Start by marking “The Golden Goose” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Golden Goose

Jacob Grimm

The Golden Goose

It's a day like any other when young Hans enters the forest to chop wood for his father. Then he discovers the Golden Goose.

With gentle humor Dennis McDermott brings children a delightful traditional tale with a favorite folkloric theme--the success of someone who's kind and good. His endearing illustrations show Hans, the young hero, and Rosamund, the beautiful princess

Published by Sharon Publications Inc. (first published 1812)

Matt Vagts
Traditional literature book #5
This is a story about the eldest son who goes out in the forest to cut down a tree. An old man asks him for some food and a drink. The eldest son shares with him and in return gets a golden goose. He takes the golden goose to an inn where three daughters get stuck to the goose. As the eldest son heads to the king, people keep getting stuck to the goose. As he approaches the castle the princess who has never laughed before starts laughing. The king had said whoever c
Wren (WrensReads)
I have the complete set of the Grimm Fairy-Tales, and there are so many that I haven’t read! They are very short, as one would know, so I have decided to read each one and give them a review. Some are very vulgar, some are very cute and some don’t even make sense. Some of them are well known fairy-tales and some have never been told. Some are fairy-tales we know but are not the same because they have been downplayed for the children.

I quickly read this book after I finished The Fairy’s Return b
Sherry Wolfe
Aug 21, 2015 Sherry Wolfe rated it it was amazing
Well I finally got to read the Golden Goose after someone made a reference to the story in conversation last night. I definitely enjoyed it.
Sophie Cox
Dec 12, 2014 Sophie Cox rated it liked it
The story was a good one and was quite amazing to imagine lots of people all stuck to each other and trying not to stand on each other's feet.
Cindy
Jul 19, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
The boy Simpleton, does more with his act of kindness, than any one who had a different agenda...and in the end he came off the winner.
Aug 25, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
I found this is a little more hard to enjoy as it was one of the more eccentric fairy-tales.
Ale
Apr 08, 2016 Ale rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
Todas las historias de los hermanos Grimm tienen algo, un no sé qué, que me encantan
Opal Penny
Feb 20, 2016 Opal Penny rated it really liked it
All I can say is I liked it.
Carole
A woman had three sons; the first two were talented but selfish and didn't succeed. The third was not talented but he was kind and ended up far exceeding the success of his brothers.
Megan
Sweet fairy tale gently showing the rewards that come from showing kindness. The illustrations are the best part of the book; they show much more than is ever mentioned in the text.
♥Magic Wonderland☯♥☮
Dummling the youngest of his other two brothers goes into the woods to cut down the tree, as the other brothers failed to do that before him..
Brenda
Dec 10, 2013 Brenda rated it liked it
Silly story, that while well written, I failed to see the point. Why did everyone get stuck together?
Myles
Oct 27, 2009 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because there was a golden goose and I like the illustrations.
Sara
Jul 25, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and captivating illustrations. Sweet story.
Teri
Oct 11, 2013 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enchanting--my kids LOVED it!
Jennifer Hoso
Jennifer Hoso rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Ebster Davis
Ebster Davis rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Susie
Susie added it
Sep 09, 2016
Molino
Molino rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Sonia M
Sonia M rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Virna
Virna rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2016
Kelly Swaim
Kelly Swaim rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Mandie
Mandie rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Natalie Light
Natalie Light rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
  • The Tinderbox
  • Rose Red & Snow White: A Grimms Fairy Tale
  • The Book of Wizard Craft: In Which the Apprentice Finds Spells, Potions, Fantastic Tales & 50 Enchanting Things to Make
  • The Nightingale
  • Hilary Knight's Cinderella
  • The Princess and the White Bear King W/CD
  • The Crane Wife
  • The Swan Princess
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...