A Convenient Wife

A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: Historicals #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  11 reviews

All she wanted was a kitchen to run and a garden to tend
But when Doc Gray offered his name to her and the baby she carried, Ellie Mitchum was overwhelmed. How could she, a girl of "a certain reputation," ever be the kind of wife he needed--and deserved?
Winston Gray knew that Ellie was the answer to his prayers. His life required a woman's touch; she needed a man to prote...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Silhouette Montana Mavericks (first published November 1st 2001)

Jacqueline
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ Sometimes simple and sweet is just my cuppa tea and this story is both those things – with the added bonus of having a touch of spice. Carolyn Davidson, a favorite author when I’m seeking turn-of-the-century rural America, didn’t let me down with this one. Her style and tone are subtle, and such that she weaves a sense of ambience into the everyday life of the characters; effortlessly bringing to life the setting in this period piece.

Built in 1897; a beautiful example of Queen Anne style a...more
Ridley
Written at a 5th grade reading level, full of anachronisms and way too over-reliant on external conflict. The romance is pretty much concluded by page 90. All that holds off the end of the book is a half-baked kidnapping plot and the birth of the baby.

I should knock this down to one star for its shameless treatment of American Indian themes. The secondary character Ruth is some kind of magical healer, mind-reader and future-seer, natch, and is used as a focal point of a patently ridiculous preju...more
Ruth
Carolyn Davidson is the master of tender romances that make me fall in love with the hero. This book is no exception to this. The doctor is a good guy who sees a young pregnant woman who's been thrown out of her father's house. He offers her a place to work and stay and keeps his distance. The father of the baby returns and to protect her, the doctor marries her. What is great is that the hero was a virgin. They aren't that easy to find. What's even better is that the message of forgiveness and...more
Sasha
Really very sweet. A lovely heartwarming book.
Angela
It was so much more than just a tale of a man needing a womans touch, Dr. Gray was honestly concerned for the girl who lived in his home. Concerned that the talk of the town would hurt her, worried that people would be mean. So he offers the only solution that he believes will settle the rumors and give the girl a permanent place to live. It is a riveting tale that I could again and again.
Marie
I really liked this book. I suppose it's the knight in shining armour idea of a man saving a badly treated woman from a terrible life. I like the chemistry between Ellie and Winston. I thought the story line was good, and I liked the character development. It's definitely a feel good book. And Carolyn Davidson was at her best for the steamy sex scenes.
Christopher
Well literature it is not, but A Convenient Wife does offer a sweet and fairly wholesome romance on the frontier.
Kathryn
good book. Not a waste of time. Nice for one that wasn't as emotional as some of the others I've read recently. :)
Kira
The only excuse for this book having been written the way it was, is if the author was a blind drunk.
Janet
Pretty mucked up plot ... with gazillion couples from former books. OK, just ok.
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Neferetrose
Neferetrose marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Ale Snape li
Ale Snape li marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Rafayet Tarafder
Rafayet Tarafder marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Cassidy Wallace
Cassidy Wallace marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides, #2)
  • Two Texas Hearts
  • Winter Woman
  • The Way Home
  • Colorado Dawn (Runaway Brides, #2)
  • The Barefoot Bride
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Montana Mavericks Weddings
  • Lily and the Major (Orphan Train, #1)
  • Where the Wind Blows (Prairie Hearts, #1)
  • Bride Of Shadow Canyon (Bride, #1)
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • Shotgun Wedding
  • Rafe's Redemption
Carolyn Davidson began writing in 1986, knowing absolutely nothing about the craft. Her first three books were rejected by Harlequin.

She met Dixie Browning at a Harlequin dinner in Charleston, South Carolina, and told Dixie she was writing, but that she feared she was too old to begin such an undertaking. Dixie's response spurred Carolyn to pursue her dream. Dixie said, in her own inimitable fashi...more
More about Carolyn Davidson...
The Midwife The Wedding Promise Redemption Big Sky Grooms (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals) Eden