Start by marking “In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)” as Want to Read:
In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)

In Total Surrender (Secrets #3)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,638 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Andreas Merrick is the king of London's dark underworld, having amassed unimaginable wealth and power...and a fierce reputation that leaves even the bravest men quaking in their boots. Yet one person is maddeningly unintimidated by his fearsome presence: the persistent Miss Phoebe Pace.

Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about In Total Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Total Surrender

Juliana Philippa
He wanted her. More than he’d ever wanted anything else.

It would be so easy. Closing the distance. Confusing and conflicting all of the very real and necessary barriers that stood between them. That she had tried her damnedest to break down. He wasn’t a fool. And part of him—most of him—wanted to give in. To surrender everything to her.

But there were barriers that she didn’t realize existed. And that was where the true danger resided.
So often in romances, the story is essentially about the woman
Fani
Well, it's been a while since I enjoyed a romance as much as I did this one. Mostly the honors go to Andreas, one of my favorite heroes ever, but Phoebe was a lovely, feisty heroine who matched him perfectly while the banter between them was amazing. Though the tone was dark and sentimental mostly, there were many scenes that made me laugh out loud, lightening the mood and making me read them again and again, as if I couldn't get enough of them.

Our story starts when Miss Phoebe Pace visits Mr Me
Joanita
Oct 18, 2016 Joanita rated it it was amazing
“It builds character to be told no.”
“You must have a lot of character then.”
“That is kind of you.” Warm smile.
“I was being rude.”
“Well, then at least I can say you are an honest man.”

I absolutely LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book!!!!!!

description
“I am a vile man.” He gave her a feral smile, letting the darkness rise. “The absolute worst you will ever meet.”
“That is absurd, Mr. Merrick.” The darkness froze, then began undulating, snapping at an unseen threat. “How do you know what kind of men I might mee
Jill
Aug 01, 2011 Jill rated it liked it
This is my first book by Anne Mallory. Perhaps if I had read books 1 and 2 of the Secrets series I would have enjoyed this and been able to understand it more. I found myself floundering, trying to get a grasp on the plot. However, I have read numerous other historical romances where I have started mid-series and easily been able to read those books as stand-alones. So I'm unsure whether this is due to the author's writing style or simply that In Total Surrender must be read as part of a whole s ...more
Kathleen
Mar 27, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. A keeper. A joy. (Not perfect -- see end bit -- but perfect for me.) This is a subtle love story, not a bodice ripper, despite the cover art. Gradually the sexual anticipation simmers, ending in sweet and sizzling fade-to-black love scenes. Its greatest strength is relationship development and characterization. Not a lot of action / adventure, but enough. Part of a series, yet it stands alone just fine.

Andreas is a BAD MAN who trusts no one but his brother and his old nanny. He is the
Quinn
What an absorbing book! This is why I love Anne Mallory.

I’m the kind of reader who finishes a book and immediately moves on the next one. I’m having trouble maintaining that pattern after this one – I don’t want to let it go. I can totally understand why sometimes readers will finish the last page of a book and head straight back to page one to read it again. This is that kind of book.

It’s also the kind of book that I find impossible to review. There’s so much I want to say, but I don’t have the
Dina
EXCELLENT!! Almost as good as Seven Secrets of Seduction. :)

Are there going to be more books in this series? Me wants!

Note: I received this eARC from HarperCollins via NetGalley. That had no influence on my rating.
Ana
Oct 13, 2011 Ana rated it it was amazing

Equal parts honey and steel, Phoebe will stop at nothing to find her missing brother and save her family. Though associating with Andreas means peril and scandal, she never expects to experience a passion so inte
Laura V.
¡Lo amé!

Realmente maravilloso. Me ha encantado de principio a fin, si no fuera porque tengo poco tiempo lo volvería a leer porque es muy lindo!
Me encanta, me encanta, me encanta.
Es como totalmente diferente a la hora de desarrollar el romance, Phoebe es maravillosa, es una luz, es enérgica, es divina, es perfecta para Andreas. Ella realmente, realmente es buenísima. Me encanta como se desenvuelve todo, es una conquista de los sentidos, quiero destacar que ellos no sienten una atracción animal-
Heather
Sep 13, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I haven’t met a more anti-hero hero than Andreas. But I love him for it. He might, in fact, be my favorite Anne Mallory hero yet. Andreas is unfeeling; not incapable of emotion, just unwilling to feel. And he uses this to his advantage in his business dealings. He doesn’t have pleasure dealings because that means having to deal with people. But then he meets the unstoppable Phoebe. It was a great narrative choice to write the book mainly from his perspective. He is so baffled and befuddled and ...more
Cristina
Oct 14, 2013 Cristina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr-european
I was in the mood for a little historical. This was a new author to me, so this appealed too. The characters in this book were a real puzzle to me. But they were fascinating enough for me to keep reading. This book was very well written. But I felt somewhat detached from the hero and heroine for some reason...There were occasional glimpses of them in touch with their emotions but not enough to increase the emotional intensity of this book. The sexual chemistry was present but again the writing ...more
Katyana
I loved this book!

It was a heck of a lot of fun to read a book where the heroine is the aggressive one, relentlessly pursuing the hero. And Phoebe is just brilliant - even knowing she was smart, that she was setting things up the way she wanted them to play out, I was surprised several times by her absolute brilliance as things fell into place and the extent of her "handling" of the situation became apparent. Phoebe is also remarkably fair. Usually when you are dealing with an anti-hero (which A
Keri
Jan 18, 2016 Keri rated it it was amazing
An absolute fabulous read! Well done Ms. Mallory! The twists and turns were completely unexpected. Andreas was an island. He didn't need human touch, emotions or anything that showed a weakness. Phoebe was a woman of touch, emotions and showed a true strength of character and didn't mind showing those that she loved her softer side. Once she caught sight of Andreas and learned about him and his ways then she knew that here was a man that would protect all her secrets whatever they may be. So ...more
eyes.2c
Oh my goodness, I so loved this novel. Was thrown at the first as it took me a few pages to realize that I was seeing things through Andreas eyes.
And Phoebe, the soul of lightness who's very inner core of hope and determination that will save Andreas from himself and the darkness he surrounds himself with. Wonderful!
Laura (Kyahgirl)
1.5/5; 2 stars; C-

I thought this book was really poorly written. I found it confusing, aimless, and obscure. I wanted to like it because I really did like the characters of Andreas and Phoebe but for most of it I was checking to see how close it was to being done.
Min Li Li
Sep 17, 2015 Min Li Li rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yazar ile ilk tanışmamız serinin 3. kitabıyla oldu ama ben sevdim,zaten kendisi de çok nazik ve kibar bir bayan,o yönden kalbimi fethetmişti.Kitabı da sevince bundan sonra takip edeceğim yazarlar arasında yerini aldı. :D
Danielle
Sep 21, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

Oh how I loved this book! It took me a little while to get into the groove of it, but once I did I was hooked. I just couldn't put the book down. In the beginning I felt a bit overwhelmed and I had a little trouble following along. I felt a little lost. I'm not sure if it's because I hadn't read the book previous to this one, or if it's just how it was meant to be. But once I got into the swing of things and got into Andreas Merrick's way of
Amanda Ryan
Jul 27, 2011 Amanda Ryan rated it liked it
Redonk Nutshell: Underworld boss meets his match when a Lady inserts herself into his life

Andreas Merrick is, in short, a bad ass. He and his brother-from-another-mother run London's underworld. Andreas has taken over temporarily while his bro is on his honeymoon, and while under normal circumstances this wouldn't be a problem, it becomes one when Miss Phoebe Pace enters the picture. The Pace family owns and runs a successful carriage manufacturing business, and Andreas has been working behind t
Christopher
Jul 03, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on The Historical Romance Critic.

"'You propose to whore for me?' He had chosen the words deliberately. Her smile slipped, and she looked at him for a long moment, and for the first time he had no idea what was going through her head. 'No. I did not mean it in that manner, though I see now how you might have interpreted such a thing from my words.' Bloody head tilt. 'Is that what you require? I don't know that I'd be very good at it, as I lack the necessary exper
Sofia Lazaridou
Oct 06, 2012 Sofia Lazaridou rated it it was amazing
Oh!” This was said brightly, as if she was happy he had noticed. “I decided I needed my own workspace, instead of constantly infringing upon yours.So I had a few of the boys move a desk in here.”
He stared at the petite,feminine, desk that was pushed against his. And wondered how the bloody hell she had managed to convince men who were terrified of him to move the desk inside his domain.

“Absolutely not.”

***

Gamruk
Feb 10, 2016 Gamruk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Ben bu kitaba BA-YIL-DIMM! Baştan sona keyifle, 32 diş sırıtarak okudum. Andreas Merrick sen ne tatlı, ne şeker, ne sahiplenici, ne aşık, ne korkusuz, ne gururlu, ne harika bir adamsın yahuu...

Phoebe'nin bilerek veya bilmeyerek Andreas'ı zorladığı sahneler resmen ballı kaymakli tatlilara es değerdi gözümde. Tadları damağımda kaldı.

Adam resmen kadını gördü ve pufff bütün o yapmam etmem dediği şeyleri tek bir gülücük icin yapar oldu ama yine de o asil soğuk ve ruhsuz tavrindan da ödün vermedi.

Corduroy
This is a book about a lady who's part of her family's carriage-making business mini-empire. She becomes involved with a stern businessman for vague reasons relating to, maybe, conspiracy, financial collapse, and (possibly) murder. She finds Stern Businessman super hot, but alas, Stern Businessman is grumpy and alarmed by his response to her.

I don't understand this book and will probably not finish it. The sexual tension between the two main characters is fine, but it just goes on and on and on
Dd
Mar 28, 2013 Dd rated it really liked it
A very pleasing book with admirable main characters.Phoebe was very lovable.She was smart,kind,optimistic,willful,stubborn and just perfect for Andreas.Andreas was a force to be reckoned with.He was amazing.His selflessness,loyalty,courage,power and his darkness,can make anyone fall in love with him.
Anne Mallory has spun a delightful tale with this book.The way in which Phoebe inserted herself in Andreas's life was very interesting.And it was simply beautiful and amusing the way Andreas tried to
Jen
Oct 10, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mallory
Andreas and Pheobe

4.5 stars.

This was an extremely delighful read! I loved wathcing Pheobe wear Andreas down. And once Andreas decided he wanted Pheobe he was no holds barred. The first 1/3 of the book was from Andreas perspective and I really like that. I liked having his point of view so much and watching him be totally confused by what she was doing to him. The notes on the food baskets were hysterical. The puppy drawings were classic.

My one complaint was the sex scene. It was more a fade to
Hayal Perest
Sep 05, 2015 Hayal Perest rated it really liked it
İlk başlarda biraz sıkıldığımı itiraf etmeliyim. Okurken Sherlock Holmes'un dosyalarını mı inceliyorum yoksa Historical mi okuyorum diye bir ayrıma düştüm ama güzeldi. Kitabın kurgusunu sevdim. Gerçi Phoebe biraz kaşındı, yani bile isteye belaya davetiye çıkardı ama olsun sonunda Andreas ile mükafatlandırıldı.
Detaylı yorum çok yakında blogta! ;)
Be Fisher
I really like this book! The hero and the heroine are both great ! He's so cold , but underneath he has heart . Head tilt :) Loved it!
Tracy
Jan 21, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~* 4.5 Stars *~
So Much Fun!

Phoebe Pace will do whatever it takes to keep her family from the poorhouse and her father from debtors prison. She knows he wasn't responsible for the mistakes he made, and she knows why, but to reveal the truth would only serve to worsen an already grave situation. So Phoebe does what it is in her indomitable nature to do...take control of the situation, seek the help that she needs, regardless of the source, and persevere. Through guile, cunning, and a bit of tricke
Lisarenee
Aug 27, 2011 Lisarenee rated it liked it
Notes: I read the ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of this book. The book will be released September 27, 2011). Contains some violence.

"Do you not know the tale of the wolf, Miss Pace?"

"No." Her voice was breathy, her fingers clinging to his, not trying to break free.

"And the lamb who poked and poked and poked?"

He drew her hand toward him, pulling so she was half-lying across the desks, only her elbows keeping her upright. "I don't believe I have," she answered. The brown of her eyes was slowly bein
Jess the Romanceaholic
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 3, Secrets
Series Best Read In Order: Works well as a standalone
Steam Level: Warm

Ruthless and apologetically brutal, Andreas Merrick has earned his dark and fearsome reputation. Quite literally fighting off assassins everywhere he goes, he trusts absolutely no one outside of his brother, Roman.

When Roman unexpected
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Nearly a Lady
  • Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)
  • The Portrait
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To #2)
  • Unclaimed (Turner, #2)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • Desired (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #5)
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
Some people have always known they wanted to write. Others fall into it and discover its inherent joy. I’m somewhere in between. As an avid reader, writing a novel had always tickled the back of my mind. There seem to be a lot of people who say, “Someday I’ll write a book.” For me, the feeling tickled, moved into an incessant knocking and finally became a dull roar. All I needed was to make that ...more
More about Anne Mallory...

Secrets (3 books)
  • Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)

“Oh!” This was said brightly, as if she was happy he had noticed. “I decided I needed my own workspace, instead of constantly infringing upon yours. So I had a few of the boys move a desk in here.”

He stared at the petite, feminine, desk that was pushed against his. And wondered how the bloody hell she had managed to convince men who were terrified of him to move the desk inside his domain.

“Absolutely not.”

***

Two hours later, he was still scowling as she happily worked on . . . whatever the hell it was she was working on. Across from him. At her desk. How the hell . . .

He remembered saying no. He remembered cursing. Threatening her unborn children. Then there was a sort of hazy period of smiles and calm words. Then she had touched the back of his hand with her naked fingers.

And now, here he was with . . . her desk . . . pressed to his—surreptitiously watching her scratch her paper, the tip of her tongue poking from the side of her mouth as she worked.”
18 likes
“...Go somewhere else. Somewhere safer.”

Anywhere else. God, please. Or he was likely to do something horribly awful, like surrender his sanity and kiss her.”
14 likes