Start by marking “I Remember Nothing More: The Warsaw Children's Hospital and the Jewish Resistance” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The author was a young Jewish doctor at the children's hospital in the Warsaw Ghetto from 1940 to 1942. When the hospital was forced to close the children that had survived were taken to the death-camps. Blady-Szwajger became a reluctant courier for the resistance. She left the ghetto and began to carry paper money pinned into her clothing to those in hiding. She and her f ...more
Published March 1st 1992 by Touchstone Books

To ask other readers questions about I Remember Nothing More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Remember Nothing More

Meaghan
This is one of the most haunting Holocaust memoirs I've read, and I've read a lot of them. The author was a newly minted pediatrician at the Warsaw Ghetto Children's Hospital and went on to sneak over to the Aryan side of the city and join the resistance. Curiously, she writes little about herself -- you know nothing about her life before the war and next to nothing about her family, though she does describe her husband's death and mentions that her mother was deported to Treblinka.

To mention ju
Eva Leger
This is one of the most powerful memoirs I've read in my lifetime - easily. The fact that the author didn't put much stock in her writing is amazing to me. Almost as amazing as her story. Her story is far different than the "average" Holocaust memoir in that Blady-Szwajgier's experience was not in a concentration camp. Which isn't to say her life during this time was any less terrifying.
You don't want to miss this memoir!
Christina Sanantonio
It isn't slick or graceful. It is stark memory, written as remembered, honest and disjointed. Powerful.

My favorite passages:

" Years have passed since then. Many years. There's no trace in this great modern city of what happened here. Yes, there is a monument.
But not even a single fragment remains of the wall which separated one third of the residents from the rest; not a vestige of the stone-desert which they made of the place where people lived, fought and died- people who had been there for
Talcott
An account that quite literally moves you- through the vast eras encompassed within a relatively short number of years that made up the terror of the Holocaust. Mrs. Szwajger conveys her experiences in a way that is so breath-taking and real - there is nothing recited here. A complex and horrifying glimpse of a brave woman. An honor to read.
For those with interest in further reading on moral/ethical dilemmas faced by physicians during the holocaust see here: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/
Susan
I think I've made the mistake of judging all books of this type against "The Diary of Anne Frank" as well as the writers.
I didn't care for this book or writings as well as others that I have read like it.
I completely respect and honor the writer and what she went through, but this just didn't seem to capture me the way these stories often do.
I'm sure the experience of what this person went through was far more intense than how she wrote about it.
Abby
Excellent. Fascinating memoir.
Alice
Jul 12, 2010 Alice marked it as to-read
The author of this book inspired the fictional character in the book "The Cats in Krasinski Square" which I read recently.
Denise DeRocher
OMG. Anyone who debunks the Holocaust should be FORCED to read this book - I will say no more.
Noelle
Difficult to follow the writing, but a remarkable book about the terrors we should never forget
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Ellena Navarro
Ellena Navarro marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Corinna Toime
Corinna Toime marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Christine Costello
Christine Costello is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Riv
Riv added it
Aug 05, 2014
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Ewa Sładek
Ewa Sładek marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Rachel Houglum
Rachel Houglum marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014