Start by marking “The Lady with Carnations” as Want to Read:
The Lady with Carnations

The Lady with Carnations

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Lady with Carnations is not only the traditional name of a famous Holbein miniature which unexpectedly comes into a London salesroom in the mid-thirties: it is also the soubriquet by which some of her close friends think of the antique-dealer who buys it. Katharine Lorimer, by hard work, flair and courage, has worked her way to the top of a trade that traditionally belongs ...more
Other Format, 178 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by BBC Audiobooks America (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady with Carnations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady with Carnations

Ange
Oct 08, 2011 Ange rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
My friend and I had an AJ Cronin reading spree when we were in high school in the late 1970's. Although I'm sure we read a number of his books, this is the only one I still have, and can recall in any depth. It's a short novel, but quite a lovely story.
Carol
Mar 07, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
I'm giving this three stars, though I'm not sure it's the same novel I read. I read one called "White Carnations," and, since there's nothing similar for Cronin under that title, I'm guessing that this is the same book.

If it is, I enjoyed it as an old fashioned romance. The characters in my book are Nancy and Katharine. Ring any bells for anyone?
Ty
Jul 10, 2015 Ty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Being the owner of a 1948 copy of this novel, I get to actually feel the browned pages in my fingers and smell the familiar old book smell, while contemplating once again what I think of as proof of sublime talent.

This was the first book I ever read, back when I was still a child, and it will always be special to me. I usually read several lines out loud, the most remarkable ones, just for the pleasure of them being communicated to the world.

A.J. Cronin was a distinguishably talented author, as
Sana Ghamri
Oct 02, 2014 Sana Ghamri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une belle histoire classique qui vous permettra de voyager dans le temp et qui réchauffe le coeur.
Jane
Aug 09, 2012 Jane added it
It's difficult to read this in modern times ... but as someone else said, "a good old-fashioned love story".
Velvetink
Jim
Mar 17, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
AAA
Hilde
Hilde marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Vo Thi
Vo Thi is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
Ushma Bardoloi
Ushma Bardoloi rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Isabel Lopez
Isabel Lopez marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Madalina
Madalina rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Fern Adams
Fern Adams rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Ellie
Ellie added it
Jun 13, 2016
Emre
Emre marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Katarina
Katarina marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Amina
Amina marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Dada Vuk-Mil
Dada Vuk-Mil rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2016
Laura Browne
Laura Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Mariella Fumagalli
Mariella Fumagalli rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Gergana Georgieva
Gergana Georgieva marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Antonella
Antonella rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Archibald Joseph Cronin was a Scottish novelist, dramatist, and non-fiction writer who was one of the most renowned storytellers of the twentieth century. His best-known works are The Citadel and The Keys of the Kingdom, both of which were made into Oscar-nominated films. He also created the Dr. Finlay character, the hero of a series of stories that served as the basis for the long-running BBC tel ...more
More about A.J. Cronin...