Start by marking “Eat Your Math Homework” as Want to Read:
Eat Your Math Homework

Eat Your Math Homework

This collection of yummy recipes and fun math facts is sure to tempt taste buds and make you hungry for more. Explore patterns in nature while you chomp on Fibonacci Stack Sticks. Amaze your friends with delicious Variable Pizza Pi! Wash down your geometry assignment with some Milk and Tangram Cookies.

Topics covered include probability, Fibonacci numbers, tessellations, v
Published July 1st 2011 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Your Math Homework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Your Math Homework

Apr 20, 2012 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Eat Your Math Homework: Recipes for Hungry Minds by Ann McCallum is such an innovative book that can be used to teach students about many different math concepts. It can be used to teach students about how to do fractions with an example of a pizza, and even explains to students about pi. The book can also be used to teach about geometric shapes and allowing students to use tangram cookies. The book also teaches measurement by showing students different recipes to make. I would use this book for ...more
Jun 19, 2011 Betsy rated it really liked it
Cooking. Math. Not the usual subject matter for a kid browsing the library shelves (though I’ve admittedly had more than one kid ask me for cookbooks, so there’s that). Still and all, when I encounter a book like Eat Your Math Homework I think about its intended audience. Look this book up on a site like Amazon and you’ll learn that it was written for the 9-12 aged set. That may well be, but what you’re dealing with is a picture book, for all practical intents and purposes. So it would be a part ...more
Carol Covin
Dec 12, 2013 Carol Covin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Math teacher Ann McCallum, in trying to make math less scary for her students and to show their parents, often also afraid of math, how simple it could be, started with "mathematical" gingerbread houses. How many steps led up to the door, what was the length of the perimeter of the roof. She soon realized she had struck on something universal - math is not scary when it is illustrated with food. Her delightfully illustrated book, Eat Your Math Homework, is the result. Sophisticated math concepts ...more
Margaret Chind

Originally posted on Creative Madness Mama.

We are still in the earliest years of math education in our homeschool and I want to make sure that math remains a favored subject and not a dreaded one. Thus when I heard about Ann McCallum's Eat Your Math Homework I was intrigued and excited about the possibility of adding such a book to our homeschool set up. We are enjoying living books with a math theme and I think an activity book for math will definitely excite my little people. Especially a r
Gema Ramirez
Jun 20, 2014 Gema Ramirez rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Eat Your Math Homework is a wonderful book that is informative and fun for children of all ages. Math and cooking go hand-in-hand, but the author, Ann McCallum, allows children to learn about cooking and integrates it with a wide range of mathematical topics.

One of my favorite recipes from this book was the "Tessellating Two-Color Brownies. I had no idea what a tessellation was until I read the recipe for it. According to McCallum Pg. 19, "It is a pattern of repeating shapes, or polygons, that
Feb 26, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book creatively combines math concepts with different recipes and cooking projects that help children grasp the principles in tangible ways. The narratives are humorous and informative and the cooking projects are simple enough for children to do, although parental supervision is highly recommended.

We really enjoyed reading this book together. I have to admit that we did not tackle any of the projects while reading the book, but the next time we bake brownies, I definitely plan to make a t
Mallory White
Apr 10, 2013 Mallory White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
This book is a fantastic way you can show your students that math is used in everyday life. I love how it doesn't deal with the normal math we see in everyday class such as: time, counting, addition and subtraction. It actually shows us how we can use our math and fractions and measurements and bake and also make yummy foods. We could use this if we ever had a math party or on pie day( turn it into fun with fractions)
Jan 24, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
During the recent snowstorm, this book kept my kids happy and entertained, while teaching them math concepts. Doing six very simple recipes (such as fraction chips from tortillas and pizza pi) we ate while talking about how simple math problems could be solved or illustrated with food we eat on a regular basis. The tangram cookies made for interesting shapes, and during a few days, instead of cabin fever we had excitement to learn.
Jul 16, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Edible math projects support the study of fractions, tesselations, tangrams, pi, and probablity! The math concept is explained in simple terms and then the recipe and directions for using it follow. Each section also includes an Appeteaser! Especially loved the activity and trail mix recipe for explaining probablity.
Maggie Burgess
Aug 15, 2015 Maggie Burgess rated it it was ok
Cute idea, but I'm not sure how much kids will really get into it. I'm sure they may want to make the delicious treats (who doesn't want yummy brownies?!) but I'm not sure they'd really care much about the math tie ins. There doesn't feel to be much of a connection to push kids to want to do the math along with the munching.
Margo Dill
Jun 05, 2013 Margo Dill rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT, FUN resource for children to use math at home and learn a bit about cooking, too. I love that these are recipes most kids will actually eat. I also loved the illustrations. They add to the book. The author is planning a series--great idea!
Oct 12, 2011 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, children-ya
I bought this one just because it's cool. Now I have to find a kid who wants to do the projects. Any one have a 10 year old to lend?
Celine Parker
Jan 08, 2014 Celine Parker rated it it was amazing
This author is great at making math fun for kids. The recipes are easy and delicious; I especially love the brownies!
Oct 11, 2011 Tracie rated it really liked it
This is a fun way to think about some advanced math concepts: Fibonacci snack sticks, tessellating two-color brownies, variable pizza pi, probability trail mix, etc.
Lacey Smith
Jul 20, 2012 Lacey Smith added it
Shelves: math
Super fun book full of tasty recipes for little guys and grown ups alike. a nice way to use measurements in the classroom. It also helps show children how math is truly in everything we do!
Mayas rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Susan rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Alisha rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Jackie DeStefano
Jackie DeStefano rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Karen rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Geni rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2011
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2013
Sep 22, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Numbers, math info, recipes. Fun
Knight rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
I really like the concept but I'm not sure a kid would buy into it.
Kaulin rated it really liked it
May 19, 2012
Gabriela Pereira
Gabriela Pereira rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Gina rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Angela rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015