Start by marking “Back Home” as Want to Read:
Back Home

Back Home

Kieran Addison, in his teens falls in love with his brothers boyfriend, so he runs away to another country to bury himself in a career so he can forget. When his brother is killed in a car accident Kieran comes back briefly for the funeral, but then leaves almost immediately, emotions too raw to face Jordan Salter.

It's only when his father becomes Ill, and his sister begs
Published April 2nd 2011 by Silver Publishing (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Back Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back Home

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Feb 20, 2011 Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: d-i-k, m-m
I just love RJ’s books.

This one was an excellent read with lots of emotions. I loved how the relationship between J and Kieran developed. I easily connected to the story and characters and the whole time I was reading I felt like I was in the story. It made me laugh and cry at parts, it was wonderful reading a story that had me feel so connected to it.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

This one was definitely sweet and sad but at the same time it made me giddy and happy.

I loved Jordan and I loved seeing him work through his feelings for Kieran but at the same time struggle with his dead lover, Brad, and the accusations Brad made before he died. Jordan had a lot of guilt over Brad's death and what he's felt for Kieran for so long. I really liked Kieran, too. I admit, at first, I wasn't sure if I would because of how he left Jordan and his family but overall I really d
Heather C
This was such a beautiful story! Okay…it was a little predictable, but it was also so emotional. I felt so much for Jordan and Kieran, and poor Jordan was breaking my heart. I didn’t cry while reading this but it did make my chest hurt. There isn’t a lot of smexy time in this one, but it is filled with a lot of steamy sexual tension!
Mantastic
Apr 05, 2011 Mantastic rated it it was amazing
RJ Scott should write for the screen. Back Home is rich in color and texture that would be amazing in live action.

An emotional drama, Jordan and Kieran have quite a bit to work through if they have any hope of being together. This takes up a major part of the book. I'm glad that it isn't easy. Both men are stubborn and have their own version of past events. Unraveling the truth, understanding their guilt and grief, and still having to deal with the weight of a family crisis is so very real. Mos
Ami
Feb 22, 2011 Ami rated it really liked it
Written in 3rd person POV from both Kieran and Jordan's perspective, Back Home is an emotionally satisfying read, without being overwhelming or overly dramatic. The revelation of what has happened between Kieran and Jordan, on the six years they were apart (including the last two years after Kieran's brother/Jordan's lover, Brad, died), are flowing in perfect pace ... not too fast but not too slow. In each chapter there are trails for readers to be invested with their story, their internal emoti ...more
Chris
May 15, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2011, ebook
Very good m/m romance about an architect from Vermont who's been living in London to avoid his brother's boyfriend, even though his brother died two years ago. Then his dad gets sick and his sister begs him to come home to help salvage the family construction company...
Adriana
06/11/2011 - Full of angst, keep tissues at hand.

16/11/2012 - Reread it and I still love it.
Ernest
Jul 25, 2011 Ernest rated it really liked it
I've always wondered why women dig this stuff. Then again, most of the M/M romance writers I've read are women in real life. Heh--it's been a long time since I've read a satisfying romantic story. Why, dammit!? Rarely do I get intense emotional highs from reading highbrow/middlebrow books. This whole month I just had to escape from that behemoth textbook, Brunner & Suddarth, or else I would have gone mad/suffocated myself. Seriously, the weight of that thing dropped over someone's head could ...more
Julesmarie
Mar 18, 2012 Julesmarie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I held off on this one for a while, even though I've loved most of the other R.J. Scott books I've read. The whole getting together with your dead brother's lover bit kindof put me off. I was leery of angsty guilt-filled confusion-riddled back and forth. But she handled it so well! Both men were grown-up and honest about their feelings, both for each other and for Brad, the dead brother. They didn't jump into something and then regret it and get all confused and push each other away, which I lov ...more
Lauren
Apr 25, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
I liked this book much more than I expected to. I'm a huge fan of R.J. Scott's work, but I'd never had any interest to read this one. I'm not sure why, but the blurb had put me off a little because it sounded far too angsty and sad. But then a friend told me to read it, and I'm SO glad she did. It was a lovely read, and it was sad like I had expected but it was also rather beautiful. I fell in love with Kieran and Jordan, and my heart broke for Brad. He had been so damaged and insecure, and I go ...more
Don Bradshaw
Jordan Salter has been running Addison Construction for two years now since the death of his partner, Brad Addison. The Addison's embraced Jordan as family and moved him into an apartment above the garage. Trouble is stirred up when Jordan is accidentally injured and Kieran Addison returns from England where he'd been living. Kieran has been in love with Jordan since he was sixteen. Can Kieran and Jordan find love with the angst and guilt each man feels? You can count on it with Ms Scott's uniq ...more
Monika
Dec 14, 2011 Monika rated it really liked it
Shelves: no-longer-have
I really enjoyed this book, it was a very emotional love story that had great characters. I have to laugh though at how many books have the younger of the two be the more mature, but strangely most of the time it seems to work. This was one of those books I found I had a hard time putting down, its the kind of book that I wish there was more of, making the reader attached to the story and then attached to the reader, since the first time I read one of RJ Scott's books I was hooked and knew I wou ...more
Paisley
Feb 24, 2012 Paisley rated it really liked it
Recommended to Paisley by: Laura
R.J. Scott writes a great drama-filled tale for sure. Sometimes I feel like I am watching a soap opera as the angst-filled plot takes me along for a major emotional roller-coaster ride. Back Home was no exception. There is drama and angst and all sorts of emotional blackmail. I was very entertained.
Karen K
**4.5 stars**
Beautiful love story - I thought the pacing, the angsty feelings of guilt (on both parties)and the gradual acceptance were all perfect and believable. As usual RJ's writing was concise,flowing and just kept me wanting more. It was Kiernan that Jordan deserved all along and together they're a couple I won't soon forget.
Enny
Apr 02, 2011 Enny rated it it was amazing
While reading this book, I had to tell myself several times that it's crazy to become all teary-eyed over some fictional characters. Back Home is a very intense book, filled with lots of angst, sweetness and undying love.
Jacq
Jul 25, 2012 Jacq rated it really liked it
Wonderful! A truly heart warming story. And OMG sizzling hot scenes, I could not put the book down. This book is well rounded and Well written. A nice treat noted, R.J. Scott gave an actual happily ever after. Loved it!
Lena Grey
Apr 12, 2011 Lena Grey rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully romantic love story with a message of honesty is always the best policy and love will find a way.The characters are outstanding and the story well told. I absolutely love this book.

⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
3.8 Stars

Wow, this one dragged me through every emotion possible didn't it? At one point I was feeling guilty even though I've never had a hard-on for a sibling's significant other...it was that visceral. Still, I very much enjoyed it. I usually do when it comes RJS's books.
Nicci
Apr 11, 2011 Nicci rated it liked it
Somewhere spinning inside his head there is a bit of guilt tripping for an incident of several years ago when Kieran as a teenager discovered he’s gay. An act instigated by his brother, Brad, and one of lasting effect. Kieran falls in love with Jordan, his brother’s lover and there isn’t one single thing he could or would do about it.

Kieran was thirteen.

Years later, after leaving home for college in England and the time he comes back home permanently, Kieran’s feelings for Jordan hasn’t change
Nerine Petros
Mar 08, 2011 Nerine Petros rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Back Home is a novel which contains quite a bit of drama. There are so many dynamics and layers to this story, hidden within the main romance, I wanted to go back and read it all a second time to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Jordan is a young man who has made his home with the family of his deceased partner, Brad. Jordan works for the family business, doing detailed construction work for major and specialist refurbishments for the company Brad would have one day inherited had he not passed
Merith
Mar 25, 2011 Merith rated it really liked it
It's not me copping out to say I liked this story, because I did. I liked Jordan and empathized with Keiren. I did have some problems with how the whole not-there love triangle went. Though RJ did a great job at showing both men feeling guilt and regret in how things had gone, and in some of what they were doing. It was a human reaction shown, a realistic one.

I had to wonder though, about Jordan's hand. It was mentioned at first a few times, but even just a couple of weeks later, not at all. You
Pam
Sep 24, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it. Jordan and Kiernan are both interesting guys, both who've experienced years of emotional pain...for different reasons. They have unique and well developed personalities and their pasts have left them deeply wounded. Yet, Ms. Scott has created two strong men that life hasn't completely crushed...only bent.

I liked the rich details of the area and the relationships within Kiernan's family. Ms. Scott did a very nice job showing the caring and love between them despite Kiernan b
Jess
Jun 03, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it
This book was a delight to read. Once again RJ Scott wrote about some pretty sensitive subjects. In this case it was guilt. Guilt over loving your brothers partner, Guilt over losing your brother but still having those feelings and Guilt over running away from his family and problems.

I couldnt give this 5 stars because I felt that there was a level of angst that this story could of reached but didnt. Let me be clearer. I cry very easily in a story (yes yes I am a sap) but I didnt cry once in thi
Caroline Brand
Nov 16, 2012 Caroline Brand rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, bingo
This was an emotional read without there being too much angst. Jordan and Kiernan are both damaged and laden with guilt which has accumulated over the years from when Jordan kissed Kiernan on his 16th birthday.

Kiernan had run off to London 6 years ago to get over Jordan who was in a relationship with his brother Brad so was out of bounds,

Brad dies in an accident and after the funeral there is another kiss which causes Kiernan to run to London for a 2nd time.

Kiernan returns home a couple of year
Judith
Apr 20, 2011 Judith rated it liked it
Almost half way read and loving it so far... why do I want Evan to be gay???
3-1/2 stars
I loved loved the first half and was just ok with the second half!!!... except the part where they confront each other and then start smooch talking. I guess I didnt get each others arguments for being mad/gone...it didn't feel legit to me. Seemed a bit hurried for such an angsty beginning. But besides that, I liked it lots!=)
I still want Evan to be gay and I want to know why he left in the first place. I dont
Maya
Apr 02, 2011 Maya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, rj-scott
With RJ it is not just about the romance. I read one of the reviewers say she should write for the movies and the reviewer is right. You can practically SEE the story unfold in front of you, and the characters are so real with real human faults. I find that in her books there is always a character, or a scene, or an emotion or even a thought that resonates deeply with me and this book is no different.

Can't wait for more from RJ.
Nic
Oct 28, 2012 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, zz-amazon-yes
A potentially difficult topic (relationship between a man and his dead brother's partner) handled really well. Lots of emotion as both men come to terms with their guilt due to their feelings and coming together after the brother/partners passing. (view spoiler)
A nice HEA. 3.5 stars
thelastaerie
May 01, 2011 thelastaerie rated it liked it
I am skipping the plot summary and just want to say that while it has an Interesting premise and at times, some touching and emotional scenes, but there's just something off in the dialog and some scenes just seem awkward... especially the scene where Jordan and Kieran reconcile. The story seems struggling to find a balance between being sensitive and sombre (given the tradegies involved) and being smutty...;)

Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Apr 17, 2012 Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!) rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-m-m
Drama & Angst...this book wasn't lacking any of it!

R.J Scott is definitely climbing to the top of my favorite authors list. Good plot...heavy story line but yet it seemed real and eventually heartwarming. I enjoyed the gradual build up to the first type of contact after K comes home. There is/was a whole lot that these guys needed to figure out in their heads (the big ones!)..it took a minute for them to catch up with their hearts.

I will recommend it to YOU!
Summer Michaels
I love RJ Scott's writing! The woman simply creates characters that make me beg for more. This story wasn't my favorite of Ms Scott's work, but it was still a good story. I felt the ending was a little rushed, issues for the couple weren't really played out or discussed. I loved the mother in this story, when you want something done right, do it yourself! Was so happy to see David taken care of.

I can't wait to grab the next RJ Scott story and inhale the amazing writing!
  • Aidan and Ethan (Seeking Redemption, #1)
  • Everything Under the Sun
  • A Place To Run (The Making of a Man, #2)
  • The Trap
  • At Piper's Point
  • Lost Treasure
  • Secondhand Heart
  • Breathe (Breathe, #1)
  • Touch Me Gently
  • A Red-Tainted Silence
  • The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)
  • Talker's Redemption (Talker, #2)
  • Summer (Seasons of Love, #2)
  • The Broken Road
  • Unshakeable Faith
  • After the End
  • Settling the Score
  • When Love Is Not Enough (Unconditional Love, #1)
RJ's goal is to write stories with a heart of romance, a troubled road to reach happiness, and most importantly, that hint of a happily ever after.

RJ Scott is the bestselling author of over one hundred romance books. She writes emotional stories of complicated characters, cowboys, millionaire, princes, and the lovers who get mixed up in their lives. RJ is known for writing books that always end wi
More about R.J. Scott...

“If time and space are curved where do all the straight people come from?” 9 likes