Start by marking “Final Jeopardy: Man vs. Machine and the Quest to Know Everything” as Want to Read:
Final Jeopardy: Man vs. Machine and the Quest to Know Everything

Final Jeopardy: Man vs. Machine and the Quest to Know Everything

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  74 reviews

Get the eBook version of Stephen Baker's Final Jeopardy: Man vs. Machine and the Quest to Know Everything a month before the epic February 2011 event—a nationally-televised face-off between Jeopardy! all-time winners Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, and an IBM-engineered computer named Watson. The eBook’s final chapter will divulge the winner and analyze the match, and will

Published (first published January 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Final Jeopardy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Jeopardy

Marvin
This book was a selection for my philosophy book group. After reading it, I can only ask "why?" But as retired computer professor Dr. Geek I welcomed this book. I watched the TV show where Watson - the IBM-built computer - played against the two excellent humans from the Jeopardy TV show. I had hoped that the book would discuss something about the inner workings of what made Watson "tick."

But this was not a book that told that story. It was really the human drama that followed three groups of in
Gary Lang
The book tells the story well. It shows how early we are in terms of creating truly intelligent computing systems, and how far we've come in automating narrow forms of human intelligence which can take nearly infinite computing power. But, we have nearly infinite computing power, so there are task-focused domains that require intelligence we can tackle with computing today.

The dance between the producers of Jeopardy and IBM to make sure that each of them were presented correctly owed a lot to t
Edward
This book is about the story behind the famous Jeopardy! match between IBM Watson and two human champions and the preparation of the IBM team leading up to it. The author follows the team behind Watson and provides a detail account of the development and the training of this machine contestant that ultimately beat the two human champion on national TV. You will learn about the state the technology at the time and how team worked hard to improve the machine for the contest. There was the back and ...more
Phyllis
Somehow, I missed seeing Watson perform on Jeopardy!. Yeah, I don't know how that happened. But the whole issue of how one sets up a computer to take on the task fascinates me. (Nerd, yes. Geek, no.) Stephen Baker walks the reader through the process without using technical language so complex that no one outside of the field could follow it.

I enjoyed reading the book. It's well written. Mr. Baker walks us through the whole process from off-the-cuff idea, admitting that no one is absolutely sure
Julie
A few months ago, I watched the first man-machine Jeopardy match, between Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter, and IBM's brainchild Watson. So when I discovered this book by Stephen Baker at my library, purporting to describe the development of Watson from idea to reality, I figured I'd pick it up and see how Watson came to beat two of the greatest Jeopardy champions ever.

Baker charts Watson from mere suggestion -- back around 2006 -- to the final version that played on the show. The perspective is mostly
Seth Heasley
I love trivia games, to the point that I've been accused of having a trivial mind. I love having one-on-one Trivial Pursuit matches against my dad, and generally losing. And of course, I love playing along with Jeopardy! at home. If I could avoid getting penalized for all the wrong answers I blurt out and the buzzer wasn't an issue, I could totally take those people. Yeah, right. (I'm a fair hand at Wheel of Fortune, too.)

[ Interestingly, Ken Jennings (of the 74-game winning streak on Jeopardy!)
Carl
An interesting book, though not quite what I expected. The book is about IBM’s Watson computer, which was constructed to play on the Jeopardy TV program. In early 2011 Watson had a big match on TV with two of the best Jeopardy players, and won. I had thought that the book would be about the AI techniques used for Watson. The book did talk about the technical side of the machine, but only in a general way. Most of the book was about the human interest side of the project: some of the rules of Jeo ...more
Gregg
Sep 29, 2012 Gregg rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Gregg by: Eddy VanHalen
It was interesting to read about the inter workings of the team who created one of the most practical AI systems on the planet. The interesting thing about AI is that we have to understand ourselves to use as a model, and it is this awaking that is AI's true benefit. As we evolve it, it evolves us. The real holy grail of AI is to get it to take over its own evolution, and act upon its interpretation of reality. I don't think any AI system will show us anything that we don't already know in laten ...more
Mysteryfan
I read "Final Jeopardy: Man vs Machine and the Quest to Know Everything" by Stephen Baker. Researchers at IBM spent years and over a billion dollars developing a machine that could compete on Jeopardy!. It was interesting reading how they analyzed the questions so they could teach the machine to recognize puns and irony and even how to use the buzzer. Ultimately the project was pointless. They had to find ways to repurpose the machine after the contest was over. I hope the algorithms were useful ...more
Julia
When I heard there was going to be a match between a computer built to play Jeopardy and famous Jeopardy winners, I was instantly intrigued. Outside of checking my DVR was set to auto-record, I starte to wonder the science behind it. Was it just hooked up to a search engine? How was it going to handle the answers that are word play? Is it going to understand English?

This book answers those questions and more! I was highly interested during most of the book. It was not too heavy on technical det
Lilly
This book was fascinating in illustrating how complex and intricate it can be to create artificial intelligence. All the nuances of the human language, the meanings behind inflections, the things we take for granted are things that computers will never be able to understand. The seemingly simple concept of a machine playing jeopardy became not only an epic under taking, but showed the amazing amount of human ingenuity that goes behind every great "machine".
My problems with this book were small,
Usha
Another fascinating read - a journey from the conceptual, through the execution to deliverance. More so was how as Watson evolved, so did the philosophical/moral/ethical questions of accepting a machine in the human dominated world of cognition and knowledge(in the real sense of the word)

Even after watching the man vs. machine showdown live on TV and rewatching it on Youtube, reading the final chapter showed the actual workings of the mind behind the scenes. Kudos to Jennings and Rutter for taki
Autumn
Final Jeopardy is the story of IBM's Watson computer showdown with Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter on Jeopardy! I enjoyed this immensely because it was a unique blend of science, entertainment, and business. It touched on a number of subjects that I personally find very interesting: software, AI, branding, anthropology, linguistics, psychology, and trivia games, just to start.

I will admit that when I first heard that a computer had beat humans at Jeopardy, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the news g
Mike
spurred to read by Adam Gopnik's april 4 NY article
re Turing humanness tests, best is how well computer interrupts, gets distracted, rely on "uh's" and "ah's".
Reagan's "well" = Capraesque cheer
Obama's "Look" = Spockian certitude

Noah/Moses illusion
Jennings' use of flash cards
194 Watson gives confidence-rated "hypotheses", not "answers".
202 SAS goal: make systs run 1000X or 1MX faster, enabling them to look at 1M more input
208 How search engines think
209 captchas are drawn from old books---by comp
Martin
After being enraptured by the entire Watson-on-Jeopardy affair, it was SO satisfying to read in full all the nitty-gritty details of everything involved. The book capably gives little histories of the players and technologies involved and makes the final showdown quite exciting. Much of the technical detail of Watson's intelligence is left off the table (perhaps too boring for the average reader), and I still contend that Watson wasn't smart enough. It's beyond me that "he" couldn't decipher cat ...more
Snitty
It's very light on details, and the project head rarely appears in the book without an adjective indicating that he's angry. It was a fast and interesting read, but I'm hard pressed to recommend it to anyone who isn't already interested in both Jeopardy! and computer science.
Oyster
Artificial intelligence is no longer just the stuff of Philip K. Dick novels. Whether Siri’s your best friend or you’re wary of know-it-all operating systems, Baker’s analysis of Watson, IBM’s supercomputer, holds important clues to the future of man and machines.
TJ
I loved the concept of the book, and I thought it was extremely interesting to watch the process that IBM took to create Watson, but the book became wordy and jumpy at several times throughout the book. I liked the book, therefore I gave it a rating probably that is a little higher than it should get, but I do recommend it to Jeopardy! fans out there.
Jb
This is the story about how 25 computer PhDs employed by Big Blue (IBM) took on the challenge to compete with TV Jeopardy winners. It wasn’t an easy job. They had to design a computer that would listen and speak like a human. Flash-speed was also necessary as well as ability to recognize language subtleties such as slang, puns, and strangely phrased clues. Yet after four years the IBM collective minds met the challenge and their computer (named Watson) bested Jeopardy champions and made only few ...more
Angie
Enjoyably written story of Watson, the program that defeated the human Jeopardy champions and the IBM team that created him/it. I was disappointed that it was very light on the subjects of how Watson operated and how human and machine intelligences differ or are similar.
I was VERY surprised and unimpressed by the book's documentation. There is no index, and many of the sources are not documented, e.g., on page 162 there is a long quote from Samuel Butler. Baker does not tell which of Butler's wo
Danielle
I read this book for one of my book clubs and found it to be a very interesting story. It covers how the idea for Watson came into being, the challenges that came with designing the computer, and how they were able to pull of the Jeopardy match. I had no idea how hard it was for IBM to even convince Jeopardy to go along with this venture, and all the requirements that were placed on them to make it work. The author managed to bring the appropriate amount of tension to a story that everyone readi ...more
Ko Matsuo
A fascinating glimpse into the state of artificial intelligence through the development of the computer that beat out the two top Jeopardy players on live TV. Great discussion on how far computers have come, but also how wide the gap remains to true intelligence. One side has raw horsepower with the ability to count all the grains of sand on the earth in a single second. The other side has the ability to understand concepts and to make inductive leaps.

May good product managers continue to tap i
Stephen
Makes ken Jennings surprisingly less punch able
khrome
A pretty complete account of all aspects surrounding this historic match. Mainly a human interest story, it lacked what I was looking for - more detailed descriptions of the algorithms that were used. I would not recommend it if you are looking to read more about the technical aspects of Watson but it's still very interesting.

UPDATE 5/27/2012
This presentation by Dr. David Ferrucci, where he talks about programming Watson, is a nice supplement to this book
Chris Aylott
Lively presentation of the technology and personalities behind Watson, the IBM computer that took down Jeopardy! champions Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter earlier this year. I especially liked the clear explanation of how Watson pursues many different answers and figures out which answers are most likely to be correct. There are also some great insights into Jeopardy!, which is a a very deep and strategic game when looked at through the correct statistical lenses.
Scarlett Sims
So this book describes the much-hyped match between IBM's watson computer and Jeopardy! champions Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter. However, Mr. Baker devotes much more time to the actual creation of the computer, which is really fascinating. He discusses all the problems the programmers faced in actually attempting to make a computer that could play Jeopardy!. I would say it's a must-read for fans of Jeopardy! or people interested in AI type computers.
Andy Vogel
After watching the Watson matches on Jeopardy!, it was interesting to learn more about how it came to be and the process the machine goes through to come up with its answers. The broader discussion of AI was somewhat interesting as well and helped to answer the question of why Watson was built beyond the simple answer of trying to win at Jeopardy! Perhaps someday we will look back at Watson as the beginning of a revolution in automated customer service.
Susan
So far, this book is FABULOUS! Baker takes a complex topic and makes it fascinating and understandable. I had no idea that someone could make the world of understanding machines and Artificial Intelligence so fun! Great read!

Baker suggests several other related books here: http://thebrowser.com/interviews/step...

I plan to check them out as well!!!
Dale Lane
Loved this. I already knew a fair bit of the technical details of Watson, but this book fleshed out a lot of the history of how and why the researchers behind it did what they did.

Very interesting book, and very effective at putting the achievement in a broader context and thinking about what the future might hold.
Ruth Kassinger
Baker has written a quintessential stealth science book. The story of the making of Watson is seamlessly interwoven with an explication of what we mean by artificial intelligence, where AI computing is today, and where the field is going. Interesting and vivid characters married to a fast-paced "plot."
  • The Pun Also Rises: How the Humble Pun Revolutionized Language, Changed History, and Made Wordplay More Than Some Antics
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • Txtng: The Gr8 Db8
  • I is an Other: The Secret Life of Metaphor and How it Shapes the Way We See the World
  • Has Science Found God?: The Latest Results in the Search for Purpose in the Universe
  • Love and Sex with Robots: The Evolution of Human-Robot Relationships
  • The Man Who Found Time: James Hutton And The Discovery Of Earth's Antiquity
  • The Golden Ticket: P, NP, and the Search for the Impossible
  • Algorithms Unlocked
  • The Second Self: Computers & the Human Spirit (20th Anniversary)
  • Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain
  • World Wide Mind: The Coming Integration of Humanity, Machines, and the Internet
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • Incompleteness: The Proof and Paradox of Kurt Gödel (Great Discoveries)
  • Yellow Dirt: An American Story of a Poisoned Land and a People Betrayed
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • A Man of Misconceptions: The Life of an Eccentric in an Age of Change
  • Taste What You're Missing: The Passionate Eater's Guide to Why Good Food Tastes Good

Stephen Baker is an American journalist. In 2008, he wrote The Numerati, a book about the Big Data economy. Until 2009 he worked for covered technology for BusinessWeek. In November, he left to go freelance and finish his second book, Final Jeopardy. His first novel, The Boo
More about Stephen Baker...
The Numerati The Boost

“Watson represents merely a step in the development of smart machines. Its answering prowess, so formidable on a winter afternoon in 2011, will no doubt seem quaint in a surprisingly short time.” 1 likes
“They had human qualities a Jeopardy computer could never approach: fluency in language, an intuitive feel for hints and suggestion, and a mastery of ideas and concepts. Beyond that, they appeared to boast computer-like qualities: vast memories, fast processors, and nerves of steel. No tip-of-the-tongue glitches for Jennings or Rutter. But would a much-ballyhooed match against a machine awaken their human failings? Ferrucci and his team could always hope.” 1 likes