Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “One Last Summer” as Want to Read:
One Last Summer
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

One Last Summer

by
4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  199 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
'Shouldering the rifles I had given them, the men went walking back down the line against a tide of refugees, heading towards the town and the Russian army. Only Sascha remained. As I looked back, his face became blurred by the falling snowflakes and my tears.'

One Last Summer is the captivating new novel from bestselling author Catrin Collier. From its opening lines, the m
...more
Paperback, 324 pages
Published 2007 by Orion Books
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about One Last Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Last Summer

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Eva Maraki
Jun 18, 2016 Eva Maraki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"ΕΝΑ ΤΕΛΕΥΤΑΙΟ ΚΑΛΟΚΑΙΡΙ" ΤΗΣ Κ.ΚΟΛΛΙΕΡ

Τι να παραθέσει κανείς γι'αυτό το εκπληκτικό μυθιστόρημα που συντάραξε το ειναι μου.Μίλησε βαθια στην ψυχή μου με την αντιπολεμική του κραυγή,την διεισδυτική ψυχογράφηση των ηρωων του&την πλοκή αμείωτης έντασης που συναρπάζει από την πρώτη ως την τελευταία σελίδα του.Ένα βιβλίο με ιστορικές αναφορες στον Β παγκοσμιο πολεμο με κυριο σημειο αναφορας τη διαμαχη Γερμανιας -Ρωσιας,στην Πολωνια.
Σαρλοττε. Μια γυναικα-συμβολο για τον ανθρωπισμο της. Δυναμικη,
...more
Ioanna Bouna
Aug 23, 2016 Ioanna Bouna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ενα υπεροχο απολαυστικο βιβλιο ..αγαπημενη περιοδος για μενα ο β παγκοσμιος και εδω βλεπουμε τον πολεμο απο την πλευρα των γερμανων πολιτων χωρις φυσικα να λειπει και το αισθηματακι ...
Bernadette Robinson
This is the first book I've read by this Author and if her other books are as good then I'm in for a treat reading the back catalogue and read them I will.

I can thoroughly recommend this book and as others have said, it's a change reading a book from a mostly German/East Prussian POV based on WWII, it shows us how not all Germans were as supportive of Hitler and his views as he might have liked us to believe. Part based on factual events and real people this book weaves a great fictional story s
...more
Eftychia
Nov 06, 2013 Eftychia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ένα συγκλονιστικό βιβλίο από απόψη περιγραφών ιδιαίτερα για τη φρίκη του πολέμου και ένα εξαιρετικό βιβλίο ως προς την τεχνική γραψίματος, παράθεσης και παρουσίασης τον γεγονότων ημερολογιακά. Στο είδος του δεν έχω διαβάσει άλλο αλλά είναι τρομερό!
Violeta
Apr 23, 2014 Violeta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Απίστευτο βιβλίο δεν το βαρέθηκα καθόλου.Σε κρατάει από την αρχή μέχρι το τέλος.
rinos
Nov 26, 2016 rinos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Tak więc trwają wiara, nadzieja, miłość – te trzy:
Z nich zaś największa jest miłość."


Po przeczytaniu trylogii "Jeździec miedziany", szukałam książki o zbliżonej tematyce tj. II wojny światowej i losów ludzi, którym przyszło żyć w tamtych czasach. Recenzje na LC naprowadziły mnie na "Ostatnie lato" C. Collier.

Główną bohaterką jest Charlotte von Datski, typowa przedstawicielka szlachty pruskiej tamtego okresu. Poznajemy ją w wieku 18 lat, gdy w sierpniu 1939 roku wraz z innymi członkami orkiest
...more
Maria
Nov 11, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Καταπληκτικό βιβλίο, αν εξαιρέσεις ορισμένα κομμάτια όπου οι μακροσκελείς διάλογοι είναι κουραστικοί.
Rachel Zylstra
Jun 11, 2011 Rachel Zylstra rated it it was amazing
I don't understand why this book isn't more known. I wish I could give it ten stars. When it comes to historical and romance WWII novels, I prefer reading from the Russian side. (The Bronze Horseman influence, I'm guessing?) This is the second I have read from a German stance. (The first being 'Skeletons At The Feast') I cried many times throughout the extracts of Charlotte's diary. There is so much sadness but also love and happiness, although it is short-lived. It's stories like these that mak ...more
Ria
Jan 19, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An historical novel with a difference, set partly during WWII and partly in different parts of modern day USA and Europe its the story of Charlotte Von Datski and her family and the atrocities they all suffered as Germans at the hands of the invading Russian army.
Part historical and part romance this a no holds barred look into the diary of Charlotte which she kept during the war and prompted by ill health she wishes to relive her past just for one last time in the company of her granddaughter L
...more
Chanpreet
Oct 03, 2011 Chanpreet rated it really liked it
This book is not for the faint at heart. It is a work of fiction that is based partially on real events related to the author's family during World War II, a very dark time in the history of the world and mankind. There were many things in this book I read that I found hard to believe, but really happened. Catrin Collier has done a great job with this book and doing justice to the material. It was extremely touching. Well done Ms.Collier!
Ida
Feb 16, 2013 Ida rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely amazing, is one of the best books I have ever read! I have read many ww2 historical fiction books and this one is without a doubt my favourite! I don't really cry to movies or books but with this one I did! It's about a young German girls life thought the 2nd world war! My favourite detail about this book is that she dosent get along with her sons and that its seen from a German perspective! X
Sam Still Reading
Dec 10, 2008 Sam Still Reading rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who liked The Bronze Horseman
Wow! What a departure from Ms Collier's other books- one her publisher 'found in a drawer'. Please keep looking!
This is more of a serious novel compared to her Welsh series. Charlotte von Danski is a young German woman during World War II and we follow her both in current time and going back through her diary. This book is interesting because of the German perspective on the war and the current/1940's storyline. You'll be kept up reading this one!
Julie
Nov 02, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-words-wine
This is a fabulous read. I was hooked from page 1 and just couldn't put it down - it was so bad I was driving to school to collect the kids early so I'd have more time to sit in the car and read! Set in the 2nd world war, an 18 year old wealthy girl starts a diary which tells the story of her life from then to old age. She is loyal to Hitler, unaware of the atrocities which will follow. The book toggles between her diary pages and her current old age.
Gill Catron
Jul 24, 2014 Gill Catron rated it it was amazing
excellent subject showing the German side of the 2nd World Ware from a young German girl's perspective. It was quite entralling at the political world changes so rapidly in a young girl's life, changing her physically and emotionally. It then showed the events affecting her family relationships well into her later life and a great insight in how some older Germans may have felt about the events. I loved the strength of the main character and quite a page turner.
Evi Kosta
Oct 31, 2015 Evi Kosta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best and touching books I've read! I'm only 15, but I've visited the Dachau concentration camp 4 years ago and now reading this book, made my realise how much the people who lived in the '40s must've suffered, not only during the war but decades after. Again, such an amazing and touching book, everyone should read. It makes me sad that things like the events described in the book set mainly 70-80 years ago, are still happening in the Middle East :( !
Nicole
Dec 14, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
I AM FINALLY DONE WITH THIS.

I just wished the book wasn't as draggy as it was in the beginning because I only couldn't put it down halfway through the book. but then again, if it wasn't draggy, the story and all the little details would not fit together perfectly.

I just wish this book was more recognised. it really is worth the read. and I thank a particular someone who gave it to me as a birthday gift :)
Jerom
Mar 25, 2014 Jerom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha resultado una lectura muy interesante.

Resulta curioso ver como afecto la Segunda Guerra Mundial a la clase alta prusiana y como se fueron posicionando frente a lo que estaba sucediendo.

Tal vez en su último cuarto se desinfla e intenta emocionar y sorprender de modo muy forzado.

Libro de lectura lenta y con momentos duros.

Para mi gusto recomendable.
Inma Muñoz
Feb 06, 2014 Inma Muñoz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terminados
Aunque me he leído muchos libros sobre la 2ª guerra mundial y el nazismo, este es diferente porque está contado desde el punto de vista de una aristócrata alemana (de la antigua Prusia Oriental). Además no se centra en el problema judío, sino en la ofensiva entre Alemania y Rusia.
Es una historia de amor y pérdidas ...
Roula
Nov 06, 2015 Roula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is really nice but when you have read the BRONZE HORSEMAN nothing is that good as this! Different story from the German aspect of fact during WW2.

Όμορφο βιβλίο, γεμάτο εικόνες και με ωμή την απεικόνιση της εποχής. Το πρώτο μέρος είναι πιο αργό αλλά από το δεύτερο μισό και πίσω κρατάει αμείωτο το ενδιαφέρον.
Sue
Mar 31, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a wonderful moving book. so unusual to read a book about the second world war from a Russian view point and the romance is so heart tearing.
Becky Mears
Sep 22, 2013 Becky Mears rated it liked it
this was much better that the cover would suggest! I only took it out of the Library as it was set in East Prussia, now Poland, near to Gdansk where we are off to tomorrow.
Ana Azofeifa
Nov 15, 2014 Ana Azofeifa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una hermosa historia de amor dentro de un contexto histórico violento y desgarrante. Frase para recordar: "Es duro creer en una ideología que destruye tu vida"
Coconuttie
Coconuttie rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Kimberley Edwards
Kimberley Edwards rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Laura Lupo
Laura Lupo rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2014
Geoffrey Clarke
Geoffrey Clarke rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Julie Thornton
Julie Thornton rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
Bagia
Bagia rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • War Crimes For The Home
  • The Poppy Factory
  • The Paris Secret
  • The Reckoning (John Madden, #4)
  • 'Ερωτας πόλεμος
  • Thirteen Years Later (The Danilov Quintet,  #2)
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • The Misadventures of a Playground Mother
  • Valentina (Valentina, #1)
  • The Diamond Ring (Unbreakable Trilogy, #3)
  • Secret Somethings
  • Serving Pleasure (Pleasure Series, #2)
  • The Strange Fate of Kitty Easton
  • The Harlot Countess (Wicked Deceptions, #2)
  • The Happy Hour Choir
  • Cauldstane
  • The Beacon
38502
Catrin Collier is Wales' most prolific and well-known author of historical, romantic fictions. The daughter of a Prussian refugee and Welsh father, she grew up in Pontypridd. She has written 19 novels for Orion. Her first historical novel Hearts of Gold, was filmed as a mini-series by the BBC in 2003. She lives with her family on the Gower Peninsula, near Swansea. She also writes crime fiction und ...more
More about Catrin Collier...

Share This Book