Start by marking “One Last Summer” as Want to Read:
One Last Summer

One Last Summer

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  19 reviews
'Shouldering the rifles I had given them, the men went walking back down the line against a tide of refugees, heading towards the town and the Russian army. Only Sascha remained. As I looked back, his face became blurred by the falling snowflakes and my tears.'

One Last Summer is the captivating new novel from bestselling author Catrin Collier. From its opening lines, the m
Published 2007 by Orion Books

To ask other readers questions about One Last Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Last Summer

Bernadette Robinson
This is the first book I've read by this Author and if her other books are as good then I'm in for a treat reading the back catalogue and read them I will.

I can thoroughly recommend this book and as others have said, it's a change reading a book from a mostly German/East Prussian POV based on WWII, it shows us how not all Germans were as supportive of Hitler and his views as he might have liked us to believe. Part based on factual events and real people this book weaves a great fictional story s
Violeta
Απίστευτο βιβλίο δεν το βαρέθηκα καθόλου.Σε κρατάει από την αρχή μέχρι το τέλος.
Sam Still Reading
Dec 10, 2008 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who liked The Bronze Horseman
Wow! What a departure from Ms Collier's other books- one her publisher 'found in a drawer'. Please keep looking!
This is more of a serious novel compared to her Welsh series. Charlotte von Danski is a young German woman during World War II and we follow her both in current time and going back through her diary. This book is interesting because of the German perspective on the war and the current/1940's storyline. You'll be kept up reading this one!
Ria
An historical novel with a difference, set partly during WWII and partly in different parts of modern day USA and Europe its the story of Charlotte Von Datski and her family and the atrocities they all suffered as Germans at the hands of the invading Russian army.
Part historical and part romance this a no holds barred look into the diary of Charlotte which she kept during the war and prompted by ill health she wishes to relive her past just for one last time in the company of her granddaughter L
Eftychia
Ένα συγκλονιστικό βιβλίο από απόψη περιγραφών ιδιαίτερα για τη φρίκη του πολέμου και ένα εξαιρετικό βιβλίο ως προς την τεχνική γραψίματος, παράθεσης και παρουσίασης τον γεγονότων ημερολογιακά. Στο είδος του δεν έχω διαβάσει άλλο αλλά είναι τρομερό!
Rachel Zylstra
I don't understand why this book isn't more known. I wish I could give it ten stars. When it comes to historical and romance WWII novels, I prefer reading from the Russian side. (The Bronze Horseman influence, I'm guessing?) This is the second I have read from a German stance. (The first being 'Skeletons At The Feast') I cried many times throughout the extracts of Charlotte's diary. There is so much sadness but also love and happiness, although it is short-lived. It's stories like these that mak ...more
Jerom
Me ha resultado una lectura muy interesante.

Resulta curioso ver como afecto la Segunda Guerra Mundial a la clase alta prusiana y como se fueron posicionando frente a lo que estaba sucediendo.

Tal vez en su último cuarto se desinfla e intenta emocionar y sorprender de modo muy forzado.

Libro de lectura lenta y con momentos duros.

Para mi gusto recomendable.
Inma Muñoz
Aunque me he leído muchos libros sobre la 2ª guerra mundial y el nazismo, este es diferente porque está contado desde el punto de vista de una aristócrata alemana (de la antigua Prusia Oriental). Además no se centra en el problema judío, sino en la ofensiva entre Alemania y Rusia.
Es una historia de amor y pérdidas ...
M0481
A sad and tragc love story. After all not all stories have a happily ever after.
Sue
what a wonderful moving book. so unusual to read a book about the second world war from a Russian view point and the romance is so heart tearing.
Gill Catron
excellent subject showing the German side of the 2nd World Ware from a young German girl's perspective. It was quite entralling at the political world changes so rapidly in a young girl's life, changing her physically and emotionally. It then showed the events affecting her family relationships well into her later life and a great insight in how some older Germans may have felt about the events. I loved the strength of the main character and quite a page turner.
Julie
This is a fabulous read. I was hooked from page 1 and just couldn't put it down - it was so bad I was driving to school to collect the kids early so I'd have more time to sit in the car and read! Set in the 2nd world war, an 18 year old wealthy girl starts a diary which tells the story of her life from then to old age. She is loyal to Hitler, unaware of the atrocities which will follow. The book toggles between her diary pages and her current old age.
Chanpreet
This book is not for the faint at heart. It is a work of fiction that is based partially on real events related to the author's family during World War II, a very dark time in the history of the world and mankind. There were many things in this book I read that I found hard to believe, but really happened. Catrin Collier has done a great job with this book and doing justice to the material. It was extremely touching. Well done Ms.Collier!
Ida
This book is absolutely amazing, is one of the best books I have ever read! I have read many ww2 historical fiction books and this one is without a doubt my favourite! I don't really cry to movies or books but with this one I did! It's about a young German girls life thought the 2nd world war! My favourite detail about this book is that she dosent get along with her sons and that its seen from a German perspective! X
Nicole
I AM FINALLY DONE WITH THIS.

I just wished the book wasn't as draggy as it was in the beginning because I only couldn't put it down halfway through the book. but then again, if it wasn't draggy, the story and all the little details would not fit together perfectly.

I just wish this book was more recognised. it really is worth the read. and I thank a particular someone who gave it to me as a birthday gift :)
Ana Azofeifa
Una hermosa historia de amor dentro de un contexto histórico violento y desgarrante. Frase para recordar: "Es duro creer en una ideología que destruye tu vida"
Becky Mears
this was much better that the cover would suggest! I only took it out of the Library as it was set in East Prussia, now Poland, near to Gdansk where we are off to tomorrow.
Stella Kiner
EVERYONE should read this book! Unbelievable story of love, family, struggle, and life in general.
Mayte Sánchez
Una emocionante y emotiva novela.
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
namericanwordcat
namericanwordcat marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Mariakok
Mariakok marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Daniela Montero
Daniela Montero marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • The Poppy Factory
  • Surrounded by Water
  • War Crimes For The Home
  • The Reckoning
  • Το σεντούκι με τις πέντε κλειδαριές
  • Melocotones helados
  • 'Ερωτας πόλεμος
  • The Strange Fate of Kitty Easton
  • Mr Mac and Me
  • Beyond Love
  • Valentina (Valentina, #1)
  • The Diamond Ring (Unbreakable Trilogy, #3)
  • The Birdcage: A Novel
  • Cauldstane
  • Un bon petit diable
  • Secret Somethings
  • The Beacon
Catrin Collier is Wales' most prolific and well-known author of historical, romantic fictions. The daughter of a Prussian refugee and Welsh father, she grew up in Pontypridd. She has written 19 novels for Orion. Her first historical novel Hearts of Gold, was filmed as a mini-series by the BBC in 2003. She lives with her family on the Gower Peninsula, near Swansea. She also writes crime fiction und ...more
More about Catrin Collier...
Magda's Daughter Hearts of Gold Black-eyed Devils Swansea Girls Homecoming