Start by marking “Retirement Can Be Murder (A Jake Russo Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Retirement Can Be Murder (A Jake Russo Mystery, #1)

Retirement Can Be Murder (Jake Russo Mysteries #1)

When Jake Russo is transferred from a New York City beat to a Florida retirement community, his reporting life slows down. Instead of covering life in the big city, he's stuck writing puff pieces about bridge games and shuffleboard. His biggest challenge? Sticking to his diet.

That all changes when an older resident mysteriously dies on the beach. Jake has to figure out why
Published January 31st 2011 by Harrison-Mills Media

To ask other readers questions about Retirement Can Be Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retirement Can Be Murder

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Aug 31, 2016 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
Jake Russo, a reporter who has been sent down to Sarasota, Florida to report on palm trees and any senior citizen interests as viewed by his Boss in NY, falls upon a true murder mystery.

This was a good solid mystery with humor. At times some of the characters got boring to me, such as Gary, the photographer...then suddenly he does something integral to the storyline. So, I give this book a four star rating.
Mike
Jul 04, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Ok, it's not Shakespare, but was an interesting plot it did plod along in some places, and it killed the boring train journey I had to take.
Elaine
He thought the only news the old woman who was permanently bent into a 90 degree angle over her walker would have for him was something lame – perhaps something about aliens or the like. What Jake hadn’t realized is that she was on to something that just might cost her, her life. Maybe his.

Jake’s boss wants him to cover trivial human interest stories however, Jake knows that what he’s stumbled upon is much more in the human interest.

This clean cozy revolves around wetlands and a building contra
Shirley
Apr 23, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it
This was a nice murder mystery. It started unlike other books i had read.. slow drama. It gradually began to seem more like romantic novel rather than a murder mystery. The book picked up the pace slowly but steadily and maintained it to the end. You would like the way the protagonist Jake Russo tries against all odds to bring justice to a stranger. A little romance and comedy adds colour to the book. No one is what they seem , who is to be trusted is a tough call for the unlikely hero. A good r ...more
Feb 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
What a clever title! I enjoyed this book a lot. I'd have to say that Gary is my favorite character because he is such a character without meaning to be. Jake is an endearing man who really made me like him because he is so good! What a gentleman & a sweetheart! The fact that he struggles with self-confidence & weight, yet sets his sights on overcoming these two things makes him the perfect "Every Man." I found myself rooting for him in every chapter. Okay, so I really like him, too. He a ...more
Brooks Jones
Jan 26, 2012 Brooks Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
This was a fast read and mildly interesting for a cozy mystery. Edwards makes effective use of humor, especially when describing Jake's unofficial 'Watson,' his photographer Gary. Would love to see Jake eventually ditch his nasty boss Thompson--I guess I'll have to read the next two books in the Jake Russo series to find out if that happens or not!
Recommended as a nice break between heavier-weight books (I was able to squeeze this one in between Donald E. Westlake's huge Kahawa and George R. R.
Rhonda
Feb 27, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about Jake Russo. He was a different type of hero. Jake was sent down to florida to write fluff pieces for his paper. Jake was fat and lost a lot of weight was running 7 miles eating right. but his co-workers back in new york didnt believe. He meets charoltte and later she is found dead on the beach but he believes it was murder. the setting was round senior living partments. the characters are fun and different. I did guess who the bad guys were before the ending. I would read ...more
AvidReader47
Feb 11, 2011 AvidReader47 rated it liked it
Murder in Sarasota (A Jake Russo Mystery) by Phil Edwards was a fun read. Jake Russo is sent down to Sarasota Florida to write for the local paper. He is sent to a senior living facility where he meets Charlotte. She enlists the help of Jake because she banned from playing bridge and someone is stalking her. The ending was pretty easy to figure out, but it didn't stop you from reading. I wanted to find out if I was right, and I was.
Chaun
May 10, 2011 Chaun rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed the story and the characters but I found the author's short choppy sentences jarring. I almost gave up on it about 1/4 of the way in because of this. I also figured out who was behind the murder and mayhem about halfway though but stuck with it to see if I was right. Most likely won't be reading the next in the series though.
Jill
Aug 07, 2016 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was originally named Murder in Sarasota. Newspaper article writer and amateur detective, Jack Russo is a one-dimensional character that is missing the intellectual and/or physical traits normally found in the lead character. The pace moves along and it was easy to figure out who did what early on. The book did not live up to its potential.
Lani
Aug 05, 2013 Lani rated it liked it
Style a little odd and choppy at first, but was a good story with some fun, off-beat characters. Especially appreciated the fact that our hero is attempting to cure himself of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fansite/forums addiction.
Tamara Sakuda
Sep 21, 2013 Tamara Sakuda rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
An interesting take on a cozy mystery -- this is told from a man's point of view. Jake Russo has recently relocated to Florida and has a photographer sidekick that will make you laugh out loud. A good and lighthearted read!
Heather Gordon
Jan 09, 2012 Heather Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so far so good, it is a great who dunit book keeps you wanting to read to find out what will happen next. - I am reading this a free book on Kindle Fire This was a great book and definately did not think the who dunit was them.
Linda
Jun 21, 2011 Linda rated it did not like it
Had to force myself to finish this book. The sentence structure was annoying and the storyline just didn't hold my interest at all. This was the first Jack Russo book I have read and am sure it will be the last.
Dan
Jun 19, 2011 Dan rated it it was ok
Could not get in to this book. I read over half of it and it just wasn't exciting enough for me. This old lady died on the beach and the whole first half was about whether or not she was murdered or died of natural causes. Just didn't keep me interested.
Annette
Jun 18, 2012 Annette rated it really liked it
See my review on Death by Gumbo...
Chris Leuchtenburg
Jun 25, 2012 Chris Leuchtenburg rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Couldn't finish this lame attempt.
Amy
$0.0
Vykki
May 10, 2015 Vykki rated it liked it
Shelves: enjoyable
This was a pretty good mystery. I loved the story and I found the characters entertaining.
Barbara
Mar 24, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
A quirky comfy mystery with lots of humor
Karen
Jul 01, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
It was a little to simple for my taste.
Susan
Jan 05, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Just simply not a very good mystery - not
plot nor setting nor characters worked for this reader.
Clare
Jul 30, 2016 Clare rated it it was ok
Not a bad plot but clunky writing--really read like a first attempt. I liked some of the humor, though--"Gary" cracked me up several times.
Heather Jones
Jun 16, 2014 Heather Jones rated it it was ok
It was a good plot, but something about the writing just did not click for me. It was not terribly written, but seemed to skip at time.
Michelle
read this on my Kindle. title there was "retirement can be murder"
Maria
Mar 02, 2012 Maria rated it it was ok
Just when I thought it was getting better it got worse. It was a clever story though.
Becky Hatch
Becky Hatch rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2011
Wanda Jean
Wanda Jean rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Ree
Ree rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Partners In Crime (Hubbert & Lil, #1)
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  •  Joe Café
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • Waiter, There's a Clue in My Soup! Five Short Mysteries
  • Cold Sake: Yamabuki vs. the Undead
  • Remix
  • The First Madonna (Nicolina Fabiani, #2)
  • Murder Over Easy
  • A Dangerous Woman (A Fay Cunningham Mystery, #1)
  • claire-obscure
  • The Case of the Hook-Billed Kites (Sarah Deane Mystery, #1)
  • Blooming Murder (Iris House B&B, #1)
  • Murder Half-Baked

Jake Russo Mysteries (5 books)
  • Death By Gumbo (A Jake Russo Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Air Can Kill You (A Jake Russo Mystery, #3)
  • The Show Must Go Wrong (A Jake Russo Mystery, #4)
  • Lights! Camera! Murder!: A Jake Russo Mystery (Volume 5)