Start by marking “Life After Forty (Christine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Life After Forty (Christine, #1)

Life After Forty (Christine #1)

When Christine's husband of ten years dumps her over the phone while she watches a Hugh Grant film she is sent spinning on a cathartic, self-medicated journey to the land of self-acceptance and self-reliance. Surrounded by her sister and a strong support group of friends, Christine learns how to deal with the horrors of dating, finding new appliances, and the exhilarating ...more
Published April 19th 2011 by AmazonCrossing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Life After Forty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life After Forty

Jana
Feb 09, 2012 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich hatte Urlaub mit Papa von Dora Heldt durch Zufall in einem Hostel gefunden während ich in den letzten drei Monaten dort gereist bin. Weil ich gerade nichts andres las dachte ich mir, ich könnte dieses Buch ja mal anfangen denn es klang wirklich lustig. Ich habe das Buch bereits nach einem Tag durch gehabt weil ich die Geschichte super fand! Total lustig geschrieben und eine super Reiselektüre! Da ich danach rausfand, dass dies jedoch schon der dritte Teil einer ganzen Serie ist, habe ich mir ...more
Cathe Olson
Mar 04, 2011 Cathe Olson rated it it was ok
Given the book description and that this was supposedly a bestseller in Germany, I was expecting an entertaining, poignant read but I struggled through 100 pages and finally gave up. Life is just too short to spend on such bad writing. I don't know if it's the translation or the original book, but this is just painful to read--the dialogue especially. But even more than the bad writing, it's rather hard to feel so much sympathy for the main character. Yes, she is going through a divorce which I ...more
Melissa Hayes
Jul 09, 2012 Melissa Hayes rated it really liked it

This was a predictable book about a woman about to turn forty whose husband leaves her. Her friends help her through the transition to the next phase of her life. It is good to have friends! Just makes me appreciate mine!
Debs
Nov 25, 2011 Debs rated it did not like it
Rubbishpie! Sloppy translation, weak storyline, thin characters. Dont waste your time with this.
Tana Morales lane
Nov 23, 2016 Tana Morales lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Divorce is universal

This was an easy read. A coming to a certain age book, dating and relationships for the 40 something set wonderful perspectives from each pal.
Sho
Aug 13, 2012 Sho added it
Recommends it for: nobody
Oh dear. Where to start?
I got this as a Kindle Deal of the Day (thank goodness, I would have hated to have paid full price for this) and only realised as I started reading that it has been translated from German.

So first to the subject matter: nearly-40-year-old suddenly finds out that her husband wants a divorce. She moves to a flat and lives the single life...

Could be an interesting fluffy, light holiday read.

Now, I am not bilingual, but I am as near as dammit bilingual and I can spot a bad tr
Laurel-Rain
Apr 20, 2011 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting dumped by telephone in the middle of a Hugh Grant film is the beginning of Christine's surprising new journey. Finding answers to why her ten year marriage is ending so inexplicably forces her to reevaluate the life she thought she had and to explore what she wants to do next.

We follow her as she begins living a great single life in Hamburg, even as she approaches her fortieth birthday, and we empathize with her emotions that are, by turns, confusing, lonely, and exhilarating.

Friends hel
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Set in Germany, this international chick lit is a great read for the older chick lit fans! Our main character Christine, finds herself in the midst of a marriage that is falling apart piece by piece. She ends up single in the city about to turn 40 and wondering what to do from there. Her story starts there and ends in a completely different spot, it was fun to see where her journey would take her and who would be with her in the end.

Although I am not one to enjoy a book that doesn't take place
Jane
Sep 05, 2012 Jane rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. I hope something was left out in the translation, because otherwise, the author has written characters and a plot line that would even support a comic strip. My guess is the author decided to try to Germanize "Sex in the City." The city is Hamburg--no complaints about that. The only sex act described in any detail happened when Christine, the lead character, and an old childhood friend, have a lot to drink and decide they "want" each other, ...more
Tomjerry1
Mar 08, 2016 Tomjerry1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich hätte nie gedacht, dass mir dieses Buch so gefallen würde. Ich habe zwar im Vorfeld schon so einiges über Dora Heldt gehört und von ihren Büchern, aber zu diesem Zeitpunkt sprachen sie mich nicht wirklich an. Da ich aber dennoch durch Zufalle an ihre Bücher gekommen bin, habe ich es sie behalten und nun suchte ich einfach etwas kurzweiliges und schnell zu lesen und da dieses Buch nur etwas mehr als 200 Seiten, habe ich einfach mal reingelesen und es erst wieder zur Seite gelegt, als ich ...more
Brina
Jul 29, 2011 Brina rated it it was amazing
Als Christine ein Wochenende bei ihrer Schwester in Hamburg verbringt, ruft sie abends nichtsahnend ihren Mann zuhause an. Doch dieser erklärt ihr ziemlich schnell, dass er sich von ihr trennen will.

Nach einer durchgeweinten Nacht stellt sich Christine der Situation und fährt nach Hause, um das Gespräch mit ihrem Mann zu suchen. Nach einem letzten, scheiternden Gespräch packt Christine ihre Sachen und zieht nach Hamburg, wo sie versucht ein neues Leben zu beginnen. Jedoch ist dies nicht so einfa
Brina
Jul 29, 2011 Brina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Norma Huss
May 30, 2014 Norma Huss rated it liked it
Shelves: non-mystery
I could file this under non-romance. The main character turns forty in the midst of the book, however, in the beginning, her husband calls her while she's on a business trip to break up with her. It's a complete shock to her, although, on reflection, she realizes their romance has rather died down. The story covers the following year, how she handles the situation and others that come up, the new friends, and new life she makes for herself.

This is an English translation of a German best seller.
Miki
Apr 29, 2012 Miki rated it liked it
When your husband of 10 years suddenly dumps you over a phone call, what do you do? For Christine, an almost 40-year old book rep in a small town outside Hamburg, it sets her off on a journey of both the mundane - finding a new apartment, buying furniture, and rediscovering who she is in this new part of her life. Translated from German, this is a quiet book in many ways - a woman reconnecting with her friends, finding new friends, and finding some new version of herself. I enjoyed seeing the ...more
Molly
May 26, 2014 Molly rated it did not like it
I really thought I would enjoy this book, having gone through a similar life change at the same time...but Christine is to whiney for me. She has great friends who rally around her, although they have a total double standard. Christine's husband has been cheating on her and asks for a divorce they are all expectedly outraged. But when Christine is the other woman, they are all fine with it, she should do what makes her feel good.

The book takes place over the course of a year, but it also jumps f
lee madline
Feb 22, 2014 lee madline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I could relate to this book. It was like I was reliving my divorce all over again. But this time it was watching someone else go through w h at I did. So glad I read this book!

Great read
so good to read about someone else going through what I did. this helped me get through some of th o seem s a me f
Valentine8
Für mich das schwächste Buch der Christine-Reihe. Die anderen fand ich viel viel witziger.
Und aus der Gender-Perspektive - Ist da die Botschaft: Frau braucht einen Mann oder genügend Geld und Rotwein, um die Traurigkeit in Luxus-Shopping und Alkohol zu ertränken?
Warum kauft Frau, wenn sie zualledem noch die Ernährerin ist, die zwei Objekte der Begierde nicht schon viel viel früher? Warum verharrt eine so starke Frau so lange in einer unbefriedigenden Beziehung?
Ich verstehe es nicht.
Die Freundinn
Domic
Naja. Kann man sich vorlesen lassen. Auch wenn die nölige Stimme der Autorin nicht so meins ist. Und die Story ist auch irgendwie immer die gleiche bei ihr, hab ich das Gefühl: Enddreissigerin wird aus heiterem Himmel vom Gatten verlassen und entdeckt, dass das Leben ohne Kerl noch viiiiel toller ist. Naja. War ausgeliehen aus der Bücherei, dafür ist es ok. Aber kaufen würde ich mir das nicht. Warum lässt Frau Heldt nicht Caroline Peters nochmal was von ihr lesen - DAS fand ich toll!
Angela
Sep 02, 2016 Angela rated it did not like it
The problem with reading a book in translation is you're never sure when a book is bad, whether it's down to the translation or not. This book is terrible. Incredibly badly written with too many short sentences, too predictable a plot and just too devoid of anything interesting really.
I bought the kindle edition as it cost 99p, and I wanted a quick easy read, but I think even there the price-quality ratio leaves a lot to be desired.
Wendy
Aug 19, 2015 Wendy rated it it was ok
So, I read several reviews that really recommended this book, so I was hoping to get an entertaining read, but this was really disappointing. I've read other books on this theme: women of a certain age starting over or reassessing their lives. The books are usually funny and poignant at times. This just felt like a listing of events in her life, a kind of boring one at that. No insights were gained, none of this made me smile let alone laugh. Just blah.
Susan
May 29, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Typical self-published fare

I found myself wondering as I read Life After Forty whether the writing was translated from German poorly or if the prose was equally stilted in its original form. The author did manage to make a few astute observations about the conditions of living in a long term relationship and the joys of striking out on one's own at midlife. Without them, this book would have rated only a single star.
katalinka
Mar 08, 2016 katalinka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maritim
Das ist meiner Meinung nach leider das schwächste Buch von Dora Heldt. Nahezu deprimierend wird die Scheidung zelebriert und das Eheleben und die Partnerschaft verteufelt.
Dazu gibt es kaum Handlung und ein paar weniger Figuren (die meisten haben gar keine wirkliche Funktion und man verwechselt sie schnell) hätten es auch getan. Außerdem ist die Geschichte ab und an moralisch widersprüchlich. Vom Ehemann betrogen werden ist übel, selbst mit verheirateten Männern schlafen aber völlig okay! :(
Nancy
Jun 11, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it
Good read - wasn't taken away by this one, although I did enjoy some of the characters. Basically a good story of how a newly single woman finds herself again in a newly single life.

Translated from German I believe, which may be why some of it seemed a bit choppy; although it was a good story and spoken to the value of friendship and self-discovery
Michelle
Aug 05, 2016 Michelle rated it did not like it
This book was irritating. Somehow I think its lost in translation from German to English. Some parts of the book I actually skimmed over, followed by a roll of my eyes when Christine goes furniture shopping. I liked that it was set in Germany and Dora did emphasise some of the cities. I did finish the book, just.
Fiona Young-Brown
May 08, 2012 Fiona Young-Brown rated it did not like it
Zero character development. These women spent all day drinking champagne and smoking (cigarettes were mentioned so much that I should have a smoker's cough). They came across as vapid and empty.
Furthermore, there were glaring grammatical errors in parts, either through poor translation or poor editing.
Trevor
Aug 19, 2012 Trevor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Trevor by: Amazon
I am of the opposite demographic that this novel is intended for; therefore, I have an extremely biased review that should be taken with a grain of salt.

With that said, there were some enjoyable moments in this novel; (view spoiler)
Vivian
Jun 20, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Translated from German (a best-seller in Germany), it was witty and charming. After 10 years of marriage, Christine was asked for a divorce. Over the phone. To later find out that her husband has been having an affair with her best friend! With a little help from her friends, she learns what to do with life's lemons and that turning 40 can be fabulous.
Nicole Gozdek
Sep 14, 2012 Nicole Gozdek rated it liked it
Shelves: roman
Na ja, nicht schlecht, aber auch nicht wirklich mitreißend. Ich habe "Life after Forty" schnell durchgehabt, es war eine Lektüre, die vor sich hinplätschert und eignete sich daher gut zum Abschalten. Aber danach muss definitiv was anderes her. Hm, ich glaube, ich habe auch schon 1 oder 2 gute Ideen. ;-)
Emma
Jun 10, 2012 Emma rated it it was ok
I really couldn't quite see the point of this book. It went on and on, at the same banal and everyday level, until the very last line. It is not so much life after forty as life after divorce, and how a middle-class German woman manages to console herself - mainly with sex and large amounts of champagne, wine and beer. I was very bored...or I just missed the subliminal point of it all?
Tessa
Dec 29, 2012 Tessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Die Geschichte war ganz okay, aber nicht wirklich spannend. Durch die anderen Bücher von Dora Heldt bin ich eindeutig besseres gewöhnt. Aber für zwei gemütliche Abende auf dem Sofa, reicht das Buch alle mal.

Der Inhalt war mir eindeutig etwas zu dürftig. Im großen und ganzen ging es zwar um die Trennung der beiden Eheleute, aber mir hat einfach der gewisse Pep gefehlt. Schade.
  • Why I Love Singlehood
  • Cerulean Isle
  • Declaring Spinsterhood
  • Wuthering Heights: The Wild and Wanton Edition
  • Choral Society
  • Agatha Raisin Omnibus: The Quiche of Death, The Potted Gardener, The Vicious Vet and The Walkers of Dembley
  • Marshal of Hel Dorado (Fevered Hearts, #1)
  • Glasgow RAIN: Küsse im Regen
  • Dackelblick (Dackel Herkules, #1)
  • Die Betrogene
  • The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters
  • Before the Witches (Dark Mission 0.5)
  • For Tibet, with Love: A Beginner's Guide to Changing the World
Dora Heldt is the pen name of Bärbel Schmidt, a German author. Her 2009 novel Tante Inge haut ab reached second place on the bestseller list in Germany.
More about Dora Heldt...

Christine (5 books)
  • Inseparable (Christine, #2)
  • Urlaub mit Papa (Christine, #3)
  • Tidal Shift (Christine, #4)
  • Kein Wort zu Papa (Christine, #5)

“Two different lives, held together by the bonds of many years and a shared daily routine. Friendly interaction without physical closeness. Shared plans for holidays and purchases as a way of proving to yourself that you have a future. Day by day, year by year, the same old routine.” 0 likes