Start by marking “Eat Your Math Homework” as Want to Read:
Eat Your Math Homework

Eat Your Math Homework

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This collection of yummy recipes and fun math facts is sure to tempt taste buds and make you hungry for more. Explore patterns in nature while you chomp on Fibonacci Stack Sticks. Amaze your friends with delicious Variable Pizza Pi! Wash down your geometry assignment with some Milk and Tangram Cookies.

Topics covered include probability, Fibonacci numbers, tessellations, v
Published July 1st 2011 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Your Math Homework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Your Math Homework

Evelyn
Eat Your Math Homework: Recipes for Hungry Minds by Ann McCallum is such an innovative book that can be used to teach students about many different math concepts. It can be used to teach students about how to do fractions with an example of a pizza, and even explains to students about pi. The book can also be used to teach about geometric shapes and allowing students to use tangram cookies. The book also teaches measurement by showing students different recipes to make. I would use this book for ...more
Betsy
Cooking. Math. Not the usual subject matter for a kid browsing the library shelves (though I’ve admittedly had more than one kid ask me for cookbooks, so there’s that). Still and all, when I encounter a book like Eat Your Math Homework I think about its intended audience. Look this book up on a site like Amazon and you’ll learn that it was written for the 9-12 aged set. That may well be, but what you’re dealing with is a picture book, for all practical intents and purposes. So it would be a part ...more
Carol Covin
Math teacher Ann McCallum, in trying to make math less scary for her students and to show their parents, often also afraid of math, how simple it could be, started with "mathematical" gingerbread houses. How many steps led up to the door, what was the length of the perimeter of the roof. She soon realized she had struck on something universal - math is not scary when it is illustrated with food. Her delightfully illustrated book, Eat Your Math Homework, is the result. Sophisticated math concepts ...more
Gema Ramirez
Eat Your Math Homework is a wonderful book that is informative and fun for children of all ages. Math and cooking go hand-in-hand, but the author, Ann McCallum, allows children to learn about cooking and integrates it with a wide range of mathematical topics.

One of my favorite recipes from this book was the "Tessellating Two-Color Brownies. I had no idea what a tessellation was until I read the recipe for it. According to McCallum Pg. 19, "It is a pattern of repeating shapes, or polygons, that
Dolly
Feb 26, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book creatively combines math concepts with different recipes and cooking projects that help children grasp the principles in tangible ways. The narratives are humorous and informative and the cooking projects are simple enough for children to do, although parental supervision is highly recommended.

We really enjoyed reading this book together. I have to admit that we did not tackle any of the projects while reading the book, but the next time we bake brownies, I definitely plan to make a t
Elizabeth Andrew
So clever! Revisit this book again when Gwyn is 8.
Mckinley
Cooking with math, using recipes for food to think about and use math applications.
Melissa
During the recent snowstorm, this book kept my kids happy and entertained, while teaching them math concepts. Doing six very simple recipes (such as fraction chips from tortillas and pizza pi) we ate while talking about how simple math problems could be solved or illustrated with food we eat on a regular basis. The tangram cookies made for interesting shapes, and during a few days, instead of cabin fever we had excitement to learn.
Mallory White
This book is a fantastic way you can show your students that math is used in everyday life. I love how it doesn't deal with the normal math we see in everyday class such as: time, counting, addition and subtraction. It actually shows us how we can use our math and fractions and measurements and bake and also make yummy foods. We could use this if we ever had a math party or on pie day( turn it into fun with fractions)
Lorraine
Even before your child is ready for these math concepts introduce her to this book. Sesame Street suggest talking to young children about math concepts like shapes and sorting early. This book follows a similar principle. You can talk about the ideas long before they need it for the class or the kitchen. A child has everything to gain with this in his home library. Sound cooking ideas are introduced too.
Linda
Edible math projects support the study of fractions, tesselations, tangrams, pi, and probablity! The math concept is explained in simple terms and then the recipe and directions for using it follow. Each section also includes an Appeteaser! Especially loved the activity and trail mix recipe for explaining probablity.
Margo Dill
EXCELLENT, FUN resource for children to use math at home and learn a bit about cooking, too. I love that these are recipes most kids will actually eat. I also loved the illustrations. They add to the book. The author is planning a series--great idea!
Lacey Smith
Jul 20, 2012 Lacey Smith added it
Shelves: math
Super fun book full of tasty recipes for little guys and grown ups alike. a nice way to use measurements in the classroom. It also helps show children how math is truly in everything we do!
Tracie
This is a fun way to think about some advanced math concepts: Fibonacci snack sticks, tessellating two-color brownies, variable pizza pi, probability trail mix, etc.
Lynne
I bought this one just because it's cool. Now I have to find a kid who wants to do the projects. Any one have a 10 year old to lend?
Celine Parker
This author is great at making math fun for kids. The recipes are easy and delicious; I especially love the brownies!
Nativida
Variable Pizza Pi
Tangram Cookies
Fibonacci Snack Sticks
Yum!
Rebecca
Jul 13, 2011 Rebecca marked it as to-read
You had me at "Fibonacci snack sticks."
Lori
Numbers, math info, recipes. Fun
Gaylynn Buys
Gaylynn Buys marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Raigen Wright
Raigen Wright marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Melissa Mcavoy
Melissa Mcavoy marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
June
June marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Beanstalk: The Measure Of A Giant (A Math Adventure) Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere: A Fibonacci Tale The Secret Life Of Math: Discover How (and Why) Numbers Have Survived From the Cave Dwellers to Us!  Double Z: Day of the Mantid Eat Your Science Homework: Recipes for Inquiring Minds