Rain (Hudson, #1)

Rain (Hudson #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  4,000 ratings  ·  67 reviews
RAIN ALREADY KNOWS HOW HARD LIFE CAN BE. BUT SHE IS ABOUT TO DISCOVER A SHATTERING SECRET FROM THE PAST THAT WILL CHANGE HER FUTURE FOREVER....

Growing up in the ghettos of Washington, D.C., the cards are stacked against a hardworking dreamer like Rain Arnold. Rain has fought to be the best daughter she can: she studies hard and gets good grades; she helps her mother cook

Published February 8th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain

TheFountainPenDiva
Epic Fail Alert!!!

I admit it.

The only reason I purchased a copy of this book was to see how well a black lead character would fare in V.C. Andrews-land. I'll also admit that I'll be reading the next two as well. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I should have known better than to expect anything than trite stereotypes. Rain Arnold, hardworking black girl from the ghetto (Point of Fail #1: Why are all black people assumed to be from the ghetto? Didn't anyone ever watch The Cosby Show?) with a lo...more
rebellyell666
Inhalt:

Die junge Rain Arnold wächst in einer Armensiedlung namens The Projects auf. Ihr Bruder Roy ist älter, ihre unbändige Schwester Beni jünger und ihr Vater ist ein Taugenichts. Allein ihre Mutter arbeitet Tag für Tag als Aushilfe im Supermarkt, um die Rechnungen bezahlen zu können. Eines Tages, als ihr Vater sich verplappert, erfährt sie, woher sie wirklich stammt: Aus einer reichen Familie, die die Schwangerschaft ihrer Tochter vertuschen wollte…

Schreib-/Erzählstil:

Unverkennbar Andrews, ab...more
Dawn
Jan 04, 2009 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys V. C. Andrews books.
Recommended to Dawn by: I have read all the books by V. C. Andrews.
This is the first book in the Hudson series. I have read many of V. C. Andrews books over the years and this is one of the series I really enjoyed. My favorites by this author were The Dollanganger Family Series, The Casteel Family Series, The Cutler Family Series & The Landry Family Series. Some of the recent series that have been brought out since this author's death have been good, but not every book in a series were enjoyable. The Hudson Series was an exception. I enjoyed every book in t...more
Nikki
This is my first V.C. Andrews book I have ever read. I will say I will definitely be reading more of her books. I went to high school with a bunch of girls that read her books, and I have owned some for awhile, I just never got into reading one til yesterday, and yes I read it in one day. It was a quick read, and for me it engaged me right from the start. The conflict and turmoil starts right at the beginning and continues throughout the book. I kept being left wondering, "What will happen next?...more
Judith
The first V.C. Andrews series with a black main character. I read it only for that reason. At this time, I was 13 and my interest for V.C. Andrews books had already peaked and waned.
Lorna
Total sobbing shyte
Kim Smiley
Kaitlyn

Rain has never really felt like she’s had a home. The book ‘Rain’ by V.C. Andrews tells the reader about one teenage girl’s life and her problems she faces throughout the novel. I think the theme of this book is that money or being rich can’t give love or a place to call ‘home’. The reason why I felt this was the theme is because she was sent to a newer and safer home, but she didn’t want all that. Instead she would rather live in her old home in the ghettos where she grew up and was loved by pe...more
Kathryn
One of the first truly disappointing V.C. Andrews sagas to hit the shelves. While the early ghost written sagas were not perfect, they remained entertaining and entirely readable melodramas. In many ways Rain feels like a watered down (no pun intended) version of the first novel in V.C. Andrews Cutler series (also written by ghostwriter Andrew Neiderman).

In Rain, a young black girl discovers that she is adopted and that her biological mother is white and very wealthy. After the somewhat sensati...more
Rissy
Anne Marie
Since I've read many VC Andrews novels, this first book in the Hudson series seems good, but predictable based on other novels by the same author. (Brother - sister relationships) I like the main character, Rain. She's a strong person based on her growing up in the bad part of town, but weak when it comes to boys, like Corbette (what kind of a boy's name is that?!). Now she's off to London to pursue a career in acting. It seems very similar to the main character in Flowers in the Attic pursuing...more
Delicious Strawberry
After the decently-written Logan series, Andrew Neiderman wrote two mini-series (which were not awful, but not VCA-ish) and I was glad when he went back to writing a regular series. But I was disappointed. This was lacking in the same dark feel and mystery of the real VCA books as well as the three full series Mr. Neiderman wrote. (Granted, the Melody series was a bit different, but it was considerably better than the Rain series)

The problem wasn't that Rain was biracial or anything like that. T...more
Liz
I have to say I was pleased with this book overall. Neiderman did a good job at making the plot interesting and it made the reader want to keep on to see what happened next. Even though it was predictable, I still enjoyed the Andrews' theme, or the attempted reproduction of it, I just love books like these. Girl has a dramatic life, has dramatic encounters with guys who might or might not be related to her, cat fights, its just wonderful. I devour dramas, good or bad.
However, the characters are...more
J.N.
Rain is the story of a teenage black girl who lives in the ghetto of Washington, D.C., with her family. After a family tragedy occurs, Rain is shocked when she learns that her family isn't her real family. To save Rain from the harsh life in the city, her mother sends her back to her real family, who are white and rich (her black father was a man her mother had a fling with in college but his location is unknown). Rain must deal with having two families and learning the dark secrets of her famil...more
Ketisha
Loved this book so much I just had to get the rest of the series
Stephanie Tuell
this is the first book in the hudson series. it's about how rain finds out the truth about her family. she is quickly moved from the poorest of neighborhoods to the richest. i am a fan of v.c. andrews, but not of this book. i find that the book doesn't prepare you for the rest of the series. there is alot of unneeded jibberish. like beni. what really is her point? she doesn't really have a need in the book. roy is pointless, but not as pointless as beni. i've decided not to read the rest of the...more
Sunny

It was a well done story and it took me to read all...more
I honestly loved this book. Andrews did a fantastic job of portraying how horrible rain's life was in the Ghettos. Rain is an amazing character; she is just like her grandmother Hudson. I am inferring that if rain were a real person, I would be friends with her.

I like how Andrews wrote this book making sure to have cliff-hangers and shocking revelations throughout. It was very interesting and I cannot wait to read lightning strikes!
Angel **Book Junkie**
I love Rain and I love her story. This book is no where near as good as Flowers in the Attic but I have to say the entire series had its ups and downs. The first book in the story was great and I loved it the only problem I have with the book is what is up with the brothers falling in love with the sisters. If you lived your life as a brother then you should love someone as your sister not as something more. Strange .. Otherwise I love Rain!
Jules Mitchell
a typical virginia andrews book, predictable
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I enjoyed reading this book. It does leave off where you are wondering some things, this was obviously done so you will pick up the 2nd book in the series :) I will get to it eventually. The only think I didnt like is that its starting to seem that the VC Andrews books have the same plot... poor girl, goes to live with some wealthy family member etc etc...
Jackie
Don't know why I am so hooked on V.C. Andrews. Rain is half white half African American. She learns that her parents took in to raise her when a rich white girl got pregnant by a black boy. She ends up going to live with her rich grandmother under the pretense of being a companion. It ends with Rain going to England to attend an acting school.
Robin
I felt for the little girl in this book. She went through hell in her life then to be told your parents aren't your real parents. Her life turned upside down. Her only mother that she knew dies and her real one can't take her because of stupid reasons. She makes it through a really tough begin hopefully everything works for her in the next book.
Debbie
This book was really good! There were times when I couldn't put it down, I had to know what was going to happen to her. There were also times when I caught myself crying....that girl had a hard life. I'm reading the next Lightning Strikes, and on my way to the book store to get more books...after this one I will have no more!!
Debs
I really struggled to get into this story and thought for half the book it was going to be about nothing more than the ghettos and how awful life was. It did eventually turn itself around to a more positive storyline with much richer characterisation and storylines. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series now.
Samaira
Great characters and story. Always her novels follow the same kind of lineage but I've always enjoyed all of her series and separates.
Shirlene Eliathamby
I loved this series I hope this continues and I look forward to another book on this. Why don't you acknowledge the past like when Summer and Harley went to the projects, and Rain and Roy went down to pick them up. I could not put this book down.
Megan
I don't know, it was nice enough. I don't think I'll read the rest of the series unless it was right in front of me (I wouldn't go looking for them). The book really wasn't that bad. It just didn't grab me and shake me.
Tina86
a quick sad read which kept me interested the whole way through.

I love reading novels by VC Andrews and this one didn't disappoint however it wasn't as good as her other books.

better suited to young adults.

xoxo
Carrie
I read through this whole book in less than 24 hours. Just like other V.C. Andrews books I've read, it was a great read. I can't wait to get through the rest of the books in this series.
I don't understand this... 6 17 May 15, 2014 03:54PM
Insomnia Book Club: Rain by V.C. Andrews 8 8 Apr 12, 2012 01:30PM
  • The First Scream (Fear Park, #1)
  • Love, Lies, and Jessica Wakefield (Sweet Valley University, #2)
  • When the Wind Blows
  • De Gelukkige Huisvrouw (Dutch Edition)
  • Journey
  • The Invitation (Point Horror, #20)
  • Straydog
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man w...more
More about V.C. Andrews...
Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2) If There Be Thorns (Dollanganger, #3) Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4) Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5)