Start by marking “Daughter of Deception (Family Lies Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Deception (Family Lies Book 1)

Daughter of Deception (Family Lies #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Daddy's little girl.

That's what clairvoyant Viola Ashwood has been her entire life. She wouldn't mind quite so much if her father hadn't been possessed by a powerful, and nasty, demon nearly a decade earlier. After recovering from a horribly tragic confrontation with Daddy Dearest, Viola wants nothing more than to get back in to the federally-funded but privately run demon...more
Published January 12th 2010 by Kara Thorpe

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Deception

Beverly
My thoughts:
I was hooked from the first page. I couldn't hardly put this one down!
I fell in love with Tobias Duke and Viola Ashwood right away! Kara Thorpe creates fantastic characters. There isn't a character in the book that isn't well developed - even Finn (the dog) has a planned out personality. Paul Duke (ghost) and Granny Aggie are so lovingly constructed that it was easy for me to find myself wishing that we all had people like that in our lives.
I was laughing out loud at Viola's snarkin...more
Nikki
I won this book here on Goodreads, and I am SO glad that I did. I LOVED it!!! I can't wait to start the second in the series. Kara Thorpe is definitely going to go on my must read author list!
Kim
Daughter of Deception is the first book in the Family Lies series. In a lot of ways, it is a paranormal Romeo and Juliet. Duke is the regional head of the Network, an organization of people with special abilities dedicated to hunting demons. Viola is the daughter of a man possessed by a powerful demon and from a family with a long, dark, and mysterious past. Against his better judgment, Duke takes her back into the Network and walks right into the demon hunt of his life.

I was hooked from the mom...more
Mandy
The first thing that hit me when I started reading were the character’s names: Duke, Viola, Olivia, Sebastian. Wait a moment. That’s Shakespeare! Twelfth Night. Okay, now I’m definitely intrigued. Anyone who alludes to the great Bard has my attention. :)

And the book just got better from there. Seriously, this is a great start to a new series, and I can’t wait to read the next books!

I fell in love with Duke almost immediately, he had bad-boy, yet protective older brother, yet still hot vibe goin...more
Jackie
Daughter of Deception

Reading this book as part of the author's blog tour in May of 2011....
Daughter of Deception (Family Lies) is the first book in a new series written by author Kara Thorpe...
Reading this story was easy, it was fun and entertaining and had very enjoyable main characters in Viola and Tobias... Every page I flipped on my Kindle engrossed me more, would have read the book in one day if had the time to do so all in one shot!
Viola was the third child born into the Ashwood family,...more
Tishia (Paranormal Opinion)
This is a good, action-packed book with a sweet love story mixed in. The heroine in the story is Viola, who I really like. The author does a really good job at making you connect with her. She undergoes lots of traumatic events, and is just filled with so many emotions. She is someone who has been through a lot, and still holds up - even after she finds out that she can't trust anybody she's related to. The only people she ends up trusting is her childhood crush, Duke, and his sweet grandmother....more
Sana Noor
Eerie...scared me to my wits end but had me coming back for more!

You know when you watch that horror/slasher movie, where the heroine is entering that one room that always leads to her death or venturing into the forest when we clearly know what the outcome is going to be and we're screaming, "Don't you know what happens when you run off alone, appearing to be so brave! You guys don it enough! What happened to learning from your mistakes!" But she still ends up going and has her head chopped off...more
Lburt
So, I was a little disappointed with this one. The reviews were all 4 or 5 stars so I had my hopes up for a good exciting read. My first disappointment I realized like three pages into this book, and its a personal preference so it might not bother everyone. I get annoyed when authors consistently change the POV. I don't mind when its one chapter with one POV and the next chapter with another POV, but always changing whos talking paragraph to paragraph makes the story confusing.To make matters w...more
Denise
The first book in the Family Lies series, this paranormal romance took me a while to get into but turned out to be quite an entertaining read. Viola is just just a fun character that I had to keep reading, even though I found Duke to be quite irritating. That aside, the plot had me hooked by the middle of the book and I'm quite sure I'll be back for more at some point.
Lauralynn Elliott
This was really a pretty good book. You feel for the characters, there's fun banter between them, and you get to read about some demons...kind of like watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel.

I have two issues with this book, though. 1) The ending fell kind of flat after building up the romance between the two main characters. 2) There were LOTS of errors in the book. Extra words added, probably when the author decided to change the sentence and didn't get all of the original sentence off the...more
Stephanie
Received this book as a Goodreads win and I am very greatful for the win. I enjoyed the book immensely.
I found the story line interesting and the characters delightful. I am glad there is a second book because the ending leaves you wishing for more. You know the story it not finished. It is what I would call lite reading, not a hard or complex story to get involved in, you just kind of fall into the book and let it take you away.
Bonnie Lindahl
Good

This is the first of the series and is a good and interesting book. I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't think it was great, but oh well. I think that many people will enjoy this book and the series. It just wasnt for me.
Babus
Loved this book! As soon as I finished it I had to start the next one!
Bayli
Nov 20, 2012 Bayli marked it as to-read
.99 on amazon
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Krystal Gibson
Krystal Gibson marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Margie Consorte
Margie Consorte marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Patricia Peto
Patricia Peto marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Pam Cooper
Pam Cooper marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Carrie Bourgeois
Carrie Bourgeois marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Pualani
Pualani marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sarah Kirchens
Sarah Kirchens marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Tammie
Tammie marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Gena
Gena marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
  • Demon Lord (Demon Lord, #1)
  • Fanged Love (The Vampire from Hell, #0.5)
  • Lovestruck Succubus
  • The Dragon King and I  (Fairest of them all #1)
  • Witch's Bell Book One (The Adventures of Ebony Bell, #1)
  • The Demon's Daughter (Demon Outlaws, #1)
  • Phoenix Feather
  • Calculated Risk
  • A Soul For Trouble (Soulbearer, #1)
  • The Sentinel Mage (The Cursed Kingdoms, #1)
  • Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #2)
  • Bookworm (Bookworm, #1)
  • Life Blood  (Cora's Choice, #1)
  • First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)
  • Binding Spell (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms #3)
  • Blood of the Underworld (The Watcher's Blade, #1)
  • The Dark God's Bride (The Dark God's Bride, #1)
  • Demon Hunter and Baby (Aisling McKay, #1)
Kara Thorpe started writing as a distraction in French class and never stopped (just don’t ask her to conjugate many verbs). Born and raised in Texas, she loves all things historical, scientific, and downright geeky. Though she prefers to write short, character-driven stories, she ventured into the world of the novel with the first book of the Family Lies series "Daughter of Deception."
More about Kara Thorpe...
The Chaos Child (Family Lies, #2) Mistress of Malice and Mercy Sometimes It Is Rocket Science Glide Like Ghosts NaCl - A Story of Soulmates and Friendship