Start by marking “The Girlfriend Curse” as Want to Read:
The Girlfriend Curse

The Girlfriend Curse

It's uncanny! Within six months of breaking up with her, Peg Silver's ex-lovers always meet and marry the women of their dreams. Even worse than being the eternal bridesmaid, she's the last girlfriend, the one who awakens in a guy theknowledge of what he's always wanted in a relationship ... and it's never with Peg. Obviously, a major lifestyle change is seriously called f

Published March 1st 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 18th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Girlfriend Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girlfriend Curse

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenSomething Blue by Emily Giffin
Best chicklit
203rd out of 685 books — 1,028 voters

More lists with this book...

Lora
Dec 01, 2011 Lora rated it it was ok
In all honesty, I'd give this book a 2.5. I didn't love it but I didn't dislike it either. The premise is interesting but I have to say that I found the characters rather ridiculous. Are there really people in the world like this? And this isn't my first Frankel book, and I'm no prude, but the language is pretty crude at times. I don't feel like her descriptions of sex or male/female genitalia needed to be so rude and it didn't add anything to the story for me.
Michelle
Aug 13, 2007 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
one of those lay on the beach, useless mind clutter. mildly entertaining.
Roxanne
Jul 22, 2011 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a massive massive sucker for romance/comedy books and "The Girlfriend Curse" really hit it for me. I thought it was going to be one of those predictable girl meet boy, girl/boy fall in love kind of story but it wasn't, there were so much twists and unpredictable things happening, my imagination went crazy. I actually laughed so much on the sex jokes, yes, there are sex jokes, i didn't expect them but they were there and the thing is, i usually get a bit uncomfortable reading about people ...more
TaleTerror
Feb 04, 2016 TaleTerror rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic novel!

Characters were great to read, they never bored me, the plot was the best thing about this book and the writing was funny and quirky that made me laugh in places and others that i just couldnt supress a smile in if i wanted too.

Peg is the ultimate last girlfriend, a year of dating then six months after the breakup all Peg's ex's have changed minds and get hitched. So she picks up and leave's New York City behind and moves to Vermont. Meets Ray on the train, her house is
Lauren
Oct 13, 2016 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
Peg is getting over her ex when he calls her for a reunion. Thinking they may be getting back together, she agrees to meet with him but when he brings his fiancee, Peg can't take it anymore. Looking back at all her ex's, she finds that almost all of them got engaged with the next person they started dating after Peg. Peg is the chronic last girlfriend. She decides she needs to get out of New York and start fresh.

Peg buys a home on a huge plot of land in Vermont and moves there. On the train, sh
Sheryl
Oct 09, 2016 Sheryl rated it liked it
Good hurricane book!
Patrice
Jan 18, 2013 Patrice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
I received this book as a gift for Christmas 2006. Life tends to get in the way and I hadn't read it until now. It is a contemporary romantic comedy. Peg Silver is the main character who finds out that her ex-boyfriends from the past few years or so have all married, or are about to marry, the girl they dated after their break-up with Peg, hence the title of The Girlfriend Curse. Peg’s best friend, Nina, hired a private investigator to see if it was true, after she ran into a few of Peg’s exes. ...more
Jul 30, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
I bought this book at a library book sale because I had read "The Accidental Virgin" by Frankel and really enjoyed it. This book was written after TAV and was also good, but not quite as good as TAV. I was pleasantly surprised that Stacy Temple from TAV was featured in the book and we got an update on her life. I read a fair bit of it ON the beach, so it was definitely light.

It got a little silly at the end, which slightly turned me off. Frankel gives readers resolution on several characters in
Linda Katzman
Feb 17, 2012 Linda Katzman rated it really liked it
Ever wonder where your ex boyfriends are now? When Peg Silver’s most recent ex calls her up to thank her for making him a better man and introduce her to his fiancé, best friend Nina and her become curious about the rest of her ex boyfriends. The private eye Nina hired tells them that all of her ex boyfriends have gotten married within six month of dumping her. Peg decides to do something about it. She packs her bags and moves to Vermont. To break the curse of being the last girlfriend, she ...more
Casey Cramp
Feb 06, 2016 Casey Cramp rated it liked it
An enjoyable read with a quirky storyline.

I liked, and could (sadly) relate to the premise of the tale and the main character.
Feeling cursed when things aren't going the way you thought they were, time and time again, leads to deciding to shake things up and making a lifestyle change. Added to this is personal interaction with new and interesting people at a retreat like location.

Witty banter, misunderstandings, physical and mental challenges all make The Girlfriend Curse an enjoyable read.
Michelle
Mar 05, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
Based on the synopsis at the back of the book I expected this to be a light good hearted book about finding love and I was not disappointed. I liked the main characters and secondary characters and the author put them in enough unexpected situations that the reader was not bored by overused romantic situations. The snappy comments were funny and entertaining in addition to re-enforcing the personalities of the characters. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. This is the first book that I ...more
Diana
A chance encounter with an ex-boyfriend makes Peg realize that her last six boyfriends have all gone directly from breaking up to her to meeting and marrying their future wives. Disheartened with New York's dating scene, she packs up and heads to Vermont, and attend an Inward Bound retreat to relearn dating, run by sexy psychologist Linus.

A very different heroine, who is not quite neurotic and still very fun. The story itself was vaguely interesting, but a little on the bland side. It meandered
Rochelle
Aug 28, 2012 Rochelle rated it really liked it
I thought this book had such potential. The plot seemed appealing and romantic. I couldn't relate to the main character Peg at all. She was way too confident and thought every man she met wanted to sleep with her. I like the secondary characters a lot. I feel like the author developed them more than the hero Linus. I would have like to know more about him. All in all it was a fun read with a happy ending.
Linda
Oct 04, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever had any trouble dating and is ready to laugh about it
Shelves: borrowed
I enjoy reading a book that makes you laugh out loud and this one definitely does that. You can actually picture the main character going through everything that happens and relate to it, even if you've never had such an experience. Unfortunately, Ms. Frankel needs a new editor/publisher/whoever because this edition was loaded with typos, which I found to be distracting and slowed me down a bit. Overall, a great funny story that everyone should read.
Julie
Dec 20, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
A little put off by the content at first but once I got over that I really enjoyed it. It lost a star because of the language and some crudeness. She's got her mind in the gutter but it was spun in a humorous way. A comical book with some really good insight on some things I know now but didn't know then reasons for being single.
Arisha
Nov 23, 2014 Arisha rated it it was ok
What I learned from this book: If you give men sex right away, they'll eventually leave you for someone else. BUT if you wait for three whole weeks and then strip as soon as possible after he confesses his love for you, he'll marry you within a year. I think this book wanted to have some sort of message for women about respecting themselves, but it missed the mark.
Rafa
Aug 23, 2013 Rafa rated it really liked it
i enjoyed reading this book, it is kinda predictable but it is not your ordinary boy meets girl and fell in love kind of thing :) if you are looking for something light to read, read this one!
Rafa xx
Kristine
Feb 20, 2011 Kristine rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
It was ok. I felt it could have ended wayyyy earlier than it did. Also, the author repeats too much of the content. I felt like I could have skimmed whole pages of the book, and would have still read the book.
Kathy Pham
Jul 07, 2007 Kathy Pham rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any girl whose ex boyfriend marries the next girl he's with after her
Guys suck. And sometimes by putting your foot down and not dealing with their BS they finally wise up so they don't lose another great girl. But eventually you'll find the guy who's not a fixer upper - he'll be as fabulous as you.
Tiffany L.
Jun 24, 2008 Tiffany L. rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
About a gal whose ex's always end up married within 6 months of breaking up with her. So she figures out how to end the curse. Wasn't anything earth shattering, but an easy chic lit read. I did lol at a few things.
Melanie
Jul 17, 2009 Melanie rated it did not like it
I was unimpressed with this book. It was really hard to get through. I am usually a big fan of all of Frankel's work. This book was boring and unoriginal. I never felt like I got to know the characters very well. It did have some funny parts.
Shana Banana
Jun 12, 2008 Shana Banana rated it really liked it
Good read. I was a little unsure at first but as the story progresses you don't want to put it down. There is a a lot of pyscho babble, self help stuff thrown in...what women do wrong in relationships. Good stuff:).
Dev
Sep 23, 2007 Dev rated it liked it
Shelves: 2005, chicklit
This is the first book I've read by Ms. Frankel. Based on it, I would definitely read future titles by this author. The book was comical and the characters pretty well developed.
Sep 11, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Good enough to keep my interest for a one day read and tries to keep us guessing to the bitter end. It isn't one I'll pass on to my friends and say it's a must read. It had its moments.
Christy Stewart
Is Tyra Banks one of your heroes? Do you love Pretty Woman? Have you ever texted your vote for an American Idol contestant?

Go ahead and buy this book.
Krystal
Jun 01, 2007 Krystal rated it did not like it
Shelves: chicklit
this book was very predictable, and I finished reading it only by virtue of having to finish something a book once I start it...especially when I have nothing else to read
Jenika Ioffreda
Jul 25, 2016 Jenika Ioffreda rated it did not like it
I lasted less than 30 pages and I stopped reading. I couldn't connect with the characters, nor with the heroine. It didn't seem such a bad story but I prefer to try other books.
Phoebe Cruz
Dec 21, 2015 Phoebe Cruz rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful work of Ms. Frankel! Oh, how I wish there is an actual Inward Bound for lost souls *sobs, sobs*
Tanya
Jun 04, 2015 Tanya rated it liked it
This was a cute book, you're really rooting for her to find someone. A quick read that most women can relate to.
stacie
Oct 02, 2012 stacie rated it liked it
relatable to anyone who ever was frustrated that their exes were all getting married and they weren't. A funny story of how Peg becomes aware of her issues and tries to change them, camp style.
  • Pick Me Up
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend
  • Lost for Words
  • The Chalet Girl
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Does She or Doesn't She?
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
She's written twenty books (e.g., The Accidental Virgin and The Girlfriend Curse), and contributed to dozens of publications including the New York Times, Self, Allure, Glamour, Parenting and Good Housekeeping. Her memoir, Thin Is the New Happy, about overcoming bad body image after 30 years of dieting and self-loathing, was recently described as "Rueful, zestful and surprisingly funny," by the ...more
More about Valerie Frankel...

“Women get into a relationship hoping a man will change, and he never does; men get into a relationship hoping the woman don't change, but she always does. Men want their partners to be consistent. That they won't make impromptu impossible demands nor baffle him with classically female sudden-onset hysterical behavior.” 16 likes
“When you look in the mirror, it's usually to fix your hair or put on makeup. To examine your body searching for problem areas. We look at ourselves to see the flaw, not beauty. And we look at predictable times, in the morning, after using the bathroom, before bed. We hardly ever see ourselves when we aren't prepared for inspection. But only when you're unprepared can you see your true self, your true beauty.” 14 likes