Start by marking “Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War: Selected Writings and Speeches” as Want to Read:
Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War: Selected Writings and Speeches

Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War: Selected Writings and Speeches

Letting Lincoln's eloquent voice speak for itself, editor Michael Johnson has collected more than 180 of the writings and speeches that illuminate Lincoln’s life and career, from his youth to his entry into Republican politics and through his presidency. Classics like the Kansas-Nebraska speech, the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, and the Gettysburg Address, along with less famil
Published September 15th 2000 by Bedford/St. Martin's (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abraham Lincoln, Slavery, and the Civil War

Elisa
I’m not going to lie, I didn’t make it through this. After 100 pages I just couldn’t read anymore of the racist and conciliatory and compromising rhetoric. I’m not American and I don’t subscribe to the cult of Lincoln so that probably worked against me. The Gettysburg sparked a bit of hope in me that it might get better but the battle was already lost. I can’t imagine that I’ll open this up again, but who knows?
Joseph Scipione
Jul 16, 2013 Joseph Scipione rated it liked it
Upon first look Lincoln appears to be a complete racist. A deeper look at the documents contained in this book shows that he had slightly different messages for different groups of people. A true politician Lincoln knew he didn't have to say the same things to every audience, there was no 24 hours news cycle, no twitter, no way to make sure his story was always the same, and it wasn't.
Anisa
Some people might hate me for saying this, but honestly this was so dry and boring. I had such a hard time getting through this book. And I know I'm not the only one. Many of my friends and peers felt the same way. I'm sorry to say that this book was very disappointing.
Eric
Jan 08, 2013 Eric added it
This is an excellent book to own. If you want to know what Lincoln thought, and his views on Black Americans....don't go to the movies...read his words!
Tom Mackie
The collection, though not complete is very illustrative of the more recent challenges to the image of Lincoln as a white racist.
Chelsey
Chelsey rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Taryn Clunas
Taryn Clunas rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Jennifer rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2010
David Rubin
David Rubin rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2013
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
John Holod
John Holod rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Madison Morton
Madison Morton rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2016
Tj
Tj rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Mohammed
Mohammed rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Waverly Tracey
Waverly Tracey rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2013
David Nichols
David Nichols rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Asails F
Asails F rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Romaissa
Romaissa rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Nimboo
Nimboo rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2016
Philiya
Philiya rated it liked it
May 21, 2013
Tally
Tally rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2012
Rafael Suleiman
Rafael Suleiman rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Juan M
Juan M rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
jess
jess rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2014
Audra
Audra rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate ...more
More about Abraham Lincoln...