Start by marking “Marianne, the Magus, and the Manticore (Marianne, #1)” as Want to Read:
Marianne, the Magus, and the Manticore (Marianne, #1)

Marianne, the Magus, and the Manticore (Marianne #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Legacy Of Magic — Marianne was born to luxury in the tiny nation of Alphenlicht, nestled in the mountains between Turkey and Iraq. The her parents died, leaving control of their fortune to the older brother she fears. Struggling to make her way as a student in America, Alphenlicht seems as unreal as a fairy tale, her childhood there as distant as a dream...

... Until the Ma
Published October 1st 1988 by Ace Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Marianne, the Magus, and the Manticore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marianne, the Magus, and the Manticore

I read and reread this book in my college years, largely for the settings, which are beautifully drawn. Marianne's refurbishment-in-process flat; the big country house of the weekend party; Madame's world of embassy, émigrés, visas and quotas; Marianne's world with the library, the manticore, the posters... Each setting has its own mood, its own feel - I could recognise any one of them were I to meet it in real life.

But twenty years ago I felt, and I still feel on rereading now, that this book d
Beautifully written. Magical, but I'm docking it one star for the abrupt ending. In fact, it doesn't so much end as just stop.
Mar 08, 2008 Jessica rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only die-hard Tepper fans
Shelves: fantasy-books
Hard to believe! A Sherrie Tepper book I didn't like. This book starts you off with some of her very well written characters that hook you in. A heroine cowed by her truly evil, older stepbrother. A handsome Prime Minister with a totally charming and supportive sister. Then the the plot just gets twisted up and with seemingly no end in sight, at the end of this first book in a trilogy.
Because I love her books, I am going to try to have faith that the second book is better than the first.
Julie Davis
When Marianne's parents died, leaving control of their fortune to her feared older brother, she struggled to make her way as a student in America - and her old home began to seem as unreal as a fairy tale, her childhood there as distant as a dream. Until the Magus came to claim her, and the Black Madame to destroy her, and the Manticore to hunt her down through the streets of another world - for there is magic in Marianne's blood, and magic in her soul. And in a battle fought in an everchanging
this is something i wrote about all three of the marianne books:

they are very different from tepper's other books. in the first book, we meet marianne who has a troubled relationship with her stepbrother and is drawn into the political conflict between two small countries nestled between the then USSR, turkey, and iraq--she has a magical role to play and magic is being used against her to prevent her from playing it. in the second, she goes back and tries to alter history so that the things that
V. Briceland
As might be intuited by their playful alliterative titles, Sheri S. Tepper's trilogy of Marianne books—Marianne, the Magus, and the Manticore, followed by Marianne, the Madame, and the Momentary Gods and Marianne, the Matchbox, and the Malachite Mouse—are light-hearted caprices. Written early in her career, they're also the shortest of Tepper's output.

Yet they're not slight in content. Tepper's heroine becomes trapped in a series of alternate, fantasy universes, each with their own oddball and i
Were the Angel of the Lord to appear and say to me: ‘The wrath of the Lord waxes great against the works of American fantasy authors of the second half of the 20th century, and before a night has passed and a day it is His will that they be destroyed utterly, and expunged from the memory of Mankind, as though they had never been,’ then, perhaps I might say, at first: ‘Bully for You, Lord.’ But then I think I would reconsider, and I would say: ‘Please, might the Marianne books be spared?’ And wer ...more
My heartfelt thanks to the House of SF (a now closed Ottawa bookstore) for recommending this to me many years ago. There are three short novels in this series, this one being the first. Track these down and enjoy, they are unlike anything I have ever read.
If I can steal the House of SF's description, "Wonderfully weird fantasy".
Initially, I was a bit unsure about this book, but as time went on, I got a firmer grasp on the plot, characters, and setting. I'm not entirely sure what I expected going in, and I don't think it matched my expectations, but it's still a good book.
I LOVE this series of books. I first read them as a kid, and re-read them a few years ago. They were still awesome.
I loved this book - and this trilogy, it's what hooked me into Tepper in the first place.
MB (What she read)
Read this a loooooong time ago and was finally able to find it to re-read.
Arlene Allen
For awhile Tepper was my absolute favorite author on earth.
Chimera to the rescue
Emma marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Garnnystan marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Bradley Parks
Bradley Parks marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Kate is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2015
Jennifer Nona
Jennifer Nona marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Jorg marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
  • Days of Grass
  • Quester's Endgame (Diadem, #9)
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • The Broken Citadel
  • Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light
  • Figures of Earth
  • The Grey Horse
  • Strange Toys
  • White Jenna (Great Alta, #2)
  • The Zanzibar Cat
  • The Forestwife Trilogy
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • Stealers' Sky (Thieves' World, #12)
  • Wolf's Brother (Reindeer People, #2)
Sheri Stewart Tepper is a prolific American author of science fiction, horror and mystery novels; she is particularly known as a feminist science fiction writer, often with an ecofeminist slant.

Born near Littleton, Colorado, for most of her career (1962-1986) she worked for Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood, where she eventually became Executive Director. She has two children and is married to Gen
More about Sheri S. Tepper...

Marianne (3 books)
  • Marianne, the Madame, and the Momentary Gods (Marianne, #2)
  • Marianne, the Matchbox and the Malachite Mouse (Marianne, #3)

“Often we wish to be exorcised of demons we ourselves have allowed house room.” 1 likes