Start by marking “New Ideas from Dead CEOs” as Want to Read:
New Ideas from Dead CEOs

New Ideas from Dead CEOs

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  13 reviews
New Ideas from Dead CEOs uncovers the secrets of success of great CEOs by giving readers an intimate look at their professional and personal lives. Why did Ray Kroc's plan for McDonald's thrive when many burger joints failed? And how, decades later, did Krispy Kreme fail to heed Kroc's hard-won lessons? How did Walt Disney's most dismal day as a young cartoonist radically ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about New Ideas from Dead CEOs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Ideas from Dead CEOs

Robert
New Ideas from Dead CEOs: Lasting Lessons from the Corner Office
Todd Buchholz
Collins

The ideas on which Todd Buchholz focuses in this book were obviously “new” at one time but have by now become widely-adopted core concepts for achieving and then sustaining success in business. For example, almost all of the ideas about salesmanship that Thomas J. Watson, Sr. institutionalized so effectively at IBM and his son Thomas Jr. then refined were developed years earlier at National Cash Register when CE
Matthew
Sep 29, 2007 Matthew rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs
Plutarch wrote his paired biographies of eminent Romans and Greeks to inspire and teach, after realising that retelling a person's life can make for more effective moral instruction than abstract philosophizing. Buchholtz, I presume, is going for a similar approach here with 9 vignettes of individuals who built what are now some of the world's largest corporations.

His style is annoyingly ditty and American at times, especially at the end of chapters when he lauds his subjects' perseverance and e
LeikHong Leow
This book is really inspiring in fact that the author took a few great example from the really successful CEOs, like: IBM, Wal-Mart, McDonal's, Diney, Sony and....just to name few.

One thing in common among all these CEOs apart from being dead, they went through the period of World War II, (some even World War I) the great US economic depression. Faced huge challenged in their early part in life and turn crisis into opportunity and making history.

Read it for yourself.....
Michael
The book is a group of stories of CEOs that have lived in our century.

I like the book because I find biographies fun to read. Each chapter was a new story so it was fun to learn about people that I've either heard of but don't know much about or haven't heard of all like AP Gianini.

Read this book if you are looking for a brief history of people in the business world or your planning on playing Jeopardy soon.
Karen
This book was an interesting and quick read. Buchholz cleverly interweaves the life stories of CEOs of well-know companies, such as Mary Kay, Estee Lauder, IBM, and Bank of America, with their drive, focus, and determination to create, build, and develop their companies. Buchholz also exposes lessons and business practices from these entrepreneurs that continue to influence and benefit corporations today.
Rebecca
Brief short snaps of what have made some of the most sucessful companies of recent times. The common theme was they all had someone believ in them at some point in there lives that they would be "someone". However not all were your typical highly educated, come from the right family types as well. It made me think if you put your mind to something and you make a calculated risk at the right time.
Kevin Farrell
Great book. Fun to read and packed with real life lessons that can be used by the rest of us non-CEOs. Buchholz digs into the personal past as well as behind the scenes decisions that make up the story of each CEO. I read with fascination about each and every one of the 9 people that he has chosen to examine.
Chris
I spoke at a conference in Vail and Todd Buckholz was the keynote. This guy has a very interesting background and I have never had a lecture on global economics come across so simple and relate so well to the world today while still making me laugh. Great speaker...I bought the book on the spot.
Ashley Moore
I had to read this for college!! I liked it! It gives you a history lesson on many successful dead CEOs, each chapter is a different CEO. My Favorite Chapter was About Mary Kay & Estée Lauder!!
Anne Lawrence
I enjoyed the book and insights. Some of the stories I knew. Other stories were new and offered great perspective.
Matt Price
Good read. Some of it seemed strangely worded. The Ray Kroc chapter is a must-read.
Annmarie Kostyk
Excellent book. A brilliant combination of business and biography.
Joe
excellent!
Hari Mohan
Hari Mohan marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Vlatko Dimov
Vlatko Dimov marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Patrick N.
Patrick N. is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Abdelrahman
Abdelrahman marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Andrew Poirier
Andrew Poirier marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
상원 이
상원 이 marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sophia Davidson
Sophia Davidson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Malia Javier
Malia Javier marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A well-known American economist and a former senior economic advisor at the White House, Buchholz holds advanced degrees from Cambridge University and Harvard, where he won the Allyn Young Teaching Prize. Buchholz is known for being on the short list for Federal Reserve considerations in 2006. He frequently writes for newspapers such as The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, in addition t ...more
More about Todd G. Buchholz...
New Ideas from Dead Economists: An Introduction to Modern Economic Thought From Here to Economy: A Shortcut to Economic Literacy Rush: Why You Need and Love the Rat Race The Castro Gene Bringing the Jobs Home: How the Left Created the Outsourcing Crisis--and How We CanFix It