Death by Chocolate

Death by Chocolate (Death by Chocolate #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  60 reviews
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR
First book in the Death by Chocolate series

Lindsay loves chocolate. It tastes good, it makes her feel good, it never cheats on her like her almost-ex-husband. It's her best friend. But someone wants her dead and uses her weak spot—chocolate—to try to murder her.

Lindsay's only secret is the recipe for her chocolate chip cookies, but she is surr...more
Published February 1st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Death by Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Chocolate

Shellys♥ Journal
I'd give this book a solid 3.5. It was a short book - 189 pages on my nookcolor. A nice little mystery between some heavier reads.

Lindsay is a chocolatier. She owns a shop "Death by Chocolate". On the edge of divorce, she finds her soon to be ex wants her back. At the same time, something mysterious is up with her best friend, neighbor, co-worker Paula - something almost criminal. Can Lindsay help while side stepping her own pesky husband? Is she putting herself in danger?

Kind of the same lines...more
Brenda Kirton
I loved this book. I came across it by accident and bought it because of the title. The characters were interesting and fun, without being the cookie cutter typical ones seen in cosy mysteries everywhere. yes there were some hair-brained schemes but they fit with the character doing them. The mystery was good and I am not saying any more about that or I will give away hints by accident. It is three o'clock in the morning and I only meant to read until I got sleepy, not read the entire book in on...more
Tabi34
This was a fun book. I wasn't sure at first if I would like it, but the characters grew on me. Paula - a single mom with a hidden past and her 2-year-old son Zach. Lindsey who owns a bakery/breakfast/lunch place and loves chocolate - can't resist it. Fred, the mysterious computer geek neighbor. And some other interesting characters - Adam Trent who in my opinion is hot. He's a detective. Rick the soon-to-be ex-husband of Lindsey. I root for him to get pummeled.

Paula has a past that includes jum...more
Nani
How well do you really know your closest friends and neighbors? How good a friend are you? Solid friendships don’t require every detail of someone’s past, but not knowing can sure put you in a dangerous situation if that untold past catches up. I liked the story of friends and trust and the main action plot was believable and just fiction enough to keep me guessing and surprised in the earlier chapters of the book.

I totally enjoyed this book! Told in first person, Death by Chocolate is an intens...more
Denise Zendel
I borrowed this e-book from a friend because I liked the cover (a beautiful dark chocolate cake with a white “poison” skull on it). For the first few chapters, I thought, “Ugh, why did I get this? This woman is sadly in need of a backbone. Delete, delete, delete.” Being as I was on the treadmill at the time, however, I stuck with it, and to my surprise, the plot really grew on me.

The main character, Lindsay, starts out as a babbling, spineless idiot, but by the end of the book, she gets a spine,...more
Karla
This was an interesting mystery and I enjoyed reading it. Lindsay, owner of the store "Death by Chocolate", tries to help her employee/best friend, Paula, when Paula's secret past comes back to haunt her. Planted devices, a poisoning, a kidnapping and being spied on will make anyone nervous; however, Lindsay will do whatever she needs to do to save her friend, even if it means breaking the law or becoming the bait.
Linda
A fun mystery. I mistakenly read book 2 in the series first, so this one just let me know more about the characters' backgrounds. Besides the fact that Lindsay far too freely tends to offer herself as bait to unsavory characters, these books are still good. And I really like the relationship between Lindsay and Trent. On to book 3!
Marti
This book sounds as if it should include recipes for chocolate concoctions--it doesn't It starts out slow, but we find that Lindley Powell's employee Paula Walter actually killed her abusive husband and fled with their infant son. She is trying to remain anonymous, but there is a man who is searching them out. Lindley is adopted by an 18 pound stray cat, King Henry, who helps protect her as well as a helpful and talented neighbor, Tom. Lindley is in the process of being divorced from Rick, who k...more
Clare
Fun, quick read. I liked the main character and although some of it was not unexpected, there were some quirky side characters that were fun to read about (King Henry, Fred) and enough unanswered questions that I want to read the next in the series.
Adrienne Testa
Lindsay Powell is funny and faces life head on, even if she does get in over her head. This is a funny story with twist and turns that makes you turn the pages. It becomes apparent who the killer is half way through but that doesn't stop the pages from turning. Lindsay best friend Paula has secrets that could get them both killed. Paula is use to running and hiding to protect her son. Rick, Lindsay's soon to be ex husband wants her back after breaking up their marriage for another woman. Rick do...more
Joyce Rawlins
Lindsay has a crazy husband who doesn,t want to get divorced, even though he cheats on his wife. Read this book and find out who tries to kill her. Good book and has some humor.
Mary
At least 2 of the characters have secret pasts, the ending answers some but not all of the questions. Guess I'll have to read the next book in the series. Quick summer read!
Michelle
This was a fun mystery. It contains mysteries within the main mystery. We may have uncovered Paula's mysterious past in this book but just who is Fred? I can't wait to read the next one.
Yvonne
Absolutely Loved this book!! Lindsay and her crazy nosiness, and stubbornness. When Lindsay's neighbor has so many secrets, and keeps her house locked up like Fort Knox, she is bound and determined to find out what's going on. Then all the craziness begins. Someone is spying on her neighbor Paula. A man has disappeared, and the police think he was murdered, by none other than Paula herself. With the help of their other neighbor friend Fred who seems to have a few secrets of his own, Henry her st...more
Nannette
I discovered Sally. Berneathy when I read one of her other series and fell in love with her humorous. This book didn't. disappoint me. Humorous suspense and chocolate. Who could. go wrong. And cant wait to try the recipes.
Margie
May 30, 2014 Margie added it
Good light reading mystery - and it even has the chocolate recipes in the back of the book that are mentioned in the story.
Caryn Kravitz
Lite reading, mystery, cooking!
The book includes some cholocolate recipes at the end!
Phyl
Very much enjoyed this first in series... Recommend.
Amy
I love this book. I needed something light and fun to read and this was my go to. I rarely re-read but I loved this book so much the first time, it was a no brainer. Plus I need to read the 4th so I decided to start the series over.

I love all the characters. The seem real to me. Lindsay, Trent, Fred, Paula, and Zach. If my ex-husband was like Rick, I would want to shot him too.

The antics and banter are the best. I can't wait to re-read them all and enjoy the 4th!

Sue Ross
Death by Chocolate is the first book by Sally Bernethy. It's about a chocoholic who is fortunate enough to bake with it for a living. When her best friend is stalked, Lindsey steps both feet in and tries to find the person who is doing the stalking. What ensues is danger, intrigue, finding out her other neighbor isn't who he says he is...or is he? and lots of chocolate. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Diane Godbold
A fun little mystery, the main character Lindsey owns a chocolate shop, has been adopted by a cat that defends her, also has a soon-to-be-ex husband who now wants her back. In some ways she reminds me of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum. This is the first book in a series, will probably read more. Bonus - at the end of the book are the recipes for several chocolate goodies mentioned in the story.
Elizabeth Hiller
It pains me that books like this are being published and widely read. I forced myself to finish it only because it was a book club selection. Without going into every detail of what irks me about this book (I have wasted enough time already) I will summarize my gripes as follows: unsophisticated writing style, unoriginal plot and characters that failed to engage my interest.
Janine
This was ok but a bit strange in that there was no actual crime that was being investigated.
Llona Cunningham
What fun! I finished reading Death by Chocolate yesterday and I'm already looking for the next book in her series. Good characters with enough diversity to make them individually interesting; good story that kept me reading from beginning to end; good pace that kept me from getting bored in that 'in-between-the-beginning-and the-end' phase that are so hard to do.
Allison
Lindsey could be my "sister from another mister." I'm pretty sure we're related somewhere along the line. She's sassy, spunky and sometimes reacts before thinking or having a plan in place but she is also a friend til the end. She eats a tremendous amount of chocolate, which actually does almost kill her. Love the recipes in the back of the book too.
Katherine
If you're looking for serious literature this is not for you, if you want a light hearted book I would say give this a go.

A stray cat who attacks up to no good men, ex husbands you cheer against and lots of chocolate make for a light hearted mystery I enjoyed. The recipes at the end are a plus. I'm going to check out the next in this series for sure.
Gloria Harchar
What a delicious read! As the heroine's life spins out of control, I could really identify with her. I liked her from the start and as the story unraveled and she became more involved with the hero, I really feared for her even as I laughed at the humor. It was a fun mix of humor, suspense and romance!!
jenn
this was a fun, light book. i love a good mystery and this one delved into a unique idea of how well do you REALLY know your friends / neighbors? Despite the general premise - the book isn't too heavy and is a nice quick read.
deviantReads
Omg..another crazy twisted humor read and chocolate reading this book makes me crave cookies and brownies all the time. Great series to read but watch out for the chocolate munchies that will hit you while you are reading this book.
Sandra
Death by Chocolate was a surprise read that kept me turning the pages until I finished it in one setting. I must add this book isn't a romance, it's a mystery. I promise you won't want to put this book down.
  • Cupcakes, Lies, and Dead Guys (Annie Graceland Mystery, #1)
  • 52 Steps To Murder
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • Dying for Dinner Rolls (Chubby Chicks Club, #1)
  • Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries #1)
  • Angel Dance (Danny Logan Mystery, #1)
  • Drizzled with Death (Sugar Grove Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Cupcakes (A Lexy Baker Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Playing With Poison (Cue Ball Mysteries, #1)
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
  • Magic Mirror (Georgia Lee Maxwell, #1)
  • Innocent in Las Vegas (Tiffany Black Mytseries #1)
  • Killer in Crinolines
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • Laced with Poison (Sweet Nothings, #2)
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
The Ex Who Wouldn't Die (Charley's Ghost, #1) Murder, Lies and Chocolate The Great Chocolate Scam Chocolate Mousse Attack (Death by Chocolate) The Ex Who Glowed In The Dark (Charley's Ghost, #2)