Bookclub-In-A-Box Discusses Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese

Bookclub-In-A-Box Discusses Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Cutting For Stone is very simply one of the best books ever written and read. The narrative begins in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, when twin boys, Shiva and Marion, are born to a nun (who dies) and a surgeon (who runs away). The babies, conjoined at the head, are successfully separated immediately after birth. Despite their ominous beginning, they are raised by two Indian doctor...more
Published February 3rd 2011 by Bookclub in a Box (first published December 1st 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Bookclub-In-A-Box Discusses Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese

Mj
This saga of orphaned twins is both entertaining and informative. Most of it is set in Africa during a time of political unrest. Because most of the characters are doctors, the reader learns much about the diseases prevalent in the third world. When Marion, one of the twins moves to the U. S to escape arrest, the story begins to tie up the loose ends about the twins parents--an unlikely couple--a nun and a seemingly socially dysfunctional doctor.
Sue
Dec 11, 2011 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Although this guide did a fair job of pulling together the themes and threads that run through the novel, it was not at all analytical or critical.
Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino
I thought this was a fantastic book, I could not put it down...I wish it had ended differently. I love the this author's writting style.
Carol Fink
I loved it! One of the best books I've read. I didn't want it to be finsihed.
Katherine
My favorite book in several years.
Gail
I gave it 4 stars—a unique story, some fascinating parts about Ethiopia, the government and other topics I'm sadly ignorant of. And mostly beautifully written and realized, but, I think you need to be pre-med, or at least interested in medical procedures, to stay with the detailed surgical discussions, especially the ending which, for me, fell apart and pushed the story over the edge into improbability.
Ellen
This is a fantastic read that will take you first to Ethiopia and then later to NY where you can take a surgical residency. The book had a lot of nostalgia for me as it was so reminiscent of my own time spent as a surgical resident.

The book is quite well written and carries the reader on with teases all the way through, starting with, the narrator's mother was a nun? Read on! How is this so? And what about his mysterious and driven father. Will we ever meet him again?

I read the book and then lis...more
Patricia Mccormick
Excellent read. However, it is one of the kind of books that you can only read once in a while. It is so heavy. Even though I couldn't put it down, it wore me out. Definitely is worth the time and the emotion that you must invest.
Kami Yorgason
Meh. Lots of technical/medical information. Storyline was good. Too detailed for me. I skimmed a lot. Some adult situations and language.
Louise
I loved the way Abraham Verghese made this feel like it was an actual event rather than fiction. I was so engrossed in the story and the characters, that I honestly looked at the end of the book for a validation that it was about actual facts! Yes, he totally researches his info, and is an actual Dr., but still this story amazed me. I loved the way this story lived for me. I am anxious to see if either of his other books is as good. After the disappointment of Lief Engers second novel though, I...more
Bethany
i wish I could give this more than 5 stars
Hazel
I recently finished Cutting for Stone, and it's going on my "all-time-favorites book list"! I didn't want it to end. What fascinating characters Abraham Verghese created! They were sooooo realistic that I just know they must be real, and he must have been a twin, and he must have grown up next to a "Ghosh" in real life. What a writer! Loved every minute of it.
Janet
I liked this book - it's a little haunting. It reminds me of a cross between the books COMPLICATIONS and ANGELA'S ASHES, yet it has its own voice. Yes, it does have language. Yes, it does have sexual situations. It is sometimes painfully graphic, but it was worth reading and I am glad I did.
Cassandra
This story was like a bad dream. The fulfilment of a desire/dream of a Superior Nun which cast two younger Nuns into death, one from cholera and eventually one from childbirth. The despair in this story was overwhelming but the storytelling was excellent.
Courtney
Wonderful, thought-provoking. The best book I have read in years. As a physician, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the medicine, but the story is so much more about family and love. I already want to read it again!
Jackie
One of the most compelling stories I've read this year, which was difficult to put down. The well-developed characters grew in wisdom which emerged in unexpected places.
Betty Davidge
simply one of my best reads.A neighbor recommend it,a book club read . couldn't quit till I finished.Should the author pen another book it would warrant looking into..
Kristy
loved the entire story, setting, characters from beginning to end. What a passionate and sometimes disturbing emotional venture.
Lucy
An interesting twist on brotherly competition. Special, new background and geography with a good cultural immersion.
Sharon Iberle
This book was not my favorite - I felt that there were too many story lines and a bit too graphic at times.
Annie
Couldn't get into this one so stopped partway through. Life is too short to read books you're not into!
Syera Mudzaffar
for this pioneer year(yeahh..for me who-newly-fall-in-love-of-english-novels-)
and i wanna read dis one!!
Lisa
Jul 24, 2011 Lisa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Am starting at the end of my CA vacation, hope to get hooked then pick back up in CR.
Kimberly Melnyk
One of my all time favourite books. A wonderful story of love and sorrow.
Hazel Hindle
Brilliant book, couldn't put it down, cannot recommend it enough.
Terry
Great book, I read this a few years ago
As an educator, school librarian, writer, book-talk presenter and facilitator, Marilyn loves to read and talk about books. Her enthusiasm for reading and sharing led her to unite her two favorite things: people and pages. In turn, this led to the creation of Bookclub-in-a-Box, the ultimate discussion companion for contemporary works of literary fiction. Marilyn is always looking for a great debate...more
More about Marilyn Herbert...
Bookclub-in-a-Box Discusses Someone Knows My Name / The Book of Negroes, the novel by Lawrence Hill Bookclub-in-a-Box Discusses A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini Bookclub-in-a-Box Presents: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen The Bookclub-in-a-Box Discussion Guide to the book: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Bookclub-in-a-box Discusses Life of Pi, the novel by Yann Martel (Bookclub in a Box Discusses)