Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  25 reviews

This is the eBook version of the printed book.

Critical Thinking is about becoming a better thinker in every aspect of your life: in your career, and as a consumer, citizen, friend, parent, and lover. Discover the core skills of effective thinking; then analyze your own thought processes, identify weaknesses, and overcome them. Learn how to translate more effective thinking

Published June 13th 2002 by Pearson Education

To ask other readers questions about Critical Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Thinking

Pete R
This is an amazingly useful book whose insights are timeless. I constantly keep going back to read some sections of it, because the matters discussed therein touch on things that happen in our day to day lives.

It first guides one in understanding our thinking in today's world, which is ever changing. The reader is then encourage to critic their own thinking. Gradually, one is able to become a fair-minded thinker based on a deep self-understanding.

What I found most useful is details of the parts...more
Dave B.
I couldn't exactly give it a full amazing rating. It is a very useful and helpful book. It provides all the helpful advice of most Stephen Covey books without the "feel-good" self help aspect. The authors provide clear details and examples of how we all error in thinking. Then provides great questions and recommendations that will help anyone improve how they think about life, issues and other people. I consider this book a reference book. I placed it on my office desk. Its full of highlights an...more
Dale Pearl
Exceptional book! If you want to improve and clarify your thought processes then this book is a must. I would suggest using it more or less like a reference book once you do a quick read through. That is going to be my strategy at least.
Provides techniques to help deal with egocentric thinking which I confess that I often struggle with.
Provides several methods for which an individual can grasp the ability to improve their ability to think logically and identify when emotions are shadowing over l...more
Kipriadi prawira
You are what you think…
Everything you do in life is determined by the quality of your thinking. If you aren't thinking clearly, you're at the mercy of everyone else. Unfortunately, many people never give any thought to how they think. No wonder they're susceptible to the frustration, pain, ineffectiveness, and financial loss that result directly from poorly considered thinking. Critical Thinking is about becoming a better thinker in every aspect of your life as a professional, as a consumer, cit...more
Carlos Mueses
Great book to start the journey. This is my first book about the subject but is great eye opener, a great start.

Human behavior is fascinating. Different biases give different results, different angles and this book sheds light on some of the key factors that come into play. I can't assess how good this book is until I read some other material about the subject.

Vaughn
Where there are certainly some good points to ponder in this book, I found there to be far too much repetition and too little substance.
Gabrielle
Done. There were so many important ideas about thinking and thought processes, but the voice and the tone of the writing was grating. They (perhaps the trouble comes from co-authoring) often descended into patronizing and glib examples and points of view. Too bad, because the subject is fascinating, important and relevant. I did learn a lot, but I became bored (as did my students) from reading chapter after chapter of the formulaic and oppressive prose.
Charles Legg Jr.
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in learning how to become a critical thinker. Critical thinking will allow you to become a better thinker in your daily life from reading editorials to making major decisions. The book is well organized and easy to follow with exercises to help understand the six stages of critical thinking. Much of what I have learned about critical thinking has come from this book.
John
So I pulled this one onto my kindle fire, and I must say...while I am not reading it verbatim, the principles in every chapter are proving to make the most sense I've seen in a while (in a non-religious book)
So yes, I would say give it at least a good browsing, if you have the chance.
In fact, people need to be more like what's in this book, which will only improve society, in my opinion.
Skip Scott
Excellent book on improving and understanding critical thinking. The author puts critical thinking into perspective from an individual, corporate, and group perspective. There are real world examples showing the pros and cons of rational and irrational thought processes. Highly recommend this for anyone looking to improve their thinking and decision making processes.
Jenna
It informs you how to draw a reasonable outcome and evolve a vivid, accurate, and logical process of thought.

It says, that thinking is a matter of preference. If we do not learn how to take on the perspective of others, and to think as they do, then will not be able fairly judge their ideas and belief.
firecracker2007
This book was required reading in a course I took. I found it to be an enjoyable and informative read. The examples, strategies, and test the idea activities made the content accessible. I rented this book but liked it so much I'll be buying it outright instead.
Chien-lan Hsueh
It is a little bit dry to read but I found it's very useful. If you try to finish the book quickly, it becomes hard to digest. The practical examples the Authors used in this book to explain the concepts are very helpful for me to get better understandings.
Eduardo
Relatively good reading for those who want to analyze their own thinking process and would like to find out the real reason for many of the decisions they take. Quite burdensome for many, as it provides detailed information at certain concepts.
Alexis
Full of practical advice and ways of training yourself to investigate and critique your own thinking (and hopefully to "improve" it). The title makes it sound a bit cheesy but it's well worth the read.
Ardell

This book outlined the basics of critical thinking. It focuses on the reader''s perspectives and judgements. At times, it is laden with information and ideas, but it is worth the read
Lindsay
A little dry, but definitely a book worth reading. I think everyone needs to analyse not only their thought processes, but also the evidence and reasoning behind things they believe.
Richel
Very practical, though a difficult read; one has to take it real slow to appreciate it.

This book has to be "chewed" and "digested", not merely to be "tasted".

Highly recommended!
Rhonda
Examines WAYS in which we think, and to think 'intentionally' and with purpose and meaning, and to pay attention to our thoughts and concentrate on what those thoughts are telling us.
Mars
I had to read this for school, and I found it fascinating. If you enjoy expanding your mind, you will likely enjoy this book - for the learning experience if nothing else.
Ridzuan Ashim
A really good but rather heavy read. A book that brings to light one's thought processes and how we often make poor decisions because we 'automate' much of our thinking...
Neowuf
Not about techniques, but about concepts of how to critical think. A great book, lot´s of exercises I do have to re-read and think a lot about. I do recomend
Mribin
Everyone should read this book & have a chance to see how our thinking is shaping our lives as individuals as well as in society
Hoa
Book gets a little repetitive, but good concepts about ethics, decision making and self reflection.
Steve
Heavy going but very informative and challenging.
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Michele Mandall
Michele Mandall marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth about Getting Ahead in Business
  • Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us about Who We Are
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking: Concepts and Tools Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Learning and Your Life (2nd Edition) Miniature Guide To Understanding The Foundations Of Ethical Reasoning The Thinker's Guide to How to Read A Paragraph: The Art of Close Reading The Thinker's Guide to Fallacies: The Art of Mental Trickery and Manipulation