Start by marking “Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible” as Want to Read:
Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible

Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  813 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
For every person who draws strength and direction from the Bible, there are many more who struggle with it.Some call ita long book with fine print and obscure meaning.Some call it amystery,a chore to read,or an undecipherable puzzle.

The good news is you can easily solve this problem. With over 300,000 sold, this revised and expanded edition of Living by the Book will remov
Published January 1st 2007 by Moody Publishers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Living By the Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living By the Book

Trevor
Nov 05, 2014 Trevor rated it it was amazing
Hendricks writes both for the theologian and the novice Bible reader. He's clear, simple, and profoundly helpful in understanding how to appropriately read the Bible in the context of its original audience and meaning. This book was required reading for my seminary courses and, thus, I assumed it would be lofty in its presentation. However, Hendricks has a knack for making what would otherwise be complex ideas quite simple and accessible to every reader, regardless of age, background, or educati ...more
Kimba
Mar 20, 2008 Kimba rated it really liked it
To read the bible more intelligently.
Charles Jr.
Mar 17, 2012 Charles Jr. rated it it was amazing
This is a must have on your shelf if you have a desire to understand the Bible with clarity. I have read through this book over and over again, but I always glean some valuable golden nuggets everytime I read it.
Joey
Sep 08, 2008 Joey rated it really liked it
Great book for learning the basics of how to study the bible in such a way that it will bring about life change. Looks in depth at how to observe, interpret, and apply the Word of God.
Kindra
Jan 18, 2011 Kindra rated it it was amazing
Not an easy read. It takes more of a teaching approach, and is very thorough. Highly recommend if you want to learn how to "study" the Bible.
Terry Moffitt
Best book on Bible Study I have ever used.
Esther
Aug 19, 2008 Esther rated it it was amazing
Easy, practical method on how to study the Bible.
Trish
Sep 11, 2011 Trish rated it really liked it
Very clear and well written.
Alex Hannis
Mar 09, 2016 Alex Hannis rated it really liked it
Shelves: seminary-books
What I really appreciate about this book is Hendicks' simple process for interpretation. Observation, Interpretation, Application. He does a great job explaining these in depth and giving you confidence that you are also able to accurately interpret and understand the biblical text.

My only real hesitation with this book is that Hendricks' is a big proponent of the principlizing method. Simply pulling principles out of the text to live by has serious limitations, especially as it relates to the
Mikey
Mar 17, 2013 Mikey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took a class at Moody Bible Institute in 2001 called "Elements of Bible Study". It was an "intro to hermeneutics class" and they used this as a Textbook for the class. I did enjoy the class and this book was easy to go through.
(view spoiler)
Iris
Dec 28, 2015 Iris rated it really liked it
Living by the Book teaches one how to study the Bible on one’s own. It focuses on three key steps: observation, interpretation, and application. For each step there are chapters that break the steps down into manageable ideas. Each chapter also offers suggestions for practice.

The important idea in observation is to read the text well. The Hendrickses offer ten ideas on ways to read carefully. They also point out things that should be looked for: thing that are emphasized, repeated, related, com
Dean
Feb 28, 2013 Dean rated it did not like it
Living By The Book is popular in the general evangelical Protestant population. Howard G. Hendricks claims to have "a simple proven process" of training a layperson to study the Bible. How does such a process take 48 Chapters in a book that is now in its 6th Edition?

While the Book does contain some educational lessons about reading in general it fails miserably in incorporating a solid understanding of God (Theology) and sinks into the realm of Neo-Orthodoxy by placing the reader in danger of eq
Jessica Lowery
Jun 30, 2013 Jessica Lowery rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
If there is ever someone who complains that they hate inductive study, or can't get into it/can't get anything out of it --- there is another way to study outlined in this book that gets to the same result.
Hendricks says that there are 3 steps to understanding Bible passages: Observation, Interpretation, and Application.
He begins with observation=
His chapters on this initial step center around two lists that he developed. The first has to do with our attitude and outlook as we approach reading
Gregory
Jan 16, 2015 Gregory rated it it was amazing
Excellent! A life changer...THE book I had been looking for for so long...the material was not new to me, but the payoff was in the explanations and the "You Try It"

3/5/2011:
Second reading of this life-changing book. Now I will begin using the principles learned by studying a book month (didn't quite make it, but am doing each book as we study it at church (http://www.veritascedarrapids.com/). Next step is to do the remaining "You Try It" sections that I have not yet done.
Alex Nolette
Sep 19, 2015 Alex Nolette rated it liked it
I thought this book was good and actually quite excellent for someone that hasn't developed a habit of Bible reading, but for me it wasn't too helpful. I would recommend it to the average church attender looking to learn about the Bible and the best way to read it (and someone looking to start a small Bible study), but there are better books for the more advanced or mature Bible reader.
Chris Boyle
Apr 16, 2015 Chris Boyle rated it really liked it
This book provided a good introduction to reading and studying the bible. He gives some examples throughout the book to illustrate what he is teaching. My only criticism is that he uses a different bible passage for each example rather than using one passage and demonstrating how to study it from start to finish.
Bradley Hannah
This was a good read and very informative on how one could inspect all types of literature. I would recommend this book for readers to explore. I have had the pleasure of going through this book before and I realize that the more times that a book is explored the more information can be discovered.
Trayce A Cox
Feb 19, 2015 Trayce A Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good for any religious background

A wonderful and balanced look at how to read your bible with observation, interpretation, and the most challenging of all application. I am Catholic and I found this to be an amazing and easily applicable guide. Would also strongly recommend the workbook.
Patrick S.
Jan 09, 2013 Patrick S. rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Hendricks adds his charm and teaching style into providing a well rounded approach to not just studying The Bible, but could also apply to studying anything. However, the book has specific application to The Bible. Broken into three sections, Hendricks focuses your attention on what to read, how to read, and how to apply what you read. This is a good book for any young Christian or young person who is starting to take their Bible reading to a deeper level. If you are well established in the fait ...more
Brett Ricley
Oct 30, 2015 Brett Ricley rated it it was amazing
An incredibly practical and comprehensive book on how to study the Bible for yourself. This should be required reading for every Christian, especially those in ministry leadership positions. Full of application, this is a book you'll want to own and give copies to new believers.
Stevie
Contribution: The Hendricks’ book is one of the most comprehensive books on Bible study I have read and surveyed. By addressing each step in the inductive method process, there is no doubt as to what each step entails and requires for orthodox interpretation. In addition, the examples and exercises in the chapters give the reader a chance to both see and do the step explained. In addition to the inductive method, the Hendricks’ even address the nature of reading and how the Bible can be understo ...more
Eric
Mar 22, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Persons interested in Bible study
Recommended to Eric by: Genny George
Outstanding, straightforward, easy to grasp. Most important, author continues to emphasize purpose of Bible study is to obey what it says, to become more like Jesus, and to be able to tell others about Him.
Jackie Anderson
Jun 08, 2016 Jackie Anderson rated it it was amazing
A great classic. I read this maybe 2o years ago as a foundation to learn to study the Bible. I refer to it again and again. It has the basics and then You Try It assignments that really help.
Mariel Dennis
Nov 07, 2015 Mariel Dennis rated it it was amazing
So good. Read it for class. Encouraged me to be a better reader and an exhaustive observer. Stirred my affections for the Word and the Lord. Easy, friendly read.
Ivey
Jan 18, 2016 Ivey rated it it was amazing
This book has the nuts and bolts of Bible study and explains them in a clear and direct way. It was very challenging but I learned a lot from digging into it.
Jeremy
May 19, 2012 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeremy by: Matt Chandler
I enjoyed this "textbook" on how to get the most out of reading and studying the Bible. The author, Howard Hendricks takes a very practical and methodical approach to Bible study and this matches up well to my personality. Although the bulk of the book is concerned with the observation and interpretation stages of study, the author makes it clear that the application stage is the most important and also the most difficult to implement. Again, this is another book I wish I was aware of earlier in ...more
Caleb
May 29, 2012 Caleb rated it really liked it
Hendricks's book is ideally suited for a Christian's long-term study on how to study the Bible for himself. It could work very well as a one-on-one or group study, as well. The chapters are bite-size, and almost every concept has an associated "You Try It" exercise. The concepts are anything but trite, however. Particularly helpful is his breaking down of the process of Bible study into three steps: observe, interpret, apply. Plenty of "gem" concepts and quotes along the way. A good blend of spo ...more
Debi
May 22, 2014 Debi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, bible-study
Fantastic book for learning how to study the Bible for yourself!

"The Bible was not written to satisfy your curiosity; it was written to transform your life. The ultimate goal of Bible study, then, is not to do something to the Bible, but to allow the Bible to do something to you, so truth becomes tangent to life. You see, we frequently come to the Bible to study it, to teach it, to preach it, to outline it - everything except to be changed by it."

"...God gives us His Word not to make us comforta
Chris Willson
Apr 09, 2016 Chris Willson rated it liked it
Shelves: seminary
Read for Hermeneutics class.
Carole
Sep 18, 2014 Carole rated it really liked it
This book has helped me immensely in studying the bible. It's the best bible study book I have found so far.
  • Methodical Bible Study
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • For the Love of God: Volume One: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word
  • The Gospel According to the Apostles
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
  • A Basic Guide to Interpreting the Bible: Playing by the Rules
  • The Story of Christian Theology: Twenty Centuries of Tradition Reform
  • The Message of the Sermon on the Mount
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible

“One of the great killers in Bible study is the statement, “I already know that.” 0 likes