Start by marking “A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)

A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,800 Ratings  ·  841 Reviews
Welcome to Spindle Cove, where the ladies with delicate constitutions come for the sea air, and men in their prime are... nowhere to be found. Or are they?

Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published August 30th 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about A Night to Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Night to Surrender

Karla
I thought I was being so cute when I took a GR buddy up on a dare to read this one if she would read Led Astray by a Rake by Sara Bennett. We're not exactly sure who got the short end of the stick in this affair. I think the Bennett book probably has bigger font, so I got shafted this go-round. When we meet next time, GR Buddy, it will be YOU at a disadvantage.

As I read this, I thought it was a lot like a Doris Day-Rock Hudson comedy, except in costumes and with little of the wit and charm and a
Jill
Sep 06, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it

From the opening paragraphs the tone is set for this wonderful, funny, completely delightful story -

Bram stared into a pair of wide, dark eyes. Eyes that reflected a surprising glimmer of intelligence. This might be the rare female a man could reason with.

"Now, then," he said. "We can do this the easy way, or we can make things difficult."

With a soft snort, she turned her head. It was as if he'd ceased to exist.

"Listen sharp, now." He gave her ear a rough tweak and sank his voice to a l
Catherine
"We have to get out of here, Bram. Before they take our bollocks and use them for pincushions."

Bram made his way to the nearest wall and propped one shoulder against it, resting his knee. Damn, that climb had been steep. "Let me understand this," he said, discreetly rubbing his aching thigh under the guise of brushing off loose dirt. "You're suggesting we leave because the village is full of spinsters? Since when do you complain about an excess of women?"

"These are not your normal spinsters. The
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Audible edition**

*4.5*

Wow, this book marks a momentous occasion for me: I finally found a M/F historical romance that I could fall in love with!

I get it now, folks, I get it. I finally understand why people read those books with the old-fashioned, bosomy women on the cover, embraced with some semi-naked man.

A lot readers get into romance through different ways. Many of my friends cut their teeth on historical romance or harlequin romances. I, however, found my way to romance through urban fant
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Keepin' this short...

A Night to Surrender is the first book in Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series, and a funny, sexy, poignant story! And when I say funny, I mean laugh-out-loud funny! Bram and Susanna are wonderful people who captured my heart, and I couldn't get enough of them. But truth be told, the entire cast of characters is so intriguing, so compelling, so in need of happily ever afters, that I absolutely must read their stories, too.

Honestly, stories like this is why historical romance is
Future-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
Mar 31, 2016 Future-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ rated it really liked it
Recommended to Future-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ by: Joanita
Where has historical romance been all my life?

Seriously, you guys? Why did no one tell me how amazing it can be?

This book was magical.

I LOVED IT.

Bram. Oh! You stupid, stubborn idiot. I love you. I'd let you ravage me any day. Loves. Get in the man-dungeon.

Susanna. A woman after my own heart. She is doing her part to help women who don't fit the mold that society wants to put them in, be themselves and escape the horrific "cures" that those in the medical world want to inflict upon them. She's
♥Rachel♥
Sep 07, 2015 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it
Tessa Dare continues to dazzle! No formal review just a few of my favorite quotes which (fair warning) are spoilery:

"Susanna fair. I want to hear you say you're mine."
She framed his face in her hands and looked him in the eye. "I'll say this. I claim sole possession of my body, my heart, and my soul. And tonight, I choose to share them all with you."

The word "like" did not communicate an unspoken connection of similar minds, or an obsessive attention to freckles. It certainly didn't encompass th
Shawna
4 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Another satisfying, steamy read from Tessa Dare and a great start to a promising new series! I loved the unique storyline, quaint setting, humor, quirky secondary characters, and especially the passionate, fun, and believable romance between a gruff, alpha military hero and spirited spinster heroine, who were perfectly suited for each other and totally combustible together.

I can't wait for the next book, A Week to Be Wicked, to come out! 4 stars!
Nadine Jones
Wow, with this book I went from: (1) I don't expect much from this book, to (2) wow this actually isn't bad! I think I'll like it!, to (3) OMG I can't believe the suckage here, but maybe it gets better, to (4) I must stop reading, I can't stand it any longer.

At the start, I enjoyed this book FAR more than I expected. It made it to my list by a recommendation (can't remember from where ... Julia Quinn maybe?) but I didn't expect much. I'll be honest, the author's name sounds so made up and over-
mich
This book was SO CUTE! It was really funny too, I cracked up several times, like momentary uncontrollable laughing. The humor was great and the best thing about this book to me.

I enjoyed the story and the romance as well, BUT, I can’t give it more than 3 stars cuz maaaan, somewhere around the 70% mark in my kindle, I just sorta fell out of it and became really bored. The tension seemed to have fled the story by then, and it felt like nothing was really happening.

I struggled to get back into it
Duchess Nicole
Yay, I found a new author to love! I swear, something about the historical romance genre makes the titles/covers/stories blur together sometimes. Within a few pages of A Night to Surrender, I knew this author writes a bit different than the norm. She managed to make me laugh numerous times. The banter between Susanna and Bram is a happy kind of back and forth and totally chuckle worthy.

So then I settled in with my cup of coffee last night to finish the book, halfway through and comfortable with
Anna Casanovas
Feb 27, 2016 Anna Casanovas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probablemente 4 1/2 estrellas.
Compré "Una noche nada más" este verano porque lo vi en oferta en una librería, me gustó la portada (superficial, sí, pero a menudo un detalle importante), y me llamó la atención que la novela había ganado el RITA en 2012.
La historia de "Una noche nada más" es muy original ya que tiene la valentía de reírse, con elegancia y sutileza, de muchos clichés de las novelas de Regencia. El argumento no es, sin embargo, en exceso elaborado, en realidad es muy simple, pero l
Rachel (BAVR)
This book has been taking up room on my eReader for a couple months now because I just ... can't ... finish ... it. Reading about these characters just made me want to pull my hair out, which is sad because I enjoy Tessa Dare's prose.

SUMMARY:
Miss Susanna Finch is an unlikely spinster heroine who pretty much runs an unlikely little towned (nicknamed Spinsters Cove) with a group of unlikely spinster girls who like to live away from men as spinsters and be merry (and unlikely). It's explained that
Laura the Highland Hussy
Aug 20, 2012 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it it was amazing

Review posted on Demon Lover's Books & More

I’ve wanted to read this one for a while, and the other night I was flipping through to see if it was what I wanted to read before bed. *sigh* I should have known you can’t just “flip through” one of Tessa Dare’s books. I was up til 1 am where I had to stop because my eyes literally wouldn’t focus any longer. In fact, I think the same could be said of all 3 books in this series, since I read them all in the same week.

Susanna is the only daughter of
Jamie
Dec 02, 2015 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-not-read-yet
LOVED THIS!!!!

Jennifer Leighton
Delightfully humorous! I haven't laughed this much during reading a romance novel in a while. Tessa Dare is now one of my new favorite authors.
Ridley
Sep 09, 2012 Ridley rated it it was ok
Maybe I shouldn't rate this, since I only got 20% of the way in before I gave up, but it seems about right. It's competently written, in the sense that the spelling and grammar are correct, the dialog sounds like speech and the characters are at least a bit compelling, and nothing about the story really offends me. That much generally earns at least two stars, even if the rest of the book is a lazy, cliched, big dumb mess. It's a bad book, but it's a harmless one, so two stars it is.

Despite what
Ana
Dec 29, 2011 Ana rated it really liked it

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the painfully shy, young wives disenchanted with matrimony, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men; it is a haven for those who live there.

Victor Bramwell, the new Earl of Rycliff, knows he doesn't belong here. So far as he can tell, there's not
edzkie♥§*.*§♥
“I’ve never met a woman like you. You’re so much like me. It’s as though we’re two examples of some rare, exotic breed. Only I’m the male specimen, and you’re the female. Clever as you are, you must know what that means.”
“Enlighten me.”
“It means we should mate. We have a responsibility to Nature.”

5++++++ FUN-FUN-FUNTASTIC STAR!! I've read a week to be wicked before this. I love Minerva and my "amnesia boy" Colin, but I now love Bram and Susanna more. I was swooning,grinning lol-ing, "awwww'-in
KatLynne
4.5 Stars

Finally getting around to the first installment in one of my favorite HR series. Another funny, sexy, poignant romance that I enjoyed from beginning to end.

Thanks again, Jilly for leading me to these great reads:)! I read them all out of order and enjoyed many hours of fun escapism.
Mei
Sep 29, 2014 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Oh, I just love how TD writes! :)

The banter, the story, the hetness... everything is so wonderfuly done!

“We have to get out of here, Bram. Before they take our bollocks and use them for pincushions.”
Bram made his way to the nearest wall and propped one shoulder against it, resting his knee. Damn, that climb had been steep. “Let me understand this,” he said, discreetly rubbing his aching thigh under the guise of brushing off loose dirt. “You’re suggesting we leave because the village is full of
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
A Night to Surrender is Ms. Dare's seventh historical romance and the beginning of her third series. I have liked every single one of her books so I was excited to read her newest and let me say that this is my favorite Tessa Dare book so far! I loved everything about it: the characters, the setting, the plot. It completely drew me in and left me scrambling for more. Okay...enough rambling...on to the actual review!

Much of this book contains both Bram's effort to find and train volunteers for h
HÜLYA
Jun 28, 2016 HÜLYA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Konusu oldukça değişik bir romandı..Bayıldım...Yazarın diğer kitaplarını da bir an önce okumak istiyorum..Yazarı bu kadar beğeneceğimi tahmin etmiyordum.
NiteReader
Nov 18, 2014 NiteReader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to NiteReader by: Mei
3++ Stars
I really wish I liked it more than I do. It was a good read but not a great one. But I will most certainly continue the series.
Joanita
May 26, 2016 Joanita rated it really liked it
“You’re not getting away. Not yet.” His deep voice sent ripples through the water. “We’re going to have this out, you and me. Right here. Right now. I’m going to tell you every wild, erotic, depraved thought you’ve inspired, and then you’re going to run home scared. Lock your bedchamber door and stay there for the next month so I can concentrate and do my damned duty.”

For Susanna Finch Spindle Cove is her home, her refuge from a society where she didn’t fit in. And she would do anything to ke

Gillian

Rounding up a bit just because I love Tessa Dare and I still love her characters (minus Susanna and Bram, because whatever), but yikes. It took me over a week to muddle through this. I actually quit and jumped ahead to A Week to be Wicked, which was definitely the right life choice. Sigh.

This is the first (and, hopefully, only, since I've loved all of her other books SO MUCH) Tessa Dare novel that simply did not work for me. The only thing i liked was the setting, Spindle Cove, and the introduct
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Oct 26, 2015 Jen (Red Hot Books) rated it really liked it
If you are looking for an engaging historical romance, with interesting and fleshed out characters, you can count on Tessa Dare. Not only does she give us a couple we can root for, she makes them sympathetic, sexy, and entertaining in equal measure. The premise is great. The dialogue is snappy. And it held my attention from the first page until the last.

This is the first book in Dare’s Spindle Cove series. This is a sleepy little town that serves as something of a haven for ladies who don’t quit
Chumchum_88
Aug 10, 2014 Chumchum_88 rated it it was amazing
People first thing to do is let me say THANK GOD!!! And thank you for the person who recommended this series for me, Lady Wesley.

This was a very well written book, I loved it from the first page, I just couldn't drop it for a slip of a second. If I say so myself this series came at the right time, I felt deprived of humorous, funny, fluffy, and adorable books of late.

The best thing I loved about this book is how humorous it was. I just couldn't keep a straight face even in public and literally I
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Mar 13, 2016 Camila, the opinionated Catruler rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of HRs, strong female leads, barbaric heroes, unconventional villages, and funny banter.
All I'm saying is that beds are comfortable and clean. I would highly recommend them to Susanna and Bram, who seem not to know about them. Grass and abandoned castles may seem very romantic, but they're certainly not tidy.

Also, there's a pet sheep called Dinner. I shit you not.
Samantha

Super cute. I think I will be reading more historical romance in 2014, especially by Tessa Dare!

I also just want to say that I am so so very glad I live in an age with modern medicine. Screw leeches and blood-letting.
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare 1 3 Apr 17, 2014 09:01AM
The Challenge Fac...: Christina & Gea - A Night to Surrender 19 24 Nov 14, 2013 08:01AM
Q&A with Tessa Dare: Congratulations on the RITA AWARD for ANTS, Tessa! 12 23 Sep 03, 2012 05:43PM
Q&A with Tessa Dare: A Night To Surrender Discussion Thread 2 22 Aug 28, 2012 11:07AM
Thanks 1 67 Aug 30, 2011 07:10AM
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • Unveiled (Turner, #1)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)
  • Nearly a Lady
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellenc
More about Tessa Dare...

Spindle Cove (5 books)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5)

“No, Susanna, " he said. "I cannot love you just a little. If that's what you want, you must find a different man." His green eyes were breathtaking in their intensity. His thumb brushed her bottom lip. "Because I can only love you entirely. With everything I am, and everything I ever will be. Body, mind, heart, soul.” 50 likes
“No, no. Don't make that face. Every time I propose to you, you make that twisty, unhappy face. It wears on a man's confidence.” 45 likes