Start by marking “The Dragon's Path/Leviathan Wakes (The Dagger and the Coin #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon's Path/Leviathan Wakes  (The Dagger and the Coin #1)

The Dragon's Path/Leviathan Wakes (Expanse)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  460 ratings  ·  55 reviews
**Includes an advance reading copy of Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey**

All paths lead to war...

Marcus' hero days are behind him. He knows too well that even the smallest war still means somebody's death. When his men are impressed into a doomed army, staying out of a battle he wants no part of requires some unorthodox steps.

Cithrin is an orphan, ward of a banking house
Published April 7th 2011 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon's Path/Leviathan Wakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon's Path/Leviathan Wakes

Dara
The Dragon's Path is a story more concerned with character, politics, and economics more than battles and magic. We follow a mercenary, a bumbling soldier, and a banker throughout most of the story. I enjoyed the book despite having some issues with it.

What I really enjoyed about the book is that it's a nice change from what I've been reading lately, mainly the Malazan series. The Dragon's Path isn't grimdark. It's not doom and gloom, battles all the time, and solidering. Daniel Abraham focuses
Jan 03, 2015 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jasaru, Tralgu, Kurtadam; Tolkien or Martin fans, but not elves, orcs, or dwarves
I'm going to take a bit of a risk by comparing this to George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones, since I have yet to actually read any of those books. However, I haven't escaped the general critical acclaim and analysis of the story, or many of the plot points, being the popular phenomenon it is, so I'm going to say that Daniel Abraham's The Dragon's Path looks like "A Game of Thrones" without the constant shots of sex, violence, and grimdark despair.

That's not to say there is no sex or violence
Jeff Raymond
Having some time to kill on a plane a few weeks back, it felt like a good idea to try my hand at another epic fantasy, especially as my regular go-tos are ones I'm currently caught up on. The Dragon's Path is mostly good-to-great, and, perhaps more importantly, definitely scratches that itch that I was looking to solve.

Like any good long-term epic fantasy read, this one has its share of point of view storylines. There's the orphan girl, the noble heir, soldiers and politics, and all of these sto
Nathan
After reading the Long Price Quartet, I expected much more from the author. It may be the first novel of a series, but the story's moving extreeemely slooow. All the events could have been fit in a novel 2/3 of the size of this - then it would have been lively and engaging, but with this length it was just so boring; I only kept reading because I had nothing better to do with my late nights.
Another problem is, that I counted five main protagonists / pov characters, and two of them are downright
Terry Simpson
Hmmm. Where to start. Well let's say the rating system here on Goodreads won't reflect this one correctly. I consider it a 3 and a half. But I'll have to tag it with a three. Why not at least a 4?

Well, not that it wasn't a good book, because a 3 says it was a good book. Let's start with what I loved.

The world and most of the characters fascinated me. The plot was well-laid out and offered some nice surprises and fit together quite well throughout.

The many races, the histories behind them and the
P. Kirby
Torn. Torn like a flag in the wind, between three stars and four for The Dragon's Path. For the most part the story and characters are largely forgettable. Not even sure I'll read the next installment. And yet...even when the horde of novels on my Kindle beckoned, I kept plowing through this longish tome of political intrigue.

Because at the moment it's the best known epic fantasy, George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) is the inevitable comparison that comes to mind when rea
Matthew
I read this as part of the Leviathan Wakes ebook, which I also enjoyed. This book, like Abraham's Long Price Quartet (which I have meant to read for a very long time), gives the reader the pleasures of epic fantasy, while avoiding many of the pitfalls of the genre. Unlike the Long Price Quartet, though, the setting is a bit more conventional pseudo-medieval Europe, though it's got its interesting points. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Tamara
I got this novel and Leviathan's Wake as an e-book bundle for an obscenely low price. Smart of Orbit books because I liked both of them so much I'll be reading the other books in the series. Well-written, engaging characters and a fascinating world...buy this book.
Mel
Perhaps it's just me but I found it tedious. The writing style was choppy with far too many sentences beginning with the word "but". I am surprised by the glowing reviews.
Ben Nichols
Excellent semi-epic fantasy. Not the scope of GRRM, but the feel of The First Law trilogy without the insane grittiness that makes you lose complete faith in humanity.
Bill Tillman
Middle of the road epic fantasy. It was just not gripping enough for me to feel satisfied.
Ahimsa
This might supplant A Song of Ice and Fire as my favorite current fantasy series.
Bee
I didn't expect this. It was awesome!
Richard Buro
The short version first...

This was one of those reads that come along once in a great while where you really are not sure about where is the "good" guy and where is the "bad." I found myself cheering to the city killer of Vanai, after finding out that the populace of the doomed locale were sacrificed for the sake of uncovering a hidden, well executed plot against the larger nobility of the Antean Realm. As many others have pointed out, this particular series start was approached from multiple po
bookme4life
3.5 STARS

This book was notable for helping me break through a recent reading drought. The chapters are fairly short and there's lots of action to keep you turning the pages. There's even a great bit where, in a moment of self-awareness, one of the characters comments on the number of explosions that led up to that point. Unlike some space opera that pushes the world over the characters, Leviathan Wakes starts out giving you characters to root for, then expands your understanding of the world th
Jesslyn
EDIT 7/10/14 - Just as good the 2nd time around.

I am currently on Book 3 in this series and want it to end simply so I know the ending to the story. There are a few things that bother me about various characters (Cithrin and the drinking), but overall, this is a great installment in my Epic Fantasy library.

I had thought that there was no magic (or very little) to the story as a whole, but as of Book 2, I anticipate some very nasty things in Book 3/4.

I do anticipate that I'll be rereading the ser
David
This is a story of four characters trying to find their way in a kingdom with a passive leader. The king is unwilling to make difficult decisions so ends up having his court intrigues run the kingdom. This leads to ambitious court players, military leaders, and foreign powers playing elaborate games.
Marcus is an old war hero trying to live a quiet life as a caravan guard and come to terms with what he has done. Cithrin is a young orphan adopted by the local bank leader that is tasked to care for
David
I wasn't sure what I was expecting. The book started a bit slow, but that could be since I was very busy with my work and the characters in the story were all spread out at first. However, things quickly sped up, connections were made, plots revealed, and WOW this is cool! I read the last 200 (electronic) pages in a flash.
Here's the deal: it's epic fantasy, but the cast is not too large. Also, there are some trope-breaking things there, the most obvious being the banker. Yes, that's right- one o
L. Lawson
The first 1/2 of this book was 3 stars. The next 1/4 was barely 2 stars. The final 1/4 came back up to 3 stars. So think of this as a 2.75 (or so) review.

I liked Cithrin. A lot. Her storyline made the book good. She's smart and fun to read. (So was Marcus', whose related to her storyline.) Geder's storyline was boring and far-fetched. It felt like I was reading an outline--do this, then this, then this will happen, etc. Nothing seemed natural. And I'm sure his speculative essays will factor heav
Chris Haynes
I really, really wanted to love this book. But all I can say is that it was OK. Not bad, not great but solidly OK. I don't know if it was my mindset when I read the book or what, but there were a lot of little things that annoyed me.

There a lot of "he said", "she said". There are a lot of better ways of telling the reader who said something without actually writing "he said", "she said".

One of the things that really annoyed me was all of the descriptions and discussions of fake coffee, fake eggs
Charles
This is the final book that I will suffer through - I am now enforcing a 25% rule - if I do not like the book by the 25% mark, then it will remain unfinished - if I won't sit through a bad movie or TV show, why should I with a book ...

the World building is nice and the characters are not flat but this is my problem with this book - this came off as a fantasy Drama - no action (not really) I mean one battle during a 'war' that is never heard about again - one confrontation with bandits that ran
David(LA,CA)
I recieved a copy of this book when I purchased an ebook for a book club. At the time, I didn't know I was getting a second story. And now that I've finished, I have to say that I liked the second story more than the one I spent money on.

I think the main reason for that is because The Dragon's Path gave me a couple of characters that I actually liked. Not that I liked the whole story. The sections regarding the politics of a royal court weren't badly written, but there wasn't anyone there I real
Tyrannosaurus regina
In my head, this will forever be known as the book that made me excited about banking. Banking. Of course it's a hundred other things too, all of them well balanced and intriguing, and has one of the best uses of multiple POV characters I've seen in a long time—not just taking us from place to place and storyline to storyline, but raising questions of who is on the right side and who is on the wrong side and what everyone's agenda really is.
Chad Huckabaa
I am a pretty huge fan of well written epic fantasy, and this book falls easily into that category. Daniel Abraham has constructed a solidly built world with characters that are complex and well realized. These days, I judge all books of this type against, in my opinion, the king of all epic fantasy, "A Song of Ice and Fire", and in that comparison, the book loses a star, even as good as it is, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, while we have become well acquainted with the various protagonists, ...more
Roger
At first, it was only so-so. At some point, though, I found myself really wanting to get back to this story. I was equally interested in both Miller and Holden; their contrasting views made this fun to read.

Too much political talk and not enough focus on the alien protomolecule. The space battles were frenetically written, but still felt boring. Couple that with the vagueness of the alien presence and I don't know why this is called space opera. And, truly, I was slightly disappointed that zomb
Stacia
I hear that Daniel Abraham's other series, The Long Price Quartet, is revolutionary in it's approach to the fantasy genre. The Dragon's Path, while a really interesting and well-written read, isn't as game-changing, and it's a rather conventional fantasy novel in my opinion. I think hearing so much praise for The Long Price Quartet may have set me up for disappointment in any event.

I liked the characters. I liked how the story unfolded with seemingly disparate characters and plots ending up bein
David(LA,CA)
Four hundred eighty four pages of story (according to the ebook version I read), and all I can really say about it is that I read it.

Think of any book you've liked. If I asked you why you liked it, you could tell me "I really liked this one character" or "the setting is really interesting" or "there's this really great section where this thing happened that was awesome". Now think of a book you've hated. Again, if I asked for a reason why, you could probably come up with one.

There was nothing h
Brewergnome
Excellent world building. Some might find it starts a bit slowly as this book is more full of political machination than it is action. I figured out the last half-chapter twist pretty early, but for me that's actually really an authorial achievement (and he carefully set it up with increasing clues). Will definitely be reading more of this series.
Steven Swenson
International and palace intrigue, financial maneuvers, mercenaries, Legends, war and atrocity, and hints of ancient magic! What's not to like? A number of personable characters to sympathize with and occasionally be horrified by. Several different stories going on about responsibility and how different characters deal with it, an orphan with a treasure, a mercenary who saw his family die adopts another, an acting troupe master deals with betrayal, A King as well, sons going to war, women caught ...more
  • Of Blood and Honey (The Fey and the Fallen, #1)
  • Land of the Burning Sands (Griffin Mage, #2)
  • The Hammer
  • The Shadow at the Gate  (The Tormay Trilogy, #2)
  • Cataract (Cat Scratch, #2)
  • The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)
  • The Deathlord of Ixia (Lone Wolf, #17)
  • Mainline
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • Steles of the Sky (Eternal Sky, #3)
  • Lord of the Libraries (The Rover, #3)
  • Algorithms in C++, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting, Searching
  • Gnosis: The Nature and History of Gnosticism
  • The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
  • Into the Forbidden Zone: A Trip through Hell and High Water in Post-earthquake Japan
  • Crashcourse
Daniel Abraham is an American science fiction / fantasy author who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He is a graduate of Clarion West, and sometimes collaborates with George R. R. Martin, another New Mexico resident.

His short stories have appeared in numerous publications and anthologies. His novelette Flat Diane was nominated for the Nebula Award. His novelette The Cambist and Lord Iron: a Fairyt
More about Daniel Abraham...

Expanse (5 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5)
A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1 A Game of Thrones: Comic Book, Issue 1 The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin, #1) A Game of Thrones: Comic Book, Issue 2 A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1)