Blank-133x176
The Secrets of Power N...

Roger Dawson

The Secrets of Power Negotiating-Cassette

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Secrets of Power Negotiating covers every aspect of the negotiating process with practical, proven advice: from beginning steps to critical final moves, how to recognize unethical tactics, key principles to the Power Negotiating strategy, why money is not as important as everyone thinks, negotiating pressure points, understanding the other party and gaining the upper hand,...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1990 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1988)

Alexander
Sep 05, 2007 Alexander rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Do yourself a favor. Next time instead of a lunch break, go to the bookstore and find this book. Simply go through each chapter and at the end of most chapters, there are a list of bullet points that summarize the chapter's ideas.

There are 50 some chapters, but not every chapter has a bullet point list and not ever chapter is applicable (e.g., negotiation methods of Americans). I can't imagine this taking more than 45 minutes to finish.

but... if you have the real time and desire to read this boo...more
Nicholas
Colin
At first read, a classic this is not. "Secrets" is a stretch. More like: "Anecdotes that worked once or twice for me, so the approach might work for you. (Just buy my book.)"

This book definitely does not instantly create a power negotiator. The author's approach and recommendations seem ineffective and, sometimes, crass.

That said, I'm willing to give them a shot. I will let you know if they work. Anyone want to buy a 2004 Honda Civic?
Maen
يعتبر هاد الكتاب من أفضل ما قرأت من ناحية المامو بمعظم تكنيكات تفاوض القوة أو التفاوض التوزيعي..يعاب عليه عدم وجود أي حالات عملية أو دراسات حالة في نهاية كل قسم أو فصل مقارنة بكتب أخرى..
Franco Arda
among the 3 best books on negotation
Mike Ogilvie
When I picked up this "book" (Audio CD), I was a little skeptical but needed something to listen to in the car. I was thinking "I'm gonna get a bunch of weirdo techniques on sales techniques for career salespeople."

I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. There are a lot of great techniques, but they're all very grounded and reasonable from the perspective of someone looking to build lasting relationships with clients and partners. In fact, he goes to some length to get the reader to understand t...more
Nic Brisbourne
"The first reason I like this book is Roger’s solution driven approach to negotiations. Most deals are complicated and there are many elements that can be traded off against each other if the negotiators are skilled enough to listen and find out what is important to the other side. As Roger notes repeatedly throughout the book there may be concessions you can make which cost you little or nothing but are meaningful for the other side. In-experienced negotiators, however, are more prone to gett...more
Jacob
I'm not familiar with the world of negotiating, but this feels like a fairly comprehensive yet quick review of it. The tone is extremely conversational and easy to read, and the chapters tend to be just a few pages so it's easy to read in short bites. The author is pretty good at illustrating his point to make sure you understand what he's saying, and his principles are heavily focused on fair play and coming to a mutually beneficial agreement.

He covers negotiating tactics which he calls Gambits...more
Robert
The secret of getting what you want is all about negotiation. The better negotiator you are the better chances you have at a positive outcome. Some people seem to be born with the ability to negotiate but that doesn't mean that others can learn the skills that will improve their abilities. This book is thus an excellent resources for those who want to under the practicalities and winning strategies behind successful negotiation.

For those who are not born negotiators I think that it will take a f...more
Kendel Christensen
The principles from this book are a necessity. I'd say I have found myself in 80% of the situations he describes:

From strong-armed coercion to the tendency to put off a making a commitment until the last moment, his rules and tips are extremely illuminating.

I especially loved the parts about understanding how people think and getting to see things from their perspective.
Melissa
Oct 28, 2008 Melissa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
As I neared the end of the book, I got increasing frustrated with Dawson and his views of power retention and power loss. Plus he misunderstood Maslow's third step to happiness/fulfillment. It's not the need to be liked as he proposed, but the need to be social, to have people around you. Thus, he is wrong when he says Power Negotiators skip over that step since they don't need to be liked. If anything, they require that step more than anyone else because without people, who would they negotiate...more
Jerry
A pretty good book on negotiating techniques.

He presents some rules:
Rule 1: There Are Multiple Issues In Every Negotiation
Rule 2: People Don't Want The Same Thing
Rule 3: Don't Assume They Want What You Want

Describes the stages of negotiation:
The First Stage: Establish Criteria
The Second Stage: Gather Information
The Third Stage: Reach For Compromise

He talks about Personality Types and Body Language.

And presents some negotiating tactics such as:
Nibbling, Hot potato, Higher authority, the Trade-of...more
John Knox
Jan 21, 2008 John Knox rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: practicalreading
Read this book and you'll probably end up with a very different view of negotiation. Some things, like the "silent close" are quite difficult to actually implement -- but are crazy powerful.

I was amazed at how difficult it is to actually ask for what you want. Social norms make it hard to ask for money, but practice makes it easier.

If you want easy cash try this trick I discovered. When you're getting work done on your car, ask for a "customer loyalty discount". Worked every time! Magic free mon...more
Alexander Temerev
Despite the dubious name, this is a real gem. Can't recommend it enough.
Andrew Gallagher
This is a top notch book. While Dawson may be more aggressive then I ever will be, there is a big value in understanding the tricks and tactics that he outlines in this book. I have been in sales for fifteen years, and was able to recognize that a lot of these have been used against me in negotiations. The power in just understanding the other side is amazing. I would recommend this to other sales people, or anyone who plans on making any sort of major purchase. This book will pay for itself.
Robert
Roger helps you laugh at -- while giving you some insight into -- some of the things that happen during "negotiations," while also revealing that some discussions you have are actually negotiations. A grounded, anecdotal, and entertaining companion to Getting to Yes.
Breccan
Not as good a negotiation book as titles like Bargaining for Advantage and Negotiation Genius. Roger is much more focussed on the mechanics of the back and forth on particular issues though. As such, there's a lot of information in there that I found useful relating to how some people negotiate, particularly those from more of a sales background.
Aleksey
Excellent book. If you think about it, we constantly negotiate with others on matters big and small. If you want something, you should negotiate well, or at least be aware of negotiation techniques that exist. The author describes each technique, teaches the reader when to use it, and teaches how to tell when it's being used on you.
Kevin Connery
Some good tips on negotiating. Some I consider seriously unethical (that the author defended as legitimate tactice), and the author even included some HE said he felt were unethical (’for defensive purposes only’), but there was a lot of good info in it on negotiation in general.
Mark Sobralske
If you're a small business owner, this book is a must read. I've used the information in this book over and over when negotiating leases, laundry services for my business, jewelry, and many others.
I highly recommend this book.
Kent
This was a nice CD set about negotiating. It got a little redundant about halfway through the set but the message is good. As always, the secret to any good negotiation is to be prepared.
Edwin
Very practical, from business negotiation to haggling in the flee market. Win-win negotiation is a myth. Get the most out of your opponent and yet make him believes that he wins.
Doris
The first few chapters were greant. The rest were very detail intensive on actually performing negotiations techniques. I want to revisit this book when i have more time.
David Millar
Only the first half is worth reading, but very useful tactics for negotiating. Helped me with my salary negotiation with my new job.
Hergycah
very detail in learning negotiate which can give win-win solution, someone will leave the negotiate place with plesure
Cathy
It was a good starter book on negotiating, some of its common sense, the other half I'll have to see if it'll work...
Dan Graham
This is probably the best negotiation book I've read. Great stories, good tips and an easy to read writing style
Tony Canas
Interesting and informative. Will re-read it once I find myself in a job where negotiating is an important part.
Contour Bali
must read books: it will make you be a winner in any part of life. Yes, every time in your life is negotiating
Guy
Extremely useful book with lots of anecdotes and examples. Comes in handy in all areas of life.
  • Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient & Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity
  • Monk and the Riddle: The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur
  • Getting Past No Negotiating Your Way from Confrontation to Cooperation
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • You Can Negotiate Anything: The World's Best Negotiator Tells You How To Get What You Want
  • Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
  • Beyond Reason: Using Emotions as You Negotiate
  • The Aladdin Factor
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • Accelerated Learning Techniques
  • 25 Ways to Win with People: How to Make Others Feel Like a Million Bucks
  • Het weekend van 7 dagen
  • Leadership Wisdom from the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
  • How to Work a Room, 25th Anniversary Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Making Lasting Connections--In Person and Online
  • Negotiation Genius: How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Brilliant Results at the Bargaining Table and Beyond
  • The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less
  • Are Your Lights On?: How to Figure Out What the Problem Really is
Secrets of Power Persuasion: Everything You'll Ever Need to Get Anything You'll Ever Want Secrets of Power Negotiating: 15th Anniversary Edition (Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator) Secrets of Power Negotiating for Salespeople: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator Secrets of Power Persuasion for Salespeople Beyond Goals