Start by marking “Horace” as Want to Read:
Horace

Horace

The first English-language edition of a major work by George Sand. Translated by the winner of the 1994 BOMC-PEN Translation Award. "A courageous work, nowadays unjustly neglected." -- Renee Winegarten "Sand develops her most advanced political, social and sexual views in this classic work." -- Feminist Bookstore News
Published October 19th 1995 by Mercury House (first published 1842)

To ask other readers questions about Horace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horace

Helynne
Jun 22, 2009 Helynne rated it really liked it
In Horace, which was motivated by a quarrel between author George Sand and fellow novelist Marie d'Agoult, Sand portrays her friend in a most unflattering manner as the vain and peevish Vicomtesse Leonie de Cahilly. The unfolding of the plot shows the Vicountess Cahilly as flagrantly amoral, egotistical and vindictive, an indifferent mother and un unfaithful wife who indulges herself in numerous affairs, and eventually wreaks petty revenge on the title character, the feckless Latin Quarter dand ...more
Laura Edwards
Nov 12, 2014 Laura Edwards rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I don't know which character annoyed me more, Horace, who is completely unredeemable. Or Theophile, the narrator, who seemed naively blind to Horace's faults and continually made excuses for his friend's behavior. Too bad we didn't get more from Marthe or Eugenie's POV, although at the time the book was written, this is not surprising.

Eugenie is my favorite character. A strong, independent woman who is never fooled by Horace. And one of the main themes is still relevant today. Marthe displays a
Chris Sherman
Oct 15, 2007 Chris Sherman rated it liked it
Read this before you go to France to be an intellectual.
Brigid
Apr 24, 2009 Brigid rated it it was ok
This was the first George Sand book I've read, and it was alright - interesting more from a historical point of view than as a work of literature, but worth a read for that aspect alone. This work was scandalous in its day, and even today there are some people who would consider it's valorous stand against marriage a bit shocking. Well, not against marriage per se, but rather in favor of unmarried domestic commitment, something couples still struggle with.

One of the stranger things about this b
Sugar
Jan 14, 2013 Sugar rated it it was amazing
I`m very happy and amazed from this book. It really showed me many different and strage aspects of human behaviour, which is the saame no matter of the time and era. The characters are not equal, and the only note is that so gorgeous as writer George Sand can`t hide her real feelings to the "personage" of Horace. He is described as highly egoistic, and selfconfident person, whos only aim is to be loved and adored, to succeed no matter in what price. He can`t have real value for the life, and he ...more
C
May 13, 2016 C rated it it was amazing
George Sand's writing is filled with moral force and courage. She is a bright light for women and humanity. This brilliant novel is filled with generosity, compassion, friendship, loyalty, warmth and the authors greatness of Spirit. Her writing helps me know better my own history as a woman, and the cultural imprints we carry generations latter. She touches our common humanity with great grace, wit and charm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace Per wikipedia Horace is an ancient Greek poet - po
Steve Gordon
I'd say this novel delivered on all of its promises. Revolutionary street fighting. Yes. Struggles of working class women to take control of their lives in the Paris of 1830s. Indeed. A young man's journey through student, lover, fop, and finally adulthood (reminiscent in some ways of Balzac's Lost Illusions). Check. Well written. Of course. Always remember boys and girls - George Sand will never let you down.
Wendy Roberts
Aug 31, 2015 Wendy Roberts rated it liked it
French novelists tend to find happy endings for their characters and to be forgiving of the sins of their protagonists and this book proves the case in point. An enjoyable half-heavy/half-light read. This was my first foray into Sand and I might try another of his novels, assuming that Horace is not considered to be his finest work.
Ruthmgon
Feb 09, 2008 Ruthmgon rated it really liked it
"neglected literary classics" That is what this is. I love classic english lit, and this is just like it only French. I like that it is set during real 18th century french uprisings and feels quite modern at the same time. Brace yourself for the annoying but realistic cad, I really enjoyed it. not a fast read at all. Not found in my library at all I am going to donate this one.
Kerry
Dec 30, 2010 Kerry rated it it was ok
loved the beginning, hated the long boring middle, liked the end but wanted more of it. a few too many fever and fainting spells throughout. but i do appreciate the then(1840)-groundbreaking tale of the fallen woman emerging victorious.
Chris
Nov 11, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing
How wonderful to find a feminist novel written in 1941. George Sand's witty and insightful writing about French politics and characters of the time brings us a remarkably modern trio of protagonists. I am very grateful to Zack Rogow for finding this gem and translating it so well.
Shay
Aug 10, 2007 Shay rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a classic
I love George Sand. She played with gender roles (gave her self a masculine pen name) and always paints a powerful picture of life in France in the 1800's.
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2011
Alice Poon
Alice Poon rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Sophy
Sophy rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2010
Chantal
Chantal rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2009
Lauren Wise
Lauren Wise rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2008
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2011
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Teresa Trencher
Teresa Trencher rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Darima Tsoktoeva
Darima Tsoktoeva rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Tohf345
Tohf345 rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2013
Michel
Michel rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Francine Lily Woman
Francine Lily Woman rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2012
Sarah Bates gray
Sarah Bates gray rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Kaascat
Kaascat rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Micebyliz
Micebyliz rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2016
Amy Masonis
Amy Masonis rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Gamiani, or Two Nights of Excess
  • Son Excellence Eugène Rougon (Les Rougon-Macquart, #6)
  • Le Capitaine Fracasse
  • Impressionism: Art, Leisure, and Parisian Society
  • A Daughter Of Eve
  • Les Thibault I: Le Cahier Gris; Le Penitencier; La Belle Saison
  • Viper's Tangle
Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin, later Baroness (French:baronne) Dudevant (1 July 1804 – 8 June 1876), best known by her pseudonym George Sand (French pronunciation: [ʒɔʁʒ sɑd]), was a French novelist. She is considered by some a feminist although she refused to join this movement. She is regarded as the first French female novelist to gain a major reputation.

Sand's reputation came into question when
More about George Sand...