Start by marking “Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  608 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"Critical Thinking" is about becoming a better thinker in every aspect of your life: in your career, and as a consumer, citizen, friend, parent, and lover. Discover the core skills of effective thinking; then analyze your own thought processes, identify weaknesses, and overcome them. Learn how to translate more effective thinking into better decisions, less frustration, mo ...more
Published June 13th 2002 by FT Press

To ask other readers questions about Critical Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Thinking

Richel
Nov 17, 2014 Richel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Very practical, though a difficult read; one has to take it real slow to appreciate it.

This book has to be "chewed" and "digested", not merely to be "tasted".

Highly recommended!
Pete R
This is an amazingly useful book whose insights are timeless. I constantly keep going back to read some sections of it, because the matters discussed therein touch on things that happen in our day to day lives.

It first guides one in understanding our thinking in today's world, which is ever changing. The reader is then encourage to critic their own thinking. Gradually, one is able to become a fair-minded thinker based on a deep self-understanding.

What I found most useful is details of the parts
Dave B.
Nov 09, 2011 Dave B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't exactly give it a full amazing rating. It is a very useful and helpful book. It provides all the helpful advice of most Stephen Covey books without the "feel-good" self help aspect. The authors provide clear details and examples of how we all error in thinking. Then provides great questions and recommendations that will help anyone improve how they think about life, issues and other people. I consider this book a reference book. I placed it on my office desk. Its full of highlights an ...more
Dale Pearl
Exceptional book! If you want to improve and clarify your thought processes then this book is a must. I would suggest using it more or less like a reference book once you do a quick read through. That is going to be my strategy at least.
Provides techniques to help deal with egocentric thinking which I confess that I often struggle with.
Provides several methods for which an individual can grasp the ability to improve their ability to think logically and identify when emotions are shadowing over l
Derrick
It was an interesting book. I just didn't care for it. The book just drug on and on forever. I do hope to use some of the ideas and concepts to evaluate my thinking, especially in my professional life. I thoroughly enjoyed the last three or four chapters. As they were summaries of the entire book with very specific, "ok now, how does this apply to me" questions and ideas.
Maria Miaoulis
This book is definitely not light reading material, so those expecting an overview of the topic or a quick read at that will be greatly disappointed. The quality of your life is greatly influenced by your quality of thinking, and the author seeks to make you a better thinker in all facets of your life by helping you discover what level you're at now and how you can improve.
Kipriadi prawira
Nov 04, 2013 Kipriadi prawira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You are what you think…
Everything you do in life is determined by the quality of your thinking. If you aren't thinking clearly, you're at the mercy of everyone else. Unfortunately, many people never give any thought to how they think. No wonder they're susceptible to the frustration, pain, ineffectiveness, and financial loss that result directly from poorly considered thinking. Critical Thinking is about becoming a better thinker in every aspect of your life as a professional, as a consumer, cit
Carlos Mueses
Apr 16, 2014 Carlos Mueses rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to start the journey. This is my first book about the subject but is great eye opener, a great start.

Human behavior is fascinating. Different biases give different results, different angles and this book sheds light on some of the key factors that come into play. I can't assess how good this book is until I read some other material about the subject.

Vaughn
Jul 06, 2014 Vaughn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where there are certainly some good points to ponder in this book, I found there to be far too much repetition and too little substance.
Dy-an
May 11, 2016 Dy-an rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
I can sum this whole book up in two words: Question everything.
Gabrielle
Apr 18, 2013 Gabrielle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Done. There were so many important ideas about thinking and thought processes, but the voice and the tone of the writing was grating. They (perhaps the trouble comes from co-authoring) often descended into patronizing and glib examples and points of view. Too bad, because the subject is fascinating, important and relevant. I did learn a lot, but I became bored (as did my students) from reading chapter after chapter of the formulaic and oppressive prose.
Charles Legg Jr.
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in learning how to become a critical thinker. Critical thinking will allow you to become a better thinker in your daily life from reading editorials to making major decisions. The book is well organized and easy to follow with exercises to help understand the six stages of critical thinking. Much of what I have learned about critical thinking has come from this book.
John
May 25, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I pulled this one onto my kindle fire, and I must say...while I am not reading it verbatim, the principles in every chapter are proving to make the most sense I've seen in a while (in a non-religious book)
So yes, I would say give it at least a good browsing, if you have the chance.
In fact, people need to be more like what's in this book, which will only improve society, in my opinion.
Skip Scott
Mar 20, 2013 Skip Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
Excellent book on improving and understanding critical thinking. The author puts critical thinking into perspective from an individual, corporate, and group perspective. There are real world examples showing the pros and cons of rational and irrational thought processes. Highly recommend this for anyone looking to improve their thinking and decision making processes.
Jenna
It informs you how to draw a reasonable outcome and evolve a vivid, accurate, and logical process of thought.

It says, that thinking is a matter of preference. If we do not learn how to take on the perspective of others, and to think as they do, then will not be able fairly judge their ideas and belief.
Fred Grannan
This is an excellent book and one that will be used more as a reference and growth tool relative to improving my thinking processes. It was not a book to read cover to cover for me and will likely never be. I will keep and reference this book often I expect.
firecracker2007
Aug 26, 2014 firecracker2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was required reading in a course I took. I found it to be an enjoyable and informative read. The examples, strategies, and test the idea activities made the content accessible. I rented this book but liked it so much I'll be buying it outright instead.
Chien-lan Hsueh
Feb 04, 2013 Chien-lan Hsueh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a little bit dry to read but I found it's very useful. If you try to finish the book quickly, it becomes hard to digest. The practical examples the Authors used in this book to explain the concepts are very helpful for me to get better understandings.
Eduardo
Relatively good reading for those who want to analyze their own thinking process and would like to find out the real reason for many of the decisions they take. Quite burdensome for many, as it provides detailed information at certain concepts.
Alexis
Apr 17, 2012 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of practical advice and ways of training yourself to investigate and critique your own thinking (and hopefully to "improve" it). The title makes it sound a bit cheesy but it's well worth the read.
Lindsay
Jun 19, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, kindle, z2012
A little dry, but definitely a book worth reading. I think everyone needs to analyse not only their thought processes, but also the evidence and reasoning behind things they believe.
Rhonda
Mar 03, 2012 Rhonda rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Examines WAYS in which we think, and to think 'intentionally' and with purpose and meaning, and to pay attention to our thoughts and concentrate on what those thoughts are telling us.
Mars
I had to read this for school, and I found it fascinating. If you enjoy expanding your mind, you will likely enjoy this book - for the learning experience if nothing else.
Ridzuan Ashim
Feb 06, 2011 Ridzuan Ashim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good but rather heavy read. A book that brings to light one's thought processes and how we often make poor decisions because we 'automate' much of our thinking...
Neowuf
Jan 18, 2014 Neowuf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not about techniques, but about concepts of how to critical think. A great book, lots of exercises I do have to re-read and think a lot about. I do recomend ...more
Mribin
Sep 25, 2013 Mribin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book & have a chance to see how our thinking is shaping our lives as individuals as well as in society
Hoa
Dec 12, 2013 Hoa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book gets a little repetitive, but good concepts about ethics, decision making and self reflection.
Jen Cragen (MKmaineknitter)
Very intriguing and informative. Useful for a variety of folks.
Steve
Nov 04, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
Heavy going but very informative and challenging.
Brian
Brian rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2016
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • Boost Your Memory: Brilliant Ideas You Won't Forget (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality
  • The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth about Getting Ahead in Business
  • Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria
  • Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us about Who We Are
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively

“and pain. Critical thinking is the disciplined art of ensuring that you use the best thinking you are capable of in any set of circumstances.” 0 likes
“The mind is its own place and in itself can make a hell of heaven or a heaven of hell" —Milton, Paradise Lost” 0 likes