Start by marking “Red Skies” as Want to Read:
Red Skies

Red Skies

Divorced after thirteen years, Jesse Wade leaves the only home he’s ever known and finds work in Eden, North Dakota, as a ranch hand. His next relationship—this one with a man—is turbulent and eventually falls apart. Five years later, Jesse is still guilt-ridden, keeping his past and sexuality a secret.

Then he meets Ade Lardner, who breaks through the numbness surrounding
Published March 4th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press, LLC (first published March 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Red Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Skies

Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5-4*

This was a long slowly flowing story, but I liked it.
It is a bit more angsty than my usual read, these two guys had a lot to deal with.
Poor Jesse has been practically eaten alive with guilt, he can't let him self move on from his lovers death.
Both MC's are regular guys, nice hard working cowboy and a peace corps worker.
Jesse helps Ade with his grief, and Ade helped Jesse break out of the shell he was in, but I am glad that love/sex didn't heal all, Jesse actually had to do a lot on his own
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

Angsty books are the type of books I won't willingly read without a push. Mostly because I don't want to cry. Now, that's not saying I hate them or don't enjoy them (because I usually love them once I actually start reading) just that I prefer not to have my face look like a bee stung it with how swollen and blotchy it gets from crying. Yeah, I'm not a pretty crier :-( Anyway, this book, while not as angsty as some, will still make you shed a tear or two... or you might not.

I'd first l
Kathleen
Sep 01, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Son of a ranch owner swears never to fall for a closeted cowboy...guess what happens... But this story is so much more. It is about two men trying to overcome crippling grief in their past. I appreciated the lack of a magical healing penis that makes things that people really need therapists for go away. This book actually focused on real healing and how to do the right thing for the one you love (they get it wrong half the time but thats what men do...at least they were trying). 4 stars,
Meggie
Mar 14, 2011 Meggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now this story is perfect. From the start... you get a glimpse and you think you know it all, how the plot will turn out. But for my point of view, I can definitely state that I couldn't foresee such turn of event. This is truly an amazing piece of WORK. Greatly written story with powerful deep characters. A plot was emotional and amazing clean, with pure writing style.
TOTALLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BOOK !!
Anke
Mar 07, 2011 Anke rated it liked it
It was slow, but nice, until the past of Jesse, well in fact it was the past of his first love, got drawn out and build up to this huge revelation.
Mel Bradley
Jun 17, 2011 Mel Bradley rated it really liked it
After years of merely going through the actions of life, Jesse finds himself confused and scared about the prospect of finding love again – especially now that he’s ready to acknowledge that he’s gay. His past relationship with a man, continues to haunt Jesse and holds him back from going after what he wants – the ranch owner’s son, Ade. Ade is not willing to be second fiddle to anyone, but quickly finds himself lusting after the quiet foreman. Will both men be able to overcome their internal st ...more
Feliz
Apr 17, 2011 Feliz rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, m-m, cowboys
Told in Jesse’s and Ade’s alternating third person’s POV (with the main part of the narrative owned by Jesse), both main characters come alive nicely in the book. I found them both believable and consistent. Mainly Jesse went through an amazing process of self-discovery and growth that was fascinating to watch. Ade was a likeable, sweet man who nevertheless knew what he wanted. He was demanding enough to shake Jesse out of his emotional stupor, but confiding enough to give Jesse time and space.
F
Antonella
I liked: the very realistic description of the life and work in the ranch; the conflict in Jesse; the fact that the characters had psychological depth.

I didn't like: too many flashbacks, especially concerning Johnny; the MCs talking loud to themselves, and sometimes even being discovered by someone else doing this; the too twisted secondary plot in the second part, with quite an incredible coincidence and a multiple complication of the already complicated Johnny's story; sometimes descriptions w
Joy
Nov 05, 2011 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, kindle-lendable
Interesting story about a man whose lover tragically dies, leaving him afraid to move on into a healthier relationship. The story is hampered somewhat by skipping around a lot in time. But: cowboys!

I read the ebook and there was a large chunk of the book that was in italics for no apparent reason, which was distracting.
Nightcolors
Tough book to rate... Characters felt real and it was well written. But I ended up liking it less the farther I got into the story. This is obviously entirely a personal opinion, but this just felt too depressing to me. Then finding out the truth about Johnny... That made me feel way too down, it rather destroyed what enjoyment I still had at that point.

So 2.5 stars.
Damon Suede
Mar 22, 2011 Damon Suede rated it really liked it
A very well-written handling of the hoary "saving the ranch" M/M trope with believable characters, thoughtful detail, and inexorable sexy build... A little byzantine with the backstory, but coherent above all else. Strongly recommended,
Yvonne
Dec 27, 2011 Yvonne rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, m-m-cowboys
3.5 I actually never heard of this book before but was looking for a book that took place in North Dakota and this one fit the bill. It was a nice bonus that I ended up really liked this story of a man, Jesse Wade, struggling to get over his grief from an old love in order to make him free to move on to his new love, Ade. There are some caveats. Since this book is about cowboys and ranching, it does go into some details about this, especially in the beginning. There's quite a bit of flashbacks i ...more
Kira
Mar 11, 2011 Kira rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, cowboys, family

This was certainly one of the better cowboy-books out there.

I loved the characters, they had depth and even though I occasionally felt like Jesse and his past got all of the limelight, it was still an excellent, complex story.

The men were real men, that's always a plus. They also had a softer side, which was balanced nicely.

The only thing that bothered me a bit was the detail of the ranch life in the first half of the book and the lack of it in the second half. There was a bit of an imbalance t
Tamela
I loved how these characters were written, so real I could almost touch the love and the pain. Jesse had so much to deal with all his life, it was sad to realize how much of his life he lived in denial or regret. Thank goodness he met Ade, though it took a lot to get past his guilt, he knew he had to move forward or lose Ade forever.

Great characters and story. I read this through in one sitting with a short break for lunch. Lucky for me I started this on a Sunday so I was able to finish in one d
Janie
Apr 04, 2014 Janie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Wow, just wow. This was such a breathtakingly beautiful and heartbreaking story. Jesse and Ade are two extremely strong individuals who are both struggling to deal with their pasts and the heartbreak that has happened in their lives. Its a very emotional trip with them through the pain and healing and its not something that happens overnight. And by meeting one another, it helps them both learn to grow and cope with the pain they feel and it brings them to a much better place as a couple. This b ...more
Lorrayne
Mar 24, 2011 Lorrayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although not my natural choice of book, I am extremely pleased I picked it up. I couldn't put it down. ( I did, but only so the read would last longer.) The writing had me caring about the characters quickly. The words flowed easily so I could concentrate on the story.

Could see the twists coming but no way could I guess where they were going (hate predictable books). Would definatly recomend to anyone who just wants to lose themselves in a good book. Just wish it wasn't over so quick.
Annika
while the first half wasn't perfect (prose, editing and the kind of akward and too many sex scenes) it was a pageturner for me. Unfortunately the second half turned out to be more an overlong therapy session... I also regretted that Johnny wasn't a more normal person (don't want to spil anything here). Getting over the dead of a loved one maybe paired with guilt problemns like Jesse had are out there.
Blue Bayou .
Jan 02, 2014 Blue Bayou . rated it really liked it
3.5

Good story. The progression of personal growth with the MC's felt natural. There was some psychoanalysis but it fell in line with the story. This felt like 2 people in love who were trying to make themselves better for each other. Other reviewer stated that the story is 'real'. I wish I had the word/words to explain better but honestly it just felt like a real story. I am going to be looking for more Joanne Kells stories in the future.
Terry
Jul 14, 2011 Terry rated it liked it
The story was quite interesting and the writing really good but in the end I felt as though I had been sitting in on a psychoanalysis session. Some parts of the book were very moving but maybe Ms Kells put just a little too much of her professional therapist work into the story. Maybe as well too many and repetitive sex scenes for my liking but nevertheless I quite like the book.
Juxian
Apr 01, 2016 Juxian rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-like, cowboys
Normally I really like this type of stories: a character loses the love of his life and then meets another man and slowly recovers and learns to love again. But I couldn't help it: both characters of 'Red Skies' were so annoying I couldn't sympathize with them at all.
Vicki Dudley
Aug 07, 2013 Vicki Dudley rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. While it is full of tragedy and heartbreak, it is also full of love. Well worth a read if you like stories that have a great plot and not just sex, even though the sex is seriously hot!!! Also, hot cowboys!!!!
Shirley Ann
May 31, 2013 Shirley Ann rated it really liked it
A great story
Lily
Well-written but quite angsty. Overall a good read.
Anna
Dec 27, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
Hard to read at times, but overall a good read! Recommended, with a good HEA!
Meike
Nov 20, 2011 Meike rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, cowboys
Sadly I pretty much started losing interest in this story from around page 150 on. I can't even really pin down why.
Teena
Teena rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2012
Suong Doan
Suong Doan rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Maxicoop
Maxicoop rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2011
A.L.
A.L. rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Clouds and Rain (Clouds and Rain #1)
  • Home of His Own (Home, #2)
  • The Cowboy Poet
  • A Troubled Range (Range, #2)
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • Quinn's Need (Whispering Pines Ranch, #2)
  • Jesse
  • My Only Sunshine
  • Chase the Stars (Lang Downs, #2)
  • Calvin's Cowboy (Calvin's Cowboy #1)
  • Seeing You
  • Love, Like Water
  • Saddle Up 'N Ride
  • Natural Disaster (Bareback, #2)
  • Riding Double Anthology
Joanne Kells is forty years old, British, and lives in Dorset with her husband and two children. She started writing at an early age and eventually went to stage school in London at the age of eleven. After graduating she became an actress, writing stories and plays in her spare time until her late twenties. A traffic accident put an abrupt stop to her acting career, and through intensive rehab th ...more
More about Joanne Kells...