Start by marking “The Worst Day of My Life Ever!: My Story about Listening and Following Instructions...or Not!” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  10 reviews
RJ has a rough day. He wakes up with gum stuck in his hair, misses recess because he's late to school, earns a zero on his math homework and messes up Mom's kitchen. With his mother's help, RJ learns that his problems happen because he doesn't listen or pay attention to directions. Author Julia Cook's new book shows RJ as well as all K-6 readers the steps to the fundamenta ...more
Published March 10th 2011 by Boys Town Press

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Day of My Life Ever!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst Day of My Life Ever!

Kelsey Vayens
The Worst Day of My LIfe Ever is a picture book that tells the story of a young boy who is having a bad day, from missing the bus to getting gum stuck in his hair. Although I read this book, I can't say it would be very great to have in my particular classroom. While children could relate to this book because everyone can find themselves dealing with hard and tough days where things don't go their way, I feel that this book kept repeating the same underlying message of following directions to th ...more
Kerry
RJ is having a bad day. It seems nothing is going his way. In this story, RJ learns that things don't always work out the way we want and that isn't always easy to accept. I love to use this book with children to help them to also think about the things that do go right on a bad day, and not to focus solely on all the things that don't go our way. Great resource as always.
Molly Z
A listen and follow instructions how to for kids. I especially like when it talks about looking the person in the eye to help listen to what they are saying. It takes a bad day and gives solutions to fix his problems then he has a great day. At the end it has a parent page of tips like don't tell them too many steps at once. Great book!
Megan Brooks
This book is about a young boy who is having a bad day because he does not listen and follow directions. Once he learns the hard way he begins to listen and follow directions. This book has a good message without being too preachy.
Donalisa Helsley
The Worst Day of My Life Ever is another story about RJ who is having a really bad day. What he learns is that a lot of his problems come from him not listening or following directions. This story teaches the important lesson about listening and following directions. I love how it teaches children to be responsible for their actions, own their mistakes and take control of their day. Also I like how the book explains that hearing is not the same as listening. This book also ends with tips for par ...more
Laura Osborn
Audience: The audience for this book would be early primary aged children, especially kindergarten or first graders. I think teachers would find this useful, especially at the beginning of the year when rules are being set down for the room.

Appeal: The appeal of this book would be a funny story with a great lesson---the art of listening and following directions. The pictures tell the story alone, but the written words bring the story to life. Most of the children listening to it would relate to
Gaby Roman
This would be a book I would read to my students at the beginning of the year, I would talk to my students about their emotions and how some days people just have a bad day and it's normal. I would also have my students make up some class rules so they can better understand the importance of listening. This may help with students who always feel like something is going wrong, when in realilty they may not be paying attention or listening very carefully.
Erin
Perfect book to pull out when your students need a little reminder about listening skills.
C.
great story about the importance of listening and following directions
Annie Matthews
Annie Matthews marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Kate Drake
Kate Drake marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Eufratia
Eufratia marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Melissa Wohlgemut
Melissa Wohlgemut marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Lorna
Lorna marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Stacey
Stacey added it
Dec 14, 2014
leaphy phillips
leaphy phillips marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Dween18
Dween18 marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Roberta Zimmerly
Roberta Zimmerly marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Niveedita Killekar
Niveedita Killekar marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Mirela
Mirela is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2014
Kristine Parkin
Kristine Parkin marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
My Mouth Is a Volcano! A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling I Just Don't Like the Sound of No! My Story About Accepting No for an Answer and Disagreeing the Right Way! (Best Me I Can Be) Personal Space Camp: Teaching Children the Concepts of Personal Space It's Hard to Be a Verb!