makes you think about why you really believe from a more logical perspective. It also exploits why many people don't really believe in Jesus.
Lynda
The first book that offered answers to the MANY questions I had about Christianity shortly after my conversion at age 14. Still highly recommended!
Eben
This one of the first books I read once I came to Jesus.
I reccomended it to seriously like forty people... bought it for a couple of them.
Geoff
Ok

author supports textual critticism

not the strongest stance on creation..etc. written in 50's.

Linda
Helpful book to know why you believe. Great for small group, Sunday school or new believers.
Adam Ross
Evidentialist, but as far as evidentialist works go, on the plus side of good.
Krystina Grant
This was a real informative book. I enjoyed it and it strengthened my faith.
Timm
Excellent book that provides answers to the basic questions of why we believe.
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog
  • The Faith: What Christians Believe, Why They Believe It, and Why It Matters
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ
  • Escape from Reason: A Penetrating Analysis of Trends in Modern Thought
  • Defending Your Faith: An Introduction to Apologetics
  • How to Stay Christian in College
  • Out of the Saltshaker: Evangelism as a Way of Life
  • Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity
  • Eternity in Their Hearts:  Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World
  • Darwin on Trial
Paul E. Little and his wife, Marie, worked for twenty-five years with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. Until his death in 1975, Little was also associate professor of evangelism at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois.
More about Paul E. Little...
Know What You Believe: Connecting Faith and Truth How to Give Away Your Faith Know Who You Believe Know What And Why You Believe: Two Christian Classics In One Volume Certainty: Know Why You Believe