Start by marking “Cold Blood (Lorraine Page, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cold Blood (Lorraine Page, #2)

Cold Blood (Lorraine Page #2)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  695 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Lorraine is a three-time loser: an ex-LAPD cop, ex-hooker, ex-wife, even an ex-mom, since she lost custody of her kids. She is recovering from the alcoholism that nearly destroyed her life and, through tremendous force of will, has managed to pull herself back together and set up her own private detective agency in Los Angeles, but she finds that there is scant demand for ...more
Published November 17th 1998 by Random House (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Blood

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton EllisThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
I Like Serial Killers
323rd out of 668 books — 1,093 voters
Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnDark Places by Gillian FlynnSharp Objects by Gillian FlynnThe Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsThe Girl in 6E by A.R. Torre
Female Psychological Thrillers/Suspense
198th out of 470 books — 1,258 voters

More lists with this book...

Bettynz
Feb 10, 2008 Bettynz rated it really liked it
Totally unputdownable. Not just cos it was a brilliant insight into New Orleans, but because of the excellent plot.
John Kendall
Nov 24, 2007 John Kendall rated it it was amazing
Very good Book, you will not want to put this down.
Sridhar Babu
Jul 28, 2015 Sridhar Babu rated it really liked it
Author..
Lynda La plante..
Location..
Los Angels and New Orleans (USA)..
Characters..
Lorraine Page, Rosie, Elizabeth Caley, Robert Caley, Anna Louise Caley, Tilda Brown, Rosie, Bill Rooney, Nick Bartello, Fryer Jones, Juda Salina, Edith Corbello,
Genre..
Mystery..
PLOT..
Anna Louise Caley disappeared with out a trace. Accompanied by her parents Elizabeth, yesteryear star and Robert Caley well known, real estate magnet, Anna flew from Los Angeles to New Orleans, was officially reported missing from
Booknblues
Jan 24, 2016 Booknblues rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, bnb
With Cold Blood, Lynda LaPlante continues her story of ex-cop Lorraine Page which she began in Cold Shoulder. Lorraine Page continues her journey back to the top in Cold Blood after hitting rock bottom, and turning tricks for survival in Cold Shoulder. While this book does not contain the angst of the previous, it is a good, readable detective story.
With an offer of one million dollars on the table, Lorraine joins the hunt for lost heiress Anna Louise Caley. Lorraine uses her street savvy and c
Julie
Aug 15, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
I have not read any Lynda la Plante books before although i have seen several of her television adaptations. I could not put this book down it was set in New Orleans and was gripping and fast paced from start to finish. The story revolved around a private detective agency which was on the brink of closing through lack of cases, run by 2 ex- alcoholics one of which was an ex cop but was thrown out of the force for shooting an unarmed boy. They are offered a life line in the form of the hunt for ...more
Ilze
Feb 19, 2009 Ilze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Plante is well-known for her "Trial and Retribution" series as well as books about Lieutenant Anna Travis. The "Cold Blood" (Cold Shoulder, Cold Heart) books concern ex-alcoholic PI Lorraine Page.

There was a time when I thought I liked the Page books better than the Travis ones, but now I'm not sure anymore. Why does the writer create so many emotions in the reader? As soon as the reader's hooked onto a character, that person either gets killed or hurt and the reader is left to balk at the m
Catten
Dec 04, 2008 Catten rated it it was ok
The Chicago Tribune is quoted on the back of the paperback Cold Blood as saying, "Complex plotting and a merciless eye toward human nature." I'll concede the first point, but have a little trouble with the second.

First, the setup: Lorraine Page is a struggling private detective. And she struggles on many levels – she's an ex-cop who lost her job, an ex-wife who lost her family, and an ex-alcoholic who's trying not to lose her battle with the bottle. Okay, that could make for an interesting chara
Reader50
Aug 23, 2012 Reader50 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
In this, the second book in the Lorraine Page trilogy, Lorraine, a recovering alcoholic and ex-LAPD lieutentant, now a self-employed PI, is hired by a former Hollywood star to find her eighteen year-old daughter who disappeared a year ago in New Orleans on the eve of Mardi Gras. With Rosie, her rooommate who took her in when she had nowhere to go, and Rooney, her former LAPD comrade, in tow, the threesome become enmeshed in voodoo, the superstitions and practices, in the course of their investig ...more
Sue
Oct 16, 2015 Sue rated it liked it
Despite the good reviews of this book, I can't say I was bowled over. At times there seemed parts that was just ramblings and nothing to do with the story. Also the voodoo issues lay uneasy with me. I ended up just skim reading to find out the ending, get the book shut and on to another, which happens to be by the same author!
Alison Scheppel
Oct 29, 2015 Alison Scheppel rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Lorraine revealed her 'fragile' side more. The storyline kept you guessing at times & at times I felt like I just couldn't put this book down. Great read.
Chris Porter
Aug 26, 2014 Chris Porter rated it it was amazing
I thought book 1 was great, this is even better. Another brilliant book, and the characters are fantastic.
Gail Reeve
Sep 17, 2014 Gail Reeve rated it it was amazing
Superb book, didn't want yo put it down, Lynda La Plant at her best
E
May 26, 2014 E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really my kind of genre, it probably isn't a bad book. It has enough complications in it to make it exciting, but I just felt my attention drifting: it didn't engage me. Well, at least I did try out another genre!
Serena
Sep 01, 2011 Serena rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-book-shelf
This was good but I did feel that the plot was being stretched very thin to ensure that it was of novel length. There were a few obvious flag posts for clues and some I didn't quite get - was the father of the murdered girl's friend in on the murder or not? The voodoo explanations were confusing and in my mind contradicting at times with the lameness that people not living with voodoo in their lives wouldn't understand. So I suppose what I'm saying is that I wasn't convinced by the story but it ...more
Amanda
Jan 10, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
Excellent plot, which makes the book hard to put down.
Sharon
Jul 11, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
It's not often that a murder mystery gets to the very end and still have the ability to surprise. The character is based on a real, honest to goodness poiice officer who fell off the world and suffered the horrible consequences of losing her life, as she knew it. This is a story of a woman battling to come back, against all odds and the friends who stuck by her and put themselves in danger to do that. Based on a real woman, loosely I suspect, but there you have it. It's a rewarding read.ds
Amanda Astbury
Aug 02, 2014 Amanda Astbury rated it liked it
gritty but a good read
Lorna
Dec 29, 2014 Lorna rated it liked it
A bit predictable but an enjoyable read.
Jenny
May 20, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
I could not put this down, gripping to the last page.
Rosanne
May 13, 2009 Rosanne rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I selected this book because of the author, Lynda LaPlante. I knew she had written the Prime Suspect series on WTTW which I enjoyed She did not disappoint. Her main character reminads me of the character portayed by Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect. Good plot, I couldn't guess the ending, and that is always a plus for me.
Aida
Jan 16, 2014 Aida rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of La Plante.. but this was not one of my favorites.
Debbie
Oct 06, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
I love the grittiness of Lynda la Plante books and this lived up to my expectations. Having visited New Orleans last year the setting was especially vivid for me, the plot was good and this book a real page turner. A great read from the comfort of your sun lounger!
Sidse
Feb 20, 2012 Sidse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jeg forstår ikke, at forfatteren kan sidde og se så glad ud med denne bog i hånden. Medmindre det er for at grine hele vejen ned til banken! Ikke spændende, fuld af klicheer, og "sagde hun stille" er at finde overalt i bogen. Så find dog på noget andet!
Kathryn Bowers
Apr 11, 2011 Kathryn Bowers rated it really liked it
A gripping start that lures you in. Good pace with a few twists and turns making it a book you don't want to put down. Keeps you hooked until the end. However, some of the twists were somewhat predictable and the ending could have had more depth.
Chloe
Jan 28, 2010 Chloe rated it it was amazing
this seies about ex-cop, ex alcoholic, Lorraine Page, who turns her detective skills into a private investiagtion company, very well written, and intriging untill the very last word.
Andrew Mills
Jan 18, 2013 Andrew Mills rated it really liked it
Love Lynda La Plant and after this one love Lorraine Page even though
I worked how dun it about three quaters through
I thought it might get a bit more into the voodoo side of the story
Margaret
Nov 15, 2010 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too long and convoluted. I didn't care about any of the characters so I started to resent the amount of time I was spending with them getting to the resolution!
Peter Charleston
Oct 31, 2013 Peter Charleston rated it really liked it
Lynda La Plante provides an interesting drama of murder. The characters come about as real individuals with all their flaws in life. An enjoyable reading adventure.
Khingaa
Dec 30, 2014 Khingaa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrilling, mystery
love it!! could not put it down, just wonderful novel. i find it much better than the 1st book of the series. cannot wait what cold heart will unveil!!
Babete
Feb 04, 2011 Babete rated it liked it
Um policial da "velha" guarda ainda comprado na Feira do Livro este ano; o 1º que leio desta autora/actriz, mas certamente não o último!
  • Perfectly Pure and Good (Sarah Fortune, #2)
  • Angels Passing (DI Joe Faraday, #3)
  • Keep Me Close
  • Blood of My Blood
  • You Bet Your Life (Toby Peters, #3)
  • The Amethysts
  • Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3)
  • Cleanskin
  • The Pinocchio Syndrome
  • Blanche Among the Talented Tenth (Blanche White #2)
  • Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)
  • Desert Wives (A Lena Jones Mystery #2)
  • Safe House
  • The Ladykiller
  • Two Faced
  • Closed Circle
  • Quiet as a Nun (Jemima Shore, #1)
Lynda La Plante (born Lynda Titchmarsh) is a British author, screenwriter, and erstwhile actress (her performances in Rentaghost and other programmes were under her stage name of Lynda Marchal), best known for writing the Prime Suspect television crime series.

Her first TV series as a scriptwriter was the six part robbery series Widows, in 1983, in which the widows of four armed robbers carry out a
More about Lynda La Plante...

Lorraine Page (3 books)
  • Cold Shoulder (Lorraine Page, #1)
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)