Start by marking “Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ” as Want to Read:
Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ

Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Demonstrates the why and the how of consistently biblical, gospel-centric counseling, whether in the pastor''s study or over coffee with a friend.
Unknown Binding, 157 pages
Published May 14th 2014 by Crossway Books (first published June 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Counsel from the Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counsel from the Cross

Jonathan
Love this book. When we counsel we declare nothing but Christ. It is a reminder, a coach and a balm to the hurting. The book closes with the theme of the whole work: "We would like to leave you with one last word, and it is simply this: when in your counseling room or when you're visiting with friends, pursuing a door of opportunity with t a stranger on a bus, wrestling with your heart's idols and unbelief, determine to know nothing except Jesus Christ and him crucified. Remember what the gospel ...more
Josue Manriquez
The gospel has become so familiar to us, that in many cases it has been relegated to a topic we consider only at Christmas and Easter. The other 363 days of the year are devoted to our deeds as demanded by Scripture. Even if we consider the gospel more often than these two holidays, our practical lifestyle reveals our focus is more on deeds than gospel. This is wrong, and results in a self-centered, self-love religion.

The authors say:

“When we lose the centrality of the cross, Christianity morphs
Tommy Ardt Jr.
Having read one other book by Elyse Fitzpatrick, I was excited to read her again and dive into a topic that is becoming increasingly necessary for Christians, regardless of occupation - counseling. I have found that Christians in my generation are absolutely open to being counseled as they (and I) work through complicated sin issues. Fitzpatrick and Johnson do a nice job of driving home the main point of this book, which is "we are more sinful and flawed than we ever dared believe, but we are al ...more
Mandy J. J.
MY REVIEW:

This wonderful, gospel-centered book is all about how God's love impacts our broken lives. While the title leads one to think that it is about counseling others, there is much in this book that will resonate within the heart of the reader.

I enjoyed the entire book, but especially appreciated the chapters on how the gospel applies directly with our sanctification, emotions, and relationships. After reading other books on the topic of the daily transforming grace of the gospel, these 3
I read this book for a counseling class I took at my church. It was very edifying--I feel like this book counseled me! Fitzpatrick and Johnson continually point to the gospel as the source of strength, hope, and freedom. A lot of the truths in this book were not new to my mind, but became so much more true to my heart. My copy is full of my underlinings and is definitely a book I would like to revisit.

I also appreciated the distinction made between different forms of counseling--secular psychol
Rachel
"Because of Christ's sinless life and substitutionary death we can confidently stand before the gaze of him to whom all things are 'naked and exposed' and to whom all people will 'give account' (Heb 4:13). On the day when we will give account, we will not be foolish enough to talk about how WE matured, how faithful WE were, how WE deserve glory. No, on that day, we will humbly fall before his pierced feet and rest only in his death and righteousness. We will receive the reward HE has earned, and ...more
Sam
Elyse Fitzpatrick and Dennis Johnson write to encourage believers to live in the gospel. All counsel must come clearly from the gospel declarations and gospel applications (indicatives and imperatives). The book is packed with doctrine and great content. Personally, I believe this book could have been much shorter - the authors tended to repeat themselves many times. I wish they would have done a better job communicating who wrote which chapters. Also, in an effort to be engaging, artistic, and ...more
Lincoln Forlong
This is a refreshing read tht putting real life struggles that people are overwhelmed with into perspective.

The writers have done an excellent job of showing how to assist people from a Biblical, Gospel centred point of view. It is an easy to understand read with a good number of pertanant illustrations.

Not only is this book beneficial for learning how to better help others, it is personally quite therapeutic and uplifting. Elyse and Dennis have presented a healthy balance between biblical truth
Mike
A very good explanation of the Gospel. It tended to lean toward the "throw a verse at the problem" kind of counseling, however. I was a bit confused by what appeared to be a required reference to the Law/Gospel hermeneutic. They mentioned that commands were Law and indicatives were Gospel, but then also said we should obey the Law of the Gospel. I was confused. But otherwise the book was good.
Jacqui
When Elyse said this book was about counseling from the cross I didn't realize the book would counsel me! Man she just preaches the Gospel straight up through the whole book. It is very comforting and helpful. She pulls out common sins and explains how the Gospel answers them. Great stuff.
Andy Smith
A good book, but I think it has some significant weaknesses, most of all an unrealistic presentation of examples. However, as a reminder of the power of the gospel in counseling, it's a good one. Still, I would recommend Tripp's "Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands" first.
Brian
The counseling book I've been looking for. While there are other good books in this genre none of them approach the enterprise with law/gospel distinctions so well established and explored. One I will dip back into again and again.
Susanna
EXCELLENT. Took me a while to work through it, but it definitely helped shape my thinking in regards to the counsel I offer others and myself. Just helped me on Sunday in a conversation I had with a friend!
Suzie
Excellent book for anyone in relationships with humans, ministry or counseling. But be sure to read the end notes or you will be misled on their philosophies on meds and therapy.
Emelia
Very biblically challenging and encouraging at the same time. I highly recommend if you want to know how to make the cross the place you apply life too.
Clansmitty
I appreciate the insights shared. I feel this author is passionate about her message, which is conveyed similarly in all her books I've read.
Lynn Hendricks smoliak
This is such a great read. I was very encouraged by the way she presents the gospel in this book. Constantly reminding you where your identity lays.
Bauer Evans
I really enjoyed this book. In fact, I gave a copy to my wife, Linda, and re-read it with her. Her chapter on emotions is outstanding.
John
This book was very good. I highly recommend it to all Christians, but especially those who have been following Christ for some time.
Kristie Kercheval
Just read the intro and first chapter while waiting at the dentist's office. I loved it!!! Excited to read more and ponder.....
Ronnie Curfman
Counsel from the Cross is a wonderful reminder of how the gospel continues to work its way into the life of the believer.
Nathan Carter
Great book on gospel-centered counseling! It counseled me and hopefully will help me counsel others.
Stephanie
I cannot wait to really get into this book. It is going to transform how I counsel people!!
Samuel
I can see myself re-reading this book several times in the years to come
Maggie
Gospel focused to spur one on in love and truth
G
G marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Shawn
Shawn is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
Li
Li added it
Jan 22, 2015
  • Seeing with New Eyes: Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel
  • Cross Talk: Where Life and Scripture Meet
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • The Christian Counselor's Manual: The Practice of Nouthetic Counseling
  • Relationships: A Mess Worth Making
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole
  • The Bookends of the Christian Life
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • Womanly Dominion: More Than A Gentle and Quiet Spirit
  • God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation
51983
Author of 20+ books on the Christian life and the gospel's impact on everyday living, Elyse is a frequent speaker at women's conferences nationally and internationally.

Elyse's ministry is summed up in these simple words: No fluff, No bricks, just the good news of a crucified and risen Christ.

In 1971 she married her sweetheart Phil and together they raised three children and are enjoying six real
More about Elyse M. Fitzpatrick...
Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life Idols of the Heart: Learning to Long for God Alone Comforts from the Cross: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time Love to Eat, Hate to Eat

“It is only within the context of the church that ongoing spiritual care, encouragement, and accountability can occur. It is only as we use the powerful word of the gospel in each other’s lives that we can change.” 0 likes
“Love is the first cause of all the graces we desire; it “warms the heart, and sweetly and powerfully influences our affections to delight in, and to walk in love with such an exceedingly gracious and merciful God.” 0 likes