Start by marking “Thinner” as Want to Read:
Thinner

Thinner

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  120,199 Ratings  ·  1,378 Reviews
When an old Gypsy man curses Billy Halleck for sideswiping his daughter, six weeks later he's 93 pounds lighter. Now Billy is terrified. And desperate enough for one last gamble...that will lead him to a nightmare showdown with the forces of evil melting his flesh away.
Published 1986 by New English Library (first published November 19th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Thinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinner

Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 26, 2015 Jeffrey Keeten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Richie “The Hammer” Ginelli

photo Thinner20Movie_zpsvr8ydode.jpg

William Halleck is a damn fine lawyer, a rising star in his firm, and well liked by judges and pol
Will M.
The premise really prompted me to read this novel. Aside from the fact that King wrote this, the premise really made me curious as to what the novel was all about. It was about a man who got cursed, and now he's losing weight everyday, and he fears that it will come to a point where he'll turn into nothing.

Everything was good, but nothing was great. That's the main problem of the novel for me. While the start of the novel was batshit amazing and fast paced, the middle and the end was a huge drag
Dan Schwent
Dec 19, 2013 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Overweight lawyer William Halleck strikes and kills a gypsy woman who is crossing the street. He is acquitted but a relative of the woman touches Halleck's cheek and curses him. Now he's losing three pounds a day with no end in sight. Can he track down the gypsy man and get him to remove the curse or will he waste away to nothing?

What's so scary about a fat guy losing weight? A lot, it turns out. Never has getting a tug job in the car from your wife gotten someone into so much trouble. I felt fo
Danger
Jan 06, 2016 Danger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first saw the movie for this back in the 90s, long before I read this book. And if you've never seen the film, believe me when I say, it's bad. It’s AWESOMELY bad. Overacted, terribly-paced, full of dumb effects and the worst “fat suit” I’ve ever seen. But, for some reason, I can't help but love it. I’ll watch it over and over again on Netfilx like it was reruns of The Office. Maybe I just like terrible movies. I don’t know.

But, that said, I've never read this book. Never even thought about it
Carol
Mar 15, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The older Stephen King novels continue to amaze me......this one grabbed me from page one and did not let go! When grossly overweight attorney Billy Helleck unintentionally hits (view spoiler) an old gypsy woman who darts out into the street, (view spoiler) the incident is not properly investigated, and soon after, he, his buddy Judge Cory who presided plus friend, Officer Hopley are "touched" and "cursed" by a s ...more
Franco  Santos
Buen libro. Su idea es muy interesante: una persona obesa que va perdiendo peso por un maleficio hecho por una gitana.

description

Empieza bastante lento; al menos a mí no me enganchó desde la primera página. Tengo que decir que cuando lo empecé quería dejarlo. Y lo dejé. Sin embargo, en el segundo intento lo pude terminar.

El mundo es un montón de mierda. Pero muchas veces puede ser muy hermoso.

Es un libro que en varias partes se me hizo denso. En una novela más larga quizás no me importe tanto, pero es un
Bridgit Barger
Mar 05, 2016 Bridgit Barger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
I have been obsessed with Stephen King's work for about seven years, from the first moment I checked out "Carrie" from my high school's library. "Thinner" certainly did not disappoint! The stellar writing and the character's complexities brought me back to that feeling I got when I first picked up a King novel: the belief that, although the plot seems outrageously far-fetched, it still somehow feels real.
Chrissa Vasileiou
Μπορεί να φταίει που το διάβαζα στο τάμπλετ τα βράδια,πριν με πάρει ο ύπνος...Μπορεί να φταίει που την ίδια περίοδο διάβαζα βιβλία απανωτά,και ήταν όλα πιο ενδιαφέροντα από το συγκεκριμένο...Μπορεί να ήμουν κουρασμένη...Ή μπορεί να μην άξιζε για μένα πάνω από 3 αστεράκια!
Ο Μπάκμαν είναι ο Κινγκ,οπότε δεν μπορώ σε καμία περίπτωση να 'χρεώσω' το ότι δεν μου άρεσε τόσο σ' αυτό. Ούτε το ότι ήταν από τα πρώιμα έργα του,γιατί πρώιμα θεωρούνται και η "Κάρυ",το "Σάλεμ'ς Λοτ" και η "Λάμψη". Και δεν είναι
Paula
Jan 22, 2016 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Billy Halleck is living a good life. He's an up-and-coming lawyer, has a wife and a teenage daughter, and a nice home. He is also overweight, a fact which his doctor is always reminding him of. One day while driving, Billy accidently sideswipes an old gypsy woman who is crossing the street and kills her. Billy is cleared of any charges for this incident, as he is good friends with the police and the judge. There's also no love lost between law enforcement and the gypsies, since the police just w ...more
Tess Roman
May 09, 2016 Tess Roman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Turner

Audiobook - Narrated by Joe Mantenga – Good narration for the most part.

Joe Mantenga, who played Richie Ginelli in the novel's film adaptation, narrates the book. He has a wonderful reading voice and his male characters, especially those of the gypsies are excellent, but his female characters left a lot to be desired. They came across as pathetic and whiny. In fact, every time Heidi opened her mouth I wanted to choke her. But, if you can get passed that he does a great job.

***

Ebook:

It’s been man
Maciek
'Thinner,' the old Gypsy man with the rotting nose whispers to William Halleck as Halleck and his wife, Heidi, come out of the courthouse. Just that one word, sent on the wafting, cloying sweetness of his breath. 'Thinner.' And before Halleck can jerk away, the old Gypsy reaches out and caresses his cheek with one twisted finger. His lips spread open like a wound, showing a few tombstone stumps poking out of his gums. They are black and green. His tongue squirms between them and then slides out ...more
Becky
I really enjoyed this book. It's dark and has a kind of bitterness, and I liked that quality a lot.

But first, the thing that I thought didn't really work: Billy's starting weight of 246 lbs. Billy is 6'2, so while 246 lbs on that frame would make him overweight, it is by no means the "pig fat" obese weight that we're supposed to feel like it is. His doctor and his wife and daughter all have this "Ohmigod, you will have a heart attack and DIE, Billy!" panic about his weight, so when he starts lo
Meryl
Jun 06, 2009 Meryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of crappy Stephen King
Shelves: waste-of-paper
Crap, King. Why do you always do this to I? The back of the book makes the whole thing sounds rather interesting. You start off with a nice push; sentences, paragraphs that make me think "Great Gatsby, I think he's done it!" But in the end, you disappoint me yet again and make me think, "Next time, I won't even bother."

The beginning was good: compelling page-turning that grasped my attention! He's losing weight rapidly! Curses and stuff! But after the first few chapters... Bleh, just dull and ra
Stefan Yates
Mar 20, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Thinner is the last of the Bachman books before the world officially knew that Richard Bachman was actually Stephen King (although by this point most fans were at least 90% sure.) As such, this novel is more in the style of king than in the more raw style that I found in the other earlier Bachman books.

Thinner is a great "revenge" novel. The story moves quickly and the main character's race against time keeps the pages turning at a fairly rapid pace. The nice thing about this one is that, in tru
CMT325
Nov 24, 2008 CMT325 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by Richard Bachman, and for years, King denied that he was Bachman. The thing I love about the Bachman Books is that they do have a slightly different tone from the other King novels. It's almost as if "Bachman" feels more cold toward his characters- a character we get to know will lose everything, wheras in a King novel, he may hold on to something.

In "Thinner", the main character is a well-to do lawyer who accidently kills a woman and is let off by the very court he works
Mike (the Paladin)
May 12, 2015 Mike (the Paladin) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is the book that prompted me to say I wouldn't read anymore of King's "Bachman" books. it almost caused me to avoid all King's books altogether.

____________________________

Above is my first review from several years ago. I just wanted to add a clarification. The book didn't effect me so badly not because it's frightening but because it's so depressing and fatalistic.

(view spoiler)
Craig *ARISEN FROM THE ABYSS*
Enjoyed this. Good story. Especially enjoyed the parts where his gangster friend decided to 'help out'. Nice ending too with a 'did he or didn't he' vibe.
Gary
Feb 18, 2013 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Stephen King at his absolute best, weaving everyday themes of guilt, responsibility, revenge, prejudice, friendship, love... into a taut supernatural thriller. Great writing, great story and characters and a jaw dropping 'Oh Noooooooo!!!' ending. Absolutely recommended whether you are a Stephen King fan or not. This will keep you wanting more right to the end. 5 stars? No-brainer.
Adam Light
Mar 31, 2016 Adam Light rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, the-king
This reread of Thinner really impressed me. I was so happy with it, I bumped it up to five big stars. I can't think of anything unkind to speak of within this tight, relentless supernatural thriller. One of Kinh's best!
R.a.
May 12, 2015 R.a. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

246 . . . 188 . . . 172 . . . 156 . . . 137—How low can you go?

172 . . . 156—How low can you go . . . 137 . . . before . . .

Death!

This is the question that the “big, fat hog” protagonist Billy Halleck faces in this “last” Bachman novel. And interestingly, with his last, (before his resurrection, that is), a kind of shift occurs.

As the Bachman writing persona affected the Stephen King writing persona in previous works, with Thinner, the King writing persona seems to affect that of Richa
Sarah Anne
Yet another one I loved when I was a kid and it's just not good :( I liked the first half, and the ending was just as screwed up as I remembered, but the second half was quite absurd at times. One of those things that requires a complete absence of disbelief rather than a mere suspension. Very disappointing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the extremely frustrating typos in the Kindle version.
Sumit Singla
Nov 26, 2015 Sumit Singla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
William 'Billy' Halleck is an overweight man, rapidly losing weight. Hardly horrifying, right? It sounds like a plot for a book on healthy eating/dieting. Stephen King and self-help, eh? Haha, how wrong you are! King specializes in beyond-help, not self-help.

Missus Halleck decides to spice things up by giving ol' Billy a handjob in the car. And normally safe driver, our Billy, is so caught up in the throes of his orgasm that he accidentally kills an old Gypsy woman. Thanks to connections in high
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Wow!
Most excellent indeed.
Loved this story line.
I couldn't stop turning the pages.
Mr. Bachman (*whispers* KING) YOU OUT DID YOURSELF, SIR!
Alex
Aug 09, 2015 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a Stephen King (or Richard Bachman, for that matter) novel before. And I must say that my first one was more then disappointing. I hear great things about how scary Stephen King's novels are but the only thing this novel did for me is make me scared to eat pie. And I was also surprised to find some missing quotes (") and misspelled words.

The writing didn't keep my attention at all. I found myself having to re-read pages because I was thinking about something else. I was shocked t
Leo
Sep 25, 2011 Leo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was pretty damn enjoyable. I found it slowed down around the half-way point, then picked up just in time for a really wicked build-up to the gritty, outstanding final few chapters. The real highlight for me was Richard Ginelli, one of King's coldest, coolest and most dangerous characters that I've come across. (Ginelli gets a really brief reference in book two of the Dark Tower series - I got a good kick out of that!)
Paula ★Ackerman Jaeger★
No es de los mejores de King. Entre que me costaba concentrarme también se me hizo un poco lento, sin embargo en la mitad del libro me enganché y así pude terminarlo.
Thomas Strömquist
Oct 15, 2015 Thomas Strömquist rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Completists
Nope - I'm sticking by my soon-to-be-30-years judgment of "Thinner" (good to know that some things do not change!). The story (overweight man accidentally - but negligently - runs over and kills the elderly daughter of the very elderly leader of a "Gypsy group" and gets cursed, along with the chief of police and judge, who more or less swept the matter under the carpet) is not bad, but it's far from great also.

For such a short story, it's surprisingly lagging in the middle. The strange storytel
Steven Belanger
Stephen King fans by and large rate this one highly; I have to respectfully disagree. It was the first best-selling Bachman book--but still published under Bachman, not King, which tells you a little about what King himself thought of it. The premise of the curse from a Gypsy is soooo Drag Me to Hell (and a bit of a stereotype); the main character is an Everyman who you don't root for three-quarters of the way through (if at all); and the ending is a downer on so many levels, not the least of wh ...more
Theresa Flores
Jun 25, 2013 Theresa Flores rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-review, owned
Billy Halleck

4.4 stars, to be more specific.

It all started when Billy Halleck accidentally killed an old Gypsy woman in a car accident. Billy Halleck almost got away with everything--almost. An angry father left Billy Halleck with a curse; that in the next weeks Billy Halleck would be...thinner. Sure enough, Billy Halleck, a 246-pound man, starts to lose more than a couple of pounds everyday, eventually leading up to 20 pounds in two weeks. It went on and on and on. Billy Halleck believes a curse had been g
Similar Recommendations? 1 12 Dec 02, 2015 03:07PM
please add the book cover from amazon 2 16 May 24, 2015 11:08PM
Cover art of US paper back. 4 69 Nov 02, 2014 10:54PM
Stephen King Fans: Thinner-Bachman book 71 281 Nov 18, 2013 08:20PM
La Stamberga dei ...: L'occhio del male di Richard Bachman (Stephen King) 1 5 Sep 16, 2012 10:04AM
  • Skeleton Crew
This is a Stephen King pseudonym.

Stephen Edwin King was born in Portland, Maine in 1947, the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his parents separated when Stephen was a toddler, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When S
More about Richard Bachman...

“In many ways the world is nothing but a pile of shit. But it can also be very beautiful.” 13 likes
“Some guys-- a lot of guys---don't believe what they are seeing, especially if it gets in the way of what they eat or drink or think or believe. Me, I don't believe in God. But if I saw him, I would. I wouldn't just go around saying 'Jesus, that was a great special effect.' The definition of an asshole is a guy who doesn't believe what he's seeing. And you can quote me.” 12 likes