A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)

A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  9,866 ratings  ·  931 reviews
What a scoundrel wants, a scoundrel gets...

A decade ago, the Marquess of Bourne was cast from society with nothing but his title. Now a partner in London’s most exclusive gaming hell, the cold, ruthless Bourne will do whatever it takes to regain his inheritance—including marrying perfect, proper Lady Penelope Marbury.

A broken engagement and years of disappointing courtship...more
Mass Market Paperback, 386 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Avon (first published February 1st 2012)

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytThe Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
2012 Historical Romance Novels
1st out of 263 books — 609 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
133rd out of 2,430 books — 15,865 voters

More lists with this book...

Blacky *Romance Addict*
“I am too imperfect for you,” he whispered at her temple.
“You are perfectly imperfect for me.”

I just... I love this book. I love the cover. I love the writing; every single sentence. I enjoyed reading it. I love the plot, oh yes, no better plot than revenge. I love the characters, both of them. But most of all; I love you Sarah MacLean Photobucket Gimme more books like these Photobucket

“You have my land, Penelope,” he whispered at her ear, the sound low and liquid and altogether too distracting even as it sent tremo
Sarah MacLean
Dec 04, 2011 Sarah MacLean rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: historical, mine, romance
I mean, if I don't like it, what hope do you have?!
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

5+++ VERY SHINY STARS!

"I want to lay you down in the light of The Angel and make love to you."

Photobucket

Wow, wow, wow! What a fabulous read! *hugging my Kindle* Prepare yourself to be gushed upon.

From revenge to love. Michael intends to corrupt Penelope. He wants to turn her from light to dark, from good to bad. His goal is to totally ruin her. And it will feel so splendid. A Rogue by Any Other Name is such a great example why I love to read HR. *does the happy dance*

Despite my mino...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

A Rogue by Any Other Name is the first book in Sarah MacLean’s The Rules of Scoundrels series and from the first page to the last is filled with emotion – happiness, heartbreak, passion, romance – a truly fabulous story!

I often find, with historical romances, that the rules society has placed on the women can make them seem mousey and pathetic, so I love it when an author takes those women and makes them strong enough to laugh at their peers – or at least not care enough to conform to what’s exp...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
I choose you. I choose love.

And the world says, "aww..."

I think my weeks-long book slump finally ended when I decided to go back and finish the second half of this. It's really too bad that I seem to have a roadblock every single time I try out a new Historical Romance author. No other genre works me over in such a way, to where I'm stuck in an exact idea of what I want to be reading (a.k.a. Kleypas type of wit), and if my ideals are not met right away, I tend to balk and kick my feet until s...more
Elizabeth (Liz)
- The Story (taken from back-cover blurb) -

A broken engagement and years of disappointing courtships have left Penelope with little interest in a quiet, comfortable marriage, and a longing for something more. How lucky that...more
KatLynne
Sarah MacLean has become one of my favorite HR authors. I enjoy her writing style and I find myself highlighting nearly every three or four pages. It’s like, “Oh my, I just love how she said that,” and I have to stop and do the Kindle highlight thing:) I crave dialogue in my novels and this one doesn’t disappoint! It is sexy, witty, poignant and refreshing! While there are a few places that could be referred to as “cheesy,” it still worked for me and I loved it!

The young Michael, Marquess of Bou...more
Mo

"I’m going to corrupt you"

Again, I ask myself why do I only dip into Historicals a few times a year? This was a great book. Loved the heroine. Loved the hero. Love stories where he vows to himself that he will not be lured by a woman and fall in love…. But of course it does happen!

"You’re like the rattle of dice. The shuffle of cards. You call to me until I ache with desire for you"

Ilona Andrews
I promised I would let you know how A Rogue By Any Other Name went. I really enjoyed it.

In early eighteen hundreds, Michael Lawler, Marquess of Bourne, freshly in control of his family's estate at the ripe age of twenty one, is playing cards with his late father's friend, Viscount of Langford. Viscount of Langford is a trusted ally, father to Michael's best friend. Until recently Langford oversaw Michael's fortune and had just turned it over to him.

Michael trusts Langford and when the viscount d...more
Susanne
winter

She realized how little she wanted a quiet life of pastel colors and quadrilles and tepid lemonade. She wanted more.

*Happy sigh* What a wonderful book! Sometime you stumble on these HR gems that makes you smile, gush and wish you lived in a different time. Sarah McLean is a wonderful author!

"Sirrah! Do not come any closer! I…", she flailed for a decent threat. "I am armed!"
His response was unmoved. "Do you plan to smother me with your muff?"
"You, sir, are not a gentleman."
"Ah. Truth at last."

I...more
Laura the Highland Hussy

My very first thought as I started this book, perhaps two chapters in, was “The hero is such a bastard!” followed by, “Good. They always fall the hardest.” I wasn’t wrong.

Bourne is playing a game of cards with Viscount Langford, his best friend’s father, and his guardian, when he loses. Not just loses, but loses big. Bourne loses everything. Langford purposely goaded Bourne and pushed him into wagering his holdings. Langford’s reasoning was that he’d been...more
Lisa
All right, I will admit that I am in love with Sarah MacLean's books. She started me on my new found historical love affair with her superb Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake and I have not looked back so I may be a bit biased in saying that I have loved everything she has since written, including A Rogue By Any Other Name. This book is a bit different though as our hero, Michael, Marquess of Bourne is quite unlikable for a good bit of the book. He forces a marriage of convenience with an...more
Crista
*****3 1/2 stars*****

What an incredibly wonderful yet frustrating read! The idea for this series is genius. Four incredibly delicious hot men are business partners in the most successful gaming house in London. Each man serves a function within the gaming house: Accountant, Manager, Bouncer/Security, and Owner.

This is Bourne's book. Cross, the accountant, will be featured in the next book.

This book captivated me from the opening line and I couldn't put it down! Sadly there were some issues with...more
Mandi Schreiner
At the age of 21, Michael Lawler, Marquess of Bourne and a gambling addict, lost everything he had in a game of cards with Langford. He lost all he had inherited from his parents' untimely death to a man who sat there and laughed at him. Embarrassed and devastated, Bourne vanishes, not to be seen in polite society again. His only thought is for revenge, to bury Langford one day and reclaim his lands of Falconwell. For nine years Bourne worked his way up, becoming part-owner of The Fallen Angel,...more
♡Karlyn P♡

I had a love / hate with this book.

I loved the writing voice, loved Penny and her family, and loved the friends-to-lover plot.

But I didn't like Michael for much of the book, I didn't like the pacing of the romance as it went too quick, and I didn't like the revenge plot as it felt a bit forced.

Overall, the story kept me engaged and entertained, but it didn't 'WOW' me. I will continue with the series as there is plenty about the men at the gaming Hell that has me interested for more.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Feb 26, 2012 Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Review Request
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Historical romance fans
Posted on Under the Covers

A ROGUE BY ANY OTHER NAME is the first book in a new series called The First Rule of Scoundrels. In this book, the Marquess of Bourne lost everything but his title in a gaming hell. His land, servants, clothes, everything was taken away from him. So Michael vows revenge; his aim to one day retrieve everything that was taken away from him.

Ten years later, Michael is now one of the owners of London’s most exclusive gaming hell. His life holds excitement and success, but...more
Beanbag Love
This was my first Sarah MacLean experience and I really enjoyed it. I'll be looking up her backlist and checking it out as well.

The Marquess of Bourne lost everything on the turn of a card. He was brought to complete ruin by someone he trusted and has spent the last nine years planning revenge. To get what he wants he finds he needs to marry his childhood friend. He's lost all capacity to feel anything toward others so he knows he'll make her a miserable husband. Still, he wants what he wants an...more
Dinjolina
The books started out fabulously. It was solid, fun, witty, and angsty.
I was sure it will be perfect!

And it was, up untill about half way trough. Then it was just flat. Not bad, per se...but almost boring. It seemed like after the hero's turn-around everything was done in a straight line. Even the famous card scene with the heroine and the eeeeevil enemy left me cold.

Also, a lot of things were never adressed. Like Mrs.Worth. The very young servats. The mistress-should-live-here-not-a-normal-fami...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: February 28, 2012 (Available Now!)
Publisher: HarperCollins
Imprint: Avon
Author’s Website: http://macleanspace.com/
My Source for This Book: Edelweiss
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, The Rules of Scoundrels Series
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy

Oh, how I love a childhood friends to lovers story, especially when full of estrangement, revenge, and unrequited love. As one of my favorite...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
4.5 Stars

A new series by Sarah Maclean! She is fast becoming one of my favourite HR authors and Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake is still one of my favourite HR books.

Because I am feeling a little lazy this evening I am going to do my review list style, with what I liked, and what I didn't, so first up....

Liked

* The Heroine- I liked Penelope, I am always a sucker for a plain Jane, and her character development was very much in that line. She went from being controlled by men in her lif...more
Keri
This was a completely awesome read! Nine years ago, Michael, the Marquis of Bourne, at 21 was pushed into gambling something that he held dear...Falconwell, his family lands and everything no entailed. He lost his entire world to his guardian no less. Now Bourne has spent the last nine years of his life, scheming and dreaming of his revenge. He now is a successful owner of a notorious gambling establishment, The Fallin Angel. Him and three of his friends, now know many secrets and own property o...more
Vishous
I must say that this book reminded me why is HR my favorite genre! Yes, I'm a sucker for romance, bigger sucker for HEA and much bigger sucker for books when main characters don't want to admit to themselves that they are IN LOVE with each other!

First I must say a HUGE thank you to BLACKY for telling me to read this book! I can't wait to read the sequel with Cross!

description

THE STORY

Ah the story... when you combine love and revenge what's there not to love!?!?
Michael lost it all in game of cards and he w...more
edzkie♥§*.*§♥

“I’m going to corrupt you,” he promised her skin, one hand sliding down the swell of her stomach, feeling the way the muscles there tensed and quivered at his touch. “I’m going to turn you from light to dark, from good to bad. I’m going to ruin you.” She didn’t care. She was his. He owned her in this moment, with this touch. “And do you know how it will feel?”
She sighed the word this time. “Splendid.”
More than that.
More than she’d ever imagined.

Love over Revenge. This book is now added to my "...more
Ruth
There are very few authors that are auto-buys for me and that hit all the right buttons, but this author is one of them. Usually, if I see a book I fancy, I'm perfectly willing to wait until it's in the library or until I can trade a copy, but whenever I see a release date for this author, it's like a pathetic compulsion. I have to have it and I have to pre-buy it, even if I don't get the chance to read it as soon as it loads onto my kindle homepage.

This book has everything I WANT in a good HR....more
Dee
New to HR I was pointed in the direction of Sarah MacLean's books and she has fast become an auto-buy author for me. Her words flow together very smoothly and make a spectacular story that I find hard to put down.

I started this book early this morning and refused to move from the couch until it was finished...I pressed the button which made the world stop and refused to allow life to interupt my dream world. I didn't hear the phone ring, nor did I hear the message that was left because I wasn't...more
Gina
5 GREAT BIG BRIGHT SHINY STARS!!!!!!!

Once again i am so happy that I listened to my friends here on GR and read this book! I loved this book, it kept me glued to my chair. I hardly watch TV anymore because of the book recommendations I get here.

This story is about Michael (he goes by Bourne for most of this book, but I prefer Michael) and Penelope. They were childhood friends. When Michael loses his land and everything he owns in a card game he vows revenge (cold, calculated revenge). Penelope...more
Melanie
5+ stars - This was one of the best historical romances I've had the pleasure to read in a while!

I've enjoyed Sarah MacLean's previous novels, but 'A Rogue By Any Other Name' definitely takes the cake! Great characters, witty dialogue and a touching, heart-warming and HOT romance, this one had it all and is an excellent start to MacLean's new series 'The Rules of Scoundrels'.

We met Lady Penelope in MacLean's previous novel 'Eleven Scandals...' where she was the young, sweet, and soft-spoken fi...more
Mitzi
What a great revenge to love story....One of the best I've ever read...I loved it, it's awesome and it's a keeper!!! This is a friend to lover story too. The h/H grew up as neighbors and were pals...I especially enjoyed the little notes the h/H sent to each other while he was away at school...(nice touch by author). I also liked that this book didn't overplay the 'poor me-pity party-I'm not good enough for you' scenario.
Duchess Nicole
It was good. Not as good as Nine Rules or Eleven Scandals, but still a solid read. The epilogue itself was almost worth an extra star. At least the first part of it. It brought tears to my eyes. The second part is almost a 'to be continued' for the next couple, whose book comes out later this year.

Penelope is a strong, patient woman. Much more patient than I could ever be, both with Leigton (from Eleven Scandals, remember, he broke their engagement), her father, and Bourne. She has literally bee...more
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Highland Pleasures, #3)
  • A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • Sunrise with a Notorious Lord (Lords of Vice, #4)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • Silk Is For Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)
Sarah MacLean is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of YA and adult romance.

She grew up in Rhode Island, where she spent much of her free time bemoaning the fact that she was more than a century too late for own Season. Her unabashed addiction to historical fiction helped to earn her a degree in European History from Smith College before she moved to New York City to pursue a career...more
More about Sarah MacLean...
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3) The Season Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2) One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)

“I had a perfect life in my reach once, and it was a crashing bore. Perfect is too clean, too easy. I don't want perfect any more than I want to be perfect. I want imperfect.” 38 likes
“Dear Sixpence,

I saved them all, you know. Every letter you ever sent, even those to which I never replied. I’m sorry for so many things, my love: that I left
you; that I never came home; that it took me so long to realize that you were my home and that, with you by my side, none of the rest
mattered.
But in the darkest hours, on the coldest nights, when I felt I’d lost everything, I still had your letters. And through them, in some small way,
I still had you.
I loved you then, my darling Penelope, more than I could imagine—just as I love you now, more than you can know.

Michael
Hell House, February 1831”
36 likes