Start by marking “Skaia” as Want to Read:
Skaia

Skaia

Skaia was only a child when his village was burned and his family killed by Julius Caesar's troops in their attempt to add all of Gaul to the Roman Empire. Sold as a slave in Rome, he adjusts to his life in the Suetonius family, with the help of other slaves and the friendship of his young master, Glaucus. When Glaucus leaves for his tour of Greece, marking his official ...more
Published by SL Publishing Group (first published May 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Skaia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skaia

Captive Prince by C.S. PacatDuck! by Kim DareBloodraven by P.L. NunnCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatConcubine by Jill Knowles
Best Gay Slaves
67th out of 238 books — 888 voters
The Gladiator's Master by Fae SutherlandMark of the Gladiator by Heidi BelleauSovereign's Gladiator by Jez MorrowHouse of Simeon by D.J. ManlyThe Left Hand of Calvus by L.A. Witt
Gay Historical Fiction About Ancient Rome
6th out of 50 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma Sea
Jun 01, 2012 Emma Sea rated it it was amazing
Loved it and devoured in short order. I'm not usually a fan for soap-operas, and essentially this is what this book is: we follow the MC through many years of his life. However, a mix of excellent supporting characters, vivid historical detail, developing love, uber-possessiveness, and hot dub-con made this a winner.

So well-written I cried. Twice. Lots.
Ery
Mar 24, 2012 Ery rated it really liked it
I rather enjoyed this book. It drew me in from the beginning, and there was little I could do but go along for the ride.

Skaia is a slave boy that refuses to accept that as his fate. While he submits, he always finds little ways to rebel. The author was very talented at capturing my heart, putting it through the ringer, and starting all over again.

This is a very candid story - and I didn't see warnings in the summary (other than a mention of slavery), so here they are. There is slavery. There is
Eve
Aug 27, 2016 Eve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-or-noncon
Extremely long and extremely satisfying. The characters are all depicted with depth. The slavery is brutal and some of the psychological abuse is even worse than the noncon, but this was in the end something of a love story. Same author wrote Collateral Damage.
Yblees
Mar 22, 2013 Yblees rated it really liked it
An excellent read. The reason I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 is that I don't quite trust myself to rate it so soon after finishing the book.

Random thoughts.
There seems to be some genre-slip happening as the story progressed. I found it a little disconcerting to be reading historical slavery themed M/M, and suddenly finding myself confronted with recognizable contemporary BDSM-genre practices and archetypes.
I found myself questioning if Thaddeus' way of thinking was too anachronistically m
Judy
Mar 03, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
As another reviewer of "Skaia" stated this book is really a soap opera set in the age of the Roman empire. The book was long, basically focusing on one multi-generational Roman family during the time of Julius Caesar, Marc Anthony and the slow collapse of the Roman empire where having slaves was accepted, even normal in the wealthier households. The stars of this book were Skaia (slave) and Thaddeus (master of the household).

I loved reading this tale and didn't want it to end. In fact, there is
Sheziss
Abandoned on page 100.

I felt sick. I don't read to feel sick. I like to suffer, but not to REALLY suffer. So NO.
Allie
Feb 13, 2012 Allie rated it it was amazing
I am currently reading this and am so embroiled in the goings on that I don't want it to ever end. It's a long book (which I LOVE) and you get the chance to really get involved in all the characters' lives. The main character is called Skaia. He was bought, at age 9, by a Roman named Thaddeus to give to his 7 year old son, Glaucus. Glaucus is supposed to use Skaia as a friend but, primarily, as a slave. And, as he grows, he is allowed to use Skaia in any which way he chooses including as a ...more
Eed99
Oct 06, 2012 Eed99 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. There are some very dark moments, but then slavery is rather dark.

I liked the way the characters grew in this story-I think if not for the growth of Thaddeus the love aspect would have been hard to swallow, but his own personal growth made it more believable.

One aspect I really loved as well were the various, well developed secondary characters.

The story is long, and does involve some non con moments, but then it is set in ancient Rome where slavery existed had bui
PaperMoon
Jul 16, 2016 PaperMoon rated it really liked it
A very long read set in ancient Rome as a young slave boy grows up serving an upcoming Senatorial family. Inevitably, his red-haired beauty attracts the attentions of several generations of the same family .... and of course other more nasty and vicious Roman sorts. This not a regular M-M romance read, given the prevailing Roman sentiment / belief systems regarding master-slave relations. However, the author does give us the M-M action along with some brutality and cruelty. The book reminds me ...more
Scott M.
Jun 14, 2013 Scott M. rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story, and thought the author did a commendable job of getting into the mindset of masters and slaves in ancient times. Is it historically accurate? No. Definitely not. The author's knowledge or research into the time period seems largely drawn from the television series, "Rome," by HBO. I say this with confidence because many of that show's historical errors are repeated in Skaia. However, it still makes for a quick, enjoyable read with some of the best characterizations ...more
Gisuris
Jul 14, 2015 Gisuris rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Word of warning:

Heavily romanticised depiction of slavery, paper thin characters, an MC who reads as clinically retarded and cries every other page, and a "kind" master who starts developing feelings for the slave in between bouts of raping/beating the shit out of him.

I'm obviously an idiot, because the blurb alone should have told me this was not going to be sexual slavery Spartacus, but rather some absurd roman version of Okane Ga Nai. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, you really shoul
Selen
Sep 25, 2016 Selen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: slave-fic
This was a wonderful slavefic. It depicts the ancient Roman society beautifully and Ayden Sadari is a very gifted writer. This was very quality writing.
Natalie
Jul 10, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining read, sexy, realistic (for the time period) and a total must read for m/m bdsm or romance genre book lovers.

I may read it again!
Lana
Lana rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Samantha Spencer
Samantha Spencer rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
kathyblue
kathyblue rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Roxie
Roxie rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
WinterOrchid
WinterOrchid rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Caroline
Caroline rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2015
Pamela
May 18, 2011 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the book very much!
kitsune_16
kitsune_16 rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
Malkamutzunka
Malkamutzunka rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
S.Y.
S.Y. rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Mackenzie
Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
MJ
MJ rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2016
Rosei Constance Rothee
Rosei Constance Rothee rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Key Oz
Key Oz rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Soul
Soul rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Helle
Helle rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Ghost and the Darkness Volume 2  (Fallocaust, #3)
  • Nicholi's Vengeance
  • Schadenfreude
  • Falling Angels
  • Dead to the World (Water Lovers of Sirilon #3)
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • Rounding Third
  • Tentacles for the Brides Bouquet
  • Tribute
  • Want Me
  • The Soldier of Raetia (Valerian's Legion, #1)
  • Waiting in the Throes
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • 跪いて靴にキスを [Hizamazuite Kutsu ni Kiss wo] [Kneel Down and Kiss my Boots] (星の館 [Hoshi no Yakata], #1)
  • Pet to the Tentacle Monsters!
  • The Lonely War
  • Breakdown Motel Part 2
Ayden's interest in slash began with Mary Renault's The Persian Boy. She began writing in various 'Alexander fan-fic' communities based more-or-less on movie-verse. (Which, unfortunately, did not conform closely to actual history in its dealings with Bagoas, her favorite character...)

Historical settings are still her favorite - times and civilizations where notions of heterosexual and homosexual d
More about Ayden Sadari...