Start by marking “Dorothy Kunhardt's Kitty's New Doll” as Want to Read:
Dorothy Kunhardt's Kitty's New Doll

Dorothy Kunhardt's Kitty's New Doll

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  10 reviews
KITTY AND HER mother go to the toy store for her very first doll. Which one does Kitty choose? Not the doll that walks and talks. Kitty chooses a rag doll that can’t do anything, not even sleep. “But she can pretend cry and pretend sleep . . . and she can say anything I want her to say,” says Kitty. And as she walks home with her new doll, she holds it close and pretends t ...more
Published September 14th 2004 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Dorothy Kunhardt's Kitty's New Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorothy Kunhardt's Kitty's New Doll

Barb
Some cat lovers wear clothes depicting cats, others collect cat figurines, I have combined both my love of books and cats: I collect cat books, even children’s books, which is why I have Dorothy Kunhardt’s Kitty’s New Doll. In a town of human-like cats (they walk on their hind legs), a mother takes her daughter to the toy store to buy a doll. The basic message of the story is to appreciate simplicity and imagination in life, which is certainly a good thing.

What I don’t like is that it reinforces
I loved this book as a child & I love it as an adult. I love the story about a little girl picking out her very own doll. It's just adorable!
Michael
Jul 22, 2013 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michael by: Aleyda
Two stars does not mean it was bad, it means that I thought it was "OK". I didn't dislike the story, just that compared to all the other books out there, this was "OK". Now, Aleyda, who loves "kitties" really liked the book, she gave it four stars. My review, my rating--when she gets her own "goodreads" page she can mark this book any way she sees fit. I will say that Kitty did pick the right doll for the right reasons, to let Kitty's imagination rule future play.
Dolly
Jun 26, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens
This is a short, sweet story about a young girl picking out a doll for her very own. The story is reminiscent of Corduroy by Don Freeman, but isn't as much of a classic. The illustrations are soft and colorful.
Liane
Oct 11, 2008 Liane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: misty
Genre: Picture Book

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: Shopping. Dolls. Mother and Daughter Relationships. Cats

Curricular Use: Read-aloud

Literary Elements: Personification: characters are cats. Imagery. Description of all the dolls until we find out Kitty's choice

Text & Pictures: Interaction of text and Pictures
Sara B
This is a story about a mother and daughter going shopping for a new doll. The daughter looks all the dolls over until she finds the perfect doll. The mother doesn't understand why the daughter picked the doll she did until she explains it to her.
Sharon Green
ages 4-7
transitional
read aloud/shared reading
animal picture book
personification
acceptance/love
cute story of little girl kitty choosing the jsut right doll
Beth
Kitty has many choices for a new doll and some can do many different things. Kitty likes the rag doll the best because it has no limitations.
Kristin
This was my all time favorite growing up. It is such a good story.
Courtney Williams
My very favourite book as a kid!
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Sarah Owen
Sarah Owen marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Lucy
Lucy added it
Jul 20, 2014
Joanne G.
Joanne G. marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Yelena
Yelena marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dorothy Kunhardt was the author of over 50 children's book, including the legendary interactive baby book, Pat the Bunny. She was also a historian, writing several books about 19th century America, including a well-known account of the aftermath of Lincoln's assassination.
More about Dorothy Kunhardt...
Pat the Bunny Sleepy Bunny ( Pat the Bunny) Cloth Book Pat the Bunny: Alphabet Book (Picture Book) Twenty Days: A Narrative in Text and Pictures of the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the Twenty Days and Nights That Followed--The Nation in Mourning, the Long Trip Home to Springfield Junket Is Nice