Start by marking “The Black City” as Want to Read:
The Black City

The Black City

Set against the backdrop of France's industrial revolution, this 1859 novel by the controversial, passionately socialist George Sand follows the fortunes of the dynamic, young metal smith Etienne Lavoute, known as Sept-Epees (or Seven Blades), as he strives to free himself not from the working class but from the woes imposed upon it by grasping mill owners. While ambition
Published March 11th 2004 by Da Capo Press (first published 1860)

To ask other readers questions about The Black City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black City

Gina
Aug 22, 2012 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Though I loved Sand's simple, concrete, and human writing style immensely, I cannot forgive her the last quarter of this book. The ending devolved into serendipitous conveniences and clichéd parlor tricks for testing a man's love through deception. In bringing her two love interests together in order to share their 19th century happily ever after (a wedding), Sand forsakes all the subtlety of their proceeding characterization.

I will be reading George Sand again, but I hope in the next book I re
Ce
Jul 30, 2011 Ce rated it really liked it
Got it for 1.90 dollars new...a tribute to George Sand and her dreams of a more equitable society. Despite her powerful opinion, her books reflects that in the end she is a woman...in love of life. One more for her!
Lily
LbW selection, May, 2008. Enjoyed this introduction to George Sand, but found the writing, at least the translation, wooden. Would still like to read her Consuelo (1842).
Laura Edwards
Aug 08, 2015 Laura Edwards rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
I originally gave this book 4 stars, but after thinking about it I've changed the rating to a 3. This is by far my least favorite book by Sand. I enjoyed "Horace" much more and it only received a 4, so I really couldn't justify a 4 star rating for this book, too.
Lauren
Jan 24, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok
Sand is more fascinating in her actual life than in her works. Her prose is bland and her themes tired.
Steve Gordon
A somewhat simple tale of utopian socialist tint - though I did enjoy the class consciousness of the characters.
Stephanie A.
Jan 01, 2013 Stephanie A. rated it it was ok
I remember a lot of symbolism going on, which is always helpful, but the actual story was super bland.
Rhonda Hankins
Enjoyed the writing and the story enough to be curious to read more George Sand.
Dwayne Ravello
Dwayne Ravello rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Tina Kover
Jan 04, 2008 Tina Kover rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Regan Becker
Regan Becker rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Odyssey52
Odyssey52 rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2009
Travis Blanchard
Travis Blanchard rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Lydia
Lydia rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2010
Sara Thompson
Sara Thompson rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2008
Allie
Allie rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2014
sandra
sandra rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2015
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Jeffrey Keeten
Jeffrey Keeten rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Marell
Marell rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2012
Hania
Hania rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2016
Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin, later Baroness (French:baronne) Dudevant (1 July 1804 – 8 June 1876), best known by her pseudonym George Sand (French pronunciation: [ʒɔʁʒ sɑd]), was a French novelist. She is considered by some a feminist although she refused to join this movement. She is regarded as the first French female novelist to gain a major reputation.

Sand's reputation came into question when
More about George Sand...