The Freshman Survival Guide: Soulful Advice for Studying, Socializing, and Everything In Between

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A values-based guide to navigating that critical first year of college that speaks to college students in their own language and offers practical tools that readers need to keep from drinking, sleeping or skipping their way out of college.

There are numerous guides for choosing a college, paying for college and getting good grades in college But THE FRESHMAN SURVIVAL GUIDE...more
Published April 7th 2011 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Freshman Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Freshman Survival Guide

Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
I received this book from a good reads contest.

The Freshman Survival Guide by Nora Bradbury-Haehl and Bill McGarvey is an easy-to-read book which is, essentially, a very practical handbook for the beginning college freshman. The book is divided into twenty-five chapters with each chapter beginning with a Survival Strategy that sets up the purpose of the chapter and ending with The Takeaway which summarizes the main points one should remember from the chapter. Both of these features are always co...more
Nora
Nov 25, 2012 Nora rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school juniors and seniors, current college students
I've worked with high school and college teens for many years and this book grew out of the experience of seeing young people struggle through their first months away at college. For some the transition was a challenge that affirmed the skills they brought with them but for many others the transition from life at home and high school academics was an uphill battle-a battle which many would lose.

I started getting my college kids together with my high school seniors to have frank conversations abo...more
Justin
Aug 01, 2012 Justin rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I can't believe I finished this book! As a junior in high school eagerly anticipating college I figured my thirst for knowledge would be quenched but unfortunately I was wrong. This book is terribly bland and repetitive. I estimate that about twenty pages are wasted in footnotes telling readers to look online for additional information, quizzes, or lists which could've easily been added into the book. I honestly felt like I was missing out on more helpful tools that were online but I bought this...more
Stephanie Sowers
Jun 02, 2014 Stephanie Sowers rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school seniors, upcoming college freshman, counselors and parents.
Recommended to Stephanie by: my mother
This book is really helpful and I actually read it in a day. Some of the information is common sense to me, but I really liked the tips and stories from current and past college students about a variety of topics. And the book splits up topics into chapters, so one can come back to this book at any time (I know I might). There was a lot of statistics when talking about certain topics, and I like that this book and the advice was backed up by facts.
Megan Pertiet
I thought that this book was really reader/student friendly. The chapters were split up nicely. Although I felt that the tips were kind of like duh..... and if your going to college you probably already know some of this stuff. But some of the other tips were helpful and the personal stories were insightful.
Don Smith
Nora knows what she's talking about, and it shows. With years of experience working with high school and college aged students, her advice is spot on. The approachable style alongside sage advice makes this a must-have for every high school senior or college freshman.
Nicole Vital
I thought this was the best college freshmen preparation book I read so far. I really enjoyed the religious aspect that this book brings to light because my faith in college was something I was very worried about!
Lauren
This was really helpful, but in some ways it made me feel even *more* nervous about going to school alone. As truthful as it was, I wish it would have pointed out more of the positives than the negatives.
Farrell
It was religious based (which I didnt expect) but I read it through on my plane ride. I liked some advice more than others. Well see if I follow it!
Lisa Hardy
This book brought back memories for me and I think it makes a great graduation gift. I have gifted several and would recommend.
Doxielover367
It was informative some parts were funny but also some parts got very boring. Overall I liked it.
shinfu
Mar 20, 2011 shinfu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have just won this book from First Reads. I look forward to reading it. Thanks.
Donut Love
general. redundant. boring. not-helpful.
Brillare
Mar 02, 2011 Brillare marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Could be useful. :)
Joyce Munro
Joyce Munro marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Shaina
Shaina marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Molly
Molly is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Jessica Stegner
Jessica Stegner marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Marian
Marian is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
Louie
Louie added it
Jul 03, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nora Bradbury-Haehl has worked with teenagers and college students for over twenty years. She's the person they call when things get tricky. Nora is a contributing editor for BustedHalo.com. She authored "ScriptureWalk", and "ScriptureWalk: Discipleship", and was a writer for "Breakthrough! The Bible for Young Catholics" all with St. Mary's Press. She is a popular speaker and workshop leader.

Nora...more
More about Nora Bradbury-Haehl...
God's Word Your World Scripturewalk Senior High Discipleship: Bible-Based Sessions for Teens Scripturewalk Senior High: Youth Themes