Start by marking “Principle Centered Leadership” as Want to Read:
Principle Centered Leadership

Principle Centered Leadership

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  10,308 ratings  ·  119 reviews
No matter what level of success we have achieved, none of us can be content to stay where we are. In order to harness this drive, this innate desire for progress in all areas, we must learn to center our lives according to a set of certain basic principles.
Stephen R. Covey, author of the runaway bestseller The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, tells us how to apply th
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Principle Centered Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principle Centered Leadership

Tony

This has been one of the best books on life I have read in some time. I would agree with many of the other reviewers that this was a fairly repetitive book, and normally I would have only given something like this 4 stars, but the difference for me was that the concepts are powerful enough that it deserves a lot of praise. The book is a good companion to Covey's phenomenal 7 Habits book, by acting as a new lens through which to view the 7 Habits concepts. This book illustrates how the use of so
Greg Strandberg
This book was pretty good, but I got a little tired of reading it and decided to take it back to the library. I think it has some good tips on being effective in life and business and leadership, while also having good habits. The first couple of chapters, Covey reiterates what he said in his book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." I never read that, but enjoyed the recap.

All in all, if you want good motivational business/leadership books, this is a good one to look at.
Heather
This is an excellent book that shows how to implement the 7 Habits of Highly-Effective People in organizations and relationships. I think that this book gives great insights into effective human resource planning and strategy. You have to look at your organization as a whole and people as a whole. What motivates? What inspires to do better? A mission and common goal are important. I found the chapters on managing expectations, and involving and empowering people very interesting...especially bec ...more
Bright Mind
I recommend every leader to read it. .it's very handy . great book Stephen you are the best
حاتم عاشور
من المحزن أن أكتب هذا الكلام من بعد وفاة ستيفن كوفي بيوم واحد !

الكتاب في وصفه الأول "كثير حكي" يمكن كان اختصار الكثير من المقدم
وإعطاء خلاصات مفيدة بشكل أجمل، يحتوي على الكثير من النظريات
والجانب الذي يتحدث فيه الكتاب مبني على البعد العملي تماماً.

تشعر في لحظات أنك ضائع في صفحاته لعدم وجود بعض الترابط، الترجمة أثرت ! من الممكن.

النجمة الثالثة استحقها لأنه في أجزاء يعطيك كلاما ً رائعا ً يمكن استقراءه من الواقع أو تحويله إلى الواقع.

وللأمانة الكتاب من الممكن أن يعطى كدورة أو مادة تدريسية، ولكن لا يص
Aram
I love Covey; he really goes in depth while keeping everything plain and simple. This book basically goes over four levels of Leadership; Personal, Interpersonal, Managerial and Organizational and how you will succeed at each level by applying the key corresponding principles; Trustworthiness, Trust, Empowerment and Alignment.

If you are familiar with Covey you will tie a lot of these principles with other of his concepts, I felt this gave me an extra layer of understanding. Read It!
Aaron Hutmacher
This book was very good. However, the concepts and topics were very in depth and honestly deeper then my limited understanding could comprehend. Most books of this type take me a few weeks to read. I have been reading this book for a few months. I would read a few paragraphs and then have to digest what it said. I underlined or highlighted several key points and will likely keep this book on my bookshelf to refer to in the future.
Ameera H.  Al-mousa
يحتوي على مجموعة من المبادئ التى ترتكز عليها القيادة الناجحة , في المشاريع والأعمال والإدارة .

يُلم بعض الجوانب والقيم الإجتماعية والصفات والطبائع الشخصية التى قد تُعد من العقبات لشخصية القائد في الإدارة .

بعض اللمحات أيضا فيما يتعلق بالقيادة ومدى تكوين علاقات جادة ومفيدة في مواقع العمل , والنجاح في التواصل وعلاقتة بأفراد العمل خارج المؤسسة .

يعاب على الكتاب كثرة السرد وعدد الصفحات .
Ginette Smith
Who would not like our political leaders to practice the type of leadership described in this book, especially in the contentious climate that seem to be the rule these days? As for the book itself, the constant repetition of the same ideas becomes tedious after a while, though I understand that it is a compendium of articles written for different audiences.
Margaret
Excellent. Everyone in any type of management position should read this book. Actually, I listened to it...over and over...and then bought the cd. Simple, thoughtful and encouraging. I want to buy a copy for those who don't think they need it.
Jay
Page 154: WTF?

"How do we serve and eat the lunch of champions (feedback) and then the dinner of champions (course correction) within the context of the breakfast of champions (vision)?"
Maen
كتاب ضعيف لكاتب مميز...
لا أنصح بقراءته
كلام كثير برايي الشخصي اللي قرأ العادات السبعة للناس الأكثر فعالية مالو بحاجة هاد الكتاب
واللي ما قرأ العادات السبعة ما حيفهم هاد الكتاب
Carlos Graça
core leadership notions based on principles
Neil Coulter

I find it interesting how famous the name Stephen Covey is in leadership literature--because when I read his books, I find his writing drier than a caucus-race, sometimes trite (I mean, he has the "Give a man a fish" quote on the cover of the book!), and often repetitive. That was certainly the case with Principle-Centered Leadership, which has been on my shelf for several years and which I chose to read in small 1-to-3-chapter-a-day chunks over the past month or so. If you're tired of corporate

EB
This had good information on building a strong team culture (starting with you) by focusing on principles and not processes. He argues that a business (or any group) is not a machine with interchangeable parts. It's an organic system that must be cultivated like a farm. Leaders should focus on finding people's strengths and using those and making their weaknesses irrelevant. He also talks about the difference between management and leadership. I found lots of interesting things in it. I dropped ...more
Glen Babington
Characteristics of principle centered leaders
Continually learning - question self improving
Service orientated
radiate positive energy - be peacemaker, Hermosa or reverse destructive energy
Believe in other people - the unseen potential - don't carry grudges
Lead balanced lives- actions proportionate to the situation
See life as an adventure - have flexibility as a key principle
Synergistic - complement with the strengths of others
Exercise for self renewal - physical, mental, emotional, spiritual
7 Hab
Ahmed Hassan
بعيدا عن اني استفدت من محتوي الكتاب جدا وان بالكتاب ده ستيفن كوفي بقي م الكتاب المتميزين بالنسبالي جدا

بس الكتاب ده كسر بالنسبالي حاجز نفسي مهم جدا بالنسبالي اني خلصته من اوله لآخرة

الحكاية اني بدات في الكتاب ده وانا في مركز التدريب خلصته اول ما روحت الكتيبة وفي حوالي شهر وده انا مش متعود عليه

انا ملول جدا فبقرا الكتاب واوصل لنصه كده واسيبه واقرا كتاب تاني واوصل لربعه واسيبة واقرا تالت اقرا منه صفحتين واسيبه واقرا رابع واسيبه قبل ما يخلص بصفحتين وهكذا وبعدين ارجع للأول اخلصة والتاني واخلصة وكده
Matt Gwynn
I would give this book six stars if I could! I say that because I gave The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People five - and I liked this one even more. I believe everyone is a leader (whether they know it or not). As a result, I believe everyone should read this book. After reading Mr. Covey's work, I believe in principled leadership wholeheartedly.
Roger Corea
A MUST book to read if you lead people! It explains the difference between management and leadership and provides a timeless philosophy about dealing with people in an organizational setting. Understanding "effectiveness" and getting results by being principle centered is the only way to lead!
Amna
If you didn't read his book about the 7 habits you will enjoy this one, otherwise some of the idea is repeatable.
This book was assigned to me during my master. It has a lot of idea in simple way and the important of starting leadership from inside to outside.
Jo
A lot of ideas to chew on... and things that are already making me look at my leadership style differently. If I could do one thing differently that would make my business more successful, what would it be? And what is the job that my product if fulfilling in the life of those who purchase it? What is it's "task"... And how can I better shape the product to better perform it's task? hmmmmm.....
Sunny
brilliant management book. talks about various management techniques you can use to excel but there is an excellent chapter of about 6 pages which talks about raising excellent kids. it talked a lot also about principles, habits, greatness, having a moral compass, communication, family life, management problems, expectations, org control, mission statements and a lot more. Highly recommended and will be bringing in aspects of this into my current project for sure.
Vivian
The audio edition provides a good overview, but a hard-copy is recommended for highlighting and note-taking. There's A LOT of introduction / foundation (3/4's to 7/8's of the book) followed by a very hurried application segment.
Jim
Even thinking about adding a review of this landmark book reminds me of how far we have fallen since 2008 when it was revealed that nothing was real and everything we thought we knew was wrong.

For the pre-Bush/Obama Bail Out world of no moral hazard, this Reagan/Clinton era Covey classic observes that principle-centered leaders have common characteristics including:

* continual learning
* service orientation
* radiate positive energy
* belief in other people
* leading balanced lives
* seeing life as a
Colleen
Excellent book for anyone in a position of leadership. Should be required reading before you can enter into a leadership position.
Donna Sutherland
Good read if you are struggling with your management style. Christian based teaching which I had no issues with.
John Leinweber
good read on leadership. If we all decided the principles that would lead us, we could once again be great.
Todd
I kind of think all of Covey's books after 7 Habits were just regurgitations of the original.
Bill Donhiser
A Stephen Covey Classic. This is a must for people aspiring to become leaders/managers.
Justina
Possibly the best book I've read to enhance my career. Highly recommended.
nice book 3 4 Mar 02, 2015 09:28PM
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Leading Change
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
Stephen Richards Covey was the author of the best-selling book, "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". Other books he wrote include "First Things First", "Principle-Centered Leadership", and "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families". In 2004, Covey released "The 8th Habit". In 2008, Covey released "The Leader In Me—How Schools and Parents Around the World Are Inspiring Greatness, One ...more
More about Stephen R. Covey...
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change First Things First The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families The Leader in Me: How Schools and Parents Around the World Are Inspiring Greatness, One Child At a Time

“ماذا سيحدث إذا أصغيت إلى الآخر ؟ سيتغير الأمر برمته : لقد أصغى أحدهم إلى , وأعتقد أن كلماتي راقت له , صحيح أنه لم يبد موافقة أو عدم موافقة , إلا أنه كان ينصت , حتى إنه أشعرني بأنه يرى العالم كما أنظر إلية , وهكذا فقد شعرت أنني أصغى إلى نفسي وبدأت أحوز الثقة في نفسي” 40 likes
“Effective people lead their lives and manage their relationships around principles; ineffective people attempt to manage their time around priorities and their tasks around goals. Think effectiveness with people; efficiency with things.” 2 likes