Cromwell

Cromwell

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In Cromwell, award-winning biographer Antonia Fraser tells of one of England's most celebrated and controversial figures, often misunderstood and demonized as a puritanical zealot. Oliver Cromwell rose from humble beginnings to spearhead the rebellion against King Charles I, who was beheaded in 1649, and led his soldiers into the last battle against the Royalists and King...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Grove/Atlantic, Inc. (first published January 1973)

Robert
I was more than a bit disappointed by this book, I'm afraid. And it's a shame, because I'd been dying to learn more about Oliver Cromwell, and a several-hundred-page tome of lightly written history seemed like just the thing for a person like me who wants to feel like he's learned a lot without (ahem) plowing through a lot of hard-to-read academic papers.

Let's start with the positive. I really did learn a lot. Cromwell was a lot better off financially than I would have expected; it wasn't obviou...more
David
The best biography of my hero. There's a statue of him outside Westminster. We had our chance to become a republic and we blew it. The French did much better. I mention whenever I have the opportunity that the best thing to put on the empty plinth in Trafalgar Square is a guillotine.
Lawrence
I took up this biography to learn about Oliver Cromwell and what I had always thought of as the Puritan revolution. The Puritans were a group with considerable influence, after all, in the settlement and formation of America. I also wanted to see the context in which persons like John Milton and Andrew Marvell dwelt and thrived. And, last, I had a sense that the Cromwellian revolution was anomolous and earth-shaking in its time.

I did, indeed, learn a great deal --- about the personality of a man...more
CJ
Mar 02, 2012 CJ rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
At 706 pages, this book is in dire need of a good editor.
Whenever the situation went in Olivar Cromwell's favor it was due to his brillance, vision and tenacity. But if it didn't, it was the fault of incompetent Army leaders, recalitant Parliament, or those who just didn't see the Glorious Vision.
I hung in with this book only because about the time I was ready to quit, an interesting tidbit would appear.
There are more balanced biographies of Oliver Cromwell available. Read those instead.
Wendy
Aug 22, 2008 Wendy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: martyrs.
I wanted to like this book. I really did.

I don't think the problem here is so much Fraser, her writing and scholarship are, as always, impeccable.

I think the problem is that Cromwell himself was just really boring. You'd think a man who cut off a king's head would have more personality, but in this case, you would turn out to be wrong.
Anne
Turgid telling of what should have been an exciting story.
Hardy
I approached this book eagerly, having been exposed to the beauty of Antonia Fraser's writing in her later "The Wives of Henry VIII." I knew the basics of Oliver Cromwell's victories in the English civil wars and his subsequent rise to power, but hoped to gain a deeper understanding of the man and his world through Fraser's book. While it taught me a lot, the book did not meet the high expectations I had for it.
Fraser has a knack for elegant turns of phrase, but they are lost to a great degree...more
Erik Graff
Jan 23, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anglo-Americans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: biography
Until looking Fraser up on Wikipedia, I had no idea that she was so famous, not only as an amateur historian but also as a writer of mystery stories. Having previously read her earlier biography on Mary Stuart and learning that she is not only an aristocrat but Catholic, I am impressed at how sympathetic her portrayal of that arch-protestant, Oliver Cromwell, is. (Perhaps her father's Labour connections figure in this). Further, given that, while she holds a degree from Oxford, she is no academi...more
Mariel
Nov 06, 2010 Mariel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laur Laur
Recommended to Mariel by: Laur
My sister had a twisted crush on Cromwell when we were growing up. She slept with this book under her pillow and I even caught her learning to kiss with his photo. It was so messed up.
Jamie
I gave up on this about 1/3 of the way through. It's as dry as a bone - or possibly just too detailed for my degree of interest.
Candy Wood
Rereading this biography after forty years, I’m struck again by the extreme complexities of politics and religion in the 17th century. Terms like Parliament, Presbyterian, or Independent have different significance at different times, and it can be difficult to keep the factions straight. Throughout, Fraser’s sympathy for and admiration of her subject are clear: his skill as military strategist, his sincere faith, and his leadership all contribute to Cromwell’s greatness, even though flaws such...more
Jeremy Perron
Oliver Cromwell is a historical figure that I often find myself confused on how I feel about him. His story is very exciting, for the first forty years of his life he is mostly irrelevant until the circumstances of the English Civil War would send him at the forefront. A commoner who overthrew a king and took his life as well as his kingdom. On the other hand it is hard to see him as anything other than a hypocrite. How can one be a champion of liberty when that individual crushes the fledgling...more
Andrew Rostan
Given its popularity on the bookstore shelves in subsets ranging from scholarly historical documents to more salacious memoirs, the biography at first glance seems an easier task than the novel: you have a ready-made structure and you get to work with known facts instead of making things up. But writing a biography is a messy task, especially when you don't know the subject, especially when the subject is long dead, and even those who did know the subject may be hindered by agendas, excessive re...more
Douglas
A 700 page biography is not an easy read, but this was worth every page. Cromwell's period of English History is something that this American never learned - and it is crucial to understand the emergence of American Democracy and the ending of European Monarchy.

Puritan Cromwell was a member of Parliament just after the Pilgrims first landed at Plymouth. He rose to prominence as a divinely inspired Calvary commander. Although attributed with the beheading of Charles I at the conclusion of the sec...more
Erich
This was a really tough book to get through. I love history, and knew nothing about the time period of the Protectorate, and was excited to dig in.

I was immediately thrown by the author's prose, which was extremely verbose and overly academic. This is not a book for general consumption; it is clearly written for other academics. I found myself re-reading passages over and over just to keep clear what was happening.

Battle descriptions were not nearly as complex, and were the best parts of the bo...more
Steven
Cromwell has been accused of being a tyrant, a murderer, a guy with a rotten temper, and just about every other negative name I can think of. This book provide fresh (in depth) insight into the character of this man, and provides a proper historical viewpoint of the times that he lived in. Cromwell was not misguided or a monster. In a sense, he saved England from a tyrannical monarch who threatened to destroy the protestant reformation. He also provided the first, (and last) true constitution En...more
Nancy
Whew, what a slog. A mountain of facts largely lacking synthesis and analysis. It needed to be cut by a third; as it was, it was difficult to see the forest for the trees. The problems were compounded by Fraser's weird fangirlish sensibility, where Old Noll was a brilliant soldier and administrator and a kindly fellow to boot, apparently. (Well, except in regard to those pesky Irish, where his attitude tended more toward the genocidal end of the spectrum. Even Fraser couldn't put much of a gloss...more
umberto
Nov 11, 2009 umberto marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
When our host (Mr. Ray Mace) took us to visit London in July 1997, we walked by the Westminster Abbey and I asked him, "Whose statue is that?" (I thought then he had to be an eminent man in British history) and he replied, "Oliver Cromwell".

Then I paid AUD 4.00 for a second-hand biography written by Lady Antonia Fraser on December 21st, 2001 during my second visit to GSE/UQ, Brisbane in Australia. However, I was too busy to read it substantially. From now on I hope to resume reading it whenever...more
Karen
Usually I like Antonia Fraser's books but I found this one tedious. I didn't know much about this period to start with, and maybe that's part of the problem. I think, though, that it's that she doesn't take a clear point of view--was he the devil, a saint, or just a man of his times? Did he believe he was the instrument of Divine Providence or was this just a smokescreen for overwhelming personal ambition?

I did find it interesting that Teddy Roosevelt wrote a bio of him--maybe sometime I'll look...more
Joseph Sellors
There's no doubt Antonia Fraser knows her stuff when it comes to Cromwell and the Protectorate period. She explains the complex religious and political conflicts extremely well, and has plenty of source material to enhance her work. What lets the book down massively is Fraser's constant bias in Cromwell's favour and tries to exonerate him from any wrong doing, even in situations such as the slaughters at Wexford and Drogheda. It's extremely frustrating and almost ruins what is otherwise a solid...more
Caroline
Mar 28, 2013 Caroline marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I quickly realised that there was far too much detail and depth in this book for a figure that just doesn't grab my imagination to that extent. I also found that Frazer did not digest, regurgitate and polish her research enough for me - not for the limited amount of effort I was prepared to put into reading the book. I need more of an overview.
booklady
It's a monster of a book and took me over five months of steady reading to finish. Love Fraser--one of my favorite popular historians. Wanted to understand this complex and very controversial (for many reasons!) English political and religious figure. Came away with perception that he was as much of an enigma to his contemporaries as he is to history.
Jonathan Westbrook
Read some of her books before and never liked them but have not seen this one before. So let's see if there is any difference. After being bored half to death with could bes and possibilities with no proofs other than "it was said", I decided to jump ahead to when he was Lord Protector. Still nothing worth reading. Disappointed as much as always.
Ian
A well researched book about one of the greatest Englishman ever! Fairly easy to read, though a little dry in places. A full account of Oliver Cromwell's life and his rise to power as Lord Protector of England, and the politics and battles involved. A good mix of politics personal life, and English history. Well worth a read if you can get a copy.
Taylor Kniphfer
The book was very good. Though at times it was tedious, and a bit long-winded, I thought it was very informative, rich in detail, and thorough in its anaylsis of Cromwell. Though not a book for the general reader, it is good history for those willing to dig deep inside the period and the personality of Oliver Cromwell.
Alex
One of the classic biographies of Cromwell. Really enjoyed it, though wished there was more development about his son and the close of the Protectorate after Oliver's death. Fairly evenly balanced view of his virtues and many flaws.
Jaclynn
hard read. i learned a lot about the relegious beliefs of 17th century england/ireland/scotland. this explains some of the reasons behind our conceptions and misconceptions regarding protestant and catholic disparity
Allen
Mar 01, 2009 Allen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have learned that Cromwell contemplated coming to America in the 1630s, which sounds like the beginning of an alternate history hit to me...
Donald Pryde
A man ahead of his Times, part socialist, part religious, part communist before such a thing was known. Never lost a major battle.
William J. Shep
Great biography of a great man, the terror of the three kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland in the 17th century.
Oliver Cromwell: A worthy adversary 1 1 Jan 08, 2013 11:37PM
How can Antonia Fraser be an apologist for a butcher like Cromwell in Ireland? 5 5 Jan 03, 2013 05:17AM
  • The Life of Thomas More
  • A Gambling Man: Charles II and the Restoration
  • Restoration London: Everyday Life in the 1660s
  • Queen Victoria
  • Great Harry
  • England Under the Tudors
  • Henry II
  • The Tyrannicide Brief: The Story of the Man Who Sent Charles I to the Scaffold
  • George III: A Personal History
  • Henry: Virtuous Prince
  • William Marshal
  • Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love
  • Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self
  • The Queen's Conjurer: The Science and Magic of Dr. John Dee, Advisor to Queen Elizabeth I
Lady Antonia Fraser (Pinter), CBE, is a British author of history and novels, best known as Antonia Fraser for writing biographies and detective fiction, and the second wife of Harold Pinter, the 2005 Nobel Laureate in Literature.

Series:
* Jemima Shore
More about Antonia Fraser...
Marie Antoinette: The Journey The Wives of Henry VIII Mary Queen of Scots Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King The Warrior Queens

“Was Charles I too stubborn to listen to reason? Could Civil War have been averted if the king had been more willing to negotiate? His great enemy Cromwell always maintained that the king had been swayed at the last moment by his queen, the beautiful Henrietta Maria. We can believe Cromwell's claim that the queen told her husband to be firm. But the wicked, spiteful, altogether irresistable quote often attributed to her by Puritan writers of the time is almost certainly false.

"Oh my love, if you cannot remain firm in the bedchamber, at least try to remain firm with your subjects!”
2 likes