Start by marking “Raising the Stones (Arbai, #2)” as Want to Read:
Raising the Stones (Arbai, #2)

Raising the Stones (Arbai #2)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,869 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
The author of The Gate to Women's Country and Grass weaves a moving story of one man's coming to accept his role in a far future universe, providing a brilliant exploration of relations between the sexes, the value of religion, and marnkind's place in the universe.
Published November 14th 2002 by Gollancz (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Raising the Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising the Stones

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
486th out of 5,331 books — 17,884 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodUglies by Scott Westerfeld
Best Science Fiction With a Female Protagonist
115th out of 816 books — 2,070 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsay
This book was pretty uneven. There were parts of it that I loved, and (usually longer) parts I was bored by. It could have benefited from some tightening up; the parts that bored me seemed to be just waiting for the plot to catch up with the exposition.

However, even though it probably contributed to the book's length, I liked the fact that the story was told from so many characters' perspectives. Especially because this isn't a story about individuals, but about societies, it seems necessary to
Isabel (kittiwake)
Mar 10, 2015 Isabel (kittiwake) rated it really liked it
A black-and-white tabby cat came into the room with a live ferf in her jaws. She jumped onto the plinth and laid the animal against the base of the mass, then jumped down and left the room, purring loudly.
Two other cats came in with similar burdens.
"That was Gotoit's cat," Jep remarked after a time. "That stripey one. She calls it Lucky."
Saturday nodded and brushed the surface of the plinth with her bare palm, cleaning away the few scraps of scruffy ferf hair that remained on the stone. The bodi
Emily
Nov 04, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it
This was good stuff. Like lots of Tepper's books, it grappled with issues of gender roles and spirituality.

The story takes place in a solar system where there are several occupied worlds. One of these worlds, a relative backwater, has some indigenous gods. They look like big stones that live in little houses, and are tended by the Ones Who. The Ones Who are people who just start to feel as though they would like to take care of the local god. On this planet, there is little conflict or struggle
Delicious Strawberry
I read 'Sideshow' before this, and reading this book actually made some of the things in Sideshow easier to understand. This is my favorite book out of the trilogy, though the trilogy overall is good and I recommend all three books. The premise is very interesting, and it's easy to see that the strictly patriarchal religion of Voorstod is a combination of fundamentalist Christian and Islamic teachings. Not surprising since Ms. Tepper has very strong feminist feelings and this shows up a lot in h ...more
Kate
Dec 14, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
I'd forgotten quite how amazing this book is. Tepper when she is on form writes grippingly and her characters are really well formed. The Grass/Stones/Sideshow trilogy is my absolute favourite of hers, and of the three books, I think Stones is the best. The plot is multi-layered and intriguing, and I LOVE the idea of the Hobbs Land Gods (and the reasons why some people/cultures/religions might think that they might not be a good thing). I just wish they were real as to be honest, the world could ...more
Amanda
May 12, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Loved it. Samasnier Girat, the narrator, is irritating as crap for a good bit of the book, but the things he's irritating about help you understand life on Hobb's Land.
There's a scene I particularly love, about the aftermath of a terrorist attack against Hobb's Land, where Mysore Hobbs tries to find out what happened and why, and runs up against a bureacracy to end all bureacracies. After the tragedy of the killings in the previous chapters, this restrained and slyly funny interlude was very wel
Zack Hiwiller
Jan 15, 2013 Zack Hiwiller rated it it was amazing
Pretty much everything I look for in SF/F. The plot was lively and kept me interested. The characters were multi-dimensional. The sci-fi ideas made sense and served the story, the Big Ideas were meaningful and dealt with some relevant philosophical questions and there were just enough oddball things (like the Porsa) that the story will stick with me.

However, I can see this one being not for everyone. There are almost as many characters as Game of Thrones and it doesn't seem like their stories wi
DiscoSpacePanther
More sociologically complex than Grass, the first in the Arbai series, Raising the Stones is an unsettling exploration of the effects that various forms of religious belief have on societies, from the apparently benign, to the avowedly malevolent.

I can't be the only recent reader who sees the Taliban and ISIS/ISIL/Daesh in the doctrine of the men of Voorstod.

I look forward to Sideshow, the next in the sequence.
Martha
Apr 10, 2009 Martha rated it it was amazing
Chris Winters
Jul 18, 2015 Chris Winters rated it it was amazing
Sheri S. Tepper's "Raising the Stones" is sometimes billed as the second part of her "Arbai" trilogy, but that's a misnomer, as this book easily stands on its own. It shares the same universe as its predecessor, "Grass," but is otherwise set one thousand years later and with very few exceptions has no apparent connection to the earlier novel.
That said, it's definitely a thematic cousin to "Grass" and much of Tepper's other work in that it deals with religion and women and male privilege. Tepper
Mitch
Mar 08, 2014 Mitch rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I found this book objectionable for the same reasons a woman would dislike reading a novel thoroughly laced with misogynist statements.

Ms. Tepper does this well. Only on occasion does she descend into angry rants against men; she is far more subtle and skillful than that most of the time. But it's all there.

Men are to be mistrusted. They are misled, egotistic, violent, power-hungry, oppressive, cruel and only capable of being saved by becoming more like women.

Raising the Stones? More like cuttin
Mary Holland
Sheri Tepper has written over 20 books, and in my opinion, this is one of her best. It's not mentioned anymore in her current back jacket blurb and seems to be overlooked. It's also out of print, which is a shame. Tepper is known for polemical writing and sometimes it overwhelms her story, but here she gets the balance just right. It has a wonderful, unusual premise: what if you had a god that worked? Her world-building is perfect, logical, and fascinating, and the characters are memorable. ...more
Michael Battaglia
Or "This is Why I Dislike All the Fictional Religions I've Made Up".

Reading a bunch of these starts to engender a cozy familiarity after a while. Opening one of her books is like visiting an old friend who's endearing but kind of a crank. You enjoy spending time with them but you know at some point they're going to start going on about the same old things in the way they always have, politics, religion, why men stink, and while they won't say anything terribly new you've known them for so long y
Amos
Aug 02, 2010 Amos rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. This is the first book I've read by this author; I love her philosophy and theology and admire how she presents it through a wonderful story. I appreciated her pacing; not rushing from action scene to action scene, plenty of time to get to know the characters and come to care for them. Good suspense building toward the end, with some fine humor thrown in.
Amy
Apr 05, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Much more complicated than Grass, and tied to it only loosely. Also a much bigger, more wandering book. In some ways it was much better, and sometimes impossible to put down--other times I wandered away for a day or two and had to push myself to return to it. A lot of the Voorstod stuff is a little on the nose even for me, less sympathetic to the patriarchal religions than anyone. But it was definitely worth reading. I wish it had been a little bit tighter--a clearer story. I suppose it's Sam Gi ...more
Marie
Feb 09, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing
This book started out a little slow, but in a good way: the writer is building up so many threads of story, it's all coming together in an exciting fashion... I've lost so many hours of sleep this week.

I felt dismayed at first because the even in a distant future there was violence through intense racism, sexism and religious intolerance. But it was like reading a warning that humanity never really changes until it is forced to.

My favourite theme was how we sometimes see our parents as legends
Rita	 Marie
Feb 07, 2016 Rita Marie rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this one. Although it is billed as "Arbai #2," it isn't really any such. There are a few wee things you might pick up if you read Grass first, but they're not important. This book stands on its own.

Particularly notable -- the many types of gods, relationship of people to their gods, and the hilarious struggle of a committee to 'define god.' Also the character 'Sam Girat' and his relationship with his parents.
James Owen Ether
Feb 16, 2009 James Owen Ether rated it really liked it
Just finished reading for the 3rd or 4th time, this time with my partner. It's a different experience reading Tepper's works out loud. Her sermons about religion and philosophy have always seemed to stretch out much longer than necessary, but they do this even more so when you have to speak through all the words. Kris was distracted and annoyed by the strange names in the beginning, but got used to it, and was amazed by the book by the end.
This is a great example of Tepper's complexity. Multipl
Julia
Sep 15, 2014 Julia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The premise didn't particularly interest me, but I saw that this is the second book in the "Arbai Trilogy", of which "Grass" was the first... so I might read it.

(Does that sentence even make sense? Is it grammatical? I'm too tired to tell)
Bonniecco cco
Nov 08, 2015 Bonniecco cco rated it it was amazing
Tremendous. I am almost finished. It has a great story & underlying philosophy, wise comments - everything I expect from Tepper. At the moment I might call this her best ever. Of course, to be sure, I'd need to reread all the others. In particular, there are abundant ideas about male and female roles in various societies, but they just emerge as part of the story. There are a couple of twisted religions too, with lively and funny commentary about how they might have developed. A breezy comme ...more
Radh Handig
Aug 14, 2015 Radh Handig rated it it was ok

This is good stuff for readers who got a say on cultural imperialism and/or like plucky heroes/ fantasy. but for me, length of the book did not help discourse nor development of story--- making most of the parts dull.
Barry
Oct 08, 2015 Barry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
By the end I suppose I was happy I read it. But it took me 300 pages to get interested. That's not great. Maybe Tepper just isn't quite for me?
Karen
Oct 13, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
It's been a while since I've read a Tepper book, and it took me a good long while to get through this one. Not because there is anything wrong with Tepper but because her books are very dense. There's a lot to shift through and it's not a fast read. That being said, I didn't really care for the story or characters that much. But the ideas that were presented through the story really made me think a lot about religion especially but also quite appropriately the idea of the hero's journey (since t ...more
Jehnie
I liked this book in theory. I think Tepper addressed a lot of intriguing questions. But it needed a good editor to tighten the story and remove 150 pages; it dragged mercilessly.
Bria
Nov 10, 2010 Bria rated it it was amazing
Velvetink
Sep 27, 2014 Velvetink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
$2. found at the salvos
Linda
Sep 03, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
I really like Sheri Tepper. Her alternative worlds are realistic. She combines philosophy with action all in the context of "real life".
Cathy
May 13, 2015 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This second book in the Arbai trilogy does not disappoint. This may well be the summer of Sherri S. Tepper on my patio - if the warm summer sun ever happens. But I digress. Raising the Stones contains one of the best creation myths I have ever read - and that's saying something. On to the third in the series - Sideshow.
Stan Pedzick
Aug 05, 2014 Stan Pedzick rated it really liked it
Katie M.
Aug 05, 2011 Katie M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: feminists, mycologists, sf fans
Raising the Stones is an interesting and well-told piece of idea-heavy science fiction. I was particularly impressed by how Tepper brings together the diverse threads and many characters of her story at the end. The book started out rather slowly, but it built up momentum and tension.

Like most of Tepper's books, this one has strong feminist themes. It's a bit anvilicious at times and occasionally prone to overgeneralization, but valuable nonetheless.
  • The Summer Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #3)
  • A Woman's Liberation: A Choice of Futures by and About Women
  • Daughter of Elysium
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • The Face of the Waters
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • Ammonite
  • Vindication (Cyteen, #3)
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)
  • Dream Dancer (Kerrion Empire, #1)
  • Remnant Population
  • Migration (Species Imperative, #2)
20560
Sheri Stewart Tepper is a prolific American author of science fiction, horror and mystery novels; she is particularly known as a feminist science fiction writer, often with an ecofeminist slant.

Born near Littleton, Colorado, for most of her career (1962-1986) she worked for Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood, where she eventually became Executive Director. She has two children and is married to Gen
More about Sheri S. Tepper...

Arbai (3 books)