Start by marking “The Subversive Stitch: Embroidery and the Making of the Feminine” as Want to Read:
The Subversive Stitch: Embroidery and the Making of the Feminine

The Subversive Stitch: Embroidery and the Making of the Feminine

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this fascinating study, Rozsika Parker traces a hidden history--the shifting notions of femininity and female social roles--by unraveling the history of embroidery from medieval times until today.
Published September 13th 1989 by Routledge (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Subversive Stitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Subversive Stitch

Deirdre
Rambles a bit but this is an interesting (if currently dated) look at Embroidery and how in many ways it has come to define a certain level of femininity. How it went from being a career to being an acceptable way for women to pass their time and how it has been diminished by both men and women.

I know from personal experience how little people appreciate handcrafts and how if I quote a fair price for embroidery work that people are surprised. This is an interesting look at how embroidery became
Anne
I started reading this work on a research trip, and then the library recalled it, so I need to get it back. This work discusses the use of embroidery by women as a mode of expression and in some cases rebellion. I have to say that one of the most striking things I have read in it so far - and I am not too far into it - is a section on a woman who was suspicious of her daughter's needlework. She doesn't like that during all other tasks her daughter hums and sings, but during embroidery, she is si ...more
Ellen
I had read this many years ago, but had decided it would be timely to reread this since I have been reading books like Craftivism, Bibliocraft, Strange material and the Bayeaux Tapestry. This one really did come first, and those other titles follow very worthily. It is a bit dated, but still a very strong book to read, and much of the anger over historical depictions is still very valid. It is still necessary reading (well, at least very strongly suggested reading) after reading some of the titl ...more
Margaret Pride
Very interesting. Minus one star because I was disappointed in the quality of the illustrations in the edition I have. I would have liked to see color and more detail on many of the pieces shown.
Part art history part feminist history, but all embroidery. There were definitely some interesting bits in the book, but a pretty heavy read all around.
Lorie
A bit dry, but still fascinating. A throw-back to my days as a Fiber major.
Megan
Insanely interesting and the last chapter was very exciting to read.
Maeve
Maeve marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Pie
Pie added it
May 19, 2015
Sarah Johnson
Sarah Johnson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Jasmine Summers
Jasmine Summers marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Grace Hau
Grace Hau is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
Shana Hampton
Shana Hampton is currently reading it
May 11, 2015
Corrie
Corrie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Esma
Esma marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Laaugust
Laaugust marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Sydney More
Sydney More marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Dobrusia
Dobrusia marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Shiva Wolfe
Shiva Wolfe is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2015
Natali
Natali marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
  • The Obstacle Race: The Fortunes of Women Painters and Their Work
  • Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years Women, Cloth, and Society in Early Times
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • The Gentleman's Daughter: Women's Lives in Georgian England
  • Subversive Cross Stitch: 33 Designs for Your Surly Side
  • Women, Art, And Power And Other Essays
  • The Dinner Party: From Creation to Preservation
  • A Rainbow of Stitches: Embroidery and Cross-Stitch Basics Plus More Than 1,000 Motifs and 80 Project Ideas
  • Handmade Nation: The Rise of DIY, Art, Craft, and Design
  • Bluestockings: The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education
  • The Self-Portrait: A Cultural History
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • No Idle Hands: The Social History of American Knitting
  • An Elegant Madness: High Society in Regency England
  • Governess
  • A Perfect Red
  • Courtesans: Money, Sex and Fame in the Nineteenth Century
  • The Buried Soul: How Humans Invented Death
Old Mistresses: Women, Art and Ideology Framing Feminism: Art and the Women's Movement 1970-1985 Mother Love/Mother Hate: The Power of Maternal Ambivalence Torn in Two: Experience of Maternal Ambivalence I Am the Most Interesting Book of All: The Diary of Marie Bashkirtseff, Vol. 1

“I identified historical hierarchical division of the arts into fine arts and craft as a major force in the marginalisation of women's work.” 2 likes
“Femininity and sweetness are part of women's strength...Quiet strength need not be mistaken for useless vulnerability.” 2 likes