Start by marking “Cold Blood (Lorraine Page, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cold Blood (Lorraine Page, #2)

Cold Blood (Lorraine Page #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  595 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Lorraine is a three-time loser: an ex-LAPD cop, ex-hooker, ex-wife, even an ex-mom, since she lost custody of her kids. She is recovering from the alcoholism that nearly destroyed her life and, through tremendous force of will, has managed to pull herself back together and set up her own private detective agency in Los Angeles, but she finds that there is scant demand for ...more
Published November 17th 1998 by Random House (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Blood

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton EllisThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
I Like Serial Killers
264th out of 579 books — 910 voters
Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnDark Places by Gillian FlynnSharp Objects by Gillian FlynnThe Girl in 6E by A.R. TorreCornered Coyote by Dianne Harman
Female Psychological Thrillers/Suspense
102nd out of 255 books — 598 voters

More lists with this book...

Bettynz
Totally unputdownable. Not just cos it was a brilliant insight into New Orleans, but because of the excellent plot.
John Kendall
Very good Book, you will not want to put this down.
Julie
I have not read any Lynda la Plante books before although i have seen several of her television adaptations. I could not put this book down it was set in New Orleans and was gripping and fast paced from start to finish. The story revolved around a private detective agency which was on the brink of closing through lack of cases, run by 2 ex- alcoholics one of which was an ex cop but was thrown out of the force for shooting an unarmed boy. They are offered a life line in the form of the hunt for ...more
Ilze
La Plante is well-known for her "Trial and Retribution" series as well as books about Lieutenant Anna Travis. The "Cold Blood" (Cold Shoulder, Cold Heart) books concern ex-alcoholic PI Lorraine Page.

There was a time when I thought I liked the Page books better than the Travis ones, but now I'm not sure anymore. Why does the writer create so many emotions in the reader? As soon as the reader's hooked onto a character, that person either gets killed or hurt and the reader is left to balk at the m
Catten
The Chicago Tribune is quoted on the back of the paperback Cold Blood as saying, "Complex plotting and a merciless eye toward human nature." I'll concede the first point, but have a little trouble with the second.

First, the setup: Lorraine Page is a struggling private detective. And she struggles on many levels – she's an ex-cop who lost her job, an ex-wife who lost her family, and an ex-alcoholic who's trying not to lose her battle with the bottle. Okay, that could make for an interesting chara
Reader50
In this, the second book in the Lorraine Page trilogy, Lorraine, a recovering alcoholic and ex-LAPD lieutentant, now a self-employed PI, is hired by a former Hollywood star to find her eighteen year-old daughter who disappeared a year ago in New Orleans on the eve of Mardi Gras. With Rosie, her rooommate who took her in when she had nowhere to go, and Rooney, her former LAPD comrade, in tow, the threesome become enmeshed in voodoo, the superstitions and practices, in the course of their investig ...more
Chris Porter
I thought book 1 was great, this is even better. Another brilliant book, and the characters are fantastic.
Gail Reeve
Superb book, didn't want yo put it down, Lynda La Plant at her best
Ellen Tristram
Not really my kind of genre, it probably isn't a bad book. It has enough complications in it to make it exciting, but I just felt my attention drifting: it didn't engage me. Well, at least I did try out another genre!
Serena
This was good but I did feel that the plot was being stretched very thin to ensure that it was of novel length. There were a few obvious flag posts for clues and some I didn't quite get - was the father of the murdered girl's friend in on the murder or not? The voodoo explanations were confusing and in my mind contradicting at times with the lameness that people not living with voodoo in their lives wouldn't understand. So I suppose what I'm saying is that I wasn't convinced by the story but it ...more
Sharon
It's not often that a murder mystery gets to the very end and still have the ability to surprise. The character is based on a real, honest to goodness poiice officer who fell off the world and suffered the horrible consequences of losing her life, as she knew it. This is a story of a woman battling to come back, against all odds and the friends who stuck by her and put themselves in danger to do that. Based on a real woman, loosely I suspect, but there you have it. It's a rewarding read.ds
Amanda Astbury
gritty but a good read
Lorna
A bit predictable but an enjoyable read.
Jenny
I could not put this down, gripping to the last page.
Rosanne
Loved this book. I selected this book because of the author, Lynda LaPlante. I knew she had written the Prime Suspect series on WTTW which I enjoyed She did not disappoint. Her main character reminads me of the character portayed by Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect. Good plot, I couldn't guess the ending, and that is always a plus for me.
Aida
I'm a huge fan of La Plante.. but this was not one of my favorites.
Debbie
I love the grittiness of Lynda la Plante books and this lived up to my expectations. Having visited New Orleans last year the setting was especially vivid for me, the plot was good and this book a real page turner. A great read from the comfort of your sun lounger!
Sidse
Jeg forstår ikke, at forfatteren kan sidde og se så glad ud med denne bog i hånden. Medmindre det er for at grine hele vejen ned til banken! Ikke spændende, fuld af klicheer, og "sagde hun stille" er at finde overalt i bogen. Så find dog på noget andet!
Kathryn Bowers
A gripping start that lures you in. Good pace with a few twists and turns making it a book you don't want to put down. Keeps you hooked until the end. However, some of the twists were somewhat predictable and the ending could have had more depth.
Chloe
this seies about ex-cop, ex alcoholic, Lorraine Page, who turns her detective skills into a private investiagtion company, very well written, and intriging untill the very last word.
Andrew Mills
Love Lynda La Plant and after this one love Lorraine Page even though
I worked how dun it about three quaters through
I thought it might get a bit more into the voodoo side of the story
Margaret
Too long and convoluted. I didn't care about any of the characters so I started to resent the amount of time I was spending with them getting to the resolution!
Peter Charleston
Lynda La Plante provides an interesting drama of murder. The characters come about as real individuals with all their flaws in life. An enjoyable reading adventure.
Khingaa
love it!! could not put it down, just wonderful novel. i find it much better than the 1st book of the series. cannot wait what cold heart will unveil!!
Babete
Um policial da "velha" guarda ainda comprado na Feira do Livro este ano; o 1º que leio desta autora/actriz, mas certamente não o último!
Evie
Public library copy.

I liked it, but I am never fond of New Orleans as a setting. So many mysteries I read are located there.
Sabrina
That was a thrilling read. As my first time reading one of La Plante works, I am positively surprised.
Melanie Dix

An easy read, dragged on a little but still I couldn't put it down .
kramox
I liked alot. Book was really well written, didn't get boring at any time.
Julie
Absolutely loved this book - spine chilling. Would recommend.
  • Angels Passing (DI Joe Faraday, #3)
  • Perfectly Pure and Good (Sarah Fortune, #2)
  • Closed Circle
  • The Safe House
  • Cleanskin
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3)
  • Keep Me Close
  • Never Cross a Vampire (Toby Peters, #5)
  • The Coroner (Jenny Cooper, #1)
  • The Ladykiller
  • Relentless
  • Forget Me Not
  • Scarlet Women (Annie Carter #3)
Lynda La Plante (born Lynda Titchmarsh) is a British author, screenwriter, and erstwhile actress (her performances in Rentaghost and other programmes were under her stage name of Lynda Marchal), best known for writing the Prime Suspect television crime series.

Her first TV series as a scriptwriter was the six part robbery series Widows, in 1983, in which the widows of four armed robbers carry out a
More about Lynda La Plante...

Lorraine Page (3 books)
  • Cold Shoulder (Lorraine Page, #1)
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
Above Suspicion (Anna Travis #1) The Red Dahlia (Anna Travis #2) Clean Cut (Anna Travis, #3) Silent Scream (Anna Travis, #5) Blind Fury (Anna Travis, #6)