Start by marking “Is Eating People Wrong?: Great Legal Cases and How They Shaped the World” as Want to Read:
Is Eating People Wrong?: Great Legal Cases and How They Shaped the World

Is Eating People Wrong?: Great Legal Cases and How They Shaped the World

Great cases are those judicial decisions around which the common law develops. This book explores eight exemplary cases from the United Kingdom, the United States, and Australia that show the law as a living, breathing, and down-the-street experience. It explores the social circumstances in which the cases arose and the ordinary people whose stories influenced and shaped t ...more
Published December 13th 2010 by Cambridge University Press (first published November 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Is Eating People Wrong?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is Eating People Wrong?

Petra Eggs
Important Edit (2)The person who gave up this poor woman to the police was her own brother. He said she is a Muslim and deserves to die for marrying a Christian. She says their father died when she was 8 and she was brought up as a Christian by her Ethiopian mother. Muslim men are allowed to marry who they please. All Muslim women must marry Muslim men otherwise it is an offence punishable by death. Her own brother... These men must be brought up to think women are one step up from dogs. Get rid ...more
Oscar
Dec 25, 2011 Oscar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In all honesty, the book's title is what caught my attention, I mean the possibility that within the book's pages discussions regarding taboo questions resided was enough to wet my appetite. Upon close examination, however, I realized that this book was concerned not with the taboo, but rather with the social, historical, and cultural dynamics that shape common law. I mean why is eating people considered wrong? Why is racial segregation no longer practiced in this country? Who owns a fox? The pe ...more
Sandra
Apr 24, 2015 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, law
An interesting, readable introduction to common law.
Misleading title: should be "Is killing people in order to eat them wrong, if you are really, really hungry?"
Ian
Oct 15, 2012 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, easy read. Title is taken from an English case R v Dudley and Stephens, involving a shipwreck, murder and cannibalism.

In that chapter, the author observes that literature and the law impact each other in either direction. The facts of the 1884 Dudley and Stephens case closely parallels an 1838 novella by Edgar Allan Poe ("The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket") Poe's tale is about four men adrift after a shipwreck who draw lots to see who would die and be eaten. The name of the
Sharn
Dec 08, 2016 Sharn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, law
This book pretty much does what it says on the tin (the 'great legal cases' bit, not eating people). It should, however, be noted that when Hutchinson says 'the world', he really means the Anglosphere that draw their legal traditions and structure from the English common law model. Sadly, even non-Anglo common law jurisdictions such as Kenya, India, Malaysia, Singapore, and Pakistan - amongst others - are neglected, as is New Zealand.

Nonetheless, Hutchinson has certainly picked some of The Big
Rj Seelen
Jan 02, 2016 Rj Seelen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I get into the review, I should probably answer the question that pops into everyone’s mind when they read the title of this book. The book itself doesn’t answer the question directly, but the author is one of my professors at Osgoode, so I go the opportunity to ask him directly. His response:

No. It’s killing people to eat them that’s the problem.

With that out of the way, let’s talk about the book itself. Is Eating People Wrong? is an academic book that looks at the circumstances surroun
Mark Johnson
Feb 20, 2014 Mark Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One often hears politicians (usually on the conservative end of the political spectrum) decry the practice of "judges handing down laws from the bench." This book, which is aimed at a popular audience, makes it clear that, under the common law system inherited by the U.S, Canada and Australia from their former colonial rulers the British, handing down law is precisely what judges are supposed to do from their benches. The book presents nine classic legal cases which resulted in important common ...more
Mary Whisner
Canadian law professor Allan C. Hutchinsontells the stories of eight cases in Is Eating People Wrong? Great Legal Cases and How they Shaped the World. His big theme is the development of the common law through particular cases. Along the way, he offers more complete stories about some famous cases than you will ever find in a casebook or appellate opinion.

He opens with a case from Britain that actually begins in a lifeboat on the Atlantic ocean: The Queen v. Dudley and Stephens, 14 Q.B.D 273 (18
virgodura
Mar 05, 2015 virgodura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, law, 2015
A prof mentioned this in 1L. It's very light reading (in a way that's irritating and appealing at once) but if you are past 1L (as I am) you are probably already familiar with these cases (foxes, snails, etc).

.... So I was thinking about this book some more and I don't know if this is ott but how Hutinchson writes about women... When he's discussing the Miranda case, he writes of the victim, "That intercourse had occurred was confirmed at a later medical examination that night at the Good Samari
Olivia
Aug 27, 2015 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YES! This book is at its prime with an I-won't-ever-put-this-down interesting description of the core parts to the law and how they have affected and do affect the average Joe. By strategically placing a key case at the center of each chapter, it ceases to be merely descriptive and is rather more and more investigative, sparking on the reader a sense of inquiry that is necessary for the enjoyment and understanding of the law.
Richie de Almeida
Highly readable, in spite of it being written by someone in the law profession! The selection of cases are diverse and interesting in their own right. With any luck, Allan Hutchison will share more law stories in the future.
Jim McClure
Feb 15, 2016 Jim McClure rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has some interesting chapters on court cases that changed landscape of some of our laws. Pretty cool to see the origins of Maranda rights, and other such cases.
Becky Harris
You'll be relieved to know eating people is indeed wrong. Beyond that, you have to be really interested in the law to stick with this book. I skimmed most of it.
Jinna
May 30, 2015 Jinna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd say of the 8 cases shared, I really only fully enjoyed 5, maybe 6 of them. Still, of those cases, I found them very interesting and written well for this non-lawyer reader here.
Julia
Mar 08, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for a layman (like me). Covers several historically significant legal cases in a variety of jurisdictions and gives both legal and historical background detail. Entertaining.
Katie
Jun 15, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
It was alright. The cases were less interesting then I thought. I liked that it didn't focus only on American law though.
Chege James
Chege James rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Ryan Hipgrave
Ryan Hipgrave rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Matti Rautakorpi
Matti Rautakorpi rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Mint
Mint rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Cahafner
Cahafner rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Andrusch
Andrusch rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2014
T. Mae
T. Mae rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Laura rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012
David Akeroyd
David Akeroyd rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Tanner
Tanner rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Dan Pagan
Dan Pagan rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Kai Xiong
Kai Xiong rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine "Laughing at the gods" 3 149 Aug 24, 2012 11:06AM
  • Want to Start a Revolution?: Radical Women in the Black Freedom Struggle
  • The Sun Kings: The Unexpected Tragedy of Richard Carrington and the Tale of How Modern Astronomy Began
  • The Two-Mile Time Machine: Ice Cores, Abrupt Climate Change, and Our Future
  • Alone in the Universe: Why Our Planet Is Unique
  • The Last Lingua Franca: English Until the Return of Babel
  • Words Words Words
  • Spacesuit: Fashioning Apollo
  • Ms. Holmes of Baker Street: The Truth About Sherlock
  • Sisters in the Struggle: African American Women in the Civil Rights-Black Power Movement
  • The Invasion of Canada: 1812-1813
  • Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day
  • Contested Will: Who Wrote Shakespeare?
  • The Corset: A Cultural History
  • L'art presque perdu de ne rien faire
  • Blood & Roses: the Paston Family and the Wars of the Roses
  • The Mask of the Sorcerer
  • The Big Shift: The Seismic Change in Canadian Politics, Business, and Culture and What It Means for Our Future
  • Milk - The Deadly Poison