Start by marking “A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)

A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  8,456 ratings  ·  593 reviews
Welcome to Spindle Cove, where the ladies with delicate constitutions come for the sea air, and men in their prime are... nowhere to be found. Or are they?

Published August 30th 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about A Night to Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Night to Surrender

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
2011 Romance
42nd out of 385 books — 815 voters
A Lot like Love by Julie JamesBreaking Point by Pamela ClareHead Over Heels by Jill ShalvisShadowfever by Karen Marie MoningLover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
Top 3 Romance Reads - 2011
55th out of 610 books — 1,057 voters

More lists with this book...

Karla
I thought I was being so cute when I took a GR buddy up on a dare to read this one if she would read Led Astray by a Rake by Sara Bennett. We're not exactly sure who got the short end of the stick in this affair. I think the Bennett book probably has bigger font, so I got shafted this go-round. When we meet next time, GR Buddy, it will be YOU at a disadvantage.

As I read this, I thought it was a lot like a Doris Day-Rock Hudson comedy, except in costumes and with little of the wit and charm and a
Catherine
"We have to get out of here, Bram. Before they take our bollocks and use them for pincushions."

Bram made his way to the nearest wall and propped one shoulder against it, resting his knee. Damn, that climb had been steep. "Let me understand this," he said, discreetly rubbing his aching thigh under the guise of brushing off loose dirt. "You're suggesting we leave because the village is full of spinsters? Since when do you complain about an excess of women?"

"These are not your normal spinsters. The
Jill

From the opening paragraphs the tone is set for this wonderful, funny, completely delightful story -

Bram stared into a pair of wide, dark eyes. Eyes that reflected a surprising glimmer of intelligence. This might be the rare female a man could reason with.

"Now, then," he said. "We can do this the easy way, or we can make things difficult."

With a soft snort, she turned her head. It was as if he'd ceased to exist.

"Listen sharp, now." He gave her ear a rough tweak and sank his voice to a l
UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

Keepin' this short...

A Night to Surrender is the first book in Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series, and a funny, sexy, poignant story! And when I say funny, I mean laugh-out-loud funny! Bram and Susanna are wonderful people who captured my heart, and I couldn't get enough of them. But truth be told, the entire cast of characters is so intriguing, so compelling, so in need of happily ever afters, that I absolutely must read their stories, too.

Honestly, stories like this is why historical romance is
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Audible edition**

*4.5*

Wow, this book marks a momentous occasion for me: I finally found a M/F historical romance that I could fall in love with!

I get it now, folks, I get it. I finally understand why people read those books with the old-fashioned, bosomy women on the cover, embraced with some semi-naked man.

A lot readers get into romance through different ways. Many of my friends cut their teeth on historical romance or harlequin romances. I, however, found my way to romance through urban fant
Shawna
4 ½ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Another satisfying, steamy read from Tessa Dare and a great start to a promising new series! I loved the unique storyline, quaint setting, humor, quirky secondary characters, and especially the passionate, fun, and believable romance between a gruff, alpha military hero and spirited spinster heroine, who were perfectly suited for each other and totally combustible together.

I can't wait for the next book, A Week to Be Wicked, to come out! 4 ½ stars!
Nadine Jones
Wow, with this book I went from: (1) I don't expect much from this book, to (2) wow this actually isn't bad! I think I'll like it!, to (3) OMG I can't believe the suckage here, but maybe it gets better, to (4) I must stop reading, I can't stand it any longer.

At the start, I enjoyed this book FAR more than I expected. It made it to my list by a recommendation (can't remember from where ... Julia Quinn maybe?) but I didn't expect much. I'll be honest, the author's name sounds so made up and over-
Duchess Nicole
Yay, I found a new author to love! I swear, something about the historical romance genre makes the titles/covers/stories blur together sometimes. Within a few pages of A Night to Surrender, I knew this author writes a bit different than the norm. She managed to make me laugh numerous times. The banter between Susanna and Bram is a happy kind of back and forth and totally chuckle worthy.

So then I settled in with my cup of coffee last night to finish the book, halfway through and comfortable with
Rachel (BAVR)
This book has been taking up room on my eReader for a couple months now because I just ... can't ... finish ... it. Reading about these characters just made me want to pull my hair out, which is sad because I enjoy Tessa Dare's prose.

SUMMARY:
Miss Susanna Finch is an unlikely spinster heroine who pretty much runs an unlikely little towned (nicknamed Spinsters Cove) with a group of unlikely spinster girls who like to live away from men as spinsters and be merry (and unlikely). It's explained that
Ridley
Maybe I shouldn't rate this, since I only got 20% of the way in before I gave up, but it seems about right. It's competently written, in the sense that the spelling and grammar are correct, the dialog sounds like speech and the characters are at least a bit compelling, and nothing about the story really offends me. That much generally earns at least two stars, even if the rest of the book is a lazy, cliched, big dumb mess. It's a bad book, but it's a harmless one, so two stars it is.

Despite what
edzkie♥§*.*§♥
“I’ve never met a woman like you. You’re so much like me. It’s as though we’re two examples of some rare, exotic breed. Only I’m the male specimen, and you’re the female. Clever as you are, you must know what that means.”
“Enlighten me.”
“It means we should mate. We have a responsibility to Nature.”

5++++++ FUN-FUN-FUNTASTIC STAR!! I've read a week to be wicked before this. I love Minerva and my "amnesia boy" Colin, but I now love Bram and Susanna more. I was swooning,grinning lol-ing, "awwww'-ing
Ana

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the painfully shy, young wives disenchanted with matrimony, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men; it is a haven for those who live there.

Victor Bramwell, the new Earl of Rycliff, knows he doesn't belong here. So far as he can tell, there's not
Laura the Highland Hussy

Review posted on Demon Lover's Books & More

I’ve wanted to read this one for a while, and the other night I was flipping through to see if it was what I wanted to read before bed. *sigh* I should have known you can’t just “flip through” one of Tessa Dare’s books. I was up til 1 am where I had to stop because my eyes literally wouldn’t focus any longer. In fact, I think the same could be said of all 3 books in this series, since I read them all in the same week.

Susanna is the only daughter of
KatLynne
4.5 Stars

Finally getting around to the first installment in one of my favorite HR series. Another funny, sexy, poignant romance that I enjoyed from beginning to end.

Thanks again, Jilly for leading me to these great reads:)! I read them all out of order and enjoyed many hours of fun escapism.
Chumchum_88
People first thing to do is let me say THANK GOD!!! And thank you for the person who recommended this series for me, Lady Wesley.

This was a very well written book, I loved it from the first page, I just couldn't drop it for a slip of a second. If I say so myself this series came at the right time, I felt deprived of humorous, funny, fluffy, and adorable books of late.

The best thing I loved about this book is how humorous it was. I just couldn't keep a straight face even in public and literally I
HankLover
Delightfully humorous! I haven't laughed this much during reading a romance novel in a while. Tessa Dare is now one of my new favorite authors.
Wendy
A lovely start to what I am sure is going to be a wonderful series, and which I am assured by my small band of favourite reviewers, I am going to love, the series apparently getting better as it goes on.

My first Tessa Dare and a delicious find, Ms. Dare has a quite unique way of engaging her characters in a witty, funny and endearing dialogue. Reading other reviewers, we apparently fall into two camps, love and hate, well I am firmly in the former. It was a charming page turner of a novel and my
A Night to Surrender is Ms. Dare's seventh historical romance and the beginning of her third series. I have liked every single one of her books so I was excited to read her newest and let me say that this is my favorite Tessa Dare book so far! I loved everything about it: the characters, the setting, the plot. It completely drew me in and left me scrambling for more. Okay...enough rambling...on to the actual review!

Much of this book contains both Bram's effort to find and train volunteers for h
Mei
Oh, I just love how TD writes! :)

The banter, the story, the hetness... everything is so wonderfuly done!

“We have to get out of here, Bram. Before they take our bollocks and use them for pincushions.”
Bram made his way to the nearest wall and propped one shoulder against it, resting his knee. Damn, that climb had been steep. “Let me understand this,” he said, discreetly rubbing his aching thigh under the guise of brushing off loose dirt. “You’re suggesting we leave because the village is full of
☆3.5 stars☆

Tessa Dare was one of those authors whose books I never thought I would ever read. Like ever! But I'm glad I gave her a try. Yes there were some things I didn't like about this one, I felt like most of the story was flat and there lacked substance. I like a lot of romance in my novels and there wasn't enough of it between Bram and Susanna. I want fireworks and ripping each others clothes off sort of chemistry between my hero and heroine! This book reminded me a lot of Julia Quinn's wr
Samantha

Super cute. I think I will be reading more historical romance in 2014, especially by Tessa Dare!

I also just want to say that I am so so very glad I live in an age with modern medicine. Screw leeches and blood-letting.
NiteReader
3++ Stars
I really wish I liked it more than I do. It was a good read but not a great one. But I will most certainly continue the series.
Minna
Oct 29, 2014 Minna rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of purple prose
UGH. The Purple is strong, with this one. I just can't read another page. I thought, based on the GR reviews, that I was missing something... but 2/3 of the way through, and after reading this excellent review , I know it wasn't just me.

Too much self-indulgent hate-lusting; too much meandering contemplation, too much leisurely description of physical attributes, too much "arse" (just say ASS, you pansy), too much g-d "succulent globes." BREASTS ARE NOT GLOBES UNLESS YOU GET PAMELA ANDERSON STYL
Beanbag Love
This is a light read with a healthy dose of Dare's humor included. The dialog can be anachronistic at times, and the plot can be thin, but this author has a way with a situation that can make you laugh out loud.

Victor Bramwell comes to Spindle Cove to attempt to convince his late father's old friend -- Sir Lewis Finch -- to use his contacts to help "Bram" return to his command after a fairly devastating injury. In the process, he meets Sir Lewis's daughter, Susannah and the sparks immediately fl
Irena
2.5 (I have an excuse)
I can't move past I like it. I don't want to rate a book lower because I am really not sure whether I would like it more if I read it where I didn't have to watch over other people. It could be that since I've read the whole book on the bus full of fifteen to seventeen-year-olds, my attention was divided. Maybe they are too loud, I don't know. So I'll blame this on them and read it again later.

I loved the humour. The beginning surprised me so much that I laughed aloud.

In
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
May 06, 2014 Camila, the opinionated Catruler rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of HRs, strong female leads, barbaric heroes, unconventional villages, and funny banter.
All I'm saying is that beds are comfortable and clean. I would highly recommend them to Susanna and Bram, who seem not to know about them. Grass and abandoned castles may seem very romantic, but they're certainly not tidy.

Also, there's a pet sheep called Dinner. I shit you not.
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Great start to the Spindle Cove series!
Manisha
"I want you", he said simply. Starkly. Composure-destroyingly.

WOW!!!! This historical romance goes to my top of the list of BEST HISTORICAL ROMANCE EVER! No no, make that BEST ROMANCE EVER!!!

This was my first book by Miss Dare and am hooked for life. :)
And after reading the whole series I can say with absolute certainty, that what she writes is absolutely MAGIC!!
I can absolutely believe it now that there was a village called SPINDLE COVE in England during that era and there lived some unconve
Bekah
3.25*

Susanna Finch has made a home for herself and other young ladies of society who have been rejected for one reason or another be it illness or unladylike interests in Spindle Cove where they can freely be themselves and flourish from the sea air. However, her quiet, peaceful little village is about to be overrun with men. Militia men to be exact, the last thing Spindle Cove needs. And there is one man to blame: Victor Bramwell. Instead of running him out of town though, she finds herself run
Natalie
OH MY GOD THIS BOOK. THIS BOOK.

Such an amazing and awesome book.

(Review has no spoilers, but there are three quotations from the text.)

Susanna Finch (not a noble!) lives in the small town of Spindle Cove with her father, a noted munitions expert. They moved there a number of years ago, after Susanna's short and disastrous stay with relatives the year after her mother died (details of what happened with her relatives are revealed about halfway through the book).

Enter Victor Bramwell--Bram for s
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Nearly a Lady
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Bring Him Home
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • The Duke's Tattoo (The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , #1)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
Note: Tessa has a Goodreads group! All readers welcome.

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twelve historical romance novels and four novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award and multiple RT Book Reviews Reviewer’s Choice Awards. Booklist magazine named her one of the “new stars of historical rom
More about Tessa Dare...
A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2) One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1) A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3) Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4) Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)

“No, Susanna, " he said. "I cannot love you just a little. If that's what you want, you must find a different man." His green eyes were breathtaking in their intensity. His thumb brushed her bottom lip. "Because I can only love you entirely. With everything I am, and everything I ever will be. Body, mind, heart, soul.” 40 likes
“No, no. Don't make that face. Every time I propose to you, you make that twisty, unhappy face. It wears on a man's confidence.” 34 likes