Start by marking “Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks” as Want to Read:
Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Sure, Thanksgiving is about pilgrims and history--and turkey, of course!--but most importantly, it's a holiday all about everything that we are thankful for. Cheerful, colorful illustrations accompany the simple text in this celebration of family, friends, and the holiday that brings them all together.
Published September 11th 2000 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks

Liliana Escamilla
We learn about Thanksgiving and all the historical events that happened that led to this holiday, but we also learn about the meaning of what we should give thanks for.

Teaches children that Thanksgiving is not just about food but about family and friends and being thankful for what we have.

Children can write up or draw picture of what they are thankful for in their lives.
In this book, the kids are thankful for...

mom and dad
everyone else in the family (shown with grandma and grandpa)
hot chocolate
dogs and cats
bright sunny days
special days like Thanksgiving
RC loves this beautifully illustrated, sweet narrative about everything children have to be thankful for. It is a useful reflection for the Thanksgiving holiday, reminding people the true meaning of the season. It is also a nice tool for showing children experiencing many different things. The illustrations are muted and the tone is gentle. It is a lovely tale that tells children there is so much in the world to be thankful for and there is no better time to do it than Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and I'm sure a lot of kids favorite holiday as well. There is no better time in the year to spend time with the people that you are most thankful for, and cherish in your life. This book has a very good meaning to it, and it is a perfect holiday story to share with friends and family. There is a good quote that I think could go along with this story and the quote is "Never take anything in life for Granted!" I think it fits this story perfectly, and th ...more
This book smells amazing, well only because it's brand new. But mmm. And it's very great to read to or with kids to teach them about being thankful. My favorite page was "I am thankful for all the dogs and cats that I know. It's fun when they let me pet them." AWW.
Meg McGregor
Children will be able to relate to the little one's reasons for being thankful in this cheery book.

Silly reasons like being thankful for purple lollypops, to personal reasons like being thankful for parents or teachers, are included.

Gena Lott
this is a fun little Thanksgiving book told in verse. A great way to remind children of the many things they have to be thankful for.
Apr 12, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
I am beefing up my children's Thanksgiving book collection. This is a sweet addition. I have quite a few books that explain how we came to celebrate Thanksgiving. This is a nice book about the actual celebrating. One line says, "But most of all, it is the day when we give thanks for all the things that make us feel happy." All kinds of things are named that a child might be thankful for. Grandma's hugs, friends, teachers,etc. A nice book for introducing thankfulness to the younger child.
Brooklyn Saplings
When I went to the library for a good Thanksgiving book for 2's, I meant to borrow Giving Thanks--which I couldn't find. This was perfect, though! It has simple language with pictures and people with whom Aurora May, Chloe and Mia were able to relate. Aurora May ended up wanting to read it over Thanksgiving Break a few times. Super cute, super fun... and most importantly, a book that goes beyond Thanksgiving and is about being appreciative everyday for everything you have.
Books For Kids Foundation
While Thanksgiving is a holiday that celebrates what America is all about, it is also, perhaps more importantly, a holiday about appreciating and realizing the things we are thankful for in life. This book will remind all of its readers that there is so much to be thankful for, from the littlest of things, like lollipops and pie, to the most important and friends!
A simple concept book about what to be thankful for at Thanksgiving. It could be useful in getting writing started on what to be thankful for at holiday time. It's simple and easy to understand, a quick read that could lead to more discussion of that age old topic that every teacher goes through at some point in November, what you're thankful for at Thanksgiving.
Hannah Morrison
Thanksgiving is a holiday that is rarely celebrated for the thanks part. I enjoyed this book because it names the simple things to be thankful for that so many teachers and students alike take for granted. Although I would not use this as a whole group read aloud because of the holiday theme, it would not be a bad book for children overall.
Lissie Moore
This book is a fun way to show younger grades, maybe 1st or 2nd grade, that people all over the world are thankful for different things! It would be fun to do this as a read aloud and then do a class activity where everyone says what they are thankful for and make a class picture book of everything the class is thankful for!
Maria Rizo-campos
I like the book because it is about family traditions and to be thankful for all the good things that we have. Also, it is an easy book that my students enjoyed reading. It has beautiful pictures and of course it is about the pilgrims and history.
Courtney Sharpton
This is a great book to show how different families celebrate an American tradition. This could be used to talk about how traditions have changed since the first thanksgiving. This could be used for a text to person connection.
This is a great book to read with younger grades and then do a fun activity where students write about what they are thankful for! You could even make a cute class book! :)
Nov 27, 2012 Daniel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 1-2
this book is good to read around the thanksgiving season. this book simple explains about the thanksgiving day. we surely need to be more thankful for what we have!
I liked that this was a little more than just a list of what you are thankful for. For each thing that they are thankful for, they also say why they are thankful for it.
Just right for the preschoolers. Not too long. Not dripping in history. It just is a great little book that tells why be thankful - family, friends, books.
A good general book about Thanksgiving and what a kid is thankful for.
a simple book. Early reader. The message of gratitude is right on
This is a GREAT book to talk about being grateful!
Cute story about giving for the holidays
demetrius burnley
demetrius burnley marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Margaret marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
  • Over the River: A Turkey's Tale
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • It's Thanksgiving
  • Franklin's Thanksgiving
  • Thanksgiving at the Tappletons'
  • Thanksgiving Mice!
  • A Turkey for Thanksgiving
  • Run, Turkey, Run!
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)
  • Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
  • Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
  • Gracias The Thanksgiving Turkey
There is more than one author with this name
More about Margaret Sutherland...
Valentines Are for Saying I Love You Developing the Gifted and Talented Young Learner Nothing But the Best The Fringe Of Heaven: A Novel Gifted and Talented in the Early Years: Practical Activities for Children Aged 3 to 6