Start by marking “A Spectre is Haunting Texas” as Want to Read:
A Spectre is Haunting Texas

A Spectre is Haunting Texas

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A Spectre is Haunting Texas is a Fritz Leiber novel, 1st appearing as a book in '69, originally published as a 3-part serial in Galaxy Science Fiction in '68.
Scully Christopher Crockett La Cruz is an actor, fortune seeker & adventurer from the isolated orbital technocratic democracies of Circumluna & the Bubbles Congeries. He lands in what he believes to be Canada
Mass Market Paperback, Catalog ID: #553-06733, 197 pages
Published October 1971 by Bantam (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about A Spectre is Haunting Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spectre is Haunting Texas

Erik Graff
Jul 28, 2011 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leiber fans
Recommended to Erik by: a Three Oaks bibliophile
Back in 1973, the parents having just divorced and me home from college for the summer, I decided to get my eight-years younger brother out of Chicago and away from our depressed father for a few months by bundling him off with me and my friend Martin to the family cottage in Michigan. I got enough work as a gardener for a couple of wealthy couples down the beach to pay the bills by working twenty hours a week and the three of us settled down to a season of sun, sand . . . and more sun and sand. ...more
R. Burns
Aug 31, 2009 R. Burns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one liking Texas, hippies, actors and space opera
Originally, I read this book sometime in the early 1970s, the best I can recall. For those of you who are sci-fi aficionados (I'm not sure I am myself) this was the time of lots of small independent publishing houses that allowed quite a bit of experimentation in the genre.

First the blurb: The protagonist and first person narrator is a Mr. Christopher Crockett Del le Cruz is a denizen of the Sack, a bubble of space station the size of small asteroid that orbits the moon. Time is a couple of hund
Manny
Fritz Leiber, evidently far from sober, writes a bizarre and ill-conceived satire on George W. Bush's America and then manages to get out of his time machine in the wrong decade.

Well, that's the most plausible explanation I've come up with so far.
Perry Whitford
A skeleton-like man from the moon arrives at a future, post nuclear fall-out North America which has become dominated by hormonally enhanced Texans eight feet tall, who subjugate a shrunken class of Mexican helots to keep them in power.

As that introduction suggests, complete nonsense ensues.

For some reason I entered into this book with the perception that it was going to be a meditative, literary piece of science fiction, but that was far from the case!

It's a hokey, silly story, with stupid, f
John
Dec 21, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
1975 grade A
R. Burns
I read this years ago. This is an example of a style/concept that today would probably never be published by a ever-increasingly conservative industry. I plan to re-read it in the coming months and I'll do a proper review when I do.
Olatundji Akpo-sani
Feb 01, 2014 Olatundji Akpo-sani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Olatundji by: Rob Geisen
So far so good. Love to get back to 60's pulp Sci Fi. It has it's own flavor. kind of sweet, alien, and just the other side of the tracks from normal. 30 pages into 217
Rick Claypool
May 25, 2012 Rick Claypool rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
A chauvinistic, skeletonish moon man fakes his way through Mexican uprisings against hormone-bloated Texans in this silly and cynical not-too-distant future adventure.
Reuben Borman
Witty, intelligent, entertaining post-apocalyptic satire.
Peter
Interesting ideas - bit dated now
L J
L J marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Randy
Randy added it
May 20, 2016
Víctor Antón
Víctor Antón marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Reinhold
Reinhold rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
Dennis Hearon
Dennis Hearon rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Peretdesnos
Peretdesnos marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Luke Herson
Luke Herson marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Bryan
Bryan rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Shaun
Shaun added it
May 23, 2016
Greg Hughes
Greg Hughes marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Spacerguy
Spacerguy rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Billy
Billy rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
David Key
David Key marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Darron Moore
Darron Moore rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
José Martins
José Martins marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
  • The Ice Schooner
  • Crab Town
  • Empire
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Transit to Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #1) (Delian Cycle, #1)
  • October the First Is Too Late
  • The Dark Light Years
Fritz Reuter Leiber, Jr. was one of the more interesting of the young writers who came into HP Lovecraft's orbit, and some of his best early short fiction is horror rather than sf or fantasy. He found his mature voice early in the first of the sword-and-sorcery adventures featuring the large sensitive barbarian Fafhrd and the small street-smart-ish Gray Mouser; he returned to this series at variou ...more
More about Fritz Leiber...