Start by marking “Death by Chocolate” as Want to Read:
Death by Chocolate

Death by Chocolate (Death by Chocolate #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  510 ratings  ·  77 reviews
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR
First book in the Death by Chocolate series

Lindsay loves chocolate. It tastes good, it makes her feel good, it never cheats on her like her almost-ex-husband. It's her best friend. But someone wants her dead and uses her weak spot—chocolate—to try to murder her.

Lindsay's only secret is the recipe for her chocolate chip cookies, but she is surr
Published February 1st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Death by Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Chocolate

Murder, Lies and Chocolate by Sally BerneathyThe Deep End by Julie MulhernBack on the Market by L.A. FrazierDeath by Chocolate by Sally BerneathyNew Math is Murder by Jo-Ann Lamon Reccoppa
Best Cozy Mysteries Under 3 Dollars
4th out of 124 books — 212 voters
Helena Goes to Hollywood by CC DragonThink Murder by Cassidy SalemMurder in the Arboretum by Christa NardiA Killer Retreat by Tracy WeberMurder Strikes a Pose by Tracy Weber
Favorite Cozy Mystery
87th out of 112 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
I loooooove this book! M daughter told me I had to read it and I blew her off for months. When I finally read it I was screaming with laughter (Fred, you da man!) and that was all it took to get me hooked. I call in sick to work when I see Sallly Berneathy has a new book out so I can stay home and read.
Shellys♥ Journal
I'd give this book a solid 3.5. It was a short book - 189 pages on my nookcolor. A nice little mystery between some heavier reads.

Lindsay is a chocolatier. She owns a shop "Death by Chocolate". On the edge of divorce, she finds her soon to be ex wants her back. At the same time, something mysterious is up with her best friend, neighbor, co-worker Paula - something almost criminal. Can Lindsay help while side stepping her own pesky husband? Is she putting herself in danger?

Kind of the same lines
Ellen Parker
Loved it. The Plot leaves you wanting for more and makes me want to read faster so I can find out ;)
Kay (Brigidsmomma) Compton
I got this book confused with another one I thought I was reviewing instead. This was actually very good, and rather intense in places. The bad guy was quite a creep, and the protagonist and her friends were really well written and entirely likeable. The soon-to-be ex of the protagonist is also a real creep, and I loved how her cat helps her see what a jerk he is... Gotta love a mystery where the heroes are large male cats and nerdy computer jocks...
Katherine
No better way to go..chocolate

This is a very fun story. Great characters, interesting storyline, and that all infectious humor. At the end you even get a treat of recipes, several I plane on trying.
Yvonna
I will absolutely read more books by Sally Berneathy. Death by Chocolate had me laughing and apprehensive within the same minute. I knew that the ultimate outcome would be positive for the main characters, but the twists and turns to get there was a thrill of a ride.
Brenda Kirton
I loved this book. I came across it by accident and bought it because of the title. The characters were interesting and fun, without being the cookie cutter typical ones seen in cosy mysteries everywhere. yes there were some hair-brained schemes but they fit with the character doing them. The mystery was good and I am not saying any more about that or I will give away hints by accident. It is three o'clock in the morning and I only meant to read until I got sleepy, not read the entire book in on ...more
Lily
this was a book I couldn't put down

It pulls you in gets you angry with everyone and you hope for a happy ending and you get it. Enjoyed this one
Cynthia
*I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads* This was a fantastic book! It was one of those rare mysteries where you never felt bogged down by the situations in the book - it was a light and airy story that was fun to read and didn't take itself too seriously. The characters were interesting, clever and likable right off the bat and the story kept me interested the whole way through. I will say I was very surprised at the end, which was great - it definitely had surprises along ...more
Tabi34
This was a fun book. I wasn't sure at first if I would like it, but the characters grew on me. Paula - a single mom with a hidden past and her 2-year-old son Zach. Lindsey who owns a bakery/breakfast/lunch place and loves chocolate - can't resist it. Fred, the mysterious computer geek neighbor. And some other interesting characters - Adam Trent who in my opinion is hot. He's a detective. Rick the soon-to-be ex-husband of Lindsey. I root for him to get pummeled.

Paula has a past that includes jum
Nani
How well do you really know your closest friends and neighbors? How good a friend are you? Solid friendships don’t require every detail of someone’s past, but not knowing can sure put you in a dangerous situation if that untold past catches up. I liked the story of friends and trust and the main action plot was believable and just fiction enough to keep me guessing and surprised in the earlier chapters of the book.

I totally enjoyed this book! Told in first person, Death by Chocolate is an intens
Denise Zendel
I borrowed this e-book from a friend because I liked the cover (a beautiful dark chocolate cake with a white “poison” skull on it). For the first few chapters, I thought, “Ugh, why did I get this? This woman is sadly in need of a backbone. Delete, delete, delete.” Being as I was on the treadmill at the time, however, I stuck with it, and to my surprise, the plot really grew on me.

The main character, Lindsay, starts out as a babbling, spineless idiot, but by the end of the book, she gets a spine,
Karla
This was an interesting mystery and I enjoyed reading it. Lindsay, owner of the store "Death by Chocolate", tries to help her employee/best friend, Paula, when Paula's secret past comes back to haunt her. Planted devices, a poisoning, a kidnapping and being spied on will make anyone nervous; however, Lindsay will do whatever she needs to do to save her friend, even if it means breaking the law or becoming the bait.
Linda
A fun mystery. I mistakenly read book 2 in the series first, so this one just let me know more about the characters' backgrounds. Besides the fact that Lindsay far too freely tends to offer herself as bait to unsavory characters, these books are still good. And I really like the relationship between Lindsay and Trent. On to book 3!
Marti
This book sounds as if it should include recipes for chocolate concoctions--it doesn't It starts out slow, but we find that Lindley Powell's employee Paula Walter actually killed her abusive husband and fled with their infant son. She is trying to remain anonymous, but there is a man who is searching them out. Lindley is adopted by an 18 pound stray cat, King Henry, who helps protect her as well as a helpful and talented neighbor, Tom. Lindley is in the process of being divorced from Rick, who k ...more
Clare
Fun, quick read. I liked the main character and although some of it was not unexpected, there were some quirky side characters that were fun to read about (King Henry, Fred) and enough unanswered questions that I want to read the next in the series.
Adrienne Testa
Lindsay Powell is funny and faces life head on, even if she does get in over her head. This is a funny story with twist and turns that makes you turn the pages. It becomes apparent who the killer is half way through but that doesn't stop the pages from turning. Lindsay best friend Paula has secrets that could get them both killed. Paula is use to running and hiding to protect her son. Rick, Lindsay's soon to be ex husband wants her back after breaking up their marriage for another woman. Rick do ...more
Joyce Rawlins
Lindsay has a crazy husband who doesn,t want to get divorced, even though he cheats on his wife. Read this book and find out who tries to kill her. Good book and has some humor.
Mary
At least 2 of the characters have secret pasts, the ending answers some but not all of the questions. Guess I'll have to read the next book in the series. Quick summer read!
Michelle
This was a fun mystery. It contains mysteries within the main mystery. We may have uncovered Paula's mysterious past in this book but just who is Fred? I can't wait to read the next one.
Yvonne
Absolutely Loved this book!! Lindsay and her crazy nosiness, and stubbornness. When Lindsay's neighbor has so many secrets, and keeps her house locked up like Fort Knox, she is bound and determined to find out what's going on. Then all the craziness begins. Someone is spying on her neighbor Paula. A man has disappeared, and the police think he was murdered, by none other than Paula herself. With the help of their other neighbor friend Fred who seems to have a few secrets of his own, Henry her st ...more
Wendy
Excellent book. Full of witty banter and enjoyable characters. Totally a fluff book but totally worth the read as are the sequels.
Nannette
I discovered Sally. Berneathy when I read one of her other series and fell in love with her humorous. This book didn't. disappoint me. Humorous suspense and chocolate. Who could. go wrong. And cant wait to try the recipes.
Molly Z
Loved this story

What a fun and exciting mystery! I really enjoyed this story and the characters were fun. Made me want chocolate and more mysteries by Sally!
Jeannette
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

The story is simple with plenty of laughs. Characters are varied and interesting.

Margie
May 30, 2014 Margie added it
Good light reading mystery - and it even has the chocolate recipes in the back of the book that are mentioned in the story.
Caryn Kravitz
Lite reading, mystery, cooking!
The book includes some cholocolate recipes at the end!
Phyl
Very much enjoyed this first in series... Recommend.
Stephanie
2 1/2 It wasn't bad. It just wasn't all that good either.
  • Dying for Dinner Rolls (Chubby Chicks Club, #1)
  • Cupcakes, Lies, and Dead Guys (Annie Graceland Mystery, #1)
  • Mayhem at the Orient Express (League of Literary Ladies, #1)
  • Dying for a Daiquiri (Laurel McKay Mysteries #3)
  • The Diva Steals a Chocolate Kiss (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #9)
  • Senior Snoops (Agnes Barton Senior Sleuth Mystery, #3)
  • Cropped to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #1)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • Murder and Marinara (An Italian Kitchen Mystery, #1)
  • The Hoard of the Doges
  • The Huckleberry Murders: A Sheriff Bo Tully Mystery
  • 3 Bodies and a Biscotti (A Lexy Baker Bakery Mystery #4)
  • Death By Chocolate (Josiah Reynolds Mystery, #6)
  • Bump in the Night
  • Limoncello Yellow
  • Diners, Dives & Dead Ends (Rose Strickland Mystery, #1)
  • Cookies and Scream (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Nursing a Grudge (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #4)

Death by Chocolate (4 books)
  • Murder, Lies and Chocolate
  • The Great Chocolate Scam
  • Chocolate Mousse Attack (Death by Chocolate)
The Ex Who Wouldn't Die (Charley's Ghost, #1) Murder, Lies and Chocolate The Great Chocolate Scam Chocolate Mousse Attack (Death by Chocolate) The Ex Who Glowed In The Dark (Charley's Ghost, #2)