Start by marking “Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War: Selected Writings and Speeches” as Want to Read:
Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War: Selected Writings and Speeches

Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War: Selected Writings and Speeches

Letting Lincoln's eloquent voice speak for itself, editor Michael Johnson has collected more than 180 of the writings and speeches that illuminate Lincoln’s life and career, from his youth to his entry into Republican politics and through his presidency. Classics like the Kansas-Nebraska speech, the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, and the Gettysburg Address, along with less famil
Published September 15th 2000 by Bedford/St. Martin's (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War

Elisa
I’m not going to lie, I didn’t make it through this. After 100 pages I just couldn’t read anymore of the racist and conciliatory and compromising rhetoric. I’m not American and I don’t subscribe to the cult of Lincoln so that probably worked against me. The Gettysburg sparked a bit of hope in me that it might get better but the battle was already lost. I can’t imagine that I’ll open this up again, but who knows?
Joseph Scipione
Jul 16, 2013 Joseph Scipione rated it liked it
Upon first look Lincoln appears to be a complete racist. A deeper look at the documents contained in this book shows that he had slightly different messages for different groups of people. A true politician Lincoln knew he didn't have to say the same things to every audience, there was no 24 hours news cycle, no twitter, no way to make sure his story was always the same, and it wasn't.
Anisa
Some people might hate me for saying this, but honestly this was so dry and boring. I had such a hard time getting through this book. And I know I'm not the only one. Many of my friends and peers felt the same way. I'm sorry to say that this book was very disappointing.
Eric
Jan 08, 2013 Eric added it
This is an excellent book to own. If you want to know what Lincoln thought, and his views on Black Americans....don't go to the movies...read his words!
Tom Mackie
The collection, though not complete is very illustrative of the more recent challenges to the image of Lincoln as a white racist.
Jonathan Fidis
Jonathan Fidis is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2016
Mia Love
Mia Love marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Mark Glowacky
Mark Glowacky is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Vince
Vince marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Rebecca Tversky
Rebecca Tversky marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Laura Galloway
Laura Galloway is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Alex Duenas
Alex Duenas marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Anna & Ryan
Anna & Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Patrick Gordon
Patrick Gordon rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
EcoDesk Pomona
EcoDesk Pomona marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Tomáš Zemko
Tomáš Zemko marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Will Krakower
Will Krakower rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2015
Matt Friedman
Matt Friedman marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Allen Jackson
Allen Jackson marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Romaissa
Romaissa rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Alexandra MacVean
Alexandra MacVean rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate Stat ...more
More about Abraham Lincoln...