Start by marking “A Lancaster County Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Lancaster County Christmas

A Lancaster County Christmas (Lancaster County Secrets)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  2,292 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
Jaime and C. J. Fitzpatrick began their married life as most couples do--in love and looking forward to a bright future together. But four years later they've drifted apart and are almost ready to call it quits.

Published October 1st 2011 by Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group (first published September 1st 2011)

Kathryn
I’m giving this 3.5 stars. It is the first book that I have read about Amish people, and I enjoyed it. I liked the juxtaposition of Amish people living in a modern day world and coming into contact with contemporary non-Amish people. It was a bit disconcerting how the non-Amish people (Americans) were referred to as English by the Amish - I kept thinking for a split second that I’d mistaken the continent the book is set in!

I liked the storyline of the non-Amish couple being stuck with the Amish
Katherine Coble
Dec 16, 2011 Katherine Coble rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Ugh.

This was my first attempt in nearly 15 years at reading Amish fiction.

I grew up Mennonite, in and around the Amish of Northeastern Indiana.

This book (or as far into it as I was able to go) fetishizes them, turning them (us) into quaint cartoons.

Amish, Mennonite, Shakers and Quakers are real people. We aren't angels and we aren't one dimensional foils like Disney bunnies who exist to teach Englishers life lessons.
Debbie Landry
Dec 26, 2016 Debbie Landry rated it liked it
I am a sucker for these kinds of books/movies..... Christmas love/faith/humanity, etc. This book was well done, appreciative of the documentation of the Lancaster PA Amish as they are dear to me and my family visits often. I liked the characters: their strengths and weaknesses and how those both ebbed and flower during the book.
Kristin

It’s almost Christmas!!! Are you as excited as I am? I love Christmas novels and novellas. It really puts me in the Christmas mood. This book was really fantastic and covered everything I look for in a Christmas tale. Between these pages you will find love, forgiveness and most important—peace that comes from a relationship with the Lord. Suzanne Woods Fisher is quickly becoming a favorite in the Amish genre for me—largely based on the biblical wisdom that seeps from the pages and into my heart.
Sep 05, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Title: A LANCASTER COUNTY CHRISTMAS
Author: Suzanne Fisher Woods
Publisher: Revell
September 2011
ISBN: 978-0-8007-1995-1
Genre: Inspirational/Amish/Women’s fiction

Jaime has not been handling life so well since her mother was killed in a freak accident. She’s been on sleeping pills to try and cope, but when she needs her prescription refilled, there’s a different doctor seeing her, and he gently suggests that maybe she needs a different sort of help, something more than sleeping pills.

Mattie is an Am
Amber Stokes
Jul 07, 2011 Amber Stokes rated it really liked it
If you're looking for tinsel and mistletoe, stockings and Christmas trees, or Santa Clause and Frosty the Snowman, you won't find them in A Lancaster County Christmas. But you will find authentic characters learning about the simple and powerful message of Emmanuel - God with us - at Christmastime. And the sweet simplicity is refreshing, indeed!

But if the message and the setting are "simple," the situations are quite the opposite. Fisher's characters are unique and yet real. Fisher doesn't omit
Mary  O'Brien
Oct 28, 2011 Mary O'Brien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
According to Good Reads:

Mattie Riehl was hoping to give her husband Sol the Christmas gift they have both longed for--news that a baby was on the way. But as usual, she is disappointed. The holidays bring an acute awareness to Mattie that her dream of a big family isn't likely to become a
Elaine
Who would have thought that such insight would be found in this Plain woman? Mattie and Jaime learn much about themselves over the few days when they were snowed in, in the Amish house. What could these women have to offer the other?

Believing that God could have prevented her mother's death, Jaime has been mad at Him for a long time. She believes her marriage to C.J. is over. That he doesn't love her anymore. She doesn't understand what he ever saw in her anyway. After sharing this with Mattie,
Faye
Sep 10, 2011 Faye rated it really liked it
A Lancaster County Christmas is a heart-warming read that will put you right into the spirit to celebrate the birth of our Saviour.

I found the depth of the characters' emotions and the struggles they were going through well portrayed. The main characters were well-rounded, and it wasn't long before my heart went out to them. In other words it was a book that made a very lovely Christmas movie in my head. I could see all of it.

My favorite character was Danny, mostly because he was just so cute!
Valentina
Aug 22, 2011 Valentina rated it liked it
I received this book as a review copy, for free.
This is a lovely story, not what I usually read, but one I’m glad I picked up.
The atmosphere is the best thing about it. There is such a cozy feeling throughout the novel, with winter winds gusting and the characters all inside a warm cabin. It creates many beautiful scenes that make the reader want to actually stay inside the pages a bit longer. The plot is an interesting one. Lots of twists to the characters, which make the book read more like a
Kristi
Dec 08, 2013 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book by Suzanne Woods Fisher that I've read and it will definitely not be the last! This well-written book about an Amish couple and an English woman who meet in the doctor's office waiting room right before Christmas and end up spending Christmas Eve together is a quick, feel-good holiday read. I don't want to give away any details and spoil the book for anyone but this was one of the best Christmas books I've ever read!

There was nothing about this book I didn't like. The ch
Loraine
Nov 04, 2012 Loraine rated it really liked it
An "Englisher" couple, Jaimie and C.J, on their way to her father's gets stuck at an Amish family's house two days before Christmas. Jaimie who has lost her mother and lost her way with God has attached herself to things while C.J., a junior high teacher, search and rescue volunteer and a man finding his way to God again, wants a simpler life. They have grown apart as their paths have taken them different directions. The Amish family, Mattie, Sol, their son Danny and cousin Zach, are facing thei ...more
Beth
This was a surprisingly sweet story about an English couple facing a rocky marriage & the Amish family that they end up spending Christmas with. Though the book is short, the story was very fleshed out. I definitely felt like I got to know the characters, and they all became real people to me. I think Mattie was my favorite character. Her backstory of miscarriage was so heart-breaking, but her faith was beautiful to witness. I felt that all of the characters grew & changed in very realis ...more
Tatuu
Nov 22, 2012 Tatuu rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful read not just for Christmas but for any time of the year. It was my first read on the Amish people and I really loved it.

Gods love for us remains perfect. It doesn't change even in our unfaithfulness, when we doubt Him and don't leave everything to Him even when we claim to have totally surrendered our lives to Him.

I was reminded in this book that sometimes we chase things to fulfill us, or rather to fill a void in our hearts whereas what we are really lacking is God i
SheLove2Read
Jul 02, 2015 SheLove2Read rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Loosely related to The Choice, this is about two couples - one English and one Amish - who spend a Christmas weekend together after an unfortunate situation with a car, a pond, and a bad winter storm.

I think the title is a misnomer. While it does take place during the Christmas holiday, there is very little to do with the actual celebration. It's a story about difficult decisions, taking a step back and looking realistically at your situation, and trusting in God. I think both families benefite
Judy
Oct 08, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing
This was a most fascinating read. I love Suzanne Woods Fisher's books and she did not disappoint me with this one. I enjoyed how two families are thrown together due to the weather.

Is it possible that an Amish couple and an English couple could help each other out? Mattie and Jaime are both agonizing over issues in their lives. Insecurities, lack of faith, and restlessness to a name a few.

Sometimes it takes a wake up call for us to listen to what God wants for our lives. Will the wake up call in
Melisa
Feb 16, 2013 Melisa rated it really liked it
Once you figure out that the story is being told by like 5 different voices (characters) then it is easy to follow and gives you 5 interesting points of view. All of the characters were struggling with something, and their chance meeting gave them all new perspectives. I love that idea! I will read her books again. The Amish bits are intriguing too since it is a culture I know very little about.
Rhonda Gayle
Mar 11, 2013 Rhonda Gayle rated it it was amazing
I was moved by this book as Mattie worries like I do and had to seek forgiveness from God. Jamie
wants to give up and run away as I also struggle with doing far too often. Mattie and Sol willingly welcomed Jamie & C.J. into their Amish home at Christmas time. Mattie ans Jamie are both searching for peace. Read to see if/how these two women from different worlds discover their own peace.
ѦѺ™
Dec 14, 2012 ѦѺ™ rated it it was amazing
inspiring, heartfelt and a perfect holiday read! this fast-paced book is filled with flesh and blood characters whose actions, dreams, frustrations and hopes reminded me of myself and other people i know. thumbs up!
RebekahAshleigh
This is one of my favorite Christmas books. It is so good. The whole story takes place in 3 days, but it didn't drag on. This story is about Solomon and Mattie Riehl who you meet in "The Choice". This is definitely a book that I will read again.
Paula
Feb 03, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
This was a very enjoyable Christmas novel. An Amish story with the true meaning of Christmas
Lesley
Dec 02, 2015 Lesley rated it liked it
sweet inspiring story for the holiday season
Keith
Dec 02, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God often works in way that we don't expect

When things don't go as we have planned it is easy to get frustrated, but what a blessing it often is to look back later and to see God's hand in it all. This is a great story of two very different couples, both struggling with their own problems, who were forced to spend a few days together through circumstances beyond their control, but God used each to work in the lives of other. A good read with some poignant reminders for us all.
Donna
Feb 07, 2017 Donna rated it it was amazing
I love books about the Amish and this wasn't a disappointment. It showed how the Amish and English can help each other in their endevours. Mattie helped Jamie see her selfish ways, and CJ came through with Sol and Zack in searching for Danny. Finally Sol agreed that Zack wasn't any different than he was a t that age, after Zack found Danny. A happy ending to a very good Christmas book.
Melanie Kilsby
A sweet story of two worlds finding contentment with who they are and acceptance with the love they already have surrounding them.

The PERFECT Christmas book to snuggle up by the fire, let the snow fall and pop some real popcorn!
Lynne Hamilton
Dec 17, 2016 Lynne Hamilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God is with us

This book has an awesome way of reminding us, God is with us all the time...we just over look it. The book has mystery, intrigue, love, and soul searching....I'm off to find more by this author!~
Marilyn Renaudin
Dec 31, 2016 Marilyn Renaudin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story

A lovely story of different cultures coming together and learning about each other and themselves.. a tale of lessons learned.
Gretchen
Dec 31, 2016 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Last book of 2016!
Laurie Carlson
“A Lancaster County Christmas” by Suzanne Woods Fisher

It is the day before Christmas Eve. A large snowstorm is brewing outside and the first snowflakes are starting to fall and stick to the ground. Everyone who is out only wants to get home before this snowstorm hits, and hits hard. These two couples are brought together by fate, or God; a plain couple and an Amish couple, while at the local doctors office. As the young married woman is about to leave the doctor’s office, the doctor asked her a
Linda Klager
Jan 11, 2017 Linda Klager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of forgiveness and grace. We all can benefit from reading this book.
  • Christmas in Sugarcreek (Seasons of Sugarcreek)
  • Naomi's Gift (Kauffman Amish Bakery -- Christmas Stories #2)
  • The Christmas Singing (Apple Ridge #2)
  • A Simple Amish Christmas
  • An Amish Christmas: December in Lancaster County
  • Sarah's Christmas Miracle
  • The Christmas Quilt (Brides of Amish Country, #5)
  • A Plain & Fancy Christmas
  • A Time to Heal (Quilts of Lancaster County, #2)
  • The Gift of Christmas Present
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • Remembering Christmas
  • White Christmas Pie
1922565
Suzanne Woods Fisher is the bestselling, award winning author of fiction and non-fiction books about the Old Order Amish for Revell Books, host of the radio-show-turned-blog Amish Wisdom, a columnist for Christian Post and Cooking & Such magazine.

Her interest in the Amish began with her grandfather, who was raised Plain. A theme in her books (her life!) is that you don’t have to “go Amish” to
More about Suzanne Woods Fisher...

Lancaster County Secrets (3 books)
  • The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets #1)
  • The Waiting (Lancaster County Secrets, #2)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)

“When did wishing someone a Merry Christmas become politically incorrect?” 50 likes
“Poor communication doesn't disconnet souls. It's the disconnected souls who poorly communicate.” 9 likes