Start by marking “Deep Storm” as Want to Read:
Deep Storm

Deep Storm (Jeremy Logan #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  19,770 Ratings  ·  780 Reviews

On an oil platform in the middle of the North Atlantic, a terrifying series of illnesses is spreading through the crew. When expert naval doctor Peter Crane is flown in, he finds his real destination is not the platform itself but Deep Storm: a
Published July 19th 2011 by Anchor (first published March 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Storm, please sign up.

Bryan Hoogewerf The following is from an author's note promoting the latest Logan novel.

The following is from an author's note promoting the latest Logan novel.

Considering that Jeremy Logan—an “enigmalogist” who studies phenomena beyond the bounds of regular science, and who proves (or disproves) things that most people would label occult or supernatural—is my main series character, his beginnings were very inauspicious. In fact, he first appeared in just a single chapter of my third novel, Deep Storm, as a researcher who stumbles upon a particularly important and unsettling fact that changes the course of the rest of the book. Logan didn’t even have a name at that point.

As it turns out, my editor was much taken with the setting of that brief introduction, and with the character of Logan (however much a character can be delineated within the bounds of a single chapter), and urged me to send him on to do greater things. Coincidentally, this recommendation meshed with something that I had already been thinking about a great deal. Always a reader of ghost and horror stories, I was curious about the relatively forgotten mystery-thriller genre of the “ghost breaker” or “supernatural sleuth.” This was something that was very popular about a hundred years ago but, from my experience anyway, seemed less common today.

And so, I set about turning Jeremy Logan, Yale professor of history, into someone who spent his off hours as a ghost detective; a researcher into the strange and inexplicable. There had been at least a faint hint of this fascination of mine as far back as Relic, my first collaboration with Doug Preston, but now I brought it fore and center. Even so, Logan made a rather gradual entrance onto the stage. In my novel following Deep Storm, Terminal Freeze, he has a lot more “screen time,” and yet is still not the obvious protagonist. It was not until the next book, The Third Gate, that he emerged fully fleshed out as the headline-catching enigmalogist of that story and the books that followed.(less)
Onyx In a series, sometimes I find it helpful to go back and reread the "regurgitated plot" , especially when I've waited a long time for the next book and…moreIn a series, sometimes I find it helpful to go back and reread the "regurgitated plot" , especially when I've waited a long time for the next book and forgot what has happened in the previous ones. But I definitely agree about the spoilers! There should always be a spoiler alert.(less)

Matthew
Another great Lincoln Child mystery (actually, this is the first of his solo projects I have read, but it has a similar feel to the ones he wrote with Preston). Sci-fi, twists and turns, shocking surprises, action sequences - from ancient documents to aliens - this book has it all!

The only reason only 4 stars is it did not keep moving through the center of the book. It seemed for quite some time there were a lot of scenes, but no advancement of the plot. But, it is just a minor complaint.

If you
J213
Apr 26, 2012 J213 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action movie and sci-fi thriller, but above all else, fluff. To me, Deep Storm is "one of those books." The kind you can you find on a rack in an airport, at a grocery store and in the $1 bin at a used book store. Fluff in the sense that it's pure escapism and temporary entertainment and I say "temporary" because once it's over, you've gained nothing about the world or about humanity. I realize that that might be an arrogant thing to say and I understand that there are always things to be learne ...more
Jaksen
Feb 14, 2016 Jaksen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good enough adventure story, set at the bottom of the Atlantic where the ruins of Atlantis - maybe - have been found. A lot of technical detail and research went into this novel, and though not my favorite by Mr. Child, I would not hesitate to read further in this series by him.

(In fact, I'd already read 'The Forgotten Room,' No. 4 in the series and absolutely loved it.)

Where it bogs down is in all the characters rushing around from the middle to the end. (I call this the 'Lost Effect,' named
Tanja Berg
Oct 05, 2012 Tanja Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have shunned Lincoln Child, lifted my nose against this author when not as a duo with Douglas Preston. How unnecessary! This is the first book I've read by Child only and it was just as much fun. There is little to no precious insight into the human condition here, but I have to have variation. This was a a very entertaining science fiction thriller.

Dr. Crane is called out to the oil-drilling platform of Deep Storm because the crew is suffering from various ailments. Not on the platform itsel
WendyB
May 22, 2017 WendyB rated it liked it
Shelves: own, ha-tbr-challenge
Quick read, only somewhat entertaining.
Brian Steele
Feb 22, 2011 Brian Steele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, thriller, adventure
There are going to be some obvious comparisons between this book and Michael Crichton's Sphere. Well, I loved both, each for their own story. While both deal with a mix of military & scientists deep underwater investigating a mysterious artifact, with tons of plot twists, each tale is presented differently.

Ultimately, Child's novel is less personal and more epic. There are quite a number of characters and sub-plots, textbooks worth of scientific information being thrown at you during the in
Tom Tischler
Deep Storm is a spectacular science research facility lying deep beneath the Atlantic on the
ocean floor. It's purpose is to excavate a recently discovered undersea site that may hold
the answers to a mystery seeped in centuries of myth. Peter Crane a former naval doctor is
summoned to a remote oil platform in the Atlantic to help diagnose a medical condition
spreading through the rig workers. When he arrives he learns that the real trouble lies far
below the rig. Sworn to secrecy he descends to the
kingshearte
Dec 14, 2009 kingshearte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, fiction, fluff
Former naval doctor Peter Crane is urgently summoned to a remote oil platform in the North Atlantic to help diagnose a bizarre medical condition spreading through the rig. But when he arrives, Crane learns that the real trouble lies far below -- on "Deep Storm," a stunningly advanced science research facility built two miles beneath the surface on the ocean floor. The top-secret structure has been designed for one purpose: to excavate a recently discovered undersea site that may hold the answers ...more
hayden
This was another hand-me-down airport novel donated from the lovely mother. Here's the deal with Deep Storm: while reading it, I felt super conflicted. It was written really well, the story was interesting enough, and the plot moved at a whiplash-breakneck-pace, yet I couldn't have wanted to put it down more. Seriously. My extreme need to drop this book where I stood (or, more accurately, sat) was immeasurably high, for an inexplicable reason. But I did.

In Deep Storm, there was a lot of submarin
Mangzilla
Tyson Adams
Nov 18, 2011 Tyson Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't often that scientists are the good guys. Usually they are the bad guys or at least facilitate things going horribly wrong or they are socially inept losers. This time it is the military trying to ruin the planet.... I suppose you can't do away with every cliche.

Lincoln Child of the widely successful Preston and Child writing duo, wrote this stand-alone novel, Deep Storm. Dr Peter Crane is a medical scientist recruited the help discover what is ailing a military and scientific team opera
Cheryl
Apr 01, 2017 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Misleading to call this a part of the Jeremy Logan series

Right before this book I read FULL WOLF MOON, the 5th book in the Jeremy Logan series. I liked it so much that I downloaded the other four books in the series, with DEEP STORM showing as the first. Well, out of this whole lengthy book, Jeremy Logan is mentioned on one, maybe two, pages.

That clarified, I really did enjoy this offering from author Lincoln Child.

Retired Naval Dr. Peter Crane is summoned to the Storm King oil platform forty mi
Jessie Frederick
Nov 18, 2016 Jessie Frederick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. I maybe could give this 3.5 stars, but rounding up to 4 seemed too generous, so 3 it is. It's not that there's any specific thing wrong with Deep Storm, I just wasn't dying to read the next chapter. But I did like the story overall.

I read this as an ebook on my phone, so that probably contributed to my average rating. Reading a full-length novel on your phone is not the most enjoyable way to read a book. I also was somewhat overwhelmed by all the technical jargon
Becca-Rawr
May 17, 2010 Becca-Rawr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challange-10
Lincoln Child blew me away with this one. I'm a huge, huge fan, and I've always loved his solo-novels, but this one has to be my favorite of his.

This book is pretty sneaky. It likes to smirk a bit when it leads you astray, and then laugh in your face when you find out the plot has twisted. I had my theories, from page one, and said theories changed, morphed, were pulled apart, thrown away, re-born, etc... and I still got surprised in the end.

He wastes no time, every page is just packed with awes
Darcy
Dec 30, 2008 Darcy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got about 150 pages into this, and realized that I just didn't care anymore! I think the concept of this book is interesting, but Child's writing is frustrating. He seems to want to "wow" us with his knowledge of technical jargon in the medical, military, AND computer fields. Throw in some vocabulary about oil platforms and submarines, and you've basically got the book. The protagonist is a flat character, one you never really care about because he's got no personality.
Overall, disappointing,
Ms. Nikki
This read just didn't hold my interest. It felt as if the author was trying to make it into some big blockbuster, but it was not.

The main character, Crane, kept repeating his actions over and over again. I'll give him some slack because he had limited access to what was going on so he kept running into human walls.

The characters were dense and unconvincing to the point where I just couldn't bring myself to care about survival.

So, I guess this read really irritated me. Crane was basically a usele
Ralph McEwen
Nov 12, 2010 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book get 4 stars because I enjoyed it so much that I picked it up for the third time and started reading it before I realized I had read it already and didn‘t stop there.. This is a fast moving story a real page turner. No real deep characters or involved interactions, just good scene work and lots of action.
Dixie
Nov 25, 2012 Dixie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a great book. could not put it down. crazily real. adding to my favorites shelf. love this writer. I get his books as soon as they come out and I don't read them fast, as I know they will be very good. space them out.
John Yelverton
A good book that keeps your attention, but it just doesn't quite have the punch that I thought it would.
Heidi
Jun 04, 2017 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-goal
Thriller meets science fiction isn't always my cup of tea, but the twists kept me turning pages. And the last few chapters were classic Child-Preston without Preston.

Both authors are accomplished thriller writers together and it's clear they both work just as well alone too.

On a personal note, this was more science and technology than I care for, however, the big reveal was so great, I managed to get thru the technical info waiting for the action to continue.

Eric
This is one of those "I have something vital to the survival of everyone in the book to tell you but I can't tell you now while I'm talking to you I have to wait to tell you because it's so important I can only tell you in person" books.
Chuck Engelhardt
Oct 23, 2015 Chuck Engelhardt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep Storm is another winner. I starts out a bit slow but certainly picks up as it goes. Without giving too much detail as to provide a spoiler, the story revolves around a monumental and mysterious discovery. I found the evolution of the characters' interpretation of the discovery to be fascinating. How views changed over both time with additional experience and among groups based on their specific agendas was brilliantly depicted.

I have to chuckle to myself a little when I think about what L
Kara Jorges
Dec 20, 2012 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of the old Preston/Child formula who haven’t quite warmed to Agent Aloysius Pendergast can stop fretting. Lincoln Child does a bang-up job with that particular plotline in this novel.

The man of science who gets pulled in over his head—literally—in this book is Dr. Peter Crane, who is summoned to the Storm King deep sea drilling platform near Greenland to treat some medical maladies of the crew. He knows there’s more to it than his bosses in the government are letting on when they make him s
Rai
Oct 22, 2008 Rai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unputdownable thriller!

Deep Storm is one of the best thrillers I've ever read. It has flawless pacing, an incredibly interesting story, an excellent sense of place, non-stop action, and just the right amount of character development. It has a tantalizing touch of the paranormal, a mysterious historical event that keeps surprising and unfolding, along with a great setting. The setting of an offshore oil rig and deepsea lab offers an intimacy of place, exotic to the everyday person, that envelops
Maik
Apr 28, 2010 Maik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Atlantis? Ein Raumschiff? Ein Endlager für atomaren Müll? Eine aktive Waffe, geeignet diesen Teil des Universums mit Hilfe zweier umeinander kreisender Schwarzer Löcher aus Materie und Antimatierie zu atomisieren? Was ist es, wonach das unglaubliche Regierungsprojekt in der Tiefsee unterhalb der Erdölplattform Deep Storm bis in die Mohorovičić-Diskontinuität bohrt?Gnädigerweise ist das Ziel der Anstrengungen nicht Atlantis...
Und ist diese Rezension hier etwa ein Spoiler? Ja, das ist sie! Allerdi
Doug
Jan 13, 2013 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
I finished reading Lincoln Child’s Deep Storm today. When I read the synopsis I was really excited and thought the book was going to be about something I really liked, searching for and finding something thought to be only a legend. The synopsis read, In this explosive new thriller, one of the most incredible and frightening discoveries mankind has ever faced is about to surface. On an oil platform in the middle of the North Atlantic, a terrifying series of illnesses is spreading through the cre ...more
Danna
Jul 04, 2013 Danna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another bout of summertime indulgence! Spent the morning reading Deep Storm and once again thought Lincoln Child (and his writing partner, Douglas Preston) should write screenplays for SyFy movies or at least have more of their books made into movies. They would certainly be more entertaining than SyFy's endless marathons of "reality" shows or WWF Smackdown, though a part of me finds it hilarious to have pro wrestling classified as science fiction. But I digress.

To the Editors of Messrs. Child a
C.C. Thomas
Feb 04, 2012 C.C. Thomas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I admit to being captured by this book before I even started reading it. Any hint of 'Atlantis' does that to me. Alas, that fascination soon turned to boring doldrums and I couldn't wait to be finished with it, finally not even caring what the great mystery was.

Dr. Peter Crane is called to a highly secretive sub-oceanic research facility because of mysterious illnesses that have been reported. What is causing the illnesses is a mystery that Dr. Crane seems ideally suited to solve. Unfortunately,
Zdenka M.
Apr 11, 2015 Zdenka M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kniha se sice z počátku čte trochu pomaleji, ale jakmile dr. Crane pronikne do podmořského komplexu, tak už vše ubíhá rychle a čtenář si užívá vědecko-technických blábolů. Když se spolu baví dva vědci, tak jim laik němá šanci rozumět, ale jinak je kniha plná akce a hlavně touhy po poznání.
Závěr je naprosto dokonalý a ponechává mnoho otázek, které jsou sice vyřčeny, ale je na čtenáři, zda nad nimi pouvažuje.
"Hlubinná bouře" je zvláštní kniha, která v sobě ukrývá science fiction i psychologický a
Melissa Norton
Feb 27, 2010 Melissa Norton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another page-turning science thriller from the coauthor of the Pendergast series, among others. Dr Peter Crane is summoned to a remote drilling platform in the North Atlantic to treat an unusual medical condition that has appeared among the crew of a project called Deep Storm. Two years earlier, the drilling program had been secretly suspended after unusual data emerged from the deep-sea sensors. Fans of the Preston-Child thrillers know what to expect here -- heroic scientists, military coverups ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please change description to Finnish 3 18 Jan 26, 2017 04:42AM
Read it again? 4 44 Sep 15, 2013 09:27PM
Ask Preston & Child!: Quiz for Deep Storm fans 1 16 Mar 23, 2012 10:06AM
  • Mount Dragon
  • Deep Fathom
  • Antarktos Rising (Origins, #4)
  • Event (Event Group Thriller #1)
  • Raising Atlantis (Conrad Yeats Adventure #1)
Lincoln Child was born in Westport, Connecticut, which he still calls his hometown (despite the fact that he left the place before he reached his first birthday and now only goes back for weekends).

Lincoln seemed to have acquired an interest in writing as early as second grade, when he wrote a short story entitled Bumble the Elephant (now believed by scholars to be lost). Along with two dozen shor
More about Lincoln Child...

Jeremy Logan (5 books)
  • Terminal Freeze (Jeremy Logan, #2)
  • The Third Gate (Jeremy Logan, #3)
  • The Forgotten Room (Jeremy Logan, #4)
  • Full Wolf Moon (Jeremy Logan, #5)